As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] 8th ed Incoming! New Profiles, new rules new stats quo.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    On the whole New Games Workshop thing, the pre-order section on their webstore has three different starter kits ranging from $8 to $80. The two expensive kits are two armies and some rules and whatnot, the cheapo one is a magazine with some fluff and rules and hobby stuff in it along with a snap-fit marine.

Multiple entry level products that don't break the bank is pretty good thinking. I've wanted to have GW come out with an equivalent to the Infinity big boxes for a while.

Now to hope that the new codexes aren't $50.

Is it just me or does the ability to shoot even after Falling Back (albeit at a -1 penalty) seem pretty freaking powerful?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    It is. And means Smurfs are a really good gunline army. They have more ability to clean up than other gunlines if they survive first/second turn charges.

But also focuses into a specific style of gameplay.

Curious to see the other chapters like Black Templars and Salamanders.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    It is. And means Smurfs are a really good gunline army. They have more ability to clean up than other gunlines if they survive first/second turn charges.

It's +1 leadership and they have additional options when falling back, that's not exactly locking them in that tightly.
    I just get a little nervous to see the first Chapter Tactic is that strong.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Since I sold all my stuff in 5th/6th and left the hobby, and with 8th out in the wild, is there a small format people are playing?

200-500, like Kill Team, would be ideal. I live in DC now, so if anyone knows shops playing said format... I'd appreciate pointers in that direction.

Anon the Felon on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Since I sold all my stuff in 5th/6th and left the hobby, and with 8th out in the wild, is there a small format people are playing?

200-500, like Kill Team, would be ideal. I live in DC now, so if anyone knows shops playing said format... If appreciate pointers in that direction.

Shadow war :Armegeddon. It's a nercomunda rerelease that uses normal troops from each army.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

200-500, like Kill Team, would be ideal. I live in DC now, so if anyone knows shops playing said format... If appreciate pointers in that direction.

Shadow War is great, although a bit different than the standard 40k format, and I'm guessing it won't be too difficult to find people willing to play it with you.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I desperately want an excuse to buy a ton of Ironjawz stuff and convert it to 40k...

I kind of love that (I'm pretty sure) the megaboss is bigger than a Killa kan...

Anon I think the group I am starting with does Shadow War though most folks are now currently into 40k prep for NOVA. I know they do Age of Sigmar which can be way more focused on skirmishes as well.

Also depending on where exactly in the DC area you are there are a few game stores around with different pops. I know Labrynith in Eastern Market is really nice and I think they might have stuff if you are in town. I am latching on to folks out of Victory Comics. There is another comic/game store combo in Fairfax City I use to go to for some comics and Android but I think they the Warma/Hordes side of things.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

It's +1 leadership and they have additional options when falling back, that's not exactly locking them in that tightly.

I mean, now we know that there is for sure going to be power creep as the new codexes roll out, so hopefully they keep up a fast release rate.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »

I mean, now we know that there is for sure going to be power creep as the new codexes roll out, so hopefully they keep up a fast release rate.

I was actually hoping that having the indexes out would let them get a fee for things and that could minimize the power creep. At least they seem committed to FAQs and updates to season things to taste.

Well we knew there would be changes since the indexes are very much kind of intermediary things. They weren't suppose to be the only books and that a lot of the unique stuff and special rules and such were going to be in the codexes.

Now if the codexes are all being written together/play tested they should hopefully be relatively evenly balanced and if they do stick to their 10 books rather quickly we might be okay. Especially if they keep up that pace.

I want to see the rest of the books.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Yeah, I am feeling more confident than I ever have that codexes will come out with some rapidity, and that when all the codexes are out that the game will have a decent balance. Which are two things I've never said about 40k. I bet the balance is even good once the first round of errata/faq/update gets done.

But, given how mechanically strong the chapter tactics seem to be (i mean, giving a whole army +1 LD and a toned down version of fly for free is really nice!) there is definitely going to be a power spike between those who have their new codexes and those that are still waiting. It also, personally, makes me want to hold off on working too much on my armies until they get a codex. I like to build my armies with targeted fluffy end goals in mind so I want to make sure that my army design will line up well with my army mechanics and fluff.

Very excited to see stuff like chapter tactics open up a variety of playstyles, hopefully playing against different marine chapters really feels like playing against different armies.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I want my combined Space Wolves and Salamanders back

Sallies drop in pods and melta transports and tanks, Space Wolves run up and chew infantry apart

It would work even better this edition, except currently the only melta buff sallies have is Vulkan giving them rerolls within 6", and dropping outside of melta range hurts real bad.

I am holding off on making loyalist till the codex drops.

My CSM are basically my build whatever group and so I have tons of spikey boyz.

Still not sure about my orks. They may be on ice till they get a codex and I decide what I want to do with them. A lot of the more competitive ork list right now, aka boyz in trukks shooting things, doesn't interest me a lot.

Actually orks have lost a lot of interest for me and I am not sure why.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Actually, do we know yet how chapter tactics are going to work with detachments in this edition? Will all the detachments in your army need to share the same chapter or will each detachment be able to have a different one?

I am holding off on making loyalist till the codex drops.

My CSM are basically my build whatever group and so I have tons of spikey boyz.

Still not sure about my orks. They may be on ice till they get a codex and I decide what I want to do with them. A lot of the more competitive ork list right now, aka boyz in trukks shooting things, doesn't interest me a lot.

Actually orks have lost a lot of interest for me and I am not sure why.

It's the same with me and my Nids?

It's weird, like. Nids are better in every single way this edition! But I'm like.... eh the magic is gone for some reason? Let me build space marines?

Brains are weird man.

Burnage wrote: »
    Actually, do we know yet how chapter tactics are going to work with detachments in this edition? Will all the detachments in your army need to share the same chapter or will each detachment be able to have a different one?

Nope!

Also is anyone able to watch the live stream?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    So preview of the first codex and the Remptor Dread.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/14/ultramarines-and-the-redemptor-dreadnought-first-lookgw-homepage-post-2/

The dread is huge. Has an anti-air missile launcher. A mega plasma cannon. And a gatling which if it is anything the vulture will shred hordes.
    I'm starting to get naughty thoughts about running my _almost_ all dread army again, back when Master of the Forge let you take 6 total. Except now with the Redemptor leading...

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    So preview of the first codex and the Remptor Dread.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/14/ultramarines-and-the-redemptor-dreadnought-first-lookgw-homepage-post-2/

The dread is huge. Has an anti-air missile launcher. A mega plasma cannon. And a gatling which if it is anything the vulture will shred hordes.
    I'm starting to get naughty thoughts about running my _almost_ all dread army again, back when Master of the Forge let you take 6 total. Except now with the Redemptor leading...

I don't really like the Redemptor. It looks bottom heavy to me, like they had to inter a heroic near-death Marine who happened to have a giant beer gut.

But then, the only one I've really liked is the box sarcophagus one introduced in 2E. Didn't like the Rogue Trader ones, don't like Contemptors. I have to admit the legs look more workable with actual knees, but still and all I liked the old proportions.

Redemptor being T7 with degrading stats actually makes it kinda squishy compared to an Ironclad.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Anon I think the group I am starting with does Shadow War though most folks are now currently into 40k prep for NOVA. I know they do Age of Sigmar which can be way more focused on skirmishes as well.

Also depending on where exactly in the DC area you are there are a few game stores around with different pops. I know Labrynith in Eastern Market is really nice and I think they might have stuff if you are in town. I am latching on to folks out of Victory Comics. There is another comic/game store combo in Fairfax City I use to go to for some comics and Android but I think they the Warma/Hordes side of things.

I'm going to be in Alexandria, about 10 mins from Huntington station. Still learning the area though, moving from Idaho... Quite the culture shock.

I'll check out Victory Comics next month when my wife and I do the final trip across.

Anon the Felon on
    edited July 2017

I'm going to be I'm Alexandria, about 10 mins from Huntington station. Still learning the area though, moving from Idaho... Quite the culture shock.

I'll check out Victory Comics next month when my wife and I do the final trip across.

Let me know and I will meet you there. I live about 10 minutes from Victory Comics. Its a neat store. Lots of inclusive shit there for comics and gaming nerds.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

I'm going to be in Alexandria, about 10 mins from Huntington station. Still learning the area though, moving from Idaho... Quite the culture shock.

Everyone has been moving to NoVa RIGHT after I moved out... are y'all trying to tell me something?
    In before Keenbean says, 'Move back east!' :lol:

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    My ideal dread design would have the contemptor's relative proportions, the sarcophagus body & tanky arms of the classic, ironclad, and furioso dreads, but with the redemptor's legs. I like how the redemptor's legs kinda split the difference between the more functional design of the contemptor's and the cruder, simpler mechanical design of the more classic WH40K stuff like the traditional dreadnoughts.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

There's actually a Games Workshop store in Springfield that's going to be closer to you than Victory Comics. There's also another game store near there, though I'm not sure how much 40k they do.

Then you've got the Victory Comics (good) and Compleat Strategist (awful), both of which are fairly close. Labyrinth in DC is going to be a pain to get to, though if you're actually walking distance to the metro you might prefer it. Those are the five game stores that are going to be 20-30 minutes range of you.

Mazzyx is right that VC is the nicest, most inclusive store anywhere nearby.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

There's actually a Games Workshop store in Springfield that's going to be closer to you than Victory Comics. There's also another game store near there, though I'm not sure how much 40k they do.

Then you've got the Victory Comics (good) and Compleat Strategist (awful), both of which are fairly close. Labyrinth in DC is going to be a pain to get to, though if you're actually walking distance to the metro you might prefer it. Those are the five game stores that are going to be 20-30 minutes range of you.

Mazzyx is right that VC is the nicest, most inclusive store anywhere nearby.

Good to hear my assumptions via looking at their website that Compleat Strategist or whatever was terrible was correct.

My one gripe with VC is parking can suck balls there.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I feel like dreadnought legs look better or worse depending on their weapon loadout. Melee variants need those lanky jointed limbs, or they look ineffectual and silly. Strap a pair of big guns on and the classic stubby legged variant looks better for what is essentially an all terrain self propelled artillery piece.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Some musings on SM index

Company Veterans can take a stormbolter and chainsword, giving them some good dakka for a decent price. For less than 50% increase in cost over a tactical marine, they double their shooting output and triple their melee output. 10 in a rhino seems like an interesting investment.

Vanguard Vets can all take 2x plasma pistols, at only 1 point more than plasma rifles. This allows you to have a deepstriking squad that drops 10 plasma shots for 160 pts. Two squads and a jump pack captain will run you under 450 and allow you to deliver 20 super charged plasma shots with rerolls to reduce suicide to ~2% per shot. 10 supercharged plasma shots average 7.31 wounds on a t7 3+ model. With Jump, if you can get them stuck in after their drop, they can fall back and fire some more, or stay in combat and fire the pistols in their next shooting phase while locked in. With 2A base, they're passable in combat as well.

Deathwatch Terminators can take 5 guys with 5 PW and 3 AC for 7 pts more than a standard 5 man SM squad (1PW+4PF,5SB)

Deathwatch Bikers pay only 3 pts for +1A and their special issue ammo, which applies to their twin bolters. They can also all take PW, meaning you can run 3 guys moving 14" at T5 W2, all with power weapons for 120 pts.

Ravenwing Black Knights pay 4 pts more than a plasma gun biker for +1A, a corvus hammer, Jink, and Assault 2 18" plasma vs standard.

Sniper rifles scouts have a 10% chance per shot to put a mortal wound on a target, in addition to their actual damage output.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    You guys excited for Fate of Konor?

I checked out the warhammer40000.com website to see if there was any more info and noticed that the "Start Here" section uses a background with Captain Titus blasting an Ork on it. Could this just be an example of a website designer looking through official company archives and simply selecting a picture that they thought looked interesting, or could it be that all of the chaos fuckery going on has altered spacetime enough that the 'alternate universe' depicted in Space Marine could be introduced into the 40k canon? Clearly it is the latter.

Titus/Mira/Nemeroth triumvirate box when, GW?

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Space Marine was set in an alternate universe?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Space Marine was set in a very, very different version of the 40k universe.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I never finished Space Marine but it seemed like regular 40k for the parts I played through, what's so very, very different about it?

I was bad and bought the 3 set of Reavers when I was out buying paint today. I put them together and will base and paint them.

Also their war scroll has them specifically marked as Ultramarines.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I was a horrible tactical marine but an awesome assault
    Only fitting I wore the colours of the Black Templars

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    I never finished Space Marine but it seemed like regular 40k for the parts I played through, what's so very, very different about it?

If I remember right it's almost zero differences except for in the videogame Titus is the Captain of the 2nd Company, whereas in the tabletop game it's Cato Sicarius, and the name or location of the Forge World that the game takes place on is in conflict with established lore.

But, (major end game spoilers):
    Depending on the timeline (and timelines are always fucky in 40K), if Titus was in fact the Captain of the 2nd Company and he was declared a heretic by Inquisitor Thrax after he took him into custody at the end of the game his information may have been purged from all Imperial records. Graia throws a wrench into the works because it's also the name of another Forge World that has a lot of history (and there aren't many Forge Worlds that can build warlord class battle titans), but again, Imperial records could have readily been altered by the Inquisition after the planet was host to a chaos incursion and allllmost saw the birth of a demon prince on its surface and very nearly led to the investigation of an entire company of Ultramarines/entire Regiment of Cadians for Heresy.

Speaking of,

yHUluOG.png

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

If I remember right it's almost zero differences except for in the videogame Titus is the Captain of the 2nd Company, whereas in the tabletop game it's Cato Sicarius, and the name or location of the Forge World that the game takes place on is in conflict with established lore.

But, (major end game spoilers):
    Depending on the timeline (and timelines are always fucky in 40K), if Titus was in fact the Captain of the 2nd Company and he was declared a heretic by Inquisitor Thrax after he took him into custody at the end of the game his information may have been purged from all Imperial records. Graia throws a wrench into the works because it's also the name of another Forge World that has a lot of history (and there aren't many Forge Worlds that can build warlord class battle titans), but again, Imperial records could have readily been altered by the Inquisition after the planet was host to a chaos incursion and allllmost saw the birth of a demon prince on its surface and very nearly led to the investigation of an entire company of Ultramarines/entire Regiment of Cadians for Heresy.

Speaking of,

yHUluOG.png
    There's a theory that the Inquisitor recognized that Titus was a partial null and took him off to... that one demon hell world. Where Titus might not just have been written out of Imperial Records, but consumed entirely by the warp as part of dealing with that planet. Thrax was involved in that particular foray, I think it was a good bit before "current" timeline.

What is this I don't even.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I thought you guys were talking about the Ian Watson novel, which very much was a very different take on 40k.

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I though you were referring to the 80's-era Space Marine version of the setting.

My bad!

• WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I just absolutely crushed a CSM army with my Space Marines, in a manner that would have been impossible with my Tau. Here's the list:
    Detachment: Battalion
    6 Command Points total
    Chapter: Carcharodons
    2000pts (1996pts)

HQ
    Tyberos the Red Wake
    205pts

Librarian with Terminator Armour: 145pts
    Force Stave: 14pts
    Storm Bolter: 2pts
    161pts

Troops
    5x Tactical Marines: 65pts
    1x Storm Bolter (sergeant): 2pts
    1x Meltagun: 17pts
    84pts

84pts

84pts

Elites
    Terminator Squad: 130pts
    4x Power Fist: 80pts
    1x Power Sword: 4pts
    4x Storm Bolter: 8pts
    Assault Cannon: 21pts
    243pts

Terminator Squad: 130pts
    4x Power Fist: 80pts
    1x Power Sword: 4pts
    4x Storm Bolter: 8pts
    Assault Cannon: 21pts
    243pts

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought: 135pts
    Twin Lascannon: 50pts
    Dreadnought CCW: 40pts
    227pts

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought: 135pts
    Dreadnought CCW: 40pts
    227pts

Dedicated Transport

Razorback: 65pts
    Twin Assault Cannon: 35pts
    102pts

Twin Assault Cannon: 35pts
    102pts

117pts

117pts

The only change I'm making to it is dropping a tactical marine so that one squad is understrength at 4 models, and using the extra 13 points to put Dreadnought Chainfists on the two Relic Contemptors, bringing them from AP-3 Damage 3 to AP-4 Damage 4. The Contemptors were the workhorses of the game, punching to death two heldrakes, a helbrute, Huron Blackheart, while dropping wounds off the Helbrutes with their lascannons and sandwiching the enemy army between them and the Terminators. The lascannons and meltaguns generally maimed whatever they looked at, and Tyberos ate four Chaos Terminators after six had charged him. The Librarian smited the rest to death with a roll of 11 for the psychic test, dealing 4 mortal wounds. By the end of the game Tyberos and a Contemptor were both alive on one wound and I'd only lost a unit of 5 Terminators. Overall the army functions like a massive meatgrinder, with termies deep-striking behind their lines and driving them into the Contemptors and into range of the Razorbacks and Tacticals. Probably the best list I've ever made, considering I went second and still beat my opponent like a Cherokee drum. His list wasn't a pushover either, I would have been very surprised if I had beaten it with my Tau.

Warcry on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Pictures of the Reivers and Agressors are in the wild and the codex preview sounds neat! 27 stratagems including upgrading characters and special ammo and formation like effects. Crimson fists are also apparently getting some specific love too, which pleases me as I'm currently tossing up crimson fists and raptors (again) for my primaris bros.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
This discussion has been closed.