As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] The Colorless - Finale: A Full Palette

1131415161719»

• Options
    corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    not necessarily. it was a crapshoot at the end. we had 4 uncleared people, and we knew at least one, but prob two were mafia. since we couldn't rely on voting records, it was a total gut-feel about who was shadiest. It was very nearly lucedes/chamberlain for the final vote.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    @Gizzy sorry for doubting you.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    @Gizzy I never doubted you.
    These guys murdered you.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    @discrider, sticking up for gizzy is what got her, and then you killed!

also, @gizzy, i prob deserve a grudge vote from you. :/

corvidae on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    She was super innocent though.
    Would've defended her as village.

discrider on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    she plays phalla with her husband. her heart was going to get broken one way or another.
    i do wish you nothing but the best in life, Mrs Zombie Hero.
    My SO backstabbed me once in a game of Cosmic Encounter, costing us a mutual victory, and going for a victory with another player. I was so proud and happy

corvidae on
  • Options
    I've tried convincing mine to play this, but she just wants to vote me off day 1 all the time and not actually play.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Good morning everyone, and yay us!

Thank you @MrBlarney for running my first game in over 4 years (!!)

Some notes:

It's been a while, but I'm glad to know I'm not too too rusty! :biggrin:

@discrider : I had you pegged since day 2, you fucker! :biggrin: . Voting for Zombie Hero when Gizzy outed him was a smart move on your part. Had I survived the next day that would have thrown me for a loop.

Speaking of Gizzy and Zombie Hero: @Cythraul : dude, you (and, thus, the network) doubting Gizzy's claims confused the hell out of me. When Gizzy outed ZH, the only possible conclusion was that she was either telling the truth, or leveraging her personal relationship with ZH to fuck with the village. I consider the latter to be super not-cool in games like this. I don't know Gizzy myself, but I know these forums, and I know such unsportsmanlike behavior would not stand here at PA. Glad to know I was proven right!

Finally, to MrBlarney: I know you've already addressed this, but I just want to echo that yeah, any mechanic that takes information away from the village (i.e. death not reliably revealing the roles of the dead) is super hard to balance. The village worked it out this time, but had the mafia gotten lucky and killed H3Knuckles early, the village would have had nothing to go on. Ah well, learning experience!

For those of you who don't know me and have some time to go down the nostalgia hole, here's a bit of my Phalla history.

I'm an old-timer here, been part of the forums since 2005. I've never been hugely active, but I love this community and consider it my internet home.

I've only ever run one Phalla, PhallaMan Zero, which you can check out here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/83534

Some of my other favorites include

Six Phalla Samurai (epic ending featuring yours truly)
    Phalla Royale (another amazing Mr. Blarney production. Almost won this one, if it wasn't for that pesky lone wolf!)
    Death Note (I didn't play a big role in this one, but I did do a bit of RP in it, which was fun)

Anyways, it's good to be back! I had to quit a while back because of job demands and new fatherhood, but the bambino's not as dependent on me anymore, and my job now allows me a bit of sneaking away time, so, I thought I'd come dip my toes in for a bit!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Nah.
    @Romantic Undead , you just haven't killed me enough times as a villager yet.

See corv's: you got killed because you defended a villager as you would have if you were a villager.
    Suspect PM plans aside of course, laid cause I thought I was coloured and unseeable.

discrider on
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Well as usual super clueless to how big the network was by the end of the game. But didn't die and didn't cow to village pressure to kill Gizzy cuz none of that made any sense that way. Good times all around, thanks for running it MrB

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    So who all were mafia?

Discrider
    Chamberlain
    ZH
    ???
    ???

I was actually pretty suspicious when our "seer" made a vague not seer call on Gizzy.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles, easily mvp, kept seering and stayed alive.
    Didn't scare away their network, despite never seering a baddie, and despite zero role confirmation in narration

I feel good with my Mikey & Chamberlain votes.
    Apologizes to that one vote on Segatai, and for the dumb pm about being a neutral (or was that the pm I claimed village idiot)
    Anyways, that was a fun game to write about.
    Ran out of steam near the end, and was content with regular posting.

Glad to see Commissioner Virgil help solve the case.
    Borrowed a bunch from Phillip Marlowe

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    corvidae wrote: »
    not necessarily. it was a crapshoot at the end. we had 4 uncleared people, and we knew at least one, but prob two were mafia. since we couldn't rely on voting records, it was a total gut-feel about who was shadiest. It was very nearly lucedes/chamberlain for the final vote.

Half the town was networked that last day.
    Our only hope was if we somehow managed to both avoid the vote and so get off our second kill.
    And hit H3 (who we would have targeted [see shenanigan orders on mafia proboard]).

In that scenario, best case, we go from 4 network, 2 mafia, 2 not cleared, to 2 network, 2 mafia, 1 not cleared (or a maf win if we really really stretch things and say that you tied both villagers).
    In that best case, we likely suffer a mafia loss the next day just to odds (or having to shenanigan), leaving 1 network, 1 not cleared, 1 mafia.
    Network revealed the previous day probably, leaving no chance of last mafia slipping the net.
    Mafia is outed, we lose.

We did not have the best case scenario; I think chamberlain was always being threatened that last day.
    So we don't get our second kill, and we then have 4 network, 1 maf, 1 not cleared, as H3 is not eliminated.

If H3 is eliminated, we wind up with 3 network, 1 maf, 2 not cleared, which is still not really winnable.
    Being last man standing is some steep odds against a network who can just demand you vote for each other.
    As it stood, one of the not cleared would have had to have been SeGaTai who had voted for a colorless (? thought we gave him hue, but must have acted before the kill that got rid of it) chamberlain first.
    SeGa's probably going to be the last person voted off by the network in that circumstance.

If I had not misread the colour mechanic in my own PM, then things have been marginally different.
    We may have killed H3 on the penultimate night (kime would've died a day earlier).
    Still likely too little too late, but maybe not impossible.

What would have changed things is Mikey not dying.
    Not exactly sure where that train came from.
    I thought chamberlain was going to be first outed.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    LostNinja wrote: »
    So who all were mafia?

Discrider
    Chamberlain
    ZH
    ???
    ???

I was actually pretty suspicious when our "seer" made a vague not seer call on Gizzy.

Mikey CTS
    Or read the board!: http://huehuehuehue.freeforums.net/board/1/general-discussion
    Master Spreadsheet for completeness (mafia board is more entertaining though): https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mqm9abgdgwh54l/PA-CF-Colorless-Master.xlsx?dl=0

discrider on
  • Options
    H3Knuckles, easily mvp, kept seering and stayed alive.

:/

I should probably have looked that gift horse harder in the mouth.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Yay village :p

Man I was so wrong about discrider, his vote on ZH threw me.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    And I was right that something was going on with H3! I'm surprised mafia didn't pick up on it with my detailed analysis on everyone - but I did try to leave out thoughts on who was special.

GizzyGizzy July 15
    Just an aside - I think I'm still suspicious of H3 knuckles. Or he's a special.
    38thDoe38thDoe July 15
    He sure is chatty.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    The problem is, if I asked the thread 'hey whats up with H3' the response would've been 'hey whats up with your face' and I would've been voted out for day 1 shenanigans.

So instead, I said nothing, we Paled H3 because he was acting suspect, and we went about our business.

Edit: I mean day 2.
    Day 1 I somehow thought I could swing the vote when no-one was awake. Me being dumb.

discrider on
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    I thought it was weird that certain people keep voting in a block. There was literally no reason for a bandwagon to form on me, and yet. With a network that large we never stood a chance. Probably could have called this the night I was hung out to dry.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    @Romantic Undead I wasn't networked for the first 5-6 days, that was mostly me and my own paranoia. I was just a vanillager trying to figure out why dead mafia would come up looking like us. When I was brought in H3 was about to seer Gizzy but instead chose to look at kime, so we then saw paleness was not a good indicator of mafianess. It wasn't an unreasonable standpoint that Gizzy could have made up that info, or that ZH was just trying to throw her. I can say that I'm kinda glad MY s.o. doesn't play this, because she'd be pulling crap on me like that all the time :|

Sorry for doubting ya @Gizzy but I meant none of it to come across as personal. @discrider certainly helped sow seeds of doubt, despite me never trusting him :P

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting @MrBlarney !

I had no idea how we were going to make it out of the last day...

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Wow H3, you were the seer? I thought for sure this game would end with you mafia, which is why I died the day after we connected. Completely surprised here. I had this post in my head prepared to talk about how I've realized my game style is to take a lot of risks and that it blew up in my face, only, it didn't. So...change nothing!

Also, from the mafia board about me getting killed....
    But seriously, Austin talked about the pale spreading whilst people are still alive, which is either perceptive or from in-game seer knowledge.

The phrase you're looking for is dumb luck speculation. I literally had nothing I was going off of, and was tossing that out to make sure I got 2 posts in for the day in case a vote post didn't count.

So yeah, died because it looked like I knew something when I knew nothing! If H3 and I could have been connected from the start this would have been a fun game (for me at least).

Also, because I had so much time, I went back through previous games and realized I've finally closed out my Phalla Bingo card with this Vig role. That was the last vanilla role I had yet to play.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oh, and also, thanks for hosting @MrBlarney !

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    So who all were mafia?

Discrider
    Chamberlain
    ZH
    ???
    ???

Mikey CTS
    Or read the board!: http://huehuehuehue.freeforums.net/board/1/general-discussion
    Master Spreadsheet for completeness (mafia board is more entertaining though): https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mqm9abgdgwh54l/PA-CF-Colorless-Master.xlsx?dl=0

Going to read the pro board later, but didn't have time to reset my password (because I forget what it actually is for that site) while getting ready for work.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    My last minute vote on the second to last day was not a ploy. I had a fallen asleep, dreamed that there was something I needed to do, then woke up and got my vote in with less than a minute to spare.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Thanks for running Blarney!

Good job Knuckles, you did great!

I can't believe you all went for the tie vote. That is soooo risky for the village to try :lol:. I'd never have agreed :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    kime wrote: »
    Thanks for running Blarney!

Good job Knuckles, you did great!

I can't believe you all went for the tie vote. That is soooo risky for the village to try :lol:. I'd never have agreed :P

I think it was just frustration at still being so blind and being ready for it to end. Might as well go out in a blaze of glory.

The weird thing was that I guess Discrider was suggesting it in pms to corvidae (before he was a target), at the same time I was floating the idea in the network pm.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Thanks for running a game MrB! Sad that I got taken out so fast (and for no reason?) but it probably worked out for the best since I had a busy weekend.

Can't wait for the next game!

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Thanks for running @MrBlarney !

Also, @Brody is totally getting a grudge vote next game.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Thanks for Running Blarney

• Options
    edited July 2017
    JPants wrote: »
    Thanks for running a game MrB! Sad that I got taken out so fast (and for no reason?) but it probably worked out for the best since I had a busy weekend.

Can't wait for the next game!

Day 2 looked much like an extended day 1 this game.
    Wide spread of few votes, that then collapsed into a few front runners.

Funny thing is, I probably wouldn't have been pushed into the lead if it had not been for the dodgy vote count making it look like the push on H3 was a counterpush to my wagon.

discrider on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Did I ever post this song?

Everyday, for this game, I would go home from work.
    Load up this song, and read the thread.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

@Virgil_Leads_You There... doesn't seem to be a song in your post?

Edit: plugin was blocking it.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I see it clearly. It's a vimeo video.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Hmm looks like I owe Segatai an apology for trying to have you killed.
    I'll make it up to you by actually getting you killed next time!

Can someone who was a villager campaigning for Gizzy to die walk me through that?
    I was worried that we were going to lose when everyone clammed up last few days.

Thanks for running @MrBlarney
    Have you run many low information results games before Undertale?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I'm sure I did something to deserve it

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I think you've betrayed me or killed me on four non consecutive occasions.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Thanks for running MrBlarney
    Have you run many low information results games before Undertale?
    Not really. I guess the games in the Set Phalla series under that umbrella. My usual MO is having games with a lot of possible abilities and actions (often battle mechanic games) but fairly precise information in results. Unspecified action sources tends to be the usual amount of obfuscation, but that's normal in most games. So I suppose when I do end up going with games where there are less things for individuals to do in terms of private actions, the design ends up hiding things publicly so that players can form discussions around that kind of coordination instead. That's an interesting insight into how I think about Phalla, if that analysis holds up. It's been a while since I've run larger games, so it's hard to remember, haha.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    kime wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I see it clearly. It's a vimeo video.

Buh, scriptsafe was preventing it from loading. Thanks.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png