As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Community Resources (Wiki, GroupMe, Discord)

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
edited September 2017 in PAX General Discussion
Introduction

Since launching the wiki at the end of 2011, the paxcommunity.net site has grown as a community resource. Thanks to the help of some dedicated contributors, the wiki has a growing wealth of PAX information. However, paxcommunity.net is a portal site that contains more resources than just the wiki. This thread is here to familiarize you with all the features of the community portal.

If you have any questions about how to use any of the features, please PM @Zerzhul
Common issues/questions will get posted to this thread.

It's worth reiterating here that all of these resources are unofficial, community-run resources. Penny Arcade/Reed Expo have no connection with paxcommunity.net nor the resources contained within. We will NEVER put any ads or revenue generating items on the paxcommunity site.

219px-Community_crest_4PAX.PNG

Table of Contents

zerzhul on

• Options
    edited September 2017
    The Wiki (top)

As some have realized via targeted topic wikis in the past, the forums are not a good method to archive or detail a significant information about PAX. On-topic threads can cover a lot of things but inevitably information gets lost as time moves on. This has prompted a group of folks (including some that worked on the Hitchhiker's Guide to PAX East wiki) to create a general community wiki project to house collective PAX knowledge.

It is now open to the PAX Forum community at large for absorbing and creating content.

When reading the wiki, if there's an absence of a page that you think should be there, and you want to write it, use the application to sign up for an account and create it.

When writing for the wiki, use an available boilerplate so that common article types stay stylistically similar. If there's a boilerplate category that doesn't exist yet, create a stub for it from the default if you know how, and if you don't, ask. Try to be as informative as possible without being too subjective. Perfect objectivity isn't expected, but it should be a goal of every article to be a knowledge base and not a guide. Obviously all the articles are slanted in a PAX perspective. A decent way to think of this is: is this an "about" article? or a "how-to" article?. Try to stick to "about" as much as possible.

If you want to contribute to the PAX Community Wiki Project, read the front page of the wiki for the application link.

If you have any technical problems with the wiki, contact @Zerzhul via PM. If certain issues become common, They will be posted here.

The global MediaWiki user's guide resides here.

There exists a Sandbox page with which to try out things before posting them to a specific page.

Useful Links

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    IRC (top)

Previously relegated to its own thread, IRC information is now available on the PAXcommunity.net IRC page. There is also a wiki page dedicated to more robust information on how to get connected and authorized.

IMPORTANT: Some cell providers (such as Verizon) block SlashNET (and many other IRC networks) via non-wifi data connections (3g, 4g, edge, etc). Please read the bnc section on the wiki for more information about setting up a bouncer to get around this issue.

If you already know what you're doing, here's the basic info. Remember that you need to be registered to get voice.

Server/Channel Info
    Server: irc.slashnet.org:6667
    Channel: #pax

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Minecraft (top)

The PAX community minecraft is currently under construction (haha). If there's demand, it will be reopened.
    The PAX community also hosts a Minecraft server. Why you ask? Because Minecraft is great, that's why. The resource page at paxcommunity.net has all the information you need to get started. For a quick look at what we've already built you can check out this live map of the multiverse. The menu is a hover menu on the right side of the window.

Upon joining the server, you will have ask for permissions in order to build. You can request permissions either directly from Contre or Moe Fwacky in IRC/Minecraft Chat or by e-mailing minecraft@paxcommunity.net with your minecraft username.

Also, please be sure to review the server rules and objectives.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Removed.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    A momentous event. RIP #paforums_pax, 7/27/2006 - 8/02/2012

Long live #pax
    In case that wasn't clear, we've switched channels... there's an auto-forward and everything else stayed the same

zerzhul on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    I didn't know Minecraft was a resource :3

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    I didn't know Minecraft was a resource :3

Minecraft is nothing but resources.

• Options
    emimonsteremimonster Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    I was wondering if it might be possible to add Enforcer info to that wiki page? Like contacts for each area of enforcing, etc?

(I know, I'm all take take take, right?!) : P

• Options
    I would expect to see some major wiki updates between Prime and East. Many of our best contributors were swamped with a variety of things during the East->Prime gap, but I think that will change.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    emimonster wrote: »
    I was wondering if it might be possible to add Enforcer info to that wiki page? Like contacts for each area of enforcing, etc?
    You mean like department managers with their contact info? It would be difficult to keep that updated as with 4 PAX's a year I don't think there is any department with the same manager for all 4. Plus it changes as people move on. Certainly people are welcome to try it, but its likely to get out of date quick. If you have any questions (comments, complaints, praise, ideas, etc) that you want to send to someone you could send them to Kristin Lindsay (already mentioned on the #e page) who is the PA employee that oversees enforcers. She would be able triage to the correct people.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    I started updating the wiki a bit more this past week to start including some things for PAX South. There's definitely a lack of Aus info there as well. Hopefully there's some folks that can add some more content in between paxes to bring certain articles more up to date.

Thanks again to all the folks that contribute on a regular basis to the pages they maintain :)

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Is anyone else having trouble viewing the Wiki? Every page just has the title and the body is blank. If I click the "Edit" tab I can still see the code is there, but it won't show up on the page.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    yes. I identified this problem a week or so ago and haven't had the time to fix it yet. I think I shall do so this weekend.

long story short, there's a bug in mediawiki that was exposed by upgrading php. They have a fix, but I need to do the mediawiki upgrade to fix it, and that will take some time to do properly.

• Options
    Unfortunately I got sick, so this hit the backburner. Sooooon though.

• Options
    Ok, wiki should be fixed! Upgraded to mediawiki 1.25.2

• Options
    PAX Community Crest updated by the wonderful @Yamara!

547px-Community_crest_4PAX.PNG

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Discord (top)

A new resource has risen! A collaborative effort between /r/pax and these forums, we have the unofficial pax discord!

If you're familiar with discord, the invite link is here: http://discord.gg/pax

If you're not familiar with discord, discord is a text and voice chat platform, sort of a combination between irc/slack and teamspeak/ventrilo. It's a pretty good way to implement an easy to administrate chat platform for a large community, especially a gaming centric community. Many gamers already use discord for various games, and so adding on something for PAX is a no-brainer!

Discord has a web app one can use without installing any software, and also mobile and desktop apps for major platforms.

Enjoy!

zerzhul on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    A momentous event. RIP #paforums_pax, 7/27/2006 - 8/02/2012

Long live #pax
    In case that wasn't clear, we've switched channels... there's an auto-forward and everything else stayed the same

PAX IRC has gone the way of the dodo because who the hell even uses IRC anymore anyway? There is a public GroupMe available here that is active year-round if you'd like to hang out and chat about random crap with other nerds

• Options
    heh, well we still *have* the IRC, but yeah it's not super active. and by not super active I mean there's a few posts every few days.

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »
    PAX IRC has gone the way of the dodo because who the hell even uses IRC anymore anyway?
    Uhh....

*looks at the hexchat install on his machines*

:P

Groupme room huh? Might poke my virtual head in there Soon (tm). :)

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    GroupMe (top)

As cabsy posted above, we have an unofficial community GroupMe chat as well!

If you're familiar with GroupMe, the invite link is here: https://groupme.com/join_group/29119174/L0FJfy

If you're not familiar with GroupMe, it is a text chat platform that integrates web/mobile apps and legacy SMS text messages. For folks who don't have a smartphone, or those who simply prefer only text comms, it's a solid resource for chatting with other PAX community members.

GroupMe has a web app one can use without installing any software, and also mobile apps for major platforms. From the web app, you can learn how to turn on SMS forwarding to interact with GroupMe via SMS.

• Options
    the paxcommunity hub got an update! Also the discord and groupme continue to be very active!
    Thanks to @Solanales for the design!

• Options
    Updated the discord link.