As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Interesting! Looks like the Crab are going to have effects that involve sacrificing themselves to boost the rest of your clan. Seems like it could be not great against attrition battles though.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    The wall only stands because of the sacrifice of the Crab. Remember that.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, the Crab fiction is up.

Dark Hands of Heaven.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Man. So many names in that fiction.. I had a hard time following them all.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    That story just reminded me how much I like Kisada and how much I hate Yakamo.

Kuni Yori was... a little overtly mustache twirling for my tastes, but hey, he's a bad dude who is going to do bad things.

edited July 2017
    Man, what kind of mind-eff would it be if Yori didn't end up going evil in this timeline?

You'd keep on expecting him to turn, but... nope, he's just a asshole.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    That would actually be amazing. "This time I'm sure he's going to do something evil!"

persona4celestia.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Crab card spoilers are coming slower, or maybe I'm not noticing them.

Also, people are starting to print and play to get a feel for the game.

From the Art of War podcast, https://artofwarcast.podbean.com/ :

PlMrLLjh.jpg

High influence cost attachment.. that bleeds honor.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited July 2017
    It's funny, I was just going to go back and map out when spoilers came out to confirm my feeling that there has been less this preview cycle. Glad I wasn't alone.

Also holy shit that follower. It real good.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm hoping to convince my buddy, who used to be a crab fisherman, to play a crab deck, so I need more spoilers.

What is this I don't even.
    There's a couple more, but one of them is being partially masked until the podcast actually comes out that will talk about it. :)

"The Table Is Yours" was sent:

Kaiu Shuichi
    Character, 4 Fate

3 Military
    3 Political

2 Glory

Bushi. Engineer.

(they haven't revealed the text box yet)

Here we go, Crab Time.

Rokugan's Shield.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Couple more previews in Team Covenant's video as well. Intimidating Hida and Eager Scout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXvyrzQq0V0

persona4celestia.jpg
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I like the fluff of the Crab from the RPG, and also the prospect of taking down monsters and dealing with the Shadowlands taint. Being a defensive force isn't really my shtick in a card game, but I'll totally give it a try. I like the sacrifice mechanics: it makes dealing with a big push from your opponent a real gut check, hoping they don't have the ability to do it again next round. I can't wait for this game!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Athenor wrote: »
    There's a couple more, but one of them is being partially masked until the podcast actually comes out that will talk about it. :)

"The Table Is Yours" was sent:

Kaiu Shuichi
    Character, 4 Fate

3 Military
    3 Political

2 Glory

Bushi. Engineer.

(they haven't revealed the text box yet)

And the full version of Kaiu Shuichi is out in the wild. Link.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Man, it feels neat seeing all the old fan sites popping up again.

Over on the Crab Clan Catastrophe, they've got a Crab event preview: Levy.

Was wondering if they were going to have some sort of econ boost, since their stuff seemed a bit expensive.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Holy crap that card...

And 3 influence to boot!

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Man, it feels neat seeing all the old fan sites popping up again.

Over on the Crab Clan Catastrophe, they've got a Crab event preview: Levy.

Was wondering if they were going to have some sort of econ boost, since their stuff seemed a bit expensive.

... wait, Crab's allowed an economy in this incarnation of the game? Intriguing.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I'm really curious which designer over at FFG helped design this faction.

persona4celestia.jpg
    I was gonna say that splashing crab was looking promising... Then I noticed that was a dynasty card.

FFGLive's going on right now, on their Facebook page. They're playing a full game.

persona4celestia.jpg
    shit shit shit forgot thank you!

edited July 2017
    Aaaand that's how Crab do. That Kaiu Envoy that has both Courtesy and Sincerity is going to be sacrifice fodder, so they gain both a fate and a card draw when it leaves play.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited July 2017
    Holy bloody hell.

Next week is Phoenix. And when they said they did ring manipulation, they weren't kidding!

Athenor on
    This also means that either they double up for the 2 weeks leading to GenCon, or they do either Scorpion or Unicorn.

As a unicorn player, sadface... :(

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Display of Power seems awesome. I'm super impressed at how well every clan has a clear theme and playstyle out of the gate.

I wonder if they might just do the previews & the fiction in the same week a couple of times.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Display of Power seems awesome. I'm super impressed at how well every clan has a clear theme and playstyle out of the gate.

Yeah. I mean, there are drawbacks - namely that you likely will lose a province, you will DEFINITELY lose one honor (for an uncontensted conflict), you have to have a Shugenja on the field, and it is expensive to play... But not only does that deny your opponent the ring effect, it gives you +1 in the imperial favor (plus more if you deliberately left a readied character out there).

PMAvers wrote: »
    I wonder if they might just do the previews & the fiction in the same week a couple of times.

Unicorn and Scorpion have always been close, so I can see that.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Yeah. I mean, there are drawbacks - namely that you likely will lose a province, you will DEFINITELY lose one honor (for an uncontensted conflict), you have to have a Shugenja on the field, and it is expensive to play... But not only does that deny your opponent the ring effect, it gives you +1 in the imperial favor (plus more if you deliberately left a readied character out there).

There's a psychological factor, too. If you are planning an attack against Phoenix, how much do you commit to something that might go uncontested? Especially if that becomes a theme for Phoenix - take deliberate losses for great rewards.

edited July 2017

Actually... does it actually require a shugenja in play? Yeah, it's got the Spell type, but there's Cloud the Mind that actually specifically mentions that you need to control one to play it. This and Know the World don't. Unless there's rule-book text I missed.

There could be stuff that keys specifically off the keyword.

EDIT:
    There's a psychological factor, too. If you are planning an attack against Phoenix, how much do you commit to something that might go uncontested? Especially if that becomes a theme for Phoenix - take deliberate losses for great rewards.

There's a bunch of stuff that doesn't require actually being in the battle to do as well. If you can, say, shell the opponent enough from home so they don't take the province, it could be worth it too.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Hmm. Cloud the Mind is an attachment, but that "only if you control a shugenja" is very clear and very much specific text.

Maybe you are right. Maybe the Phoenix are so badass that they don't even need shugenja out on the field to do their magic.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Holy bloody hell.

Next week is Phoenix. And when they said they did ring manipulation, they weren't kidding!

I'm really wondering how many cards from other LCGs they're going to reprint in L5R

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    @Shorty
    "Fate Siphon. Scorpion, 4 influence, 0 cost Event. Play only if you win a conflict as the attacker. Your opponent loses three Fate and you gain three Fate. Lose two Honor. "

I forgot to mention it, but they did mention during the stream that the play mats they were using were going to be for sale later in the year. I rather dig them.

wzuAga1.png

persona4celestia.jpg
    They will also be giving away signed ones.

I don't have the text in front of me, but apparently the storyline tourney is kicking off with a parade that anyone can attend.

I don't have the text in front of me, but apparently the storyline tourney is kicking off with a parade that anyone can attend.

I assume that it's probably part of the Opening Ceremonies. Where'd you see it?

persona4celestia.jpg