As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    HOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SHIT I FREAKED OUT WHEN I READ THAT TWEET I CAME RUNNING IN HERE TO SHARE

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

Congratulations guys!

Regards,
    Henry

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Waaaait a minute

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Waaaait a minute

Edit: nevermind. I was looking at the part where they were going to name other groups that didn't make it in and I got worried that that was the part of the list we were seeing. Phhheeeewwww. I mean I gotta buy the book now.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    fuckin' a

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Now that is too cool! Congrats to you guys for pestering getting it in there.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Can our home planet be "Tajar" ?

• Options
    How could you forget Warrumbungle already?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    And Talisker! Though maybe we drink to forget that one ...

• Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    That's so awesome! Thanks guys for submitting it. Now I feel obligated to get a flight jacket...

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    On the heels of that good news, some other news from BattleTechGear.
    https://battletechgear.com/
    Hey MechWarriors,

After much deliberation, Harebrained Schemes has decided not to pursue any further crowd-funding of BattleTech merchandise . For those who have been following our efforts since the holidays, you know that the response was not what we were hoping for. We have realized that this needs more effort than HBS has time for — after all, our focus needs to remain on making the BattleTech game. That said, Jordan has some other elves looking into making cool BattleTech stuff — more news on that later as it comes together.

Meanwhile: the BattleTech Steins and Solaris VII Coasters began mass production in March and we’re looking at finishing manufacturing in early July, after which the goods will travel by boat to our warehouse in the U.S. We expect to begin shipping to customers in late August or early September. Contact us here if you have any questions.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    On the heels of that good news, some other news from BattleTechGear.
    https://battletechgear.com/
    Hey MechWarriors,

After much deliberation, Harebrained Schemes has decided not to pursue any further crowd-funding of BattleTech merchandise . For those who have been following our efforts since the holidays, you know that the response was not what we were hoping for. We have realized that this needs more effort than HBS has time for — after all, our focus needs to remain on making the BattleTech game. That said, Jordan has some other elves looking into making cool BattleTech stuff — more news on that later as it comes together.

Meanwhile: the BattleTech Steins and Solaris VII Coasters began mass production in March and we’re looking at finishing manufacturing in early July, after which the goods will travel by boat to our warehouse in the U.S. We expect to begin shipping to customers in late August or early September. Contact us here if you have any questions.

Honestly, I'm not surprised and frankly I'm glad HBS is putting all its efforts into the game. I always thought the merch angle was a little half-cocked as an idea.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    I'm just glad I got the stein and coasters when I could

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Kind of regret not hopping on the coasters while they were being offered.

• Options
    Just tweeted Steph (Valravn) and I'm gonna send her my Koschei coaster to have her sign it. Fudge yeah

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2017

Our infiltration of Battletech is nearly complete

@Nips Can I pay for you to send some Oosik patches to HyperRPG

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    No need to pay me; just give me an address, and I'll make it happen.

...pretty sure I meant to do that months and months ago. Better late than never!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    man i am loving the demo

so gooooooooooood

i have decided urbanmechs and hotshot pilots are my jam

i am undefeated so far with a light lance of urbie, urbie, urbie, Victor9s, and a medium lance of urbie, urbie, jenner, Atlas (!!!)

i assume against actual players there is an easy way to deal with it, maybe hit and run tactics to avoid the big guy, but man it is fun and reliable

3 Deaths from Above on initiative 1 followed by 3 on initiative 4 kills almost anything

sig.gif
  • Options
    man i am loving the demo
    so gooooooooooood
    i am undefeated so far with a light lance of urbie, urbie, urbie, Victor9s, and a medium lance of urbie, urbie, jenner, Atlas (!!!)
    i assume against actual players there is an easy way to deal with it, maybe hit and run tactics to avoid the big guy, but man it is fun and reliable
    3 Deaths from Above on initiative 1 followed by 3 on initiative 4 kills almost anything

I'm guessing long range mechs and a spotter or two.
    Didn't pay for beta access myself, but that's what I think I'd go with to counter an urbie swarm with a Victor as backup.

Your urbies aren't going to be catching up to a catapult that decides it doesn't want to yget up close and personal, and three of those can put out a lot of LRMs.
    The Victor can match the catapult's speed and jumps, but doesn't have any long range response.
    If your urbies and the big guy manage to weather the rain alive, or hide behind cover until the LRMs run out, they'll still have a fat array of medium lasers to deal with on mechs that have managed to stay out of range while sanding your armor down.

But that's all theory crafting based on watching a couple hours of beta streaming.
    Might not work out as well in game. And, of course, it'd only be effective if I know in advance what you're bringing to the party.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    see317 wrote: »
    man i am loving the demo
    so gooooooooooood

I'm guessing long range mechs and a spotter or two.
    Didn't pay for beta access myself, but that's what I think I'd go with to counter an urbie swarm with a Victor as backup.

Your urbies aren't going to be catching up to a catapult that decides it doesn't want to yget up close and personal, and three of those can put out a lot of LRMs.
    The Victor can match the catapult's speed and jumps, but doesn't have any long range response.
    If your urbies and the big guy manage to weather the rain alive, or hide behind cover until the LRMs run out, they'll still have a fat array of medium lasers to deal with on mechs that have managed to stay out of range while sanding your armor down.

But that's all theory crafting based on watching a couple hours of beta streaming.
    Might not work out as well in game. And, of course, it'd only be effective if I know in advance what you're bringing to the party.

well that last part is true for me as well - if there are counters, then my stuff is only effective if i know in advance what you bring to the party. I've trashed long range mechs and spotters thus far by nuking the spotters.

If you had terrain or could maintain range, you might be able to use sensor lock in lieu of a spotter though.

The other thing that's interesting is that hunkering down cuts LRM damage in half, which makes them easyish to soak for a long time. Especially if you alternate with evasion.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I will say I hope they find a way to move away from C-bill cost only as a budget metric for skirmish. For campaign mode that's arguably fine because that's the real world constraint you're going to use. How much can you afford to throw at this problem? But for PvP or even PvAI skirmish, it'd be nice if they used a real BV mechanic to keep it more balanced.

e: although with plain old 3025 tech and only battlemechs, it's arguably fine since you have not only c-bills but also unit size budgets.

Tox on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I will say I hope they find a way to move away from C-bill cost only as a budget metric for skirmish. For campaign mode that's arguably fine because that's the real world constraint you're going to use. How much can you afford to throw at this problem? But for PvP or even PvAI skirmish, it'd be nice if they used a real BV mechanic to keep it more balanced.

e: although with plain old 3025 tech and only battlemechs, it's arguably fine since you have not only c-bills but also unit size budgets.

If they emulate the Mechcommander games then they'd be able to balance the campaign with a couple of factors:
    1. Max weight for the drop
    2. Max number of mechs and mechs per lance
    3. C-bills.
    4. Mech's you have been able to salvage by that point (which could be virtually nothing if a lot of mechs are getting cored)

• Options
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    That "b-roll" of campaign mode pretty well highlights my biggest problem with a lot of what's going on in a lot of these streams.

Why does that person keep putting the Shadowhawk in close range, then firing everything except the short range missiles?! Oh sure, fire the autocannon that has a minimum range, but not the actually short range weapon?

So many wtfs.

e: I think the main reason it bothers me is that a lot of streamers were specifically invited to the beta, for free, because HBS wanted the publicity, which I totally get! Those people who were selected are people who stream MWO (like theb33f). I just, honestly, genuinely do not understand why there's so much confusion about how 3025 tech works.

Tox on
  • Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Guys... it looks like the Combine threw you into a meat grinder. [D] indicates that their combat effectiveness was basically reduced to being unable to function, but at least the unit wasn't disbanded. (Taken from the Second Succession War book which just came out)

GpMIvxm.png

• Options
    TheColonel wrote: »
    Guys... it looks like the Combine threw you into a meat grinder. [D] indicates that their combat effectiveness was basically reduced to being unable to function, but at least the unit wasn't disbanded. (Taken from the Second Succession War book which just came out)

GpMIvxm.png

We don't need any help throwing ourselves into the grinder!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

GpMIvxm.png

Nowhere to go from here but up!
    Or back to the brewery.

First round's on DaMoon.

• Options
    Damnit!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

GpMIvxm.png

Sounds like we got the [D] because we defected and refused to become one of their company wage slaves. The "Questionable Loyalty" attribute they gave us makes me think they called us destroyed to save face.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Tigliss on
    l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Tigliss wrote: »

This is beyond silly at this point; the shadowhawk isn't even from robotech and the Atlas is only similair to the armored valkyrie in that is a man shaped robot.

Further Harmony hasn't actually released anything for robotech since 2006 (or 2008 if you want to include the palladium books RPG adaptation) despite their being a shit ton of Macross series they could have imported.

On top of all of that: it isn't even clear if they actually have the rights to those designs in the first place.

Just let it go Harmony. Let it go.
    setting_it_free-391053.jpg?i

Gaddez on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Gaddez wrote: »

This is beyond silly at this point; the shadowhawk isn't even from robotech and the Atlas is only similair to the armored valkyrie in that is a man shaped robot.

Further Harmony hasn't actually released anything for robotech since 2006 (or 2008 if you want to include the palladium books RPG adaptation) despite their being a shit ton of Macross series they could have imported.

On top of all of that: it isn't even clear if they actually have the rights to those designs in the first place.

Considering HG's owner was convicted (won't be doing time though) in Italy of breaking tax laws as a result of an ongoing investigation into Silvio Berluscioni's government, I wouldn't ever expect him to play nice or do the right thing.

Their suit also includes complaints against PGI that MWO's Rifleman, Phoenixhawk, and Warhammer are still too close. Speculation on r/Outreach was that bringing HBS and In Medias Res (Catalyst Game Labs is IMR's tradename) with the ludicrous Shadowhawk/Spartan, Atlas/Armored Valk, and Locust/Marauder comparisons is just a longshot poke at companies with lesser legal representation in the hopes it'll give them more ammo for their case against PGI.

And wow, that article gets things grossly incorrect regarding the history of this issue. For one thing, the anime series were almost entirely unrelated, for another Battletech was in production before HG's localization mash-up was named Robotech. Also, Battletech licensed the mech designs from a company called Twentieth Century Imports, which was one of several toy/model manufacturers who had acquired licensing rights for a small set of mecha shows. Interestingly, HG didn't even come up with the name Robotech; that came from another of the licensed merchandise manufacturers named Revell who was actually producing stuff for the line before either FASA or HG were. Revell had even gotten DC to publish a two-issue miniseries before HG approached them with an offer to partner up, which was when HG adopted the Robotech name. Hell, to give an even better example of what a mess it was, Hasbro had even licensed one of the best Japanese toys for Macross at the time & put it into production as the original Jetfire figure (note that they redesigned his appearance in the cartoon, though).
    • TCI had Crusher Joe, Dougram, Macross, and possibly others
    • Revell had Dougram, Macross, and Orguss
    • HG had Macross, Mospeada, and Southern Cross
    • Hasbro had the Super Valkyrie from Macross

It basically all comes down to a vast misunderstanding between the three Japanese companies behind the original Macross TV series (the creators Studio Nue, the financiers Big West, and the production company Tatsunoko) on who could license what, ambiguity over whether TCI's merch license would cover the way FASA was using the designs, and HG insisting on the broadest possible interpretation of their vaguely worded contract with Tatsunoko. Also, I guess Dougram's owners (Sunrise) just didn't give a shit as long as they were getting paid (that or maybe Revell also went through TCI)?

The question in a modern court hearing will be, does the Japanese court ruling that all IP rights for Macross have reverted to Studio Nue invalidate HG's contract with Tatsunoko, who was given ownership of the original series' footage and its international distribution rights? I mean there's no sane way to believe Tatsunoko's rights would allow them to license HG to everything they claim they have (basically everything for the entire IP outside Japan), but strictly reading it as power over the use or merchandising of things from the original series might still be valid.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I know I'm not the biggest Battletech fan, but I think I can safely speak for everyone in this case with a hearty "Fuck you, Harmony Gold!"

• Options

I'm almost wondering if this isn't actually a brilliant move disguised as idiocy on the part of HG (or, more likely, their lawyers).
    They put up these pictures saying "See? The Locust is clearly based on our Glaug pod!", then wait for PGI (or maybe just the screaming hordes of the internet) to go "No you idiots! The Locust is based on a completely different IP! It's clearly the Marauder that's based on the Glaug pod!".
    Then HG has a statement clearly saying that PGI is using HGs IP for something, and since the courts aren't likely to be up to date on their 80s giant robot anime maybe that's enough to tip a case in their favor?

I'm not a lawyer, obviously, but would that possibly work?

• Options
    That, or it's an absurd thing they can negotiate away in a settlement to appear to be comprising while holding out for all the stuff they actually want.

After all, when they tried to go after Hasbro for that early 2000's special edition Jetfire that was almost exactly Hikaru Ichijo's Super Valkyrie, they not only wanted punitive damages and a halt to production, they wanted a full recall of all copies already sold. Of course, that didn't work out so well for them (settled with prejudice, both parties paid their own legal fees, at most Hasbro agreed to not extend the production run beyond their original plans nor reissue the mold).

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Considering HG's owner was convicted (won't be doing time though) in Italy of breaking tax laws as a result of an ongoing investigation into Silvio Berluscioni's government, I wouldn't ever expect him to play nice or do the right thing.

Their suit also includes complaints against PGI that MWO's Rifleman, Phoenixhawk, and Warhammer are still too close. Speculation on r/Outreach was that bringing HBS and In Medias Res (Catalyst Game Labs is IMR's tradename) with the ludicrous Shadowhawk/Spartan, Atlas/Armored Valk, and Locust/Marauder comparisons is just a longshot poke at companies with lesser legal representation in the hopes it'll give them more ammo for their case against PGI.

And wow, that article gets things grossly incorrect regarding the history of this issue. For one thing, the anime series were almost entirely unrelated, for another Battletech was in production before HG's localization mash-up was named Robotech. Also, Battletech licensed the mech designs from a company called Twentieth Century Imports, which was one of several toy/model manufacturers who had acquired licensing rights for a small set of mecha shows. Interestingly, HG didn't even come up with the name Robotech; that came from another of the licensed merchandise manufacturers named Revell who was actually producing stuff for the line before either FASA or HG were. Revell had even gotten DC to publish a two-issue miniseries before HG approached them with an offer to partner up, which was when HG adopted the Robotech name. Hell, to give an even better example of what a mess it was, Hasbro had even licensed one of the best Japanese toys for Macross at the time & put it into production as the original Jetfire figure (note that they redesigned his appearance in the cartoon, though).
    • TCI had Crusher Joe, Dougram, Macross, and possibly others
    • Revell had Dougram, Macross, and Orguss
    • HG had Macross, Mospeada, and Southern Cross
    • Hasbro had the Super Valkyrie from Macross

It basically all comes down to a vast misunderstanding between the three Japanese companies behind the original Macross TV series (the creators Studio Nue, the financiers Big West, and the production company Tatsunoko) on who could license what, ambiguity over whether TCI's merch license would cover the way FASA was using the designs, and HG insisting on the broadest possible interpretation of their vaguely worded contract with Tatsunoko. Also, I guess Dougram's owners (Sunrise) just didn't give a shit as long as they were getting paid (that or maybe Revell also went through TCI)?

The question in a modern court hearing will be, does the Japanese court ruling that all IP rights for Macross have reverted to Studio Nue invalidate HG's contract with Tatsunoko, who was given ownership of the original series' footage and its international distribution rights? I mean there's no sane way to believe Tatsunoko's rights would allow them to license HG to everything they claim they have (basically everything for the entire IP outside Japan), but strictly reading it as power over the use or merchandising of things from the original series might still be valid.

This is the first time I've heard some of what you posted. I knew the licensing issues with different toy manufacturers and such, but never the Robotech name itself. That is very interesting. You know, after reading the new information you posted here and what I already knew about the crazy ownership story of the toys/cartoons/etc. it really makes me want to give PGI some more money in hopes that it will help them take this to court and settle the whole thing for once and for all. Especially since Japan seemed to finally decide on the ownership of Macross. It would be nice as a fan of both to see HG only get the rights to the Robotech name and nothing else. Meanwhile the rest (Macross, etc.) become rights of the Japanese companies which will hopefully allow Battletech to use the likeness and Macross shows to finally be able to come over the pond.

But yeah, I've gotten to the point now as a Battletech fan, Macross fan and Robotech fan that the status quo stands where I'll never get to see Battletech have the unseen, new Macross shows showing up here legally and Robotech being what it is. Being a legal cash cow for Agrama's family.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

But yeah, I've gotten to the point now as a Battletech fan, Macross fan and Robotech fan that the status quo stands where I'll never get to see Battletech have the unseen, new Macross shows showing up here legally and Robotech being what it is. Being a legal cash cow for Agrama's family.

Now that is sad but true. I'm sure that adding Sony (with the live action movie) into the mix is totally going to help.

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Betsuni wrote: »

Now that is sad but true. I'm sure that adding Sony (with the live action movie) into the mix is totally going to help.

Yeah I'll be torn if it ever gets made. One hand I will want to see the giant mechs on the big screen, on the other hand just giving more money to keep the Harmony Gold train motoring along.

Edit: Sorry to keep this derailment going. To put this back on track did anybody else see the post by @DaMoonRulz about the new BattleTech book in the MWO thread?

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    It's a cool idea; I'm surprised they haven't done it before now. I mean, I can think of a couple films that use a similar concept (anthology of stories tracing an object as it passes between owners).

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    It's a cool idea; I'm surprised they haven't done it before now. I mean, I can think of a couple films that use a similar concept (anthology of stories tracing an object as it passes between owners).

I'm hoping it will be like the Millennium Falcon book I read a while ago. Also adding in some neat background story on the trials and testing of the Grasshopper.

oosik_betsuni.png