As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabata out at SQuenix. [Final Fantasy] XV development to end prematurely (finally?).

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Having just started a rewatch of Veronica Mars it is fucking with me perhaps more than it should to hear the kid that tricks Veronica into helping him find his dead father only to find out that his father is actually alive every time vaan opens his stupid mouth

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I actually did not get a chance to play nearly as much as I would like.

But man. This is so much fun. Again. I remember so very little about XII that it's almost as if I'm playing a brand new thing.

Really, since the PS2 days when I played the original release, the thing that has stuck with me the most about this game is the music. XII easily has my favorite music in series.

And strangely enough, the one and only other thing that has stuck with me is Penelo's utter uselessness to the story.

So Vaan is really just an accessory to the story. We all know the tale of how he was an 11th hour re-write into the story because test audiences said they couldn't identify with Basch, who is the rightful main character of the story. So they did a re-write, delayed the game, and invented Vaan to give their stupid test audiences a more relatable character. Bunch of fucking idiots, whoever they polled on that one. But that's getting off topic here. And anyway... Vaan is really just an accessory to the story, and largely irrelevant, other than being a spectator to the events unfolding around him. And then you have Penelo, who forces her way into the party so she could play "big sister" to Vaan and keep him out of trouble. She's a babysitter to an accessory. And that has always stuck with me. Not only is the main character completely useless, but there exists a character whose sole purpose is to be an annoying bitch to the main character. (Who is worthless.)

For some reason the sheer uselessness of Penelo has just always stuck with me. I dunno why. One would think that a character so entirely unimportant to anything at all would be forgettable. But just the opposite is true for me. I remember her utter uselessness to the story better than the role that other, more important characters played.

Basch is 400 million years old by Japanese video game protagonist standards. Can YOU identify with someone who is 400 million years old? I think not.

"Only if she looks 10" is the expected answer, right?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    I guess I preordered FFXII TZA on Amazon well enough in advance that it hit $32 at some point, and that's what I ended up paying for it. Nice.

They just refunded me 12 bucks

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Okay I may have hit the point that you guys were talking about in FFXV.

Is it Chapter 9/10?
    That Leviathan fight was awesome, but man the story gets really down immediately following. Ignis is blind now and Gladiolus is hating on Noctis something fierce. I hope we get back to the happy fun time soon, this shit is depressing.
    It does not get better. I would personally say it continues to get worse.

Starting with Leviathan, the game begins a downward spiral into rushed, incomplete, incoherent storytelling. There's really no recovery.

The strongest part of the game is sadly the first 6 chapters, and also sadly, those first 6 chapters are completely irrelevant to the story, and have a host of their own problems, which many of us have covered before and I won't bother to dredge back up.

Needless to say, I did not find XV to be a very fulfilling experience. I will not be buying any DLC, it has been deleted from my PS4, and the chances of ever replaying this pile of filth again are very slim.

I sold my disc. Didn't even bother finishing the game because of unpatched Chapter 13. I watched the rest on YouTube.

But, I had a worse opinion on the open world section and combat than most, so I was already fed up with the game before it got to the linear section. I only endured because the game was a gift from someone. Unfortunately, I consider it one of the worst games period that I've ever been subjected to.

• Options
    I liked the end run of FFXV
    even if it was one of the most goddamned depressing things I've ever experienced.

Say what you will about Square, I feel they really know how to manipulate a gamer's emotions.
    FFX and FFXV
    are two of the very few games that have ever made me literally weep. Even the end of the first Kingdom Hearts, and the end of World of Final Fantasy, made me choke up.

• Options
    Man, I was level 99 by the time I hit chapter 13 but I loved it. The unpatched version.

• Options
    Yeah, WOFF's ending is hard.
    the bad ending you initially get, especially. It all goes so wrong so quickly.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yeah, WOFF's ending is hard.
    the bad ending you initially get, especially. It all goes so wrong so quickly.
    Both endings, even the better one, are hard. But I was surprised at how fucking devastating the first ending was.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Is there a good resource with a summary of the Zodiac Age jobs? I get most of the standard ones, I know what a white mage does I'm not a baby, but I'm entirely unfamiliar with a few of them. Or you people could just tell me I suppose.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular

Is it Chapter 9/10?
    That Leviathan fight was awesome, but man the story gets really down immediately following. Ignis is blind now and Gladiolus is hating on Noctis something fierce. I hope we get back to the happy fun time soon, this shit is depressing.

Starting with Leviathan, the game begins a downward spiral into rushed, incomplete, incoherent storytelling. There's really no recovery.

The strongest part of the game is sadly the first 6 chapters, and also sadly, those first 6 chapters are completely irrelevant to the story, and have a host of their own problems, which many of us have covered before and I won't bother to dredge back up.

Needless to say, I did not find XV to be a very fulfilling experience. I will not be buying any DLC, it has been deleted from my PS4, and the chances of ever replaying this pile of filth again are very slim.

I didn't think it was that bad but it was kind of jarring to go from open world bro trip to FFXIII-linear "Oh god, oh god, we're all going to die." (And I found the whole
    magic dog
    "revisit the open world" thing so weird that I never really did it except to heal and/or restock supplies.)

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I can accept that FFXV is a flawed game but I enjoyed my time with it. It's too bad that, just like every FF since X, they won't refine those concepts.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    And I threw in my copy of FFXII and watched the opening scene yesterday (and it looks really nice; so much better than a couple of years ago when I hooked up my PS2 to my HDTV to try to play it; also loving the 5.1 audio), but I think I'm going to finish replaying TRON 2.0 before I switch over to FFXII.

• Options
    Is there a good resource with a summary of the Zodiac Age jobs? I get most of the standard ones, I know what a white mage does I'm not a baby, but I'm entirely unfamiliar with a few of them. Or you people could just tell me I suppose.

This YouTube video goes into decent detail about the origins, specialities, and potential combos for each job.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hkFcsxCV50U

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Oh. So there are chests in the Trial Mode as well. And you get some pretty decent loot out of it.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Man, I want to play the version of 12 that doesn't have Vaan or Penelo in it at all.

They were the reason I never got into the game in the first place, I just couldn't give a single shit about them.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    It still kinda baffles me that people see them as so bad that the game becomes unplayable for their presence, but I'll respect the decision.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    It makes sense to have characters who represent the common people in a story about politics and military takeovers, but the story could probably make do with one of them. And neither gets much character development.

And there's only one non-human in a game full of awesome races!

I feel like I posted the same thing 11 years ago.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    The improvements look amazing. As do the little QoL aspects. Say what you will about 12s story but the gameplay itself is one of the best of the recent era. XV with a refined version of XIIs gameplay would have made it so much better.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    vaan is a boring cypher (so far and I can't imagine that changes) but not really an offensive one. I have no real issue with him being an empty vessel to deliver the perspective of Joe Citizen to the player and sicknasty damage to my foes

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Some story spoilers, and some story theme spoilers
    I mean, Vaan kinda does have a character arc, or at least a personal story. Yes, it's an couple of old tropes (Journey of Revenge to Forgiveness, and also Get Rid Of The Empire) that are also being followed by Ashe at the same time, but it's something, and it helps him serve as a foil to her.

I never really saw Vaan as a "this is me" character type.

Enlong on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It makes sense to have characters who represent the common people in a story about politics and military takeovers, but the story could probably make do with one of them. And neither gets much character development.

One advantage to the tactics games. Use all the races!

Square, gib A3.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

One advantage to the tactics games. Use all the races!

Square, gib A3.

I loved having a diverse clan full of all the races and jobs. Made me resent people like FUCKING Al-Cid taking up permanent slots with their useless asses.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Fran is still one of my favorite video game voices of all time.

Does anyone notice significant input delay with the game? I feel like it's nearly a second before any of my button presses register... which doesn't sound bad on paper, but man is it distracting.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    All you people demanding more Ivalice and I'm here still miffed that there's a bunch of Episodes of Ogre Battle and Xenogears that will never see the light of the day.

Kinda related, I shouldn't add more games to my backlog but how bad does Vagrant Story play these days?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I've heard people say Balthier is the worst gunner because of his long gun animation. I accept this to be truth, but how bad is it, really? Is it something that'll make my run frustrating if I choose him as a Machinist, or is it more of a "Yiazmat speedrun" issue?

• Options
    IIRC Fran is the worst Archer and Balthier is thr worst gunner. I think it's only noticeable in a long fight like Yiazmat. For regular bosses you aren't gimping yourself that much.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I hear Penelo and Vaan become better (ie, have more going on with the story) in Revanent Wings - never played that though.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I don't know if I can not pick Machinist and Archer for Balthier and Fran respectively. They seem to fit their personas/promotional material, even if they're not min-max optimal. I'll probably follow those up with White Mage for Balthier and Red Mage for Fran.

Does it matter what order you choose jobs?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    All you people demanding more Ivalice and I'm here still miffed that there's a bunch of Episodes of Ogre Battle and Xenogears that will never see the light of the day.

Kinda related, I shouldn't add more games to my backlog but how bad does Vagrant Story play these days?
    Vagrant Story plays pretty well I feel. The style of gameplay doesn't suffer from the problems of a lot of 3D action games of the time, where the camera presents a huge obstacle to fighting enemies.
    Enlong wrote: »
    I've heard people say Balthier is the worst gunner because of his long gun animation. I accept this to be truth, but how bad is it, really? Is it something that'll make my run frustrating if I choose him as a Machinist, or is it more of a "Yiazmat speedrun" issue?
    Balthier's gun animations aren't very bad or anything. He and Fran have more elaborate animations for their signature weapon types which end up being noticeable, but nothing really terrible.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Fran is still one of my favorite video game voices of all time.

Does anyone notice significant input delay with the game? I feel like it's nearly a second before any of my button presses register... which doesn't sound bad on paper, but man is it distracting.
    I've seen people on other boards comment on input delay, but I've not experienced it. But then again, I've played both vanilla and IJSV a couple times, so maybe it was already in there and I'm just acclimated to it.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    FFXV question about using Umbral..
    So I guess after the events of Leviathan there's no real way to get back to the way it used to be except through the dog? So if I'm level 40 and I go back to past times or whatever does that mean I'll still be level 40 and I can play the game as if nothing happened for a bit to catch up on Hunts and stuff?

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    It's a small fraction of a second per animation. As korodullin said, it's not enough to make a difference for most encounters. Only on the mega-endgame bosses does it start to factor in at all.

But you'll have two jobs on each character, so you'll be fine anyway.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I liked the end run of FFXV
    even if it was one of the most goddamned depressing things I've ever experienced.

Say what you will about Square, I feel they really know how to manipulate a gamer's emotions.
    FFX and FFXV
    are two of the very few games that have ever made me literally weep. Even the end of the first Kingdom Hearts, and the end of World of Final Fantasy, made me choke up.

See, a lot of people say/experience this, but, regarding XV, I just don't get it.
    The bros are nothing more than a group of 1-2 character traits each. They never feel like people, just a deck of cards with anime trope personality traits. I mean, shit, Noctis is, for all intents and purposes, a silent protagonist until, what, Chapter 9? 10?

Prompto: Annoying pipsqueak. Has one character moment where he admits to Noctis that he's overcompensating because he feels he doesn't belong in their group. The MT revelation is supposed to be the final, triumphant "No, you do belong" moment, but the entire thing is flat in how it's handled. It's just <state character issue in early chapter> -> <resolve it at the end in 2 seconds> with no connective tissue in the middle.

Gladiolus: Asshole big brother figure who's all about duty. Funny how he's not chomping at the bit during the open world section after their home was burned, their king (and Noctis' father) killed, their crystal stolen... nope, he's cool with futzing around. But, man, he'll yell at Noctis' poorly written (I mean, seriously) complaint about always running in the middle of a life threatening situation with Titan, and he'll berate Noctis for not giving a shit about duty even though he, himself, has done fuck-all in that department.

Ignis: He's just kinda there. I have no idea who he is, or what makes him tick. He's supposedly the smart one, but all he does is repeat the same few sarcastic lines. And then he's blinded, useless for a dungeon, and then says "Hey, we still have a job to do, so stop yelling at each other." That's it.

Noctis: Like I said, he's essentially silent until the linear section of the game. I guess that's supposed to represent him being aloof/lazy/whatever, but it's really poorly handled. He doesn't begin to grow a personality until Ardyn starts fucking with his head.

I felt zero connection with them. 8-bit characters in HD skins.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Is it Chapter 9/10?

I sold my disc. Didn't even bother finishing the game because of unpatched Chapter 13. I watched the rest on YouTube.

But, I had a worse opinion on the open world section and combat than most, so I was already fed up with the game before it got to the linear section. I only endured because the game was a gift from someone. Unfortunately, I consider it one of the worst games period that I've ever been subjected to.

I also sold my copy in the middle of Chapter 13 (pre-patch) but I haven't bothered to go look up the rest. It doesn't matter. That story was garbage, and I have absolutely zero desire to see the rest of it.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Okay.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I don't really want to go defense force on FF15, but I liked them enough. I'm sorry to hear you didn't connect with them but hey it happens. Even if they ended up repeating a lot of banter I liked the bros.

lionheart_m on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    So, I haven't gotten far enough to confirm, but I've read that they changed the Great Serpentskin from loot to Key Item. If true, this may be the greatest correction for FF12 (joking). I can't imagine how many people got boned selling it as a loot item not realizing it was needed for a quest.

Edit: Other people are saying this isn't true. Oh well.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    @urahonky btw re:your question
    You keep your levels and gear.

• Options
    FFXV question about using Umbral..
    So I guess after the events of Leviathan there's no real way to get back to the way it used to be except through the dog? So if I'm level 40 and I go back to past times or whatever does that mean I'll still be level 40 and I can play the game as if nothing happened for a bit to catch up on Hunts and stuff?

Yes, as I recall, that's the case.

• Options
    Ok. Think I have an idea of what job combos I want to try in Zodiac Age:

Shikari/Foebreaker, Knight/Time, Archer/Red, Black/Monk, Machinist/White, and Bushi/Uhlan.

Possibly swap the positions of Foebreaker and Bushi. I'll have to feel that one out.

There's plenty of other combinations that could work well (Red/Black is tempting), but I think those look good.