As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Camp Comic] Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - Real Talk

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2017 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - Real Talk

Real Talk

Real Talk

http://campcomic.com/comic/445

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    thegoldsmiththegoldsmith Registered User regular
    Aw Seventeen :)

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    When the fake and virtual become indistinguishable from the real, at what point does it matter what reality is?

• Options
    DublinDublin Registered User regular
    Brian really wasn't paying attention, until he felt a small poke in his ribs. Looking down, he saw the girl known as Seventeen. Satisfied with this observation, he went back to gazing into the Multiverse.

• Options
    MikeLinPAMikeLinPA Registered User regular
    @Briguy: The point it matters is when you are involuntarily strapped into a VR device while your thoughts and/or bodily processes are harvested against your will. That is the point it matters.

• Options
    Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    I do this every day but the simulation will not break down...

Thus, time to go to work, sigh...

/tries one more time...darn this persistent reality!

• Options
    DWS6DWS6 Registered User new member
    "darn this persistent reality!"

Did you really want to wake up to discover that you're just a brain in a jar?

• Options
    ajax1515ajax1515 Registered User regular
    "at what point does it matter what reality is?"

Rather...

"at what point does it cease to matter what reality is?"

Are webcomics becoming the new medium for philosophical discourse? I think definitely maybe... xkcd, smbc-comics, all-night-laundry, campcomic... and many more...

• Options
    Killer KlownKiller Klown Registered User new member
    Enh. I tried Reality. The graphics are awesome, but the storyline sucks.

• Options
    chiggerwoodchiggerwood Registered User new member
    Of course you're real seventeen. I mean, you're not living in a fantasy land, you're dead and this is purgatory. At least that's my theory.

• Options
    BaronbrianBaronbrian Registered User regular
    @ajax1515: no, I wouldn't say they're the new medium. You can introduce the concepts in short form comics and get your fans interested in reading more about them but you can't really have much of a discourse there or in-depth reading. For that I'd say reading is still the way to go. Basically the concept of tangential learning.

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Then it turns out we're all just characters in a webcomic and nothing is real.

Showsni on
  • Options
    StonefootStonefoot Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I think the first panel illustrates just how completely we get drawn into the reality of the camp and campers when we read this comic. Specifically: Try to think of some other context where a character could say "Of course the dirt here is real. I just ate some this morning!" and no one would see a reason to comment on that.

Now, about reality: A guy I used to work with pointed out that there are a lot of things in reality that don't seem to make any sense unless you assume our universe is a simulation, and [ib]it's written in BASIC.[/b/i] (If that's true, then Brian and Seventeen are probably more real than you and I.)

Stonefoot on
  • Options
    StonefootStonefoot Registered User regular
    Well, so much for italics and bold.

• Options
    Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    Nothing is as disquieting as flighty, solid Seventeen doubting the reality she's in. A shovel has just been driven into the soil that sustains us and turned our feet over. Where do we stand now?

• Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    So Malachi has successfully transferred his wangst to Seventeen.

• Options
    Reality exists because I will it. Everyone and everything are merely constructs created by me. You, you exist because I've willed it. And before you say, well, what if I'm willing you into existence, know that I've already started the loop of this thought and therefore am the progenitor.
    As proof of my unlimited power, behold italics and bold.

• Options
    Lepidolite MicaLepidolite Mica Registered User new member
    That's not italicized, though...

• Options
    That's not italicized, though...

You see what I want you to see.

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    She is too cute!

• Options
    phillipPborphillipPbor Registered User regular
    boop

• Options
    phillipPborphillipPbor Registered User regular
    back to reality.

• Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    The Matrix?

• Options
    SkizzSkizz Registered User regular
    Yeah, most people object if you poke them to make sure they are real. Found THAT out the hard way.

• Options
    xUsakoxUsako Registered User regular
    Who comes up with the title puns? They're consistently amazing, and I usually hate puns.

• Options
    xUsako wrote: »
    Who comes up with the title puns? They're consistently amazing, and I usually hate puns.

I believe they've said Adam comes up with them.
    He's a pretty smart guy IMO.

• Options
    TemilyEmilyTemilyEmily Registered User regular
    OMG. I didn't understand that she was poking him, and thus didn't understand the joke. I thought she was pointing at something in the distance.

• Options
    davidhbrowndavidhbrown Registered User regular
    @TemilyEmily, there's a very faint extra wrinkle in Brian's sweatshirt as Seventeen pokes... about as easy to see as a cat ;-)

• Options
    SargeSarge Registered User regular
    briguy wrote: »
    Reality exists because I will it. Everyone and everything are merely constructs created by me. You, you exist because I've willed it. And before you say, well, what if I'm willing you into existence, know that I've already started the loop of this thought and therefore am the progenitor.
    As proof of my unlimited power, behold italics and bold.

Oh sweet lard, it's true! We're all fictional characters!

• Options
    Laika ClementineLaika Clementine Registered User regular
    Awww.....she doesn't want to lose her closest friend..... :)

• Options
    XacUop10XacUop10 Registered User new member
    Awwww that poke