As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls] Stolen? No! This one found this thread by the side of the road.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I prefer the default UI to Sky UI.

This is madness.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I prefer the default UI to Sky UI.

This is madness.

The pressure has finally gotten to him.

a decade of dealing with the worst of us has finally made him crack.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    So, anyone here remember The Forsworn Conspiracy and it's follow-up quest? Here's how I basically played them for my first time in Markarth.
    So I decide to play Detective Dragonborn and investigate all the clues around town before going to the Shrine, resulting in a dead Nepos The Nose (killed in self-defense by me) and a dead Betrid Silver-Blood (killed by Forsworn). Guess ol' Thonar wasn't happy about that since he had me thrown in the klink-mine (though not before I killed the three dirty guardsmen that tried arresting me after they killed Eltrys). So I go through No One Escapes Cidhna Mine and man it was rough without my armor and warhammer though I'm happy to say I punched Madanach's bodyguard into submission for the key (no way am I giving up my cool new shiv!). I decided to kill Madanach since his plans were basically 'kill, kill and kill non-Forsworn some more'. Tough fight that I lost the first go-around due to trying it sneaky shiv-stabby. Second fight, I fell back on my strengths which was being an Orc with a Berserker Rage option and put him down. Snagging his key, I fled through the tunnel and after dying once to a spider, I managed to kill it, sneak around the second and got to the exit hall only to attract the attention of a pair of Dwarven Spheres.

After trying to fight them poorly with no armor and a pair of pickaxes, I said 'screw it' and ran through the doors where I get pulled right into a conversation with Thonar who wanted to go 'thanks for doing my dirty work for me in killing Madanach', leaving me helpless when one of the Spheres followed me outside and killed me while stuck in getting villain-monologued. After dying a second time to see if the following was a fluke on the Sphere's part, I hit the cancel conversation button and ran right past Thonar. And here's where karma smiled on me and poor Eltrys as the Sphere tried to come after me only for Thonar deciding to fight it back. So I'm dressing myself just as Lydia (whom I mentally assume was trying her best to get me out of the mine before I picked a fight with the wrong prisoner) is running up. Armed, we walk over just in time for Thonar to get cut down by the Sphere. We kill it in turn and loot it and Thonar, the latter naturally left stripped naked for everyone to get an eyeful.

GpBHFx0.jpg

The cherry on top is what happened after me and Lydia were leaving the area (after ducking into the exit hall to kill the other Sphere for parts) and I had a courier run up to deliver this to me.

YS2phaa.jpg

Yep, a good day was had in Markarth.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I love how every time I start a game I get 15 hours in and either have some critical mod I really want that I forgot to put in, or find out some mod I installed doesn't really work the way I want it to and want to uninstall it. I guess I should just go ahead and plan to do a 10 hour or so test run before starting my real game.

• Options
    Anyone with Skyrim on XB1 run into this particular issue? I've cleared the first dragon-kill at Whiterun with my mage character and been made Thane. Yet when I try talking to Proventus Avenicci or Hulda at the Bannered Mare, I don't see an option to take a bandit-clearing job from them. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

• Options
    edited July 2017
    So I just discovered automatic variants, such an awesome idea and mod. Though you do have to be a bit careful in curating your skins list, lest you run into a giant pink mammoth.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Pics pls

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Gawd can there be one random overworld location in Skyrim that just has some friendly NPCs chilling, instead of either bandits or the corpses of NPCs who died in some of the most depressing ways imaginable?
    Edit: This was prompted by my discovering of Frostflow Lighthouse.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Gawd can there be one random overworld location in Skyrim that just has some friendly NPCs chilling, instead of either bandits or the corpses of NPCs who died in some of the most depressing ways imaginable?
    Edit: This was prompted by my discovering of Frostflow Lighthouse.
    Well if the bugs didn't get them, the cave of necromancers nearby would have.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Been sucked back into Skyrim. Continue to know basically nothing about the lore of the series beyond the fact that the Dwemer were apparently a society dedicated to building things that piss me off.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Been sucked back into Skyrim. Continue to know basically nothing about the lore of the series beyond the fact that the Dwemer were apparently a society dedicated to building things that piss me off.

Kind of what the fabric of reality thought of them too.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

May I draw your attention to the Hunter Jacuzzi Camp?

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »

May I draw your attention to the Hunter Jacuzzi Camp?
    There are no possible dialogue with the hunters, although they will become hostile if the Dragonborn steals or moves any of their belongings (even the ones not marked with 'Steal').

Turns out their horrible, depressing, pointless death...is you.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I hope Bethesda announces the next Elder Scrolls soon instead of just re-releasing Skyrim over and over...

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I hope Bethesda announces the next Elder Scrolls soon instead of just re-releasing Skyrim over and over...

I mean with ESO isn't that a bit of a Warcraft 4 situation?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    No, because ESO is a different team, a different genre and terrible.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    ESO gave me plenty of what I wanted from an Elder Scrolls game. All the questlines and dialogue would fit right in with a game like Skyrim. Explore in a random direction, find the ghost of somebody telling you not to pick up the book by his own corpse, explore somewhere else, find a small town wracked by a sudden plague where all is not as it seems, on and on. It's a great game and feels like it might as well have been ES6. Especially being free to play...you might as well turn off chat and pretend it's a single player game, because it works as such.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ESO gave me plenty of what I wanted from an Elder Scrolls game. All the questlines and dialogue would fit right in with a game like Skyrim. Explore in a random direction, find the ghost of somebody telling you not to pick up the book by his own corpse, explore somewhere else, find a small town wracked by a sudden plague where all is not as it seems, on and on. It's a great game and feels like it might as well have been ES6. Especially being free to play...you might as well turn off chat and pretend it's a single player game, because it works as such.

That's essentially what I did in WoW, yeah. MMOs are surprisingly competent as single player RPGs.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2017

That's essentially what I did in WoW, yeah. MMOs are surprisingly competent as single player RPGs.

It's even better here, because there are zero quests that are like "bring me 10 boar tusks" and every boar you kill has a 30% chance of dropping one. That's just not in ESO. Much less prevalent in modern WoW too but still too many games do that sort of thing. Every quest is much more directed, "light the three aetherial torches" and you probably end up killing some enemies along the way incidentally. And it's all for an actual ongoing plot reason, almost no quests are one-and-done, and they're fully voice acted with additional questions you can ask. Most of them would fit right in with Skyrim questing. The thieves' guild expansion was especially great, with lots of characters with strong personalities and motivations brought together. Silver-Claw was this big lion khajiit merchant who was especially well written and entertaining, but the rest were memorable too. Main zone stories are strong as well, I enjoyed the Dominion one with the young and inexperienced queen trying to hold her alliance together.

The only things you HAVE to have a group for are world bosses (and you don't HAVE to beat them either, no associated quests, but you can just stand by one until a group walks up shortly) and dungeons. According to Steam I have 777 hours into the game and I've done one dungeon, once. Just not interested in that content when there's so much else you can do on your own, so much to explore.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The above "ESO is Elder Scrolls 6." makes me sad for humanity. :(

But fine. I want Elder Scrolls 7 then. Offline. Moddable.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I really hope they have a proper surrender system for the next one. More games need to have bandits start going "fuck this" and either running or surrendering and asking you to spare them, giving you options to tell them to go tell their friends or something, so that it weakens other bandits in the area, or makes them flee, or allow you to recruit them or something. It was cool that they had a kind of feint surrender in skyrim, but I want something to really pick up what shadow of mordor put down

Im sick of all the bandits with insane honour about fighting to the death. Especially when I look like a deadric god

Prohass on
  • Options
    I want a crafting system that lets you make boots that allow you to fly.

• Options

Someone having a good time with a game and drawing parallels to other games in the series makes you sad for humanity?

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular

I wish I could see it the same way, but I just can't. ESO is a good game and I can see the allure, but it (for me) lacks the magic of something like Skyrim, where I can not only do what I want and go where I want, but which I can mod to change things I don't like or enhance things I do. I suppose for people who aren't into modding that part doesn't matter, which might be what makes ESO easier to think of as "the next" Elder Scrolls game, but it's just not.

I do still have ESO installed, and once in awhile I'll try to get a character going, but I almost always get bored with the janky combat before I can really get into the more exciting adventures that there are no doubt to be had.

• Options

I wish I could see it the same way, but I just can't. ESO is a good game and I can see the allure, but it (for me) lacks the magic of something like Skyrim, where I can not only do what I want and go where I want, but which I can mod to change things I don't like or enhance things I do. I suppose for people who aren't into modding that part doesn't matter, which might be what makes ESO easier to think of as "the next" Elder Scrolls game, but it's just not.

I do still have ESO installed, and once in awhile I'll try to get a character going, but I almost always get bored with the janky combat before I can really get into the more exciting adventures that there are no doubt to be had.

It's important to remember that 1) ESO does have addon support though it's obviously more about UI stuff than, say, better penis models and 2) A lot of people played Skyrim on consoles with no mod support. A place like this where we can go into in depth discussions about modding tends to skew the idea of what Skyrim was like for people.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I love ESO deeply, but it is a different beast from skyrim, oblivion, morrowind or the fallout games. Its definitely on the end of "someone took wow and made it better by putting in elements from the elder scrolls" than "someone made a game like skyrim that was multiplayer".

I strongly recommend giving it a shot for anyone that hasn't but it doesn't scratch the same itch as skyrim , anymore than say mad max scratches the fallout 4 itch(or fallout 3-4 scratch the fallout 2 itch). All good games but different dna.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    As someone who likes the general questing, lore, dialogue, and world-building, it all feels right in line with previous games. The one thing it's missing for me is the ability to know where a specific "big deal" item or ability is located, and going right to it, or stumbling across it randomly...instead you're generally going to find things in line with your current power level. But I can deal with that.

I love being able to explore more locations than we've ever seen in the past, a little bit of Elsweyr, Summerset Isles, even get into some of the things that have been referenced in books in the past like learning more about Falinesti.

There's a good balance of short quests to help one or two individuals, to longer quests that might involve saving a town, to quests that span the whole zone or alliance. There's stuff equivalent to finding a nord standing in the buff in the wilderness of Morrowind. And there's stuff equivalent to solving the issue of the dragon resurgence, or the brewing war. Maybe not with as much of a change to the world based on your choices, but I was really surprised how many quests actually offer a choice on how to resolve it. Who lives, who dies, that sort of thing.

• Options
    Honestly the only thing keeping me from playing eso right now is that my character stagnated a bit, I started as a sorceror but ended up using daggers and bows a lot and the sorc abilities didn't fit thematically, may restart at some point as a nightblade or warden.

• Options

Someone having a good time with a game and drawing parallels to other games in the series makes you sad for humanity?

That's a bit of hyperbole, obviously, but everything ESO does that Skyrim didn't is worse for what I want out of the game. I don't want Bethesda seeing people going "ESO is Skyrim" and making more ESO instead of Skyrim.

But you can totally enjoy ESO, sure.

• Options
    ESO does have addon support though it's obviously more about UI stuff than, say, better penis models

Then why bother?

camo_sig2.png

• Options

That's a bit of hyperbole, obviously, but everything ESO does that Skyrim didn't is worse for what I want out of the game. I don't want Bethesda seeing people going "ESO is Skyrim" and making more ESO instead of Skyrim.

But you can totally enjoy ESO, sure.

Luckily for you (and really everyone) Bethesda doesn't work on ESO outside of the lore and art people sharing stuff.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Yeah, for now. But look what happened to Mass Effect, too. Anything can happen!

• Options
    edited August 2017

I doubt Bethesda will abandon traditional elder scrolls games, as much as they like taking their time with them. Skyrim was a sales monster, fallout 4 was the only Bethesda game anywhere nearly as successful, while ESO was a much more modest success.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The chances of Bethesda deciding they're not going to make any more single player TES games are as close to zero as it gets.

• Options

There's still quite a bit of difference between Bioware shuffling a project to one of its teams that then doesn't do a great job with said project versus Bethesda co-opting a project by a completely separate studio that has its entirely separate staff and management when Bethesda probably doesn't even have people that write netcode or deal with customer facing hosting on servers on staff. That would be akin to Game Freak making a mainline Mario game instead of the usual Nintendo team.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    So, I've been messing around with a wildlife mod for special edition which may or may not ever see public release since the mod I was using for oldrim (animallica lore friendly redux) has not been converted yet. I wanted to do a wild dog predator between a fox and wolf using a scaled up fox mesh but can't think of a good name. Jackal doesn't really seem to fit with skyrim, nor does 'short haired pommeranian'. Any suggestions?

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Direfox?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Started playing Oblivion again, playing a fist/bow Nord with some casting on the side.

I wasn't really a fan of Skyrim, so I don't know if I should buy the switch version. Just in case I have a copy already preordered from amazon.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    So, I've been messing around with a wildlife mod for special edition which may or may not ever see public release since the mod I was using for oldrim (animallica lore friendly redux) has not been converted yet. I wanted to do a wild dog predator between a fox and wolf using a scaled up fox mesh but can't think of a good name. Jackal doesn't really seem to fit with skyrim, nor does 'short haired pommeranian'. Any suggestions?

There's coyotes but they don't really fit either.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    I thought about dingo but thay doesn't work either. Farcry primal had dholes in that role but that doesn't really seem appropriate either(they honestly probably just had a ready to go dhole model from earlier farcrys).

May just go with dire fox as much as I don't really care for overusing dire xxx.

On the plus side, in my research I learned apparently wolverines live in sweeden in real life, and I think I have found a perfect mesh and skin for one of those. Animallica's racoon is based on the skeever mesh, scale it up and put a brown fur skin on it and it should look pretty mean.

Jealous Deva on