As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] The Colorless - Finale: A Full Palette

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Day 8 has ended.

All votes and actions at x:59 or earlier will count; any at x:00 or later will not. Gonna try to get the narration up in the usual half hour, but it might be a little bit late.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Good job guys.

• Options
    corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    <please please let the game be over......

• Options
    At least I'll die a pretty colour.
    I'm sorry I didn't go full rainbow.

• Options
    corvidae wrote: »

Nope
    I'm dying village.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »

Nope
    I'm dying village.

notice that i didn't mention victory, or defeat, just finality.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Then it comes down to chamberlain. If he dies village, we've lost. If he dies mafia, we'll probably get one more day.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Oh wait.
    We both died.
    Nah you're good.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Not hitting the guard and seer the whole game was frustrating

discrider on
  • Options
    I'm still dying pretty colours

• Options
    edited July 2017
    what guard?

as far as we know, never had one.

corvidae on
  • Options
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Day 3: Unfinished Work

It had been a good day for AustinP0027. Unlike the last time, he was able to follow through with his plans and capture a suspect in the recent incidents in Plenair District. Surely, the city's guards would be able to get information out of Auralynx to lead to the stemming of the Paling. Of course, the guards made a capture themselves, tracking down JPants. AustinP0027 would have to do more work tomorrow to keep up the pace. But the day's activities were surprisingly tiring. Perhaps some rest would do him good. Unfortunately for him, the invaders saw that his rest would be a long one.

Eliminated Players
    Auralynx
    AustinP0027
    JPants

MagicPrime has asked to withdraw, and kime will be brought in as a replacement.

Day 3 closes Thursday, July 13, 10PM PDT / Friday, July 14, 1AM EDT / 5AM UTC.
    I may not be around for the day close tomorrow, and results may be delayed as well.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Oh well.
    Perhaps we should have shot you then
    Sounded like Austin was blocked day 1

discrider on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Finale: A Full Palette

Accusations flew about the city in the search for the Colorless invaders. So many people had a shady look about them, it was difficult to trust anyone. The city guard took extra measures to try and alleviate the situation, capturing both chamberlain and discrider. The city braced for another night of fear, each citizen afraid that it would be their last. And in the morning... nothing. No myterious deaths. No additional Paleness on the faces of those in the city. This continued the next day, and then the next. It seemed that somehow, against all odds, the threat had been quelled. Soon, vibrancy returned to the Pale, excepting those that were never Pale in the first place. The citizens of Ciela breathed a collective sigh of relief and returned to their peaceful days. All of those Saturated taken in by the city guard returned to their old lives... including one new citizen burning to use his newfound power to exact justice against those that gave him his lot in life...

Eliminated Players
    chamberlain
    discrider

All Colorless have been eliminated, resulting in a victory for the Saturated citizenry!

I don't have host notes prepared quite yet, but I'll dump what I can in a bit. Let's just say I was caught a little off guard at the ending. But for starters, I want to say thank you to everyone who participated in this game, and I also want to apologize for how confusing it must have been for most of you.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Cythraul wrote: »
    OoOoOoOoooooOooOOoOOoOoO

4ea.jpg

OoOoOoOoooooOooOOoOOoOoO

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    draft
    Oh well.
    Perhaps we should have shot you then
    Sounded like Austin was blocked day 1

Austin pm'ed me day 1 he was going for Preda. I think he missed because mafia went first in order of ops.

I was the seer. My first time, and the Vig gets in touch day 1. Man, if you guys hadn't ganked him day 2. Or not, considering everyone I ever seered turned out to be a villager. :P

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Congrats village!

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Unlock!

Steam
  • Options
    I feel the deep need to read that.

Steam
  • Options
    Master Spreadsheet

Role PMs
    You are a Saturated!

Within the walls of Ciela, your life has been prosperous and easy. However, the recent incidents of people becoming Pale has put you on your guard. What could be causing this to happen? No doubt, this is the work of those outsiders, the Colorless. They must be trying to throw the city into chaos and destroy the peace for everyone. You know it is everyone's duty to make sure that Ciela remains a peaceful place. It's time to take action and teach those invaders a lesson!

Win Condition: Eliminate all of the Colorless hiding among you!

Special Abilities

(AustinP0027)
    You are a Bounty Hunter! You're well trained in weapons and martial arts, and aren't afraid to use those skills in the service of the city. Unfortunately, there aren't many others out there who have been willing to recognize your skills. Perhaps this is a good time to build up that resume and put your name on the map...

Ability: Once per day, you can target one person to capture and present them to the city guard. That player will be eliminated from the game. Select your target as a reply to this role PM.

(H3Knuckles)
    You are a Psychologist! While most people would judge others by their looks, you know better than that. It's what is under the surface that determines a person's nature. Only a keen eye like yours is trained to identify friend from foe, and pick out the Colorless threat walking among the citizenry.

Ability: Choose one person each day to follow and analyze. You will learn whether they are aligned with the Saturated citizens of Ciela, or the Colorless outside the city walls. Select your target as a reply to this role PM.

You are a Colorless!

Life outside of the city of Ciela has been hard, and having to see the sprawling walls of the city every day has been a constant reminder of what you are missing out on. Up until now, you've only been able to stare longingly at the city, wishing for what could be. But since that mysterious wizard granted you and your friends the ability to draw the Hue out of others and imbue it upon yourselves, you've thought up a scheme to change your way of life. The plan is simple: enter the city, select a small group of Saturated to target, and then use their Hue to become citizens of Ciela. You don't need to eliminate everyone, just enough people to get you and your pals enough Hue to blend in and leave no witnesses. No problem, right?

Your group is composed of the following members: chamberlain, discrider, Mikey CTS, Zombie Hero

Ability: As a group, you may target one person and completely drain their Hue. You will also select one member of your group to be the recipient of the Hue. The player targeted will be eliminated from the game.

If there are at least two of your group active, you may also target one more person to perform a weaker drain of Hue. The Hue gained through this manner will not be significant enough for a recipient to matter, but it will turn the target Pale.

One player from the group should send in the group's orders as a reply to this role PM. If no recipient of Hue is specified, it will be assumed that the sender of the orders will receive the Hue.

Win Condition: You will win if the number of active players in your group is equal to or greater than the number of players outside of your group.

Hidden Colorless Abilities

At one level of Hue absorption, an eliminated Colorless would appear as Pale. At two levels of Hue absorption, an eliminated Colorless would appear as Saturated.
    A Colorless at two levels of Hue could use up their Hue stores to change the weaker drain into a kill if the ability was targeted on someone who was already Pale.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Unlocked

• Options
    Reading that master spreadsheet is already making a lot of things click. Or it's the remnants of my brain rattling around.

Either way.

Steam
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    btw, the network conducted everything via pm.

h3knuckles was the seer. I was a vanillager.

at the largest point, we had me, h3k, virgil, kime, cythraul as confirmed loyal.

have my hands full atm, will post more thoughts tomorrow.

corvidae on
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure you would have seen me as loyal too, if you had seen me.

• Options
    Brief Host Notes

I came up with the idea for this game in the waning days where the color functionality of the forums was still not in operation. I wanted to run a game where color was important in a different way than the usual static set of colors for roles and alignment. I ended up on a theme where those without color wanted to drain color from those that had color, and here we are. It's kind of funny that my last few games have been all about uncertainty in knowledge gained from the vote results.

In terms of design, I knew that I wanted the mafia to gradually be able to saturate themselves while desaturating the village. To keep things simple and make the color drain matter, I kept the saturation at two levels, though I did consider three levels at a point. Since alignment hiding is such a powerful ability, I left the mafia somewhat weak. I also made the game low-powered in general, giving the village only a vigilante and a (true) seer. In hindsight, the design of the game lent itself to an outcome that would have probably been really swingy. If the seer was taken out early in the game, then the village might not have enough time to put together enough pieces to pick up on mafia characteristics and tells. On the other hand, the long game length as experienced in actuality would be a major deficit to the mafia team. I suppose I'll just call this an interesting experiment and leave it at that.

Anyways, I want to thank everyone who played, as well as apologize for the amount of obscurity borne by the game's mechanics. I didn't really anticipate the game ending up so confusion due to the information mechanics. If it's any consolation, however, I do think I need to get back to having a game with more standard information reveals on elimination. It's been a very long time since I've gone in that direction.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    we... we won? YAAAAAAAY!
    thanks for hosting, MrBlarney.

i feel like as a vanillager, this game was less interactive than usual.
    all i had to go on was death information (which was incredibly minimal)
    and vote history (which, without death information, revealed... almost nothing?)

• Options
    It was a hilarious ride of uncertainty in anything!
    In retrospect seeing how the roles were made I can say I like it, just was 100% not expecting it. We got a little lucky in that we ended up with a decently large network, getting the result back on kime is where things started(?) to click because of how it was worded, (under [player's] saturated exterior, is a citizen loyal to Ciela) but man. Never would have guessed how those mechanics worked, just had to run with loyalty. You're a tricksy one Blarney :redface:

I had fun even when I was frustrated. Thanks for running this!

Steam
  • Options

Nah, My seer results always reported two attributes: colorfulness, and loyalty to Ciela. That's how we figured out pale!=mafia. kime was seered as pale/loyal, which clued me in why Blarney was giving the double attributes in my results. Also, reaching out to kime was how we learned that people who were pale weren't informed of the effect.

Now you all see why I was so eager to dodge the bullet when I kept getting nearly voted out days 1-3.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Eh.
    "On the surface" is in my saturated transformation as well.
    Should have shot you guys the prev day then
    My bad, I chickened out.
    "The extra infusion of Hue makes you feel whole. Anyone looking at you on the surface would mistake you for a natural Cielan."

I misplayed.
    How about we start over.

discrider on
  • Options
    if you go back to my (mouthpiece) seer reveal, the quote was "beneath the saturated/pale surface" is a citizen loyal.......

• Options
    if you go back to my (mouthpiece) seer reveal, the quote was "beneath the saturated/pale surface" is a citizen loyal.......

Yeah, saw that. Thought fully coloured was still able to fool it.

• Options
    At least I don't have to suffer another day of being forced inactive by life

• Options
    Thanks for running it @MrBlarney

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Ha..
    I should rerun this immediately

• Options
    Let's respond to some posts!
    As noted in the discussion and hints, this wouldn't have been the case. The analysis result would have been "You've determined that despite discrider's Saturated exterior, there is a Colorless invader." Even the mafia had to be careful of my tricks.
    Lucedes wrote: »
    i feel like as a vanillager, this game was less interactive than usual.
    all i had to go on was death information (which was incredibly minimal)
    and vote history (which, without death information, revealed... almost nothing?)
    Sorry about that! I did say that I wanted to run something that was toned down compared to what I am usually known for. I unfortunately did not calibrate just how much obfuscation would occur with the two-step saturation system, I thought that there would be a little bit more solid information for unnetworked villagers to go off of. I was happy to see that there was some discussion and debate over the game mechanics, though. It was interesting to see how on-track the conversation got at times. The village handled the incomplete public information pretty well, I'd say.
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Also, reaching out to kime was how we learned that people who were pale weren't informed of the effect.
    Oh, yeah. Thematically, you'd expect Pale people to realize that they had lost energy and vitality, right? But that'd probably end up giving one of the mafia's advantages away. It did have to be clarified that the target would not be informed. In the game universe, I guess that could be attributed to a rider effect on the drain that would prevent the target's awareness of their condition? Or maybe the people of Ciela are simply not that self-aware in general...

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    For instance, you were pale H3 despite being the seer

discrider on
  • Options
    Honestly, the part I'm most proud of is how corvidae, LostNinja, and I timed our vote switches at the end so that discrider helped us get the win because he didn't have enough time to switch off chamberlain.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Honestly, the part I'm most proud of is how corvidae, LostNinja, and I timed our vote switches at the end so that discrider helped us get the win because he didn't have enough time to switch off chamberlain.

Objection: I don’t know a discrided.

Also we were screwed

Now that I know the full mechanics, we were never going to win without shooting H3, as we could mostly only keep up with the seer clearing people.

As we didn't, and had instead paled H3, unless we hue-sploded H3, we were never going to target H3.

So although the shenanigans were commendable in shortening the game, it was unlikely and probably impossible for us to win at that point.

discrider on