As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tabata out at SQuenix. [Final Fantasy] XV development to end prematurely (finally?).

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I was so pumped for this and then I realized it wasn't coming out for PC... (at least not yet)

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I like the new job system, but it can certainly make the game a little harder in spots early on. It's been a long time so I don't really recall who you control at any given time before the whole team gets together. That said, I made Penelo my healer, and then later made Balthier a machinist, Fran a lancer (forgot the name), and Vann was a monk. Basch was a guest char at the time. And I had to make it out of the dungeon with potions as my only method of healing. It was pretty brutal. I went through about 40 of them and several phoenix downs. Right when my supplies were getting REALLY low, I managed to get out. I was sweating bullets for a while there.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I set up my party as: Vaan - Shiraki/Time Battlemage, Basch - Knight/Foebearer, Ashe - White Mage/Black Mage, Penello - White Mage/Red Battlemage, Balthier - Machinist/Monk and Fran - Archer/?. I literally have no idea what I want out of Fran and figured I'd leave one person without a role to play so that I could fill in some gaps that might show up. Honestly though trying to min-max this was sucking up my enjoyment of the game (especially when I realized this was hour two of figuring out setups). I have two Tanks (Vaan/Basch), two healers and two possible DPS support backups. Did a runthrough of Trial Mode and everything seemed to work out well.

. . .also managed to snag two Sword of Kings of Belias so there's also that.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    If you didn't already have Black and Red, I'd suggest one of those to go with Archer. Red especially sounds neat. Combine Achillies, Oil, and Ardor.

• JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    I was so pumped for this and then I realized it wasn't coming out for PC... (at least not yet)

I'm kind of torn -- I'm generally more of a PC gamer than console, but having said that, this is the sort of game where I'll be just as happy to sit on my couch, controller in hand. Not to say that I won't buy it again at some point after it hits Steam, of course ...

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »

I'm kind of torn -- I'm generally more of a PC gamer than console, but having said that, this is the sort of game where I'll be just as happy to sit on my couch, controller in hand. Not to say that I won't buy it again at some point after it hits Steam, of course ...

If I had a PS4, i would have picked it up for sure, just not a console player anymore. This and FFXV are on my list.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    Enlong wrote: »
    If you didn't already have Black and Red, I'd suggest one of those to go with Archer. Red especially sounds neat. Combine Achillies, Oil, and Ardor.

Yea, she's likely to end up as Backup Black Mage. I mean she was only swapped in for stealing grinds.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    @darkmayo though I admit my PS4 is nifty I just love playing on my two monitor PC setup. Although I don't mind double dipping for FF. I really don't want to admit how many copies of FF2 I own across platforms.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Yeah I am one of those PC gamers who is just not going to get a PS4 who is desperately hoping a PC release comes for TZA since this is the version of 12 I waited for to first play the game.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    So when penelo first joined in the desert, I gave her the red mage job which I'm thinking I may want to reverse. I saw that after she left, her icon under the red mage thing on the job board disappeared. Does that mean I can assign someone else that job and give her a new one when she rejoins?

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So when penelo first joined in the desert, I gave her the red mage job which I'm thinking I may want to reverse. I saw that after she left, her icon under the red mage thing on the job board disappeared. Does that mean I can assign someone else that job and give her a new one when she rejoins?

You can have multiple people with multiple jobs, right?

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

It's my understanding that you can't have two people with the same job. I might be wrong though

You can have as many of one job as you want. Just can't have more than two on any one person.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    You can assign the same job to multiple people. But once assigned, you can't switch a person's job.

Javen wrote: »

It's my understanding that you can't have two people with the same job. I might be wrong though

You can have everyone be the same job combination if you want, but everyone is limited to 2 jobs, and once a job selection is made, it can't be changed.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    6 RDM/BLMs, all casting Ardor

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Ah, okay, that makes sense. So then people have only been making parties with no job redundancy for trophy reasons and not because the game forces it?

6 RDM/BLMs, all casting Ardor

Make one an RDM/ARC, so you can inflict Fire weakness with Achilles.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Ah, okay, that makes sense. So then people have only been making parties with no job redundancy for trophy reasons and not because the game forces it?

Well, you can't play all the jobs if you have redundancy, and for many people that's a negative regardless of whatever trophies there are

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile

I just like the feel of non-redundant parties. This extends to stuff like FFV or the Tactics Advance games.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

I just like the feel of non-redundant parties. This extends to stuff like FFV or the Tactics Advance games.

Only downside to the Fiesta, even though it's kind of the point. I like fidgeting with all the jobs!

Edit: Additionally, Fiesta run currently stalled in World 2 due to a lack of time that I worry is just going to turn into playing XII this weekend.

OneAngryPossum on

I'm personally doing it because I have no idea which jobs are good and which ones aren't. If RDM or Monk turns out to be fairly useless, I'd probably not bother on future playthroughs

I do like the fiesta for getting me to try jobs I normally leave behind, and weird combos I wouldn't think of normally.

I want to see what all the jobs can do, I want everyone to be unique, and I want to kind of match the jobs to the characters' personalities.

Same.

My first jobs for everyone are:

Vaan: Shikari
    Penelo: Black Mage
    Balthier: Machinist
    Fran: Archer
    Basch: Knight
    Ashe: Bushi

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I assume this game will come out for pc eventually. All the other Final Fantasy remakes have so far.

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    As thematic as it might be, my inner min-maxer simply will not let me make Balth and Fran a Machinist and Archer. Can't do it.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    You can break boss stats and the damage cap in TZA. When will animation speed for their weapons ever realistically shackle you?

You can break boss stats and the damage cap in TZA. When will animation speed for their weapons ever realistically shackle you?

I'm not saying I'm being reasonable, here. :P

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    As thematic as it might be, my inner min-maxer simply will not let me make Balth and Fran a Machinist and Archer. Can't do it.

I'm a min-maxer that also has to plan things out thematically. It's made those two characters a lot harder to build for! But apparently Machinist and Uhlan make for a potent DPS combo thanks to Focus and Adrenaline from the latter job. Archer and Red Battlemage are good together, too. They'll both get 3x Swiftness without the use of Espers.

I've settled on Shikari/Foebreaker (Vaan), Machinist/Uhlan (Balthier), Monk/Black Mage (Penelo), Archer/Red Battlemage (Fran), Knight/Bushi (Basch), and White Mage/Time Battlemage (Ashe).

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    Here's a party planning spreadsheet I found that really helped:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rBpOmegCizn3KOPwrKvC5yipu9Yfh0IZ6YE-mh_e59g/edit#gid=260709202

Ended up with the following for my party:

Vaan: Uhlan/Machinist
    Balthier: Shikari/Foebreaker
    Fran: Monk/Black Mage
    Basch: Knight/Bushi
    Ashe: Time Mage/White Mage
    Penelo: Red Mage/Black Mage

Tons of magic, good synergy, and the jobs with combo weapons (Shikari, Monk, Bushi) are all on characters with fast animations.

Hardest characters to figure out was Vaan. Partly because I don't want to use him, and the other 5 cover everything else I want doing. Ended up just giving him unused jobs so I can make use of spears and guns.

Right now the only 2 classes I don't have planned out are Uhlan and Breaker. Vaan's my machinist and Penelo's gonna by my archer, and the 2 of them are going to be breaker/uhlan, but I haven't quite landed on which should subclass as which.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Can anyone give me a quick ELI5 on quickenings, and whether I need to worry about min/maxing? Just had one appear on a board for the first time and it told me I can only take 3 out of 4 per character, so I kinda panicked and didn't take anything.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    "EL15"?

"EL15"?

Explain Like I'm 5

Waveform wrote: »
    Here's a party planning spreadsheet I found that really helped:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rBpOmegCizn3KOPwrKvC5yipu9Yfh0IZ6YE-mh_e59g/edit#gid=260709202

Ended up with the following for my party:

Vaan: Uhlan/Machinist
    Balthier: Shikari/Foebreaker
    Fran: Monk/Black Mage
    Basch: Knight/Bushi
    Ashe: Time Mage/White Mage
    Penelo: Red Mage/Black Mage

Tons of magic, good synergy, and the jobs with combo weapons (Shikari, Monk, Bushi) are all on characters with fast animations.

Hardest characters to figure out was Vaan. Partly because I don't want to use him, and the other 5 cover everything else I want doing. Ended up just giving him unused jobs so I can make use of spears and guns.

Not sure if you've locked it, but you can not actually edit the above link.

• DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    I'm just grinding Dustia right now with Vaan, because its dead easy, I can do it on the vita while my kids watch TV in the morning and it's too tempting not to level up all six characters a bit right at the beginning (since everyone's starting level keys off of Vaan's level when they join)

I did Shikari for his job. I haven't really decided on the others yet, but I can't have Ashe not be the knight. She always was my main tank in the original version.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    Ah.

Quickenings are limit breaks, basically. You may remember Basch using a cinematic attack on that flying machine in the tutorial. That was a Quickening. Each character has 3 that are learned individually from special spots on the license board. You learn the 3 in order, no matter which tile on the license board you learn them from (for example, Vaan's first quickening is always Red Spiral).

In ZA, quickenings consume a resource called Mist Charges to be used. I don't know how you get them, but I do know you can hold up to 3. Each Quickening you learn is stronger than the last, and costs one more Mist Charge to use than the last. The third one you learn will be the strongest, and cost all 3 charges.

When you use a Quickening, your character stops the action to do a big cinematic attack. While that's happening, you have a few seconds to input another action for one of your party members. You randomly get the chance to have someone do another Quickening right after the current one is done, or to use an action called Mist Charge to replenish one charge. Or you can press a button to re-shuffle your options. If you do it right, you can Chain a bunch of Quickenings together for massive damage. The tricky thing is that each successive Quickening shortens the time you have to input your next action.

The license board strategy regarding Quickenings comes from the fact that each tile that teaches a Quickening also has some licenses behind it. Meaning that you'd need to learn the Quickening from that license tile to reach the licenses behind it. But you can only ever learn 3 Quickenings, and your two license boards have more than 3 Quickening licenses on them. This means that you can't get all the tiles on your license board; you have to choose which paths to open up.

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    The license board strategy regarding Quickenings comes from the fact that each tile that teaches a Quickening also has some licenses behind it. Meaning that you'd need to learn the Quickening from that license tile to reach the licenses behind it. But you can only ever learn 3 Quickenings, and your two license boards have more than 3 Quickening licenses on them. This means that you can't get all the tiles on your license board; you have to choose which paths to open up.

Just for clarification since I wasn't sure about it myself until I unlocked my second job boards: Each Quickening slot you buy unlocks that slot on BOTH boards, ie if you unlock the 50lp slot on your first board it will unlock it on the second as well. Each board should have 4 Quickening slots total, but you should take both boards into account before you unlock the slots to make sure you're opening up the slots you want.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »

Just for clarification since I wasn't sure about it myself until I unlocked my second job boards: Each Quickening slot you buy unlocks that slot on BOTH boards, ie if you unlock the 50lp slot on your first board it will unlock it on the second as well. Each board should have 4 Quickening slots total, but you should take both boards into account before you unlock the slots to make sure you're opening up the slots you want.

Anything super-neat or unique locked behind those slots?