As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Honeymooning in Ireland

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
I'm getting married in November. Right now the tentative plan is 11/11. We really want to visit Ireland for our honeymoon but we aren't rich people.

We need advice for how to plan, where to visit, when and where to purchase travel tickets and accommodations, pretty much everything. We have a GoFundMe set up for this trip, since we're both grown adults and don't need people to waste their money on wedding gifts for things we'll never use.

I've been to Dublin (and Blarney Castle) like 20 years ago but she's never been, so we are pretty open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I'm getting married in November. Right now the tentative plan is 11/11. We really want to visit Ireland for our honeymoon but we aren't rich people.

We need advice for how to plan, where to visit, when and where to purchase travel tickets and accommodations, pretty much everything. We have a GoFundMe set up for this trip, since we're both grown adults and don't need people to waste their money on wedding gifts for things we'll never use.

I've been to Dublin (and Blarney Castle) like 20 years ago but she's never been, so we are pretty open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Use Norwegian (www.norwegian.com) to book your flights. Right now it's $202/person to fly to Dublin in November.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Thanks in advance!

Use Norwegian (www.norwegian.com) to book your flights. Right now it's $202/person to fly to Dublin in November.

Thanks for the tip, but we're leaving from Abilene, TX and it doesn't seem like there's a flight that leaves from any airport near us and ends up in Dublin. The closest airport looks like Austin, and flights to Ireland don't seem to go out from there.

Although I guess we could book a flight to NYC or something...

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    It's about $760 a head to fly from Dallas to Dublin and $740 from Austin; Dallas stops at O'Hare first and Austin at JFK or Dulles. Do you have family in either city that you can leave a car with while you're gone to save on parking costs?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Nah, all our family is located either in Texas, Oklahoma, or Colorado.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I mean in Austin or Dallas :P

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    My brain is not working today

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    For travel advice you're probably better off asking @That Dave Fella

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Congrats and that honeymoon sounds awesome.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Game of Thrones Wedding.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    If you're flying from Texas you will have to connect somewhere else to get to Ireland. There are no direct flights.

It depends how long you're gonna be here on what you can do. Ireland while small still takes 3-4 hours to get between the different tourist spots. There's a whole lot of stuff to do and see. Tickets wise you can buy pretty much everything online the day of or at the door for most stuff in Ireland.

I'm not too sure on accommodation but if you're coming in the winter it'll probably be reasonable enough, however Dublin (not sure about other cities) is one of the most expensive cities in Europe to visit. Hotels are hella expensive.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    If you're flying from Texas you will have to connect somewhere else to get to Ireland. There are no direct flights.

It depends how long you're gonna be here on what you can do. Ireland while small still takes 3-4 hours to get between the different tourist spots. There's a whole lot of stuff to do and see. Tickets wise you can buy pretty much everything online the day of or at the door for most stuff in Ireland.

I'm not too sure on accommodation but if you're coming in the winter it'll probably be reasonable enough, however Dublin (not sure about other cities) is one of the most expensive cities in Europe to visit. Hotels are hella expensive.

We want to be there at least a couple of weeks. What tourist spots would you recommend? We can be morning people and drive places if there's going to be a time factor.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    When I went to Ireland we stayed in Dublin and did a few things. The Jameson factory was pretty cool (if you drink). We also took a tour that started in Dublin and took us across the country to the Cliffs of Moher. We stopped at a few places in between, and spent a couple hours by the cliffs. It was pretty neat. Grafton Street is right in Dublin, and you'll be there not too long before Christmas.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Yo, I'm from and living in Dublin. I'm not great on what touristy things to do, but I can answer any specific questions you might have about the city.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    IIRC the airports that fly directly to Dublin are Orlando, Chicago, Boston and JFK, so these are your options unless you fly to a European Hub like London or Paris or Amsterdam and get a flight from there.

Compared to Texas, Ireland is about as Northern as Canada, so be prepared for the days being a bit shorter than you're used to in November, and plan accordingly.

Dublin's probably the best place to base your operation as it has decent transport links to most of the rest of the Island.

If you plan to visit Northern Ireland, remember that it's part of the UK and as such you'll need Pound Sterling instead of Euros. Right now there is no complications in moving over the border, so that's good. If you do come north, I must shill:

- The Titanic Quarter in Belfast, where she was built, along with SS Nomadic and HMS Caroline
    - Carrickfergus Castle, if you like Castles
    - The Ulster Transport Museum in Cultra has a DeLorean!
    - The Giant's Causeway, pretty out of the way and a long bus ride even from Belfast, never mind Dublin, but buses from both locations serve it reliably
    - Bushmills distillery near the Causeway, if you like booze making
    - Dunluce Castle. Much less well preserved than Carrickfergus, but in a much cooler location, an outcrop of rocks on the North Coast
    - Lough Neagh, the largest Freshwater lake in the British Isles. Can be seen from almost anywhere
    - The walls of Derry City if you like quaint European things like Walled Cities. If you do this, consider getting the train to/from Derry as the scenery from it is purdy
    - The Marble Arch Caves near Enniskillen. County Fermanagh is pretty out of the way though, so getting there without a car is a pain.
    - If you're into literature, HomePlace of Bellaghy, dedicated to Seamus Heaney. Also the village chippy is pretty good. However again without your own car it's a pain to get there.

For other bits of Ireland, you can't go wrong with a day or two in Galway City. Lovely place. And if you're in County Cork, consider Cobh, the second most Titanic-infused town on the Island