As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    So apparently there's some sort of semi-secret game called Raxxon coming out from plaid hat. Apparently to even preorder it you currently need a code given to you by someone who has already preordered. There is a How to Play on Rodney Smith's channel. It looks cool, but I am irked that they won't just let me preorder the damn thing.

Can you link the How To Play? Nothing's coming up for me when I search for it.

I do agree tho that making people jump through hoops to even give you money is the height of stupidity

Magic Pink on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Varega wrote: »
    So today, I won some store credit from a commander tournament. I bought Millenium Blades, Space Hulk: Death Angel, Spectre Ops, Samurai Spirit, Clank: sunken treasures, and Pit Stop!

Setting aside my knee-jerk revulsion at the concept of a competitive Commander event for a second... holy crap how much credit did you win?!

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    So there's this game on Steam called Sumer that's basically a side scrolling version of a Euro worker placement game. Everyone moves their guy around a multi-layered platform, assigning your 2 workers per day to collecting wheat, goats, clay, or crafting those into other things then sacrificing them to your fertility goddess for points. Inbetween rounds there are auctions for various stuff.

Here's a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d5yBFvTx6E

It's in early access right now but really the only thing left to add is multiplayer. The single player is complete and ready to play.

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    So today, I won some store credit from a commander tournament. I bought Millenium Blades, Space Hulk: Death Angel, Spectre Ops, Samurai Spirit, Clank: sunken treasures, and Pit Stop!

Initial impressions, millenium blades seems actually REALLY fun, spent most of the night doing the initial prep for the game.

Spectre Ops looks great, I love the look of the miniatures, and stealth games can be a blast.

Samurai Spirit seems a fun little tower defense game, grabbed it for some downtime at work with one of my coworkers.

Pit Stop was DIRT cheap, like 5 bucks. Havent even looked at it yet

Clank's expansion was also on sale for cheap, 15 bucks. The board looks great, the cards look fun. Gotta see how it plays out though.

Pretty happy with my haul.

That's a hll of a store credit!

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Mahou So-soMahou So-so Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So apparently there's some sort of semi-secret game called Raxxon coming out from plaid hat. Apparently to even preorder it you currently need a code given to you by someone who has already preordered. There is a How to Play on Rodney Smith's channel. It looks cool, but I am irked that they won't just let me preorder the damn thing.

Can you link the How To Play? Nothing's coming up for me when I search for it.

I do agree tho that making people jump through hoops to even give you money is the height of stupidity

@Magic Pink https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24w26Jbyb3g

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Cthulhu Wars Onslaught 3 foes up on KS today and I really don't know if I'll be able to make myself back it. Petersen Games performance and general attitude lately has been a fucking garbage fire and I'm hard pressed to even LOOK at my CW game much less play it.

first world problems etc tho I guess

I'm not sure what you're referring to. They've seemed to do pretty well from what I've seen.

There were definitely major shipping delays for OS2, but that's kind of what we sign up for with a big, manufacturing-intensive boardgame Kickstarter.

Cthulhu Wars Onslaught 3 foes up on KS today and I really don't know if I'll be able to make myself back it. Petersen Games performance and general attitude lately has been a fucking garbage fire and I'm hard pressed to even LOOK at my CW game much less play it.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. They've seemed to do pretty well from what I've seen.

There were definitely major shipping delays for OS2, but that's kind of what we sign up for with a big, manufacturing-intensive boardgame Kickstarter.

I'm not referring to shipping delays.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Any clues on what you are referring to?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Honestly if you haven't noticed an issue then you probably wouldn't consider the things in question an issue. But at the very least communication on Gods War is pretty non-existent for something that's supposed to be delivered next month and the quality of Orcs Must Die is still a huge mess. Those, plus the suspected balance issues of Onslaught 2, at the very least are things to pay attention to.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Got to play a few games of Citadels (ultimate edition/all the expansions) this weekend. Had only played the base version before. The alternate characters were fun to play with. One game we had our gfs pick which ones we were using and they basically chose by the artwork instead of what they did. That was an insane game. A very easy game to play though even while drunk, and with people who dont play many boardgames.

Highlight of last night was a friend saying "the spy kind of sucks" followed by me the very next turn stealing like 4 gold from him.

• Mahou So-soMahou So-so Registered User regular
    Woo! Got a code for Raxxon!

• VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Setting aside my knee-jerk revulsion at the concept of a competitive Commander event for a second... holy crap how much credit did you win?!

Total take home was 75 bucks, plus 5 packs of product, pulled a foil ancient tomb from it and immediately traded it in for credit.

League of Legends:Varega
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Total take home was 75 bucks, plus 5 packs of product, pulled a foil ancient tomb from it and immediately traded it in for credit.

Aha. Yeah, opening a ~$140 lottery ticket was the missing piece of the puzzle there.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    This game is utter crack. It has its own playmat which is sold out but will be mine as soon as its available.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nywr1QGWMbY

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular

Honestly if you haven't noticed an issue then you probably wouldn't consider the things in question an issue. But at the very least communication on Gods War is pretty non-existent for something that's supposed to be delivered next month and the quality of Orcs Must Die is still a huge mess. Those, plus the suspected balance issues of Onslaught 2, at the very least are things to pay attention to.

Are you perhaps referring to the way PG/the CW community in general has reacted to any criticism of the cultist models for OS3? Cuz that kinda bummed me out. A dude made some reasonably stated points about how the figures were possibly a little sexist and got shouted down.

edited July 2017
    Saurfang wrote: »

Are you perhaps referring to the way PG/the CW community in general has reacted to any criticism of the cultist models for OS3? Cuz that kinda bummed me out. A dude made some reasonably stated points about how the figures were possibly a little sexist and got shouted down.

Yeah, that's another issue. It wouldn't even be that big of deal if it wasn't the fourth time it's come up in three different games and their only reaction is to mock the issue and anyone concerned with it. What little defense they do put up for it is horribly backwards and borderline-misogynist. "My wife likes it so it's ok", "(the plastic figure) likes how she looks", "Sex sells" "stop trying to keep women clothed" etc etc. The oldest false arguments in the book.

But there's honestly even more than just that.

Magic Pink on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    This game is utter crack. It has its own playmat which is sold out but will be mine as soon as its available.
    Century: Spice Road video

Oh that does look good.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    It is good. The play mat shall also be mine.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Century spice road has been a huge hit thus far for me as well. It's been played multiple times every game night since I got it. My wife loves it. My gamer friends love it. My nieces love it. Everyone loves it.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Great for Dune jokes, too.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited July 2017
    Did anyone back Vampire Hunters? I didn't but there's some drama going on there; a sudden minor name change that has a strangely large number of backers upset and the head writer leaving the project and making posts on BGG so everyone knows anything they read in the game is not "really" from him anymore. Anyone know what's going on?

Magic Pink on
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    My friend's copy of Spirit Island arrived this weekend, and we gave it a spin tonight. Really neat co-op, tons of replayablity potential. We won at the easiest setting (literally the "if all players are new" recommended setup) just before the game was about to kick into high gear.

By that I mean: the round timer on the game is a tiered deck of 12 cards. These cards indicate on which terrain type the Invaders do each of their actions each round; first they explore, then the next round they build where they explored the previous round (and explore somewhere else), then they ravage where they built the previous round/build where they explored/explore a new type. The third and final tier each feature two terrain types instead of the usual one. We won with one tier-2 card remaining, before that card would have been revealed (during the ravage step, before the build step).

I'm eager to see how the game plays out without the optimal power load-out of the intro game. Having to select one of four randomly-drawn powers instead of just getting a specific one each time will certainly slow things down. Plus there are more complicated spirits, optional scenarios, and even more aggressive adversaries.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »

I was just bemoaning the lack of a good game of thrones game.

Inquisitor wrote: »

I'm quickly finding out that I have a real thing for CMON by now. Their minis are good quality and I plan on using them all for RPGs. This mini game is even better because I could play that game, use the minis for Frostgrave, or use them for RPGs. This whole RPG-in-a-box and trend of having games with 28mm minis is really scratching my itch.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Did anyone back Vampire Hunters? I didn't but there's some drama going on there; a sudden minor name change that has a strangely large number of backers upset and the head writer leaving the project and making posts on BGG so everyone knows anything they read in the game is not "really" from him anymore. Anyone know what's going on?

I had backed it in the first few days, but ended up withdrawing my pledge. I can't remember now if it was due to skeevy female models, or the feeling that they were over-promising, or both.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Played Dice Forge. I liked it, for a fairly simple "deckbuilder"!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    There's a new Scott Pilgrim-themed card game coming out at ComicCon, "Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Card Game." From what I've been able to read it's a deck builder style game, with customized starting decks for each of the main characters.

Does anyone else know anything about it? Details and reviews are scarce from what I can find. I'm tempted, but not entirely willing to drop the $50 that they're asking for it.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Fuck, I don't know what's kind of game that Scott Pilgrim game is going to be about, but I'm obligated to buy it when I see one now.

I'm quickly finding out that I have a real thing for CMON by now. Their minis are good quality and I plan on using them all for RPGs. This mini game is even better because I could play that game, use the minis for Frostgrave, or use them for RPGs. This whole RPG-in-a-box and trend of having games with 28mm minis is really scratching my itch.

I like a lot of their stuff but i gotta admit i'm thrilled when they announce something i have no interest in

so far that's just been blood rage, the recent asian themend one and SoIaF.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Got a learner game of Eldritch Horror to the table yesterday. Folks turned up late, so by the time the rules were all explained we only had about 2.5 hours of play, which got us probably around half way through the 2nd of 3 mysteries. An absolute sprint by our groups play!

I definitely enjoyed it, as I think did the rest of the group. A nice mix of decision making and dice rolling made for lots of FUCK YEAH moments, which I think has been missing from our selection of games. The lovecraftian flavour definitely came through for us, the mythos deck particularly was a lot of fun on that front.

I've also managed to persuade my wife to have a 2 player game at some point. It's her first big person game (i.e. not monopoly or similar) and she's not a gamer in general, so I'm a little worried it'll be information overload for her with all the stats and everything. She likes the idea of it being coop though, so hopefully that'll swing it.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Man Wizard is a pretty great game, of you like traditional card games. It's a trick game where you have to bid the # of tricks youre going to win each hand and you lose points if you're off. Couple other twists but that's the gist of it. It's been a surprise hit with my friends lately.

Ah_Pook on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Man Wizard is a pretty great game, of you like traditional card games. It's a trick game where you have to bid the # of tricks youre going to win each hand and you lose points if you're off. Couple other twists but that's the gist of it. It's been a surprise hit with my friends lately.

So Rook with theme and flavor?

4dm3dwuxq302.png

I like a lot of their stuff but i gotta admit i'm thrilled when they announce something i have no interest in

No, I totally get it. I know I'll end up backing this just like Green Horde but that means I have only one RPG In A Box (Zombicide), two skirmish/mini combat games (X-Wing and this SoIaF) with a random smattering of board games and RPGs.

RPGs are easy because I only have a few books, the rest are PDFs. If I keep this up, though, I'm going to have a budget and storage problem.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

Blood Rage is great though!

Reading more about SoIaF I'm worried it might be too light, but maybe worth getting based on the price so I cam sucker some friends into the glorious world of mini wargaming.

Inquisitor on

Blood Rage is great though!

Reading more about SoIaF I'm worried it might be too light, but maybe worth getting based on the price so I cam sucker some friends into the glorious world of mini wargaming.

i'm not saying the ones i skipped are bad, just that i wasn't interested in the theme at all

and honestly at my inventory level i have to grab on to the slightest disinterest i can manage

No, I totally get it. I know I'll end up backing this just like Green Horde but that means I have only one RPG In A Box (Zombicide), two skirmish/mini combat games (X-Wing and this SoIaF) with a random smattering of board games and RPGs.

RPGs are easy because I only have a few books, the rest are PDFs. If I keep this up, though, I'm going to have a budget and storage problem.

Why do you consider Zombicide an RPG in a box exactly? It seems a little too shallow for that.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Anyone else really disappointed with First Martians? It's got so much potential and I love the theme, but it just seems like it's filled with things that are overly complicated/fiddly or poorly explained. It feels like Robinson Crusoe is the sequel that refines this formula, rather than the other way around.

edited July 2017
    overly complicated, fiddly or poorly explained is my fetish

gimme dat game

Magic Pink on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Fuck, I don't know what's kind of game that Scott Pilgrim game is going to be about, but I'm obligated to buy it when I see one now.

That's what I said about the Ghostbusters board game, which I then never actually got a chance to play so I passed on the follow-up.

This discussion has been closed.