As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tabata out at SQuenix. [Final Fantasy] XV development to end prematurely (finally?).

silence1186silence1186 Character shields down!As a wingmanRegistered User regular
edited November 2018 in Games and Technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNbLoxhasRA

Dissidia NT has finally come West! Honestly it's gotten kind of a chilly reception. There was an open beta to test it, which has since closed. Also it requires a Playstation Plus account to access the online multiplayer functionality. Still, if you like the original Dissidia, it's there for you to try! Or maybe you'd prefer its free to play cousin, Opera Omnia? It's a new mobile gacha game set in the same universe. Reception to that game has actually been pretty good, so much so that discussion is being spun off into yet another Mobile Final Fantasy thread.

This is the thread for talking about Square Enix's flagship series, Final Fantasy, originally released in 1987. For a while they decided they didn't like releasing new games, and kept porting old games to new platforms, Something wonderful has happened, and Square Enix released a new mainline Final Fantasy (well kind of).

Final Fantasy XV released on November 29th, 2016. The last time a Final Fantasy was released was three years ago, if you count the MMO reboot, six years ago, if you count the MMO's original release, or SEVEN years ago, if you don't count MMOs at all. There's been some sequels and side games released in the interim, but there has been a general dearth of Final Fantasy, and this major installment has been a long time coming for fans of the series.

The game that is Final Fantasy XV was originally conceived as Final Fantasy XIII-Versus. It was supposed to share a common mythos in the Fabula Nova Crystallis, which also contains Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Type-0 (originally Final Fantasy XIII-Agito).

The original game was conceived as a darker Kingdom Hearts style action-RPG, and was going to be headed by Tetsuya Nomura. It was announced at E3 2006.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6At_bb1PNU

Given that at the time the PS3 hadn't been released, and it is now 2016, the era of the PS4 Pro, it's fair to say that the game fell into development hell for a while.

What I will lovingly call "shenanigans" ensued, and because of the turmoil in the FF series over the past few years, the game that was FF13-Versus was scrapped, and it was rebuilt into Final Fantasy XV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbwm-mzm5QA

It got a new director, Hajime Tabata, and we started getting occasional drips of information about the game. As the years kept on, the drips of information turned into a stream, until they finally had a huge release date announcement event called Uncovered: Final Fantasy XV, where we got a flood of new information about the game, the universe, and all the tie in materials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0I7J17nkxM

They also announced the game's release date as September 30th, 2016.

"But wait," you say, "it's well past September 30th, 2016, and I know how dates and time works!"

Well unfortunately, the game needed a bit more polish and optimization, so the game was pushed back instead of releasing a version of the game that potentially would have disappointed fans after their long wait. That wait is now over, and the game is available for purchase.

The most recent trailers (beware spoilers):

Update: FFXV is still being actively developed by SQEX. They've continued to release patches, with episodes focusing on Gladio, Prompto, and Ignis, as well as multiplayer functionality. They've also updated the main game with improvements from the extra chapters, and are planning to overhaul the main game again and add additional improvements. It also looks like it's coming to PC. Watch this space for updates.

A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

MAIN SERIES

They've made FIFTEEN (I am so happy to be able to write that) main series games and over fifty spin off titles. Here's what the fans says about them.
I love Final Fantasy because you have to start somewhere.
I love Final Fantasy II because I like hitting myself for stat ups.
I love Final Fantasy III because it allowed me to stop being a hippy and get a job for the first time.
I love Final Fantasy IV because I don't have enough versions of it yet.
I love Final Fantasy V because I can play it for charity.
I hate Final Fantasy VI because I'm a soulless monster without any redeeming qualities.
I love Final Fantasy VII because it's getting remade, naturally.
I love Final Fantasy VIII because I'm a Triple Triad cardshark. There was a fun minigame about saving the world included too.
I love Final Fantasy IX because "Steiner, please, look behind you!"
I love Final Fantasy X because blitzball is rad.
I love Final Fantasy XI because it kept Square Enix in business.
I love Final Fantasy XII because I can finally play the IZJS!.
I love Final Fantasy XIII because I can't get enough Lightning.
I love Final Fantasy XIV because Stormblood is great!
I love Final Fantasy XV because it continues to exist. SQEX thanks you for beta testing the game for them.

SPIN OFFS

Every time profits are down SE makes some more FF games. There are a lot of them, too many to list them all so I'll just continue the theme with the more popular ones.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics because I love grid based movement.
I hate Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles because I have no friends.
I hate Final Fantasy Mystic Quest because it's too easy and I don't like having fun.
I love Final Fantasy X-2 because it really is the ultimate expression of both ATB and the Job system. Also I understand math so Sphere Breaker ain't shit.
I love Dissidia because it's included in its entirety in its sequel.
I love FF XIII-2 because monsters are great at parties.
I love Crisis Core because Zack is an unbeatable hero.
I love Theatrhythm because Square Enix has the best music.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance because just one more turn.
I love Dissidia Duodecim 012 Final Fantasy because you can settle which Final Fantasy is best for all time with your fists.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 because more of the same is exactly what you need when the same is fantastic.
I love Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns because it was either this or no new games at all.
I love Final Fantasy Dimensions because I love Final Fantasy V.
I hate Final Fantasy Record Keeper because it became a monster unto itself.
I love Final Fantasy Explorers because Monster Hunter is a good game, right?
I love World of Final Fantasy because I can stack pocket sized Final Fantasy monsters on my head to do battle!
I love Dissidia NT because I can finally fight my friends online with my favorite FF character!
I love DFF Opera Omnia because it's a bite sized Final Fantasy with bite sized characters!

WHICH VERSION IS BEST?

There's a version of almost everything for almost everything these days. However, avoid the PSX version of FF5 unless it's your only option.

THE PRESENT

Square Enix has managed to get their shit together long enough that they've started releasing new content.

FF Type-0: Was Final Fantasy 13 Agito, changed to Final Fantasy Type-0, and came out on the PSP in Japan only. Fans clamored for this one for a long time, and finally the West got a localization... as an HD version for consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT-N_MHg6kE

Update: They also fixed the nausea inducing camera blur, so if that was holding you back, give it another shot!

It came out, and it's pretty sweet. I highly recommend picking it up. It's an Action-RPG with a new and interesting story (and direction) for the Final Fantasy series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Gz7BislTw

World of Final Fantasy. A new game that hits most of the standard jRPG notes, but with a most excellent presentation. You play as two protagonists who have to collect miniaturized versions of classic Final Fantasy monsters, stack them on your head so you can fight other classic Final Fantasy monsters, and all the while interact with miniaturized classic Final Fantasy heroes in a brand new world. This game is upbeat and lighthearted, but has plenty of content to enjoy.

Finally you can play the International Zodiac Job System!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_L15cLOkM0

Final Fantasy International Zodiac Job System released on July 11th, 2017. This is a new version of FF12 never before distributed in the West by Square Enix. It features a number of changes and improvements to the base game. Definitely check it out if you've never played FF12, and maybe still check it out if you played the original, since there's plenty of freshness for veterans. Plus that amazing soundtrack.

There is a new Dissidia that came out. It was available in Japan in arcades for about a year, and then they ported it to console to tap other markets (such as the West). Expect it maybe in 2017.

(I know it's confusing after all those FF7 videos, but don't let the thumbnail fool you. This is a Dissidia video).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK-3vmgXyok

Update: Dissidia Arcade has officially been ported to console as Dissidia NT. Expect it January 30th, 2018. Trailer up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNbLoxhasRA

Square Enix has yet another mobile game in the pipes, DISSIDIA Final Fantasy Opera Omnia. This one appears to based on the Dissidia universe, and shares some similarities in gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5jA7ONvat0

THE FUTURE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kznek1uNVsg

I've had a little time to process this, so no more yelling is required, but yes, the long awaited, long asked for remake of Final Fantasy VII has been confirmed. Of all the times Square Enix has asked us to be excited, now would be the opportune moment.

Update: Combat sneak peek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHDoYM3CVK4

Some FF7 remake (FF7r) rumors courtesy of Professor Snugglesworth
Confirmed
-Will not be a 1:1 remake, will have story deviations

-"New story scenario" written by Nojima

-Development started in 2012, in-game assets beyond CG trailer exist

-Will retain some of the classic "humorous" elements; Cloud's dress is in

-Battle system will not be the same

Rumored:

-Will run on Unreal Engine

-CyberConnect assisting with development

-Console exclusivity currently in talks, may never come out on XBox One

-Aiming for T rating

-Next major update this Winter

-Original game will get new translation

Also if you want a quick laugh search Youtube for "FF7 remake reactions." There are some choice ones out there

FF16: Presumably eventually? No known info yet.

Final Fantasy's current MMO, Final Fantasy XIV

While it's totally kosher to talk about FF11 and FF14 here, keep in mind there is a dedicated FF14 MMO-specific thread.

Final Fantasy Mobile offerings

Final Fantasy Record Keeper's popularity grew so much that it dominated most of the discussion in the thread. As such it (and all mobile F2P Final Fantasy games) have been given their own threads.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius.

Mobius Final Fantasy.

Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia <Thread in works>

KINGDOM HEARTS

Is vaguely related to Final Fantasy, but has its own thread here.

BRAVELY DEFAULT

Is everything you might want in a Final Fantasy, and you can talk about it here.

FF5 FOUR JOB FIESTA
Do you have what it takes to play what is quite simply the most fun and addicting alternate game mode of any RPG ever? Do you want to help out sick children by raising money for the greatest charity in the world? Do you want to watch RK sleepily make his way through Neo-Exdeath with quite a sub standard party? If this sounds even remotely interesting well then, do I have a website for you.

The deal is you get four jobs from the normal set of 20+ and you can only use skills from those four. As you gain new job sets one job is randomly assigned to you and each assigned job must be equipped at all times on at least one party member. You get the wind job, you get four of those, you get the water job, your party must be made up at least one from your water job and one from your wind job and so on. There are variations

http://fourjobfiesta.com/

What do you need to start playing?

1. A copy of FF5. PSN version is cheapest and worst. SFC version is pretty cheap but in Japanese, GBA version is best but expensive, iOS version is a lot cheaper than that but has the issues standard with playing a game on iOS (easy screencaps though!)

2. A twitter account. Yeah I hate twitter too but I made some dummy accounts just for this.

3.Then all you do is sign up at the website (with any of the optional run ideas) and you can play from whenever RK beats the game until the end of August!

Where does the charity come in you say? Well, you can either pledge money to change whatever jobs RK is assigned for his inaugural run (1 dollar=1 extra vote for a job!) or you can pledge money for doing various deeds. If you can't donate money you'll notice that you can still earn money from other people's pledges by completing their goals (usually beating the game with a certain class, beating the two optional bosses,etc.) It's just like getting sponsors for a 10k back in school! You play, everyone wins.

Credit to @xenogears of bore for cannibalizing most of his OPs.

silence1186 on

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I can't tell you how much I'm loving XII right now. 4x speed up really helps in getting around the cities.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Heavy play of the original International version got me a bit spoiled on the graphical update (english patched emulator version), but the redone soundtrack, better menus, and double the jobs for characters really make me glad I bought it.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Correction to the OP, Stormblood is out and it's rad.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I'm playing right now. Not sure what the "OST" soundtrack option signifies?

edit: I know that OST means Original Soundtrack, but how does that differ from the "Original" option?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

edit: I know that OST means Original Soundtrack, but how does that differ from the "Original" option?

It's been reorchastrated. It definitely sounds familiar. . .but not. Lowtown is a good sample of what I'm thinking are the subtle changes to it.

Also gamechanger. Autosave on transition. Just died in Ginza and thought I lost 30 minutes.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    edited July 2017
    ED! wrote: »

It's been reorchastrated. It definitely sounds familiar. . .but not. Lowtown is a good sample of what I'm thinking are the subtle changes to it.

Also gamechanger. Autosave on transition. Just died in Ginza and thought I lost 30 minutes.

But there's a Reorchestrated option too.

What I'm saying is there are three options:

- Original
    - Reorchestrated
    - OST

What is OST here?

Drez on
    I don't see an "OST" option, only original and reorchestrated.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Bal Castle Basement is great if you have Blue Mage (difficult-but-lucrative enemies who are vulnerable to LV5 Death). Otherwise... not sure. The last room is great, because of Movers. You might still try Bal Basement, as you can still insta-kill the enemies with Soft potions/Gold Needles.

That's good advice for ABP, but I actually want XP for levelling up my characters. All the classes get maxed out pretty naturally during a fiesta run.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Anyone with the game mind telling me if there's an option to go to the original font for dialog and such? I'll play it regardless but it just doesn't FEEL right without it.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    korodullin wrote: »

Oh that's must be the DLC.

Was that exclusive to the Steelbook edition?

There was a code packed into the game. I have the three music options above when beginning the game.

• DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

There was a code packed into the game. I have the three music options above when beginning the game.

Yup, I remember there being a soundtrack DLC for the special version, the wording of which confused/amused me...

camo_sig2.png
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Anyone with the game mind telling me if there's an option to go to the original font for dialog and such? I'll play it regardless but it just doesn't FEEL right without it.

There is not. All of it has been updated to HD.

The OST likely links to an in-game music player?

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'd be curious to know what the difference between OST and "Original" are myself.

Also, can anyone tell me if there are specific triggers that need to exist mid-game to make the soundtrack change? I went into the menus and adjusted it from "Reorchestrated" to "Original" and nothing changed. Does it have to complete a track first? Or do you have to load a new area? Or what?

Double Also!

The music is so good in this game, you guys.

From what little I can find online, the "OST" option might be to enable the CD version of the original soundtrack, which apparently sounds different from the original PS2 .psf files.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Just started playing FFXII for the first time. Didn't understand the implication of the job system and made Vaan a Machinist without really reading about it. Turns out I should have gone a different direction; should I just restart now?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    So, in the bestiary they changed it from hand-drawn illustrations to the polygonal monster models for no reason at all.

Also, I see they went back to the original single-target Cure instead of the multi-target Cure that was in IJSV.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg

From what little I can find online, the "OST" option might be to enable the CD version of the original soundtrack, which apparently sounds different from the original PS2 .psf files.

Weird

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    So, in the bestiary they changed it from hand-drawn illustrations to the polygonal monster models for no reason at all.

Also, I see they went back to the original single-target Cure instead of the multi-target Cure that was in IJSV.

The OG bestiary was not hand-drawn. Go back and look at the screenshots. It was just the 3D model, lower-res, and posed before being screenshotted. This is far superior.

Also, Trial Mode in TZA is fucking awesome. You can basically farm LP and good items whenever you're near a save point, because it all transfers back to your save now.

Just started playing FFXII for the first time. Didn't understand the implication of the job system and made Vaan a Machinist without really reading about it. Turns out I should have gone a different direction; should I just restart now?

No. Just jump to the previous autosave. However definitely do not make him The Machinist. There is a character who would much prefer that role. In fact they all kind of have roles they are "designed" for. . .with the secondary License really being whatever you want them to be it would seem. Starting Vaan as the Shikari is probably for the best as he gets massive HP buffs and some decent damage dealing from the start.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

What's wrong with Machinist? Do you lack guns early on?

• GyralGyral Registered User regular

The OG bestiary was not hand-drawn. Go back and look at the screenshots. It was just the 3D model, lower-res, and posed before being screenshotted. This is far superior.

Also, Trial Mode in TZA is fucking awesome. You can basically farm LP and good items whenever you're near a save point, because it all transfers back to your save now.

Really? I was pretty certain the bestiary was illustrated. Unless they just took stylized still shots of monsters.
    latest?cb=20110527021812

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

This is correct, the OST for the PS2 version was output with higher quality samples than for the game itself. Lowtown is a good example.

I remember listening to the OST a bunch before playing the game, then being confused by the music quality in the game itself.

ED! wrote: »

No. Just jump to the previous autosave. However definitely do not make him The Machinist. There is a character who would much prefer that role. In fact they all kind of have roles they are "designed" for. . .with the secondary License really being whatever you want them to be it would seem. Starting Vaan as the Shikari is probably for the best as he gets massive HP buffs and some decent damage dealing from the start.

Just curious what the "preferred" roles are for each character.

I started Vaan as the Shikari because that sounded the most like "thief" to me, and Vaan is a thief (in the story), so that one made sense. But I'm not sure about the rest of them.

Well... I mean I would guess that Balthier is preferred in the role of Machinist, since every promo picture of him has him holding a gun.

But the rest I'm curious about.

About 3.7 billion years ago, when I played the original North American release of XII on my PS2, I made Ashe my main tank and she has always kind of struck me as being "right" in that role, as the strong, female protagonist out to save her country. But I'm also assuming that the way I see Ashe specifically is probably very wrong from the mass public version of her, or the Square Enix version of her.

Really? I was pretty certain the bestiary was illustrated. Unless they just took stylized still shots of monsters.
    latest?cb=20110527021812

They're stylized still shots.

I made my Vaan a Machinist specifically because if I didn't, I'd have made him a Shikari just like every other time I've played the IZJS, and I wanted something different.

ZvOMJnu.png
    edited July 2017
    I actually did not get a chance to play nearly as much as I would like.

But man. This is so much fun. Again. I remember so very little about XII that it's almost as if I'm playing a brand new thing.

Really, since the PS2 days when I played the original release, the thing that has stuck with me the most about this game is the music. XII easily has my favorite music in series.

And strangely enough, the one and only other thing that has stuck with me is Penelo's utter uselessness to the story.

So Vaan is really just an accessory to the story. We all know the tale of how he was an 11th hour re-write into the story because test audiences said they couldn't identify with Basch, who is the rightful main character of the story. So they did a re-write, delayed the game, and invented Vaan to give their stupid test audiences a more relatable character. Bunch of fucking idiots, whoever they polled on that one. But that's getting off topic here. And anyway... Vaan is really just an accessory to the story, and largely irrelevant, other than being a spectator to the events unfolding around him. And then you have Penelo, who forces her way into the party so she could play "big sister" to Vaan and keep him out of trouble. She's a babysitter to an accessory. And that has always stuck with me. Not only is the main character completely useless, but there exists a character whose sole purpose is to be an annoying bitch to the main character. (Who is worthless.)

For some reason the sheer uselessness of Penelo has just always stuck with me. I dunno why. One would think that a character so entirely unimportant to anything at all would be forgettable. But just the opposite is true for me. I remember her utter uselessness to the story better than the role that other, more important characters played.

Lucascraft on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I started Vaan as a Shikari because I saw a fat row of +HP and +physical damage and thought yeah okay

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I think I got my job breakdown settled (whole party list and perspective from having beaten it once back in the day, hence the spoiler tag)
    rAz5Esf.png

My entire first time through the game back in the day, all I could think was 'what are these two horrible shitkids doing distracting camera time from these 4 awesome characters', so I just distributed the cool jobs between the people I liked and gave the two of them the jobs I didn't really care about. :P

Picking this up tomorrow, it somehow totally flew under my radar, had no idea it was out already.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I kinda view Vaan and Penelo each as one level of importance higher than most seem to.

I feel like Vaan works nicely as a dramatic foil to the questions Ashe faces. Kinda like Rydia occasionally did to Cecil in FFIV. I also like his perspective in the early game as a ground-level citizen living through the occupation. Whereas Penelo is on the level of tag-along character. Most others seem to see them as tag-along and sub-tag-along, instead.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I wish Reks was the protag.

Other than that 12 is one of my favorites, along with 8 sooooo I have unusual tastes I suppose.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    So does anyone know when you unlock the second job board for everyone? I feel that might inform my job selections for everybody more than anything.

ZvOMJnu.png
    So does anyone know when you unlock the second job board for everyone? I feel that might inform my job selections for everybody more than anything.

I read that it was after Belias. Forgot how far into the game that was.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Oh boy, job combinations. This is going to cause me no end of stress, indecision, and potentially flabby gas. I have a lot of reading ahead of me before I ever dare start up the game.

Here are my initial ideas, which are probably not OP or min-maxed, but they seemed to fit how I view each character:
    Vaan - Shikari / Foebreaker
    Balthier - Machinist / White Mage
    Fran - Red Battlemage / Archer
    Basch - Knight / Bushi
    Ashe - Uhlan / Time Battlemage
    Penelo - Monk / Black Mage

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Okay I may have hit the point that you guys were talking about in FFXV.

Is it Chapter 9/10?
    That Leviathan fight was awesome, but man the story gets really down immediately following. Ignis is blind now and Gladiolus is hating on Noctis something fierce. I hope we get back to the happy fun time soon, this shit is depressing.

urahonky wrote: »

Is it Chapter 9/10?
    That Leviathan fight was awesome, but man the story gets really down immediately following. Ignis is blind now and Gladiolus is hating on Noctis something fierce. I hope we get back to the happy fun time soon, this shit is depressing.
    It does not get better. I would personally say it continues to get worse.

Starting with Leviathan, the game begins a downward spiral into rushed, incomplete, incoherent storytelling. There's really no recovery.

The strongest part of the game is sadly the first 6 chapters, and also sadly, those first 6 chapters are completely irrelevant to the story, and have a host of their own problems, which many of us have covered before and I won't bother to dredge back up.

Needless to say, I did not find XV to be a very fulfilling experience. I will not be buying any DLC, it has been deleted from my PS4, and the chances of ever replaying this pile of filth again are very slim.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Nooooooooooo. I was hoping. I was enjoying the "feel good" experience.

Renzo wrote: »

I read that it was after Belias. Forgot how far into the game that was.
    That's about the point I was hoping it'd be at.

That's somewhere between "not very far" and "eighty hours in" depending on how much you like to grind.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Is it Chapter 9/10?
    It does not get better. I would personally say it continues to get worse.

Starting with Leviathan, the game begins a downward spiral into rushed, incomplete, incoherent storytelling. There's really no recovery.

The strongest part of the game is sadly the first 6 chapters, and also sadly, those first 6 chapters are completely irrelevant to the story, and have a host of their own problems, which many of us have covered before and I won't bother to dredge back up.

Needless to say, I did not find XV to be a very fulfilling experience. I will not be buying any DLC, it has been deleted from my PS4, and the chances of ever replaying this pile of filth again are very slim.

But tell us how you really feel about the game.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    I guess I preordered FFXII TZA on Amazon well enough in advance that it hit $32 at some point, and that's what I ended up paying for it. Nice.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    I actually did not get a chance to play nearly as much as I would like.

But man. This is so much fun. Again. I remember so very little about XII that it's almost as if I'm playing a brand new thing.

Really, since the PS2 days when I played the original release, the thing that has stuck with me the most about this game is the music. XII easily has my favorite music in series.

And strangely enough, the one and only other thing that has stuck with me is Penelo's utter uselessness to the story.

So Vaan is really just an accessory to the story. We all know the tale of how he was an 11th hour re-write into the story because test audiences said they couldn't identify with Basch, who is the rightful main character of the story. So they did a re-write, delayed the game, and invented Vaan to give their stupid test audiences a more relatable character. Bunch of fucking idiots, whoever they polled on that one. But that's getting off topic here. And anyway... Vaan is really just an accessory to the story, and largely irrelevant, other than being a spectator to the events unfolding around him. And then you have Penelo, who forces her way into the party so she could play "big sister" to Vaan and keep him out of trouble. She's a babysitter to an accessory. And that has always stuck with me. Not only is the main character completely useless, but there exists a character whose sole purpose is to be an annoying bitch to the main character. (Who is worthless.)

For some reason the sheer uselessness of Penelo has just always stuck with me. I dunno why. One would think that a character so entirely unimportant to anything at all would be forgettable. But just the opposite is true for me. I remember her utter uselessness to the story better than the role that other, more important characters played.

Basch is 400 million years old by Japanese video game protagonist standards. Can YOU identify with someone who is 400 million years old? I think not.