As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Here a Kid, There a Kid, Everywhere there's a [Kids] Thread

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    My wife and I are bad parents in regards to the crying. We've tried to let her scream it out but always gave up around the hour mark. Our little Kate is tenacious and will cry for well over an hour if she's not getting something she wants. So this has led us to the nightly bedtime bottle issue. At 19 months she still going to bed with a bottle of milk. The pediatrician says to stop but we're weak willed. We've been trying various methods other than letting her cry it out and not met with much success.

Sigh

It's only 2 or 3 days of waiting her out. Just try it.

We tried the other day and after an hour and a half I gave in.

Yeah just not enough unfortunately. Believe me, we went thru the same thing and I'm the end it was me they put the foot down, my wife would have let her do it for years. She now goes down around 8pm and wakes up around 7am. She squawks sometimes in the middle of the night if she wakes up, and just goes back to sleep in her own.

But to get there, 2-3 nights of solid crying.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Ya, 90 minutes is just not gonna cut it sounds like, we went through that too. Super sucks.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    We would go in after 10 minutes, quick hug and kiss, then back to bed. Increase it to 20, then 30, and on. Let's them know you're there, but also bed time fucker.

But that may not work for you, so I offer solidarity, and I hope it gets better soon. :bro:

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    We would go in after 10 minutes, quick hug and kiss, then back to bed. Increase it to 20, then 30, and on. Let's them know you're there, but also bed time fucker.

But that may not work for you, so I offer solidarity, and I hope it gets better soon. :bro:

Yeah, we did the same thing. After a while it's like go ahead, cry for 2 hours. Now it's 4. Oh you have up on crying. Good.

steam_sig.png
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    As another opinion I'm not a fan of crying it out and we never did it and our son also sleeps through the night now. For most kid related things there are multiple ways and don't let anyone force you to do something you're uncomfortable with. (within reason of course)

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Cry it out for us involved him working himself up to the point where he'd intentionally make himself sick so we'd have to come in and change him and spend more time with him.

So, there's that too

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    For the most part she sleeps through the night. If she wakes up she'll self soothe enough to get back to sleep. It's just she can't seem to sleep initially without a bottle.

50433.png?1708759015
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Going on the big boy pottttyyyyyy sooonngg
    this is the soooong about me bein' happy about potttyyyy stuffff

Edit: still wish his poop was on a more regular pattern, but considering how bad his constipation/holding can be, I'll take what I can get.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Sleep training our firstborn was pretty rough, and we couldn't bring ourselves to do cry it out and tried everything else we could, but nothing stuck.

Unfortunately, the entire process continued into when I had to be studying for the bar exam, and I reached a point where I pulled the one time use only "this is how we are doing it, no exceptions" card in my marriage because I wasn't going to fail the bar exam due to lack of sleep.

So we made him cry it out, and it was hell for 3 days, but then it stuck and I passed the bar exam.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    My wife adamantly refused to do cry it out, so we stuck it out for 15 months until it was like a light-switch went off in my daughter's head and she started sleeping through the night. Now we put her in bed at 830, she plays in the crib for a bit, then puts herself to sleep, and stays asleep until around 630. It's wonderful.

Now for the other kid....

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah with ollie we would get up with him when he cried out, and then eventually he started needing us less and figured it out on his own. We never let him have a bottle at bed time so that's not an issue for us. Though on hot nights I've taken to letting him have a sippy cup of water so he can get a drink if he gets too hot.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Just a normal Saturday afternoon!

069q2ztndldp.jpg

I came home today, my wife was giving my daughter a bath. Daughter (2 yr old) got really excited to see me, starts jumping, slips, falls on her chin on the edge of bathtub. We rush to pick her up as she is wailing, notice blood coming out of her mouth.
    Ohhh ffffffffffff.

She won't let us look. I get some icev in a towel ask her to bite on it. Eventually she lets us look and it's nothing outside her mouth, and can't tell inside either. Ask her to show tongue, looks fine. There was a bit of blood on the towel she was biting. Eventually she calms down enough to take some Tylenol. She's even smiling a bit before remembering to cry some more.

We ended up putting her to bed as normal. No idea where the blood came from.

steam_sig.png
    Wednesday through Friday my son threw a fit when I woke him up at 6:30 and wanted to sleep more etc.

Today is Saturday, so naturally he climbed into our bed a bit before 6 and got me to get up with him at 6:30.

I really don't get how they do that.

• Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    So our recent sleep woes we are pretty sure were Oliver cutting teeth. My wife spotted a new molar while he was laughing during a tickle fight! Go figure none of his usual symptoms!

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Both of my kids have a chipped front tooth from falling in the bathtub when they were little. Bathtubs are the secret devil.

So far not doing too good at teaching my son not to hit me. On sunday he smashed a kindle into the bridge of my nose, christ that hurt.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Preacher, we did a bit of role play with stuffed animals to teach Leah not to hit people. I mean, she's still a toddler and gets carried away, but she also apologizes now and the incidence of hitting is dramatically reduced.

What I learned: my daughter has more empathy for her stuffed unicorns than she does for her fellow humans including the pair that gave her the gift of life.

Interesting.

I just hope Ollie isn't hitting other children, but it seems unique to me. Like he sees me and then he's all "HITTING TIME!" I have no idea why this is, but a rando I talked to this morning had 4 kids, 2 girls, 2 boys, and all 4 socked him in the face. Now maybe he was just a dick, or maybe children are the monsters we all knew them to be.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I typically don't talk shit, but on this occasion, I must make an exception.

So Abigail just turned 21 months old and has been having some crazy diaper output as of late. Maybe in the last month or two, she's been filling diapers with poo paste instead of happy poo logs. Her diet has been consistent, so it's hard to figure out if it's what she's eating or just a kiddo phase?

Her typical diet is whole milk (~15-20oz), apple juice, wheat bread, deli meats (turkey/chicken), fruit breakfast (banana w/blue berries and grapes), frozen veggie medley, and whatever we have for dinner (chicken, pasta, etc). Throw in some crackers, gold fish, and string cheese.

Thoughts?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Our daughter turns 2 in a month and same thing is going on with her. Just giant spillout loads like she hasn't had since 5 month old.

steam_sig.png
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So my 2 3/4 year old is now of an age where farting is high comedy. Also she seems bound and determined to take credit for other people's farts. Somehow the net result is now when anyone farts, including her, she declares "I'm Farticus", and you can argue this back and forth with her for minutes.

I've never been so proud.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »
    So my 2 3/4 year old is now of an age where farting is high comedy. Also she seems bound and determined to take credit for other people's farts. Somehow the net result is now when anyone farts, including her, she declares "I'm Farticus", and you can argue this back and forth with her for minutes.

I've never been so proud.

Farticus is excellent

Alex's first joke was a fart joke, though I forget how old she was now.

Out of the blue she stands up and shouts, "I hear something!" and looks around. "I hear something!" *frrt*

MNC Dover wrote: »
    I typically don't talk shit, but on this occasion, I must make an exception.

So Abigail just turned 21 months old and has been having some crazy diaper output as of late. Maybe in the last month or two, she's been filling diapers with poo paste instead of happy poo logs. Her diet has been consistent, so it's hard to figure out if it's what she's eating or just a kiddo phase?

Her typical diet is whole milk (~15-20oz), apple juice, wheat bread, deli meats (turkey/chicken), fruit breakfast (banana w/blue berries and grapes), frozen veggie medley, and whatever we have for dinner (chicken, pasta, etc). Throw in some crackers, gold fish, and string cheese.

Thoughts?

If you want more solid poops then get more fiber in the diet. Whole grain bread, maybe add some cereal (I'm talking unsweetened muesli, not frosted flakes).

But my son eats like two bowls of muesli a day and his poops are almost never solid, so maybe it is like it is.

(my personal pet peeve in that diet is the apple juice, btw. That probably has as much sugar as soda and even in watered down form juice is a special treat for us)

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Heh, I thought to myself, reading the last few entries. I haven't had much of an issue with her poops lately, maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel

Turns out, this morning. The light was actually a train. Walked into her room, and hit a brick wall of poop smell. Her diaper was full, her lower back was covered in it, and the sheets were stained. Happy as a clam though, and no redness or fever.

The smell though.... man, I've actually been okay with baby poop (which was surprising when I almost vomited at the sight of fake poop for a pregnancy class), but man, that stunk. That being said, Diaper Genie (and other brands like it) are lifesavers. Seriously, I would totally recommend one to any expecting couple. Refills can be pricey, but there's usually a cheaper private brand.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    Wednesday through Friday my son threw a fit when I woke him up at 6:30 and wanted to sleep more etc.

Today is Saturday, so naturally he climbed into our bed a bit before 6 and got me to get up with him at 6:30.

I really don't get how they do that.

Our 7 year old has begun this lately. During the week my wife has had to basically drag our daughter out of bed to get her to my parents' place or to summer programs. Weekends though she's up before both of us and it's earlier than she gets up during the week and she comes in wanting either food or to play. Child, you are 7, you know where the food is stored. Unless you want something cooked you can get it yourself.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    These kids

I love 'em

but Niko needs to be a bit less needy, and definitely less grope-y with Rachel

Also stop taking like 1.5 - 2 hours to go to sleep every night

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Thought you folks might find this fun. My son will be 13 in a few months so we asked him what he wanted to do to celebrate. We landed on backyard video game party - so I got to buy a budget projector. It arrived today. The screen isn't here (I bought a cheap 10' screen) so I pinned up a light blue sheet in the basement and gave it a trial run.

So...

• MusicDragonMusicDragon Registered User regular
    My little man is a year old today. This is both really cool and really terrifying.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm only starting to realize how much my nephew picks up on and how much stays with him.

He's been gone for a couple weeks to his grandma & grandpa's, along with his sister and mom. Just now while he was on a Skype call with his dad (who is here), he says he wants to talk to me. So I sit down, ask him what's up and how's he doing. He wanted to specifically tell me that he found our cookies at the grocery store over there. He's specifically talking about fudge stripes. When I bought them a short while ago, he was asking me about and why I like them. My grandma got them all the time and it just stuck with me since childhood. I gave him a couple, I had a couple myself, and we agreed that whenever one of us would have one, so would the other.

Now he calls them 'sharing cookies' and wanted me to know he's been sharing them with grandpa. That wasn't an intentional lesson to teach but he got it so hooray him!

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Our little one turned 2 yesterday

19884320_10210023755174320_3045980060972231895_n.jpg?oh=79402ba8120572b70d97133fbbbfb1b4&oe=59CB301C

19961601_10210022657066868_5092517123800487153_n.jpg?oh=7682e962e01aac2f37dcf380f7e724e6&oe=5A00500A

bloodyroarxx on
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    HAH! I love the stacks of diaper boxes. Looks like my house.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    On the older kid side of things...

As many of you know my niece has lived with us part time for years now. When she was born, we actually were living with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law so we have basically lived with her in some form since birth with only a few years as exceptions.

We leave today to take her on her first college visit. It's sort of overwhelming as I try to be the uncle and let her dad be the dad, but I can't help but feel proud, like she were my own. It's terrible cheesy, but it's hard to put into words how excited I am that she got past all the stuff put on her by family to get to this point - that we're now travelling out of state to see a very respected school for her to follow her passion (cooking).

So yay kids?

• Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    IkAq63w.jpg

So this is my oldest. She turns 16 in August. She has been shooting competitively for a year and a half now after finding out we have a sporting rifle club in town. As of Saturday she is on our provincial junior team. I could not be more proud of her. She starts her final 2 years of high school in September with a goal of getting a sociology or psychology degree then joining the RCMP. She will be the corps sergeant major of her army cadet corps this year as well. I love the young lady she's turning into.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Sigh.

This winter can go die in a fire.

One illness after another after another.

And nothing I do seems to make her better.

She's just so miserable with this virus and there's only so much I can do.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Sigh.

This winter can go die in a fire.

One illness after another after another.

And nothing I do seems to make her better.

She's just so miserable with this virus and there's only so much I can do.

:bro:

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Last week I put the kiddo to sleep for a nap. That day I hadn't had her wearing a onesie for the first time. Didn't seem that big a deal and it was hot out so I figured a little less layering would make her more comfy.

After a two hour nap, I went to get her. There she was in the crib, chilling without her diaper on. I froze...oh please don't let their be poo everywhere....

Fortunately we lucked out and just had some pee to clean up. Apparently without a onesie, she just took the diaper off with ease. Not gonna make that mistake again.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I'm seriously feeling so helpless right now.

My sweet, funny, clever baby girl has been replaced with this child who only wants to sleep and cuddle.

She hasn't brought me a book to read today, she hasn't dumped out her blocks, she hadn't tried to eat the computer mouse.

And I just want to make her feel better. And right now there's nothing I can do but be patient and give her time and cuddles.

I know you all understand.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Awww.

Really sorry to hear she's not doing so good. :(

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Nursery has just broken up for the summer and Freddie's report folder has come back with him for us to read through.

Apparently whilst he's doing generally ok (it must be hard to judge him as he just wants to spend his days playing outside and doesn't really like doing the proscribed stuff) he's apparently awful at technology. We've been trying to keep him off the iPad or our phones and always played with more traditional toys with him rather than rely on apps to keep him occupied but apparently whilst that's done wonders for his imaginative play he's now classed as being behind because he can't work a cd player or a remote control.

So I guess it's time to spend those rainy days in front of a TV so he's prepared for September? Emma's bought a bunch of the Toca Boca games on the iPad to get some practice in.

Maybe it's time that if he wants to watch something we need to let him figure out the remote? Last time that happened he ended up finding that awful cartoon about the rabbits constantly being left without adult supervision.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin