As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I would like more games to use magnets.

Also lasers. I own that Khet game, which is basically laser chess, and I never play it. But I'm abstractly glad I own it.

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Yikerz is my favorite magnet game, despite the title. Then AttrAction as a runner up. As a bonus, you can play AttrAction with a Yikerz set (though not the other way around).

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Looking at founders of Gloomhaven I'm wondering about replayability. It seems to lack any dynamic elements outside of the other players and I'm not sure it's deep enough to survive that

Then again it's pretty rare that I play anything nearly as many times as it would take to hit that limit

Also the prototype is ugly

Hmm

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Looking at founders of Gloomhaven I'm wondering about replayability. It seems to lack any dynamic elements outside of the other players and I'm not sure it's deep enough to survive that

Then again it's pretty rare that I play anything nearly as many times as it would take to hit that limit

Hmm

yeah that proto is hella poop

• Mahou So-soMahou So-so Registered User regular

Hmm

I thought the order of the special buildings were random? And if you just make sure to rotate player seating order/starting position, I imagine even if nothing was different that you'd see some radically different outcomes.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

Hmm

I thought the order of the special buildings were random? And if you just make sure to rotate player seating order/starting position, I imagine even if nothing was different that you'd see some radically different outcomes.

I missed special buildings being variable. That might be enough.

Edit: and eight races. Fine. That seems like enough subtle differences to avoid degenerate strategies

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I just got my board expansion for Cthulhu Wars that was missing from the shipment!

Obviously I sent out an email invitation to my group to play, entitled

"Oh baby yoooou, Yuggoth what I neeeeed"

But you say the world will end
    Ohhhh baby yoooouuu

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

Hmm

Edit: and eight races. Fine. That seems like another subtle differences to avoid degenerate strategies

I think starting resource and starting position are also random/can be different each game.

steam_sig.png

Hmm

Edit: and eight races. Fine. That seems like another subtle differences to avoid degenerate strategies

I think starting resource and starting position are also random/can be different each game.

Starting positions are chosen so technically they will be all different.

I just got my board expansion for Cthulhu Wars that was missing from the shipment!

Obviously I sent out an email invitation to my group to play, entitled

"Oh baby yoooou, Yuggoth what I neeeeed"

Ohhhh baby yoooouuu

you are terrible people

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    So Eldritch Horror arrived already, good job Chaos Cards website!

Wonder if I can persuade my wife for a 2 player warm up game ahead of playing with the guys on Tuesday.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Got to play our second game of Millennium Blades yesterday! We managed to do the Pre-Release tournament, Deckbuilding Phase 1, and Tournament 1 before we had to pack up and leave.

Man, I really like that game. It's so good gameplay-wise, but it's also so clever, and has so much good referential humor. We pulled out the Doctor Balanced card yesterday (which I already knew existed), and two of my friends who also play Hearthstone nearly died from laughter. I'm so impressed with how they managed to simulate the experience of playing a CCG; one of my friends even said that this is his favorite part of playing CCGs - assemble mechanics into a combo, play the interesting combo, done.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Century was a blast.

My group was also playing some bluffing game about witches delivering potions that was an absolutely miserable slog.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Century was a blast.

My group was also playing some bluffing game about witches delivering potions that was an absolutely miserable slog.

Wait, Broom Service?

Because man, slog is the last thing I'd use to describe that game, I quite adore it!

Inquisitor wrote: »
    Century was a blast.

Wait, Broom Service?

Because man, slog is the last thing I'd use to describe that game, I quite adore it!

It was the longest, worst "seven rounds" I ever had, and I play Cry Havoc!

Inquisitor wrote: »
    Century was a blast.

Wait, Broom Service?

It was the longest, worst "seven rounds" I ever had, and I play Cry Havoc!

I almost wonder if your group was getting a rule wrong or something? Our games are typically sub one hour and its one of my go to light games.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Ok, I played Twilight Imperium for the first time today. 6 players, about 9 hours, only that short because I wanted to quit and we agreed to end it early. I have to admit, I'm not super impressed! There's some interesting stuff there, but also some dumb things. And the different mechanics, rather than feeling like a set of intermeshed gears, seemed to feel like they were only somewhat relevant to each other.

The big thing to me was the imperial strategy card. Why have a card which is such a no-brainer to take? We passed a weird law which meant that the imperial card didn't get taken, and we weren't even sure if the game could end that way. There also seemed to be a real big disparity in the power of the action and political cards, as well as the combat in general. I spent several turns building up a huge fleet, and it got crushed by a force basically half its size, due to them having much better action cards than me, and also some real lucky rolling.

It just feels like luck plays a much larger role than it seems with all of the trappings around it, way more than you would think for such a long game. And it doesn't even need to be that long! There's a lot of things that seem to pad the game length out, having to debate all the political cards, all the different times you could play action cards, all the secondary activations, waiting on all the combats and rolls.

I don't think I would play it again, and I don't really understand the love I've seen for it, even with the caveats for length and whatnot. I really wanted a big space opera with more negotiation and politicking and such, as compared to eclipse, and while this is definitely more flavorful it is not nearly as fun as a game.

sig.gif
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Looks like the long awaited Concordia reprint actually happened and should be making its way to retailers shortly

http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games/concordia/245683

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Heafty price tag on Concordia

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    FFG is rather impressively bad at fixing any issues their games have during the design phase. It took Battlestar Galactica three expansions to fix its issues, New Angeles rival mechanic is a very crude band-aid to keep the cooperative core gameplay from being tanked by a resentful last place... and Twilight Imperium's Imperial strategy card is another crude way to keep the game from stalling, and all players from turtling for hours days. It does get kind of fixed with the first expansion, though.

Combat on the other hand is a blight on this game. While I do like the swingyness of it which makes combat a tense affair, the fact that you can keep whiffing again and again makes that part of TI3 one of the most outdated and plain bad elements of it. The game thrives on the immersive gameplay and social experience of striving for dominance. But I consider its lack of an allied victory option the game's biggest and most inexcusable flaw. Still, I kind of love the game because it brings politicking to the table like no other game out there. Every other game is too thin, too superficial and your decisions too light on consequences to really make politics count.

Joe Dizzy on
    The Rival mechanic in New Angeles is great.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular

It's better than the 80-120 asking price is been sitting at for a year+. It's down into regular boardgame price territory again. I mean $45 doesn't seem like an outrageous price for a solid eurogame to me.

• Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017

It's amazing. I will port it into every eurogame I know. But that rule also further complicates a game that's already putting incentives and tools at odds with one another.

Joe Dizzy on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

The traitor mechanic, OTOH...

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Joe Dizzy wrote: »
    FFG is rather impressively bad at fixing any issues their games have during the design phase. It took Battlestar Galactica three expansions to fix its issues, New Angeles rival mechanic is a very crude band-aid to keep the cooperative core gameplay from being tanked by a resentful last place... and Twilight Imperium's Imperial strategy card is another crude way to keep the game from stalling, and all players from turtling for hours days. It does get kind of fixed with the first expansion, though.

Combat on the other hand is a blight on this game. While I do like the swingyness of it which makes combat a tense affair, the fact that you can keep whiffing again and again makes that part of TI3 one of the most outdated and plain bad elements of it. The game thrives on the immersive gameplay and social experience of striving for dominance. But I consider its lack of an allied victory option the game's biggest and most inexcusable flaw. Still, I kind of love the game because it brings politicking to the table like no other game out there. Every other game is too thin, too superficial and your decisions too light on consequences to really make politics count.

Yeah, we basically never played without Imperial II, even if we used the older cards.

On mobile so I can't go into it at length: But I like Twilight Imperium more than Eclipse because you have to build towards people and interact while Eclipse is a lot of building away from people.

I like both though.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

It's better than the 80-120 asking price is been sitting at for a year+. It's down into regular boardgame price territory again. I mean $45 doesn't seem like an outrageous price for a solid eurogame to me.

With shipping that sale price brings it back up to normal price of $65, which is what Amazon has it for. That is the price I find a bit much.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I've never played TI3 without the Shattered Empires expansion, which does make some changes and improvements like Imperial II replacing the original Imperial. So I can't really comment on vanilla TI3.

With the expansion though, TI3 is absolutely one of my top 10 games. Maybe top 5. Many of my favorite gaming memories come from TI3 sessions. I can understand not liking the swinginess of combat at times due to dice rolls though. The action cards are something you learn to account for a bit.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So as someone who owns both expansions but has only gotten to play TI base less than a handful of times, what is the ideal optional rule makeup?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    The original imperial card acting as a game clock is really good design. Particularly as there are times when it makes sense not to take it. It probably just needed explicitly stating in the rules.

The modified set of cards is on the whole better but it basically relies on turning over the Whatsit Rex card to end the game which doesn't give the same sense of immediacy

Generally though TI3 is a decade old. And it shows its age now

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    What Mojo said. I've been a die hard fan of TI3 for 10 years and I'm trying to get a game together this summer, but I don't think anyone can say that there aren't giant flaws in TI3.

The beautiful thing about it is that it shines through the flaws and I can still have fun after a 12 hour session :)

Athenor wrote: »
    So as someone who owns both expansions but has only gotten to play TI base less than a handful of times, what is the ideal optional rule makeup?

Use the alternate strategy cards (maybe with the fix to keep hidden objectives if you fancy rather than starting with then flipped and just counting down), racial techs and motherships

Probably steer clear of distant suns as it makes things a bit too swingy (although I do enjoy the novelty). If you do want to use it make sure to use the variant seeding so that the outer ring is safe and doesn't include any "fuck you, you lose the game" tokens on your first turn

I've never used leaders, I think the consensus is that they extend the game quite a bit from extra fiddling but don't do much

I'm struggling to remember what else there is, I don't own the second expansion myself. The artifact thingies that give VP are a good way to keep things dynamic. Refineries and thingy upgrades on systems are probably more trouble than they're worth. The neutral space station things are probably only interesting if you've played it a huge amount and need variety

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

I would actually go look at some of the rulesets in the PBPs in this forum archive, Mr B experimented a lot and I think he came out with some good simple modifications in the end.

Public objectives, Bureaucracy, and thinning down the politics deck to make politics cards more impactful are all good ideas in my opinion.

Oh yeah. Whittle down the politics deck to just leave cards that do something. Remove everything that does nothing on a no

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Bought Takenoko on recommendation from a friend. Love it. The pieces as charming as hell and it's a great addition to my "not so serious" tier of games.

Then also got Scythe, which is probably the exact opposite. Got it a few weeks ago for Tabletop Simulator and was intrigued so I ordered the physical game. My wife had a hard time getting into it, and although she got the hang of it I don't think she's a fan. I like it though.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    So apparently there's some sort of semi-secret game called Raxxon coming out from plaid hat. Apparently to even preorder it you currently need a code given to you by someone who has already preordered. There is a How to Play on Rodney Smith's channel. It looks cool, but I am irked that they won't just let me preorder the damn thing.

• VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    So today, I won some store credit from a commander tournament. I bought Millenium Blades, Space Hulk: Death Angel, Spectre Ops, Samurai Spirit, Clank: sunken treasures, and Pit Stop!

Initial impressions, millenium blades seems actually REALLY fun, spent most of the night doing the initial prep for the game.

Spectre Ops looks great, I love the look of the miniatures, and stealth games can be a blast.

Samurai Spirit seems a fun little tower defense game, grabbed it for some downtime at work with one of my coworkers.

Pit Stop was DIRT cheap, like 5 bucks. Havent even looked at it yet

Clank's expansion was also on sale for cheap, 15 bucks. The board looks great, the cards look fun. Gotta see how it plays out though.

Pretty happy with my haul.

League of Legends:Varega
    Clank's expansion is sweet. The discard mechanic works on both the old and new board, giving players more opportunities to cancel out Clanks and turn them into good things.

Cthulhu Wars Onslaught 3 foes up on KS today and I really don't know if I'll be able to make myself back it. Petersen Games performance and general attitude lately has been a fucking garbage fire and I'm hard pressed to even LOOK at my CW game much less play it.

first world problems etc tho I guess

edited July 2017
    If you want to furrow your browser at stupidity I strongly recommend the Founders of Gloomhaven comments

Lots of people suggesting really awful ideas and then getting super defensive about them when updates state they aren't going to happen.

I am leaning towards backing now despite it being pretty ugly having watched a few playthroughs and mulled it over. A better approach to reduced player counts would probably push me over

Mojo_Jojo on
This discussion has been closed.