As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Explosive blubber [Dishonored 2]

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Would you guys be interested in a Telltale Dishonored game y/n/m?

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I would be very interested in a very good Dishonored 2 novel

as a game, I think it needs all its wacky, systems driven, environmental exploration gameplay.

it's just that they managed to create a world that I am now pretty interested in

edited December 2016
    fwiw there is at least one novel and some comics at the moment. Don't know if they're any good but they probably have at least a chance of being less uneven and seemingly written by committee than the games have been thusfar.

august on
    edited December 2016
    I finally recently got round to reading a scifi novel called Ancillary Justice, which is contains a whole lot of conversations and debates about the morality of how societies are stuctures, and the implications of trying to act and change things and basically I want a whole novel of that except it's dishonored

edit: I'm actually curious how one would write about the action of dishonored while still being good. Because in the game you get to understand exactly what the limitations of the powers and the tools are, but as prose i'd imagine that it would just end up sounding really overpowered and it'd be hard to actually write it as an interesting challenge. But maybe I'm just not that creative when it comes to writing.

Lalabox on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    I finally recently got round to reading a scifi novel called Ancillary Justice, which is contains a whole lot of conversations and debates about the morality of how societies are stuctures, and the implications of trying to act and change things and basically I want a whole novel of that except it's dishonored

edit: I'm actually curious how one would write about the action of dishonored while still being good. Because in the game you get to understand exactly what the limitations of the powers and the tools are, but as prose i'd imagine that it would just end up sounding really overpowered and it'd be hard to actually write it as an interesting challenge. But maybe I'm just not that creative when it comes to writing.

Well, part of that in the game is you have more potential abilities than practical ones. You could at any point be a teleporting murder ghost who can stop time, summon swarms of rats, and control people's minds, but generally you're limited to one or two powers at high levels for most of the game.

"Leveling up" is less of a thing in most mainstream fiction than it is in games, outside of shonen anime at least. Spider-Man might get better at Spider-Maning, but he does whatever a spider can from Amazing Fantasy 15 to the present day. You'd probably want to give Corvo or Emily a couple powers, not the whole set, and focus on creative use for them. Blink may be badass, but it's easy to show its limits, especially in a visual medium.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »

No, I like playing Dishonored games.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

No, I like playing Dishonored games.

Dishonored Go might be fun though

2x39jD4.jpg
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Ok, so I've jumped back into this now that it has been patched.

I've played through several hours and, after several billion quickloads, I've realised that I'm not particularly enjoying going full stealth/non-lethal.

I'm having much more fun attempting an initial stealth/non-lethal approach, and then going loud and/or deadly if I mess up (which is not infrequently), living with my choices instead of relying on quicksaves. It feels like a much more natural experience.

Is there any notable down side to this, other than missing achievements?

I mean things are going to start to get dark if you kill enough people to get into High Chaos.

Personally I don't think the stealth in his game is that hard if you invest in Dark Vision and teleport away and come back later if things go south. You can also choke someone out after a parry.

edited December 2016
    But there are no downsides to going loud as long as you don't kill a bunch of people. The non-fatal drop attack is especially useful in this regard.

edit: you can also upgrade Emily's far reach to fling enemies toward you and catch them and choke them out which is pretty hilarious.

august on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    But there are no downsides to going loud as long as you don't kill a bunch of people. The non-fatal drop attack is especially useful in this regard.

edit: you can also upgrade Emily's far reach to fling enemies toward you and catch them and choke them out which is pretty hilarious.

Combine it with Domino so you catch one guy and go "oh right" as the other three fly off the cliff behind you

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Are there any significant narrative quality differences between a high and low chaos playthrough?

edited December 2016
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Are there any significant narrative quality differences between a high and low chaos playthrough?

I mean your character is a murderous dick and everyone pretty much hates you and your allies hate themselves for helping you.

Other than that no?

edit: also life is shitty for your subjects and there's a lot more fighting and violence all around.

august on
    Also Stun Mines: upgrade those motherfuckers.

I've also run into this great glitch where sometimes when Emily sneaks right up close to a civilian and then stands up, they violently ragdoll through the air and die.

edited December 2016
    That sounds pretty amazing. I'm playing on ps4, so relatively bug free. Although for some reason on my initial aborted no-powers attempt I kept seeing the game engine slide characters into place in a real crazy way, but that stopped when I gave up and just played a normal playthrough. Which is weird.

What I really want is some Dunwall City Trials 2. Tried going back and doing the ones in the Dishonored 1 Definitive Edition and it's kinda hard to go back to.

august on
    edited December 2016
    august on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Man, that's a fun speedrun

But holy cow the thing the runner says at around 18:00 about trigger warnings is super shitty

"Why would I want to warn people that I'm going to offend them?"

Fuck off, dude

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    i was looking into speedruns, and the fastest one I could find of emily (who is apparently just a straight up faster character) opened with the joking around with rape discussions and it's just uugggghhh

Veldrin wrote: »

I mean your character is a murderous dick and everyone pretty much hates you and your allies hate themselves for helping you.

Other than that no?

edit: also life is shitty for your subjects and there's a lot more fighting and violence all around.

The heart will make you feel like a dick if you just ask it about the state of the world and I think Emily's voiced lines will trend real dark too

2x39jD4.jpg
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Details on the New Game Plus Mode
    You get to mix powers from both characters.
    This is exactly what I wanted.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Yeess

Excited to do a high chaos new game plus to contrast my original run

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    New Game + update is live, at least on PC.

I finally had enough time to finish chapter 7

I dunno how the rest of the game will go but I liked chapter 7 a whole bunch
    and finally something positive seems to have happened, I knew my habit of choking out everyone ever would pay off eventually

2x39jD4.jpg
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I am finally getting around the playing this and I am thinking of maybe just going stab-y for my first play through and wait to try to not kill anyone when I have a full bag of tricks in NG+?

Is there anything for killing no one, or is just an achievement? Because I might just do a mix of lethal and non-lethal this play through.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
    Yeah, aside from achivements/personal satisfaction, I don't think there's any payoff for going fully non-lethal.
    I'm pretty sure the game just cares about high/low chaos, and if you killed your targets.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Playing non lethal first time is a great way to have no fun with this game.

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Excellent news! I will continue to murder my way through then.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I did mostly nonlethal and had a great time!
    I just didn't reload if a dude fell asleep into a fire or something

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I did my first playthrough as a mostly non-lethal run. Creeping around everywhere super slow, knocking dudes out, only killing a couple people when I felt like it or got spotted.

Just did a new game a couple days ago to get the high chaos/beat the game as corvo achievements and had a friggin blast. It was all cool sword fights and killing people in spectacular ways. My favorite new ability might actually be the reflex one, where time goes into slow mo if you get spotted? Because the intention there is clearly to give you time to deal with a threat quickly before they sound an alert or something, but for me it just existed to watch my character kill or beat up people in glorious slow motion. The only downside I found to high chaos was the characters in-game talking to me like I'm an asshole, which, I mean, is reasonable, it just kind of bummed me out.

Corvo had some hilarious lines in high chaos. Like, there's a statue in Jindosh's place of some kind of cthulhu monster. In low chaos Emily was like "wow, the sea hides such amazing creatures", while high chaos corvo was like "I'D LOVE TO SEE THIS THING MURDER DELILAH". And when screwing around with a vise Corvo said something about using it to crush the heads of his enemies and it was just like, dude relax.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I wish they'd ditch the whole chaos system. It just feels like it pushes people into doing either all-stab or all-choke in their playthroughs so they can get the "good" or "bad" ending. Same with the "don't kill anyone" or "don't ever get spotted" cheevos. Maybe keep the single-level ones, but ditch the ones for the entire game.

The only time I ever felt compelled to do a non-lethal/ghost run of a game was mgs4, because that game actually gave you some goofy shit as unlockables for completing those tasks.

Dishonored's only rewards for those things being achievements definitely makes it easier to ignore for me, but yeah, if I'm going for low chaos there's definitely part of my brain that's going "why not just go non-lethal while you're at it?"

That being said, I actually started a new game of Dishonored 1 with the intention of going high chaos, but still playing it like a stealth game and avoiding alerts and open combat. As it turns out, you can actually kill a bunch of people and still get low chaos as long as you do it stealthily.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    I had a tonne of fun going Batman and "non-lethally" maiming and brutalising anyone who got in my way.

Far reach is hilarious.

One time I stuck a stun mine to a decapitated head and threw it off a roof into a group of guards. Can't say any other game has given me such an experience.

Oh, and I don't recommend sticking a razor mine with a range upgrade to a cup and walking around with it. The range is much greater than I would have thought.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Bumping this, since I've just tried it out for the first time...

Oh, so I'm not the only one to feel this way? I spent 90 min trying to stealth through "A Long Day in Dunwall", and eventually just had to turn the game off. The setting oozes character and there's great world-building, but this game is shit to play as a novice without any powers. I just died and died, and then died some more, until I realized I wasn't having any fun, at all.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Senna1 wrote: »

Oh, so I'm not the only one to feel this way? I spent 90 min trying to stealth through "A Long Day in Dunwall", and eventually just had to turn the game off. The setting oozes character and there's great world-building, but this game is shit to play as a novice without any powers. I just died and died, and then died some more, until I realized I wasn't having any fun, at all.

I feel like the first level of Dishonored 2 is way harder than the one in the first game. It took me a while to get into it, but after that I had a blast.

Part of it is also just figuring out how the game works and memorizing level layouts. I had an easier time with the first level on my subsequent playthroughs.

Yeah, long day in dunwall is pretty bad from an introductory standpoint, even if it sort of fits as a thematic level

• CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Senna1 wrote: »

I feel like the first level of Dishonored 2 is way harder than the one in the first game. It took me a while to get into it, but after that I had a blast.

Part of it is also just figuring out how the game works and memorizing level layouts. I had an easier time with the first level on my subsequent playthroughs.
    Definitely. The first game gives you a lot of freebies in Coldridge - many guards start off facing away from you or away from where you want to go, climbable pipes come out at eye level to catch your attention and go up above where guards can even see you, lots of walls and doors and barriers to break line of sight, etc. 2, on the other hand, basically drops you into a real level once you get out of Dunwall Tower.
    There are fairly safe back ways around every patrol on the streets, though. I think they expect you to find them, rather than thread the patrol routes, because the latter is ten times harder if you don't just murder everyone.
    Alternately, you can take the train.

• Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    I'm sure I'll come back to it, sooner rather than later. I love the concept, I was just a bit shocked at how little progress I seemed to be making.

Thematically, I agree it's appropriate; you've just been deposed, your allies killed or incapacitated, you're alone, lack powers, and the opposing forces know you're coming. Realistically, it shouldn't be an easy level. It's just a rough intro...

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    On a first play through, I'd discard any ideas of going full non-lethal or anything like that. Especially in that first level, which is basically set up for you to murder a whole mess of traitors.