As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tabata out at SQuenix. [Final Fantasy] XV development to end prematurely (finally?).

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    The problem with that is the original IZJS only allowed one job per character anyway, so with six jobs you're just playing that version. Also 4JF lets you mix and match the jobs, you just can't have multiple characters with the same job at a time (once you get all 4 jobs). You can still swap them around to mix things up.

Using 4 jobs for 12TZA is the closest compromise, I think. You're severely limited in your access to various job abilities (moreso than IZJS), and you get to combine job abilities, but every character you have still ends up unique in some way. And it's 4 jobs like the classic fiesta, which is nice.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    So, did they get rid of the Sky Pirate's Den under Clan Primer? I mean I get that they're just trophies to unlock on a list, but I kinda liked earning the little sprites.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's gone. I too miss its absence.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Just got to where I left off on my second attempt at beating the game, and boy am I enjoying this version. I will say the two jobs does make the combat a bit less of a challenge (so much so that I hope they tweaked the difficulty a bit), but it's still fun. This is honestly what I wish we could get more out of from Square Enix. This focus in the last two main entry series of a sort of real-world fantastic Final Fantasy just doesn't work I think for this franchise, especially with the move away from the open world. I recall a TON of people not liking the FF XI style combat, but I still think it works here, and am disappointed that they just gave up the system for XIII and XV.

. . .and this remains the best written Final Fantasy in a long while (XIV included). I mean the cribbing from Shakespeare is a bit much at times, but the old-timey quips are just so good and delivered with no care for how much scenery is being chewed:
    Man 1: I'll not be bridled!
    Man 2: Then you prefer the whip.

Giving serious thought to NG+'ing this thing with Female Tanks and Male Casters (especially knowing how the LB works in this version).

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah, my wife "watched" (aka sat on the couch while she read) me play FF15. Two hours into FF12 and she declared that she preferred it because "The writing in the other one was full of stupid."

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Yeah, my wife "watched" (aka sat on the couch while she read) me play FF15. Two hours into FF12 and she declared that she preferred it because "The writing in the other one was full of stupid."

The characterization in 15 was just so dumb; it was like it was written by someone who didn't actually know how friends talk to each other (this is of course forgetting how stupid the story is overall). This one, though there are moments of excess (Vaan meeting Basch for the first), I can believe in the characters and why they are doing the things they are. And there are little touches that tell you where the story is going, but doesn't SCREAM the foreshadowing. For example (one of the main characters, total speculation):
    Clearly he is Cid's kid, and has seen some shit at the Dracloor (sp) Labs. His line about fathers disappointing is just on the nose if it's caught, but could also be dismissed as his usually smart alecky response. Also his split second holding back of Ashe when they first meet shows "This guy knows what's up" even while everyone else is two steps behind.

All in all, I wish SE would get back to this kind of storytelling.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I forgot exactly how terrible the "I'M CAPTAIN BASCH" segment is. Jesus, even with fast forward it's the absolute worst.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man I'm old but I think "I'm Captain Basch..." was an OT at one point.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    My friends and I still shout "don't listen to ondore's lies" to each other on occasion.

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Huh. Just noticed a really weird bug I've never noticed in any other PS4 games.

Some games lacking a defined pause button have got me instinctively using the Playstation button to pull up the home screen to pause the game. Well in Zodiac Age, if you do this (at least during a cutscene), the game does not pause. The cutscene will keep running in the background. So use that in-game pause.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    "I'm Basch" is tedious. But I do like how it kinda foreshadows what goes on next, when the meter only fills quickly if you do it next to certain people.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    I'm a weak man. I bought FFXII. Made Vaan a Shikari and Penelo a monk.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Question about Quickenings. All the ones on my license board for each of my characters are the same (i.e. All of Vaans are Red Spiral) but they all cost different amounts. What's the difference?

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Question about Quickenings. All the ones on my license board for each of my characters are the same (i.e. All of Vaans are Red Spiral) but they all cost different amounts. What's the difference?

The first one you unlock, regardless of location, is the character's level 1 quickening. The second will be their level 2, etc.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    That makes sense. Is there any benefit to buying the 125 LP one over the 50?

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

Certain quickening slots on your board unlock licenses behind it that aren't available elsewhere.

There are four quickening slots on each board but you can only unlock three per character, so you need to pick which ones to unlock to get at the licenses you want access to.

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Sky Pirate's Den traded for PSN-trophies?

Unsubscribe.

Certain quickening slots on your board unlock licenses behind it that aren't available elsewhere.

There are four quickening slots on each board but you can only unlock three per character, so you need to pick which ones to unlock to get at the licenses you want access to.

Ahh, gotcha.

One more question: the 'loot' you pick up from enemies (iron scraps, various elemental stones, cactus fruit, etc) do those have any value outside of being merchant fodder, or am I free to sell with impunity without the revelation later that I should have saved those 50 wolfs teeth?

Ahh, gotcha.

One more question: the 'loot' you pick up from enemies (iron scraps, various elemental stones, cactus fruit, etc) do those have any value outside of being merchant fodder, or am I free to sell with impunity without the revelation later that I should have saved those 50 wolfs teeth?

if I remember correctly, not only can you sell most of them safely, selling them benefits you by unlocking special items to purchase from vendors, once you have sold certain amounts of certain loot items.

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Enlong wrote: »

Ahh, gotcha.

if I remember correctly, not only can you sell most of them safely, selling them benefits you by unlocking special items to purchase from vendors, once you have sold certain amounts of certain loot items.

Yeah the bazaar system means there are certain items in the loot category you might be better saving. Especially if you have your eyes on unlocking the Tournesol later on, it's a good idea to keep track and maybe avoid selling certain loot.

I've been using this old school gamefaqs .txt guide which was for the original game, but most of it applies the same:
    https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/459841-final-fantasy-xii/faqs/45805

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
    Unlock the tournesol? I always assumed it was a reward for the big bridge battle. Interesting.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The "I am Basch" section is easy. You just need to do the thing in front of the Bhujerba Parijanahs. Each one drastically raises the meter at least 15%.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    IIRC, the only class where you have to actually make any choice as to what you are going to unlock with Quickenings is Shikari, who has to choose between a bunch of Ninja Swords (Just ditch the lowest level ones, obviously)

With other classes you could theoretically fuck yourself out of some license spaces if you choose the wrong ones, but Shikari is the only one that has something to unlock behind all four quickenings

Ninja Swords 1 is slightly stronger than Ninja Swords 2 and Ninja Swords 3, but 2 and 3 are almost as strong and elemental, which is good and bad.
    You're going to have to make an actual choice.

Obviously Yagyu is still a nobrainer.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'd rather have the choice of elements, personally

But it largely doesn't matter since Dagger+Shield is a hugely more useful option for a large chunk of the game

And at the end you'll probably spend more time with Yagyu than any of the others, anyway.

IIRC, you can get the Orochi N or whatever it's called in ZA pretty early

Yeah, that's on the same license as Yagyu, so you're good to go.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Is there a good resource for a complete and total noob going in to FFXII? I haven't played a FF since VIII, so I'm pretty out of it on the JRPG front.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Basically, Ninja Swords 1 is good if you're just a really big fan of Disable and Slow. Non-elemental and elemental damage are covered by the other licenses.

As long as you grab the 125 LP Quickening slot as Shikari, you're fine

Just pick whatever else, like roll dice if you really want, it doesn't matter even a little

• FryFry Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

Ahh, gotcha.

Yeah the bazaar system means there are certain items in the loot category you might be better saving. Especially if you have your eyes on unlocking the Tournesol later on, it's a good idea to keep track and maybe avoid selling certain loot.

I've been using this old school gamefaqs .txt guide which was for the original game, but most of it applies the same:
    https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/459841-final-fantasy-xii/faqs/45805

I remember reading about this system after I played the game way back in the day and being furious. Almost as furious as I was about the whole "you shouldn't open chests because it prevents you from getting good things later" thing and the "chests contain randomized loot" thing.

Fry on
    Apparently Burning Bow was mislabelled as Fire-damaging, and is actually Fire-boosting. Which is neat, because Red Mage + Black Mage has a lot of redundancy compared to Red Mage + Archer.

Yep, that's why my Fran is an Archer/Red Mage

• WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    Jobs with lots of +HP squares right at the beginning make the early game super easy. First two bosses went down like chumps with Monk Fran and Shikari Balthier.

Strangely, Uhlan does NOT have HP close to the start. It's also a heavy armor job, so any character starting as Uhlan has to deal with baseline HP. It's actually pretty crappy!

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    I forgot how much I love early game FFXII in its plot. The early character interactions are great, and the plot is really engaging.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I buffered the shitty hp pool uhlan by puttin it on balthier and having vaan and basch stack the easy shikari and knight hp tiles. Balthier was an order of magnitude above everyone else in terms of physical damage and was ripping through bosses up until belias, at which point I had to swap him out because the scripted attack basically one shot him.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So I made Panelo a white mage and gave her a healing rod. Which means I guess I don't attack with her? It took me forever to realize I was actually giving enemies regen, so now she has no attack gambits and will manually whack allies with it from time to time. Still, feels shitty to have one party member just kind of standing there.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    The PS4-version lets you spam spells in a way you couldn't before, so there's that, at least. White Mage is pretty good at Holy-damage, even. But you still have a shot at giving her some other types of weapons with the second board.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

Ahh, gotcha.

DO NOT SELL THE GREAT SERPENTSKIN

(I know you qualified it with "most", but still)

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)