As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] Thank God I Finally Have A Table For Cannabis Potency.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    By the by, this kills my thought that they'll be doing a Force Awakens-specific core rulebook. However, I do now fully expect a Force Awakens-ERA book.

Which is totally fine. No real need to keep doing core books we have the three main rule books splat books for the various eras would be able to fill in the era specific stuff needed fine without wasting a lot of pages on redundant rules.

Hmm...kinda split on that. While the three main lines do mesh together really well they each have their own focus in setting and tone and I really like that. OTOH I don't think Force Awakens is really defined enough to fill that sort of thing out enough so that it didn't just feel like a weak version of the three mixed together.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It should be noted that this is a $40 book. The $30 class books are 96 pages, but I think the $40 are a decent chunk larger than that. It wouldn't be hard to include custom obligation, duty, and morality sections in the character or GM advice area.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    By the by, this kills my thought that they'll be doing a Force Awakens-specific core rulebook. However, I do now fully expect a Force Awakens-ERA book.

Which is totally fine. No real need to keep doing core books we have the three main rule books splat books for the various eras would be able to fill in the era specific stuff needed fine without wasting a lot of pages on redundant rules.

Hmm...kinda split on that. While the three main lines do mesh together really well they each have their own focus in setting and tone and I really like that. OTOH I don't think Force Awakens is really defined enough to fill that sort of thing out enough so that it didn't just feel like a weak version of the three mixed together.

Well with the nice three lines that mesh well together just giving the era specific stuff should allow you to flesh out whichever of the campaigns you want to explore the most. To try to do a core book out of it you run the risk of either having to do truncated versions of each of the three other main books and then add the other era specific stuff to it or just water it down so much as to lose the flavor of the initial three lines.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It should be noted that this is a $40 book. The $30 class books are 96 pages, but I think the $40 are a decent chunk larger than that. It wouldn't be hard to include custom obligation, duty, and morality sections in the character or GM advice area.

Having gotten a couple of the $40 sourcebooks before, a fair amount of the information in them could be used for campaigns for the other two kinds of games without too much difficulty, so it's easy for me to imagine the information in these books being presented in a more neutral, over-arching tone rather than being focused on the smuggler or rebel or force sensitive side of things.

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    It's a supplemental book. It'll probably be full of mostly mediocre stuff and a handful of really good things and everyone will wish more/less was done.

Went through this whole rigmarole with the Prequels. Honestly the less done to tie in to the movies the better.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    edited July 2017
    Ardent wrote: »
    It's a supplemental book. It'll probably be full of mostly mediocre stuff and a handful of really good things and everyone will wish more/less was done.

Went through this whole rigmarole with the Prequels. Honestly the less done to tie in to the movies the better.

Have you looked at any of the other $40 sourcebooks before? The majority of the books tend to be pure fluff, which is fantastic stuff for GMs and players alike, IMO, but I can understand how some folks would be more concerned about pure crunch. The stuff like new species and gear only ever takes up a fraction of the pages, though sometimes there are also new/expanded rules or modular encounters included.

DarkPrimus on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The book has the danger of rehashing the movies, but they have completely avoided that so far so I bet it will be full of fluff and generic things. Their setting books have been my favorites so far, this is the same thing just era focused instead of a different theme.

• Grey_ChocolateGrey_Chocolate Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    All this talk about Star Wars RPGs reminds me of this quote by Christopher Rice (emphasis mine);
    I think I fell in love with the maintaining skills rules after rereading the old Star Wars d20. I came across Anakin/Vader's entry and noticed with much amusement that he had the skill for Podracing as both a kid and as the Dark Lord of the Sith. Not only that, but he had a higher level later on. This meant at some point the Terror of the Galaxy went back to podracing. Which kind of made no sense to me.

Grey_Chocolate on
    Hitting the broken computer does not fix the broken computer. Fixing the broken computer, fixes the broken computer.
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Well would you try to win a pod-race against Darth Vader?

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    This meant at some point the Terror of the Galaxy went back to podracing.

It's a funny joke, but this does not actually follow.

Elvenshae on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    All this talk about Star Wars RPGs reminds me of this quote by Christopher Rice (emphasis mine);
    I think I fell in love with the maintaining skills rules after rereading the old Star Wars d20. I came across Anakin/Vader's entry and noticed with much amusement that he had the skill for Podracing as both a kid and as the Dark Lord of the Sith. Not only that, but he had a higher level later on. This meant at some point the Terror of the Galaxy went back to podracing. Which kind of made no sense to me.

Everyone has a hobby. Darth Vader's was podracing.

This is perplexing because the skill for podracing is Piloting. Why wouldn't Darth Vader have Piloting?

This is perplexing because the skill for podracing is Piloting. Why wouldn't Darth Vader have Piloting?

I think in the original d20 ruleset he actually had Profession (Podracer), too. I could go downstairs and check, but, like, it's all the way downstairs, mang.

• McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    We had our first game of The Nightmares Underneath yesterday ! Turns out, DMing a retro dungeon crawl does not requires the same skill set than GMing a Burning Wheel game AT ALL. So it could have been better, but everyone had a very good time and I now have a better grasp of how I can make this game sings with my GM sensibilities. So it should be a pretty fun retro campaign, with fucked up dream-like disquieting dungeons !

Elvenshae wrote: »

I think in the original d20 ruleset he actually had Profession (Podracer), too. I could go downstairs and check, but, like, it's all the way downstairs, mang.
    I went and looked at the RCR because it's here and not, you know, several states away. It's not in there.

I suppose he may have had Profession in the OCR because they were in that weird period where Profession was a thing.

I went and looked at the RCR because it's here and not, you know, several states away. It's not in there.

I suppose he may have had Profession in the OCR because they were in that weird period where Profession was a thing.

Yep - that's the one.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

Yep - that's the one.

Actually, its not a Profession. I just checked my d20 rulebook, and Darth Vader has Knowledge: Podracing +7. So in his downtime he's watching podracing and keeping up with who's winning what races. He's the Star Wars version of a NASCAR fan.

PSN|AspectVoid
    There you go - thanks!

• kaidkaid Registered User regular

Well given how the force using pilots tend to be mostly innate skill and force intuition it makes sense as he comes into the fullness of his powers that should he choose to get into a pod racer he would indeed be pretty damn good at it.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Well given how the force using pilots tend to be mostly innate skill and force intuition it makes sense as he comes into the fullness of his powers that should he choose to get into a pod racer he would indeed be pretty damn good at it.

Yeah but that doesn't require he spend skill points on it.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Question for the group:

I am going to be participating in a game called "Coriolis: The Third Horizon." It looks AWESOME, and seems to be scratching a bit of my Fading Suns itch.

The foreward mentioned that the Free League had been working on this thing for, like, a decade. Does anyone know - is this a reprint or adaptation, or is it a homebrew/local game that hit it big? The GM / guy who introduced it to me says the 1st and 2nd horizons may have been previous, other games.. but I can't find any evidence.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Question for the group:

I am going to be participating in a game called "Coriolis: The Third Horizon." It looks AWESOME, and seems to be scratching a bit of my Fading Suns itch.

The foreward mentioned that the Free League had been working on this thing for, like, a decade. Does anyone know - is this a reprint or adaptation, or is it a homebrew/local game that hit it big? The GM / guy who introduced it to me says the 1st and 2nd horizons may have been previous, other games.. but I can't find any evidence.

Free League is a Swedish company that launched into RPGs with Mutant Year Zero in 2015. The 2016 release of Coriolis is the only version that's been released commercially, but if they've been running it as a homebrew for a decade then I bet that's where the "Third Horizon" subtitle comes from.

Coriolis isn't related to anything except other Free League games, and even there it's only the core dice mechanic.

• Mahou So-soMahou So-so Registered User regular
    Ugh. So, I was just introduced to Unknown Armies by someone on discord mentioning that it had a cool mechanic where the GM tracks player HP rather than players, giving a really cool tense aspect to a horror game. So I rushed over to drivethru, because I'm a sucker for new RPG books I'll never run... only to find its broken up into three separate $15 pdfs of progressively less pages (192, then 136, then like 119).

Gross. Guess I won't be taking a look at that system any time soon.

Ugh. So, I was just introduced to Unknown Armies by someone on discord mentioning that it had a cool mechanic where the GM tracks player HP rather than players, giving a really cool tense aspect to a horror game. So I rushed over to drivethru, because I'm a sucker for new RPG books I'll never run... only to find its broken up into three separate $15 pdfs of progressively less pages (192, then 136, then like 119).

One's a player book, one's a GM book, and one's a worldbook that apparently is for both player and GM.

I guess it's only fine when WotC does that? :rotate:

• Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular

Are the older versions not available anymore? I played in a table top campaign of UA back in college and it was all in one softcover book.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

One's a player book, one's a GM book, and one's a worldbook that apparently is for both player and GM.

I guess it's only fine when WotC does that? :rotate:

Well, for one, I don't play D&D, so its not like I'm supporting WotC's model. Every game I play has a core book that covers everything. They may have splat books, and that's fine, but 3 books to even start the game? That might be ok if they were priced to reflect their content. But a 192 page book being the same as a 136 and 119 page book isn't really something I'm interested in supporting.

$15 x 3 is $45, which is about what you end up paying for most of those "all in one" core books that are about that size.

It's cheaper for people who are just going to be playing the game. They aren't required to spend the extra $30 on it.

But I mean, feel free to disagree. I'm just laying my rationalizations out against yours.

$15 x 3 is $45, which is about what you end up paying for most of those "all in one" core books that are about that size.

It's cheaper for people who are just going to be playing the game. They aren't required to spend the extra $30 on it.

But I mean, feel free to disagree. I'm just laying my rationalizations out against yours.

I wouldn't pay $45 for an all-in-one pdf though. For a physical book, sure. But if we're talking physical, then Unknown Armies comes out at $105.

admanb wrote: »
    Question for the group:

Free League is a Swedish company that launched into RPGs with Mutant Year Zero in 2015. The 2016 release of Coriolis is the only version that's been released commercially, but if they've been running it as a homebrew for a decade then I bet that's where the "Third Horizon" subtitle comes from.

Coriolis isn't related to anything except other Free League games, and even there it's only the core dice mechanic.

Gorgeous book and great lore, then, for that kind of history.

Yeah. I expect core books to be anywhere from $50-80 depending on the core book's size, when I get those all in ones.

edited July 2017

I wouldn't pay $45 for an all-in-one pdf though. For a physical book, sure. But if we're talking physical, then Unknown Armies comes out at $105.

I wasn't aware of that, that the physical books were even more. I'll agree that's pricey.

DarkPrimus on

I wasn't aware of that, that the physical books were even more. I'll agree that's pricey.

Yeah. It'd be totally different if I could pick up physical books at that price. I'd have no issue. But $45 for pdfs of a game I will likely never play and just want to read is a bit much, lol.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    UA's price put me off the new edition even though I really adore the games setting.

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    WotC's model is acceptable when you can trust that the product is going to be supported until the next edition. 3.5 and 4e both had loads of free (official) content made for it, as well as some erratas and more splats than your bookshelf has room for. The non-mechanical quality is also normally much higher than your self-published systems, featuring loads of some of the best full-color art around. It's also the most popular RPG, making it pretty easy to find a game.

I can't speak for UA, having not played or read it, but ten cents a page for a PDF is pretty steep.

My new d6s did well for their opening game. In a system where only a 6 is a hit, I think I came out ahead!

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I am FINALLY going to play some EotE, IRL in a few weeks. Super exited!

Should I buy a set of my own dice? Or just use the free rolling app on my phone? I have no idea how much dice cost these days, having plenty of d20 dice from many many moons ago. Are they expensive? Do I need more than one set for a typical gaming session?

We're playing a weekend extravaganza game, and may not play again for many months. Is it worth it to drop $$ on dice for what may be a pick-up game?

I'm inclined to use the app this time, and if the group really digs the system and we dive in for more, then I'd buy my own dice. But, I kinda like rolling real dice.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Depends on the GM. Some like to see you physically roll, and the drama of building the dice pool. Others just want the story to unfold. Ask them. :)

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    That will not be an issue. These are my buds and long time group that I'll be playing with, so they're not going to bat an eye whether I do or do not have actual dice.

This is more of me asking "I want dice...but should I go out and spend the money on unique dice if we're only ever going to play this game once or twice?"

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The answer to "should I buy dice?" is always yes.

The dice set is $15. You can also get a set with the beginner game for $30, which is usually what I recommend to people (As the mini rulebook of the beginner game is a useful thing to have around).

Denada wrote: »
    The answer to "should I buy dice?" is always yes.

I think you mean "roll to find out"