As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is [Love]? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more...

1939495969799»

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I have a friend who discovered he is allergic to shellfish as a child.

Because he picked up a dead crab (I think crab) at the beach. Then his hands got itchy. Then he licked his hands, as you do when you're a kid and you want to sooth something itchy, and his face swelled the fuck up.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    My allergy is called Oral Allergy Syndrome, and it's [thank god] not at all dangerous. Just varying levels of mouth/lip/inner-ear itchiness, and/or lips/gums aching. Only while the food is actually still on those areas, though. If I have something bubbly and abrasive like seltzer and crackers afterwards, it helps remove the foods from my mouth and the reaction goes away pretty quickly. Digesting the thing gives zero symptoms.

They saaaay a reaction with this syndrome can suddenly turn into anaphalactic shock, but.........YOLO. Sometimes I have a huge craving and just need to eat an allergy fruit, ya know??

I have had multiple people suggest the organic thing to me before, and it just pisses me off to no end.

Luckily though nobody has ever tried to trick me into eating anything...probably because they also understand that I can't eat a lot of delicious raw foods and it's not a personal choice at all.

Can you eat things like nuts? Or is it strictly like fruit skins and all that kind of stuff?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    My allergy is called Oral Allergy Syndrome, and it's [thank god] not at all dangerous. Just varying levels of mouth/lip/inner-ear itchiness, and/or lips/gums aching. Only while the food is actually still on those areas, though. If I have something bubbly and abrasive like seltzer and crackers afterwards, it helps remove the foods from my mouth and the reaction goes away pretty quickly. Digesting the thing gives zero symptoms.

They saaaay a reaction with this syndrome can suddenly turn into anaphalactic shock, but.........YOLO. Sometimes I have a huge craving and just need to eat an allergy fruit, ya know??

I have had multiple people suggest the organic thing to me before, and it just pisses me off to no end.

Luckily though nobody has ever tried to trick me into eating anything...probably because they also understand that I can't eat a lot of delicious raw foods and it's not a personal choice at all.

Raspberries can set off my asthma.

I don't let that stop me sometimes, I get you.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I have similar reactions, but it's a fairly narrow band of stuff that will cause it
    Raw carrots, coconut, a couple other things will get me itchy

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

I have that too! So far it's just certain types of raw tomato and all honeydew and musk melon.

Also any kind of spicy anything will make my esophagus bleed like crazy and about once every two years i get an infection in it that's so painful I can't eat or drink anything for about 2 weeks without screaming.

STORIES

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    bowen wrote: »

Can you eat things like nuts? Or is it strictly like fruit skins and all that kind of stuff?

It's not just the skins (which is another thing people suggest, usually followed by "I BET IT'S THE PESTICIDES" and then "HAVE YOU TRIED ORGANIC"), it's the fruit itself. Skins can be slightly worse, but it's the whole fruit (or vegetable) that's the issue.

Soooometimes nuts are an issue? Like I think when I was very young I was allergic to walnuts, then I didn't have them for like 2 decades, and now I don't seem to have an issue with them.

I used to be able to eat all nuts until a year or two ago when I started to get reactions from eating almonds.

Really that's one of the worst parts of this thing, is that when I find something to eat that I really like, and I start eating it regularly, sometimes my body is like "lol wut r u doin" and then starts to make me allergic to it. This is why I'm now allergic to apples. I never knew that apples were actually not meant to be grainy, because I'd only ever had awful old apples. Then ~5 years ago I discovered "oh, apples are DELICIOUS!" and I started eating them every now and then. Over the course of a year or two I became a bit allergic to them, so now I can only have them raw if I'm willing to deal with the allergic reaction (or if I'm eating them with something else that helps get the apple out of my mouth, like I mentioned in my previous post).

Shit is weird.

[edit] also I've resigned myself to the fact that this likely means by the time I'm 50 I'll only be able to eat bread and water. FUCK YOU, DUMB BODY

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I have that too! So far it's just certain types of raw tomato and all honeydew and musk melon.

Also any kind of spicy anything will make my esophagus bleed like crazy and about once every two years i get an infection in it that's so painful I can't eat or drink anything for about 2 weeks without screaming.

STORIES

Well that's horrific.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    @NightDragon you have pollen allergies or asthma too, I bet, don't you?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Melons, especially watermelon started making the back of my mouth and throat itch when i was in highschool.

I miss cantaloupe, watermelon not so much.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I'm not laughing at the "oh, I forgot" which is bad but happens easily, I'm at the "ha, I'll catch them in the act!" idea. That's just stupid and deliberately reckless. You could really hurt somebody.

people are kind of jerks about allergies

I'm 100% positive ND's organic foodwhisperer rant is actually something she experienced even if it was hyperbole.

I mean, there really are people who claim downright stupid things as "allergies," mostly to ensure that they get their way in conversations about food, which doesn't help those of us who actually have one.

In fairness, I'm very unlikely to die of mine unless you like drop me in a vat of scrambled eggs or something; I got off pretty light as far as that goes. The berry dude I know? Not so much. Someone tries to Gotcha him and he's going to the hospital and so are they, if I'm around.

yeaaah there's some foods I have a real psychological or taste aversion to, and I've had people ask me why I don't just tell restaurants etc that I'm allergic, to ensure it's not an issue.

and the answer is because I'm NOT allergic and it feels really skeevy, to me, to claim an illness I don't have. Plus I want people to take me seriously when I tell them about things I am allergic to (eg perfumes, cigarettes).

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I made some mac & cheese a month or so ago, and every time I ate it, I got really itchy, and I have NO idea what caused it, since everything in it was stuff I had used before!

• Options
    When someone douses themselves in cologne or perfume it's all I can taste.

I hate going past perfume stores in the mall.

Also cigarettes are gross, why did anyone ever find them attractive?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I'm not laughing at the "oh, I forgot" which is bad but happens easily, I'm at the "ha, I'll catch them in the act!" idea. That's just stupid and deliberately reckless. You could really hurt somebody.

people are kind of jerks about allergies

I'm 100% positive ND's organic foodwhisperer rant is actually something she experienced even if it was hyperbole.

I mean, there really are people who claim downright stupid things as "allergies," mostly to ensure that they get their way in conversations about food, which doesn't help those of us who actually have one.

In fairness, I'm very unlikely to die of mine unless you like drop me in a vat of scrambled eggs or something; I got off pretty light as far as that goes. The berry dude I know? Not so much. Someone tries to Gotcha him and he's going to the hospital and so are they, if I'm around.

yeaaah there's some foods I have a real psychological or taste aversion to, and I've had people ask me why I don't just tell restaurants etc that I'm allergic, to ensure it's not an issue.

and the answer is because I'm NOT allergic and it feels really skeevy, to me, to claim an illness I don't have. Plus I want people to take me seriously when I tell them about things I am allergic to (eg perfumes, cigarettes).

Yeah, my answer most of the time is to order around anything that seems like it's probably got eggs in it, or something leafy I know I can't stand. Once in a while I check on a sauce.

Since I'm American, I get really fucked up at sandwich places because mayo's on everything; I ask for stuff with something else instead a lot. And now with them wanting to put arugula and whatnot on sandwiches to make them fancy that's another thing to work around some places.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Perfection is ever the enemy of good.

As a person with a litany of (largely) mild allergies, I don't personally see any problem with this manner of white lie, although i can see being annoyed at oneself for needing to doit and society at large for creating the temptation to do it in the first place.

• Options
    I guess maybe it's cheap colognes and perfumes. The ones that are fruity/spiced or super mild instead of the really floral chemical shit seem fine.

• Options
    @NightDragon you have pollen allergies or asthma too, I bet, don't you?

Yep, pollen allergies! Honestly not severe at all, though. They seem pretty mild, really.

I have exercise-induced asthma, but I feel like I got that from my mother, maybe? She has full on asthma, and is super allergic to corn. Only corn though.

STORIES

There's DOZENS OF US!! Dozens!!

@Jedoc was the first person on these forums that I learned had the same allergy thing I do and I got very excited. Somebody else understands meeeeee

• Options
    edited July 2017

STORIES

Well that's horrific.

it's less than fun.

it also leads to boring drawn out conversations with people when i have to ask "is it spicy?" and they always reply "no not very much" and then i have to say "no I mean at all" ad then they say "just a but but it's really good" and then i have to say etc etc ad nauseum oh my god make it stop

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    My ex insisted I smell some essential oil or other (which she knew I generally don't care for) and spent the rest of the evening feeling guilty and worried because I had some of the worst asthma I've had in years.

• Options

Same w/ perfume. Strangely, but probably from being pretty much soaked in secondhand smoke for my entire childhood, I have never minded tobacco smells that much, even since I stopped being acclimated to them.

Except for cloves or whatever, those are awful.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I get really phlegmy when I exercise. People say "it's just because you don't exercise a lot anymore"

No, when I was 140 lbs and running every other day I still got really phlegmy.

It's really gross and I hate it. And you can't just keep spitting that shit out either because it's gross and people hate that.

bowen on
  • Options
    I feel like if you have a big food aversion, and people you're hanging out with are being dicks about it, saying "I have an allergy to the food" is fine, if that little lie causes them to stop being dicks about it.

I feel differently about it if you actually go around pretending you have the allergy in front of everybody regardless, and make peoples' lives unnecessarily complicated by this lie....i.e. telling a restaurant you're allergic to something when you're not.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I feel like if you have a big food aversion, and people you're hanging out with are being dicks about it, saying "I have an allergy to the food" is fine, if that little lie causes them to stop being dicks about it.

I feel differently about it if you actually go around pretending you have the allergy in front of everybody regardless, and make peoples' lives unnecessarily complicated by this lie....i.e. telling a restaurant you're allergic to something when you're not.

Lying about literally anything for the sake of attention is generally a dogshit thing to do.

sarukun on
  • Options

We have a lady here at work that pretends to have a corn allergy.

She drinks soda.

And eats tortilla.

Heavy forbid if someone microwaves popcorn though.

She pretended she used to get set off by any scent that was "strong", so if you used the alcohol stuff for your hands she'd start hacking up a lung. Someone recorded the sound the dispenser made to do a test. And then played it when they walked out of the room without actually using it. She still hacked up a lung for 5 minutes.

It is still kind of jerkish, but she's one of those people that does that kind of shit constantly.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I've actually gotten this one twisted a couple of times. I frequently say that I'm allergic to seafood, because the smell or taste of seafood will make me incredibly nauseous to the point of, well, you know. So I just say I'm allergic, and I'm fine, but every once in a while a waiter will overhear that, and get like, super vigilant about it, making sure there's no anchovies in their Caesar dressing and that there's separate cook spaces and stuff like that.

I always feel bad about that sort of thing, because I know I'm not sensitive enough to notice that.

• Options
    "I'm actually allergic to the sound!"

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I get really phlegmy when I exercise. People say "it's just because you don't exercise a lot anymore"

No, when I was 140 lbs and running every other day I still got really phlegmy.

It's really gross and I hate it. And you can't just keep spitting that shit out either because it's gross and people hate that.

This is one of the primary reasons I can't run.

I'm in pretty good shape and I can make it maybe a mile before I literally cannot breathe. It's worse in the winter. Sometimes, in summer if I can push past that initial "oh god I am dying I am dead" phase and control my breathing through my nose it isn't so bad. The problem there is I have constant allergies and usually only have regular use of one nostril.

• Options
    "I'm drinking this to build up my immunity so I don't become completely allergic"

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

Same w/ perfume. Strangely, but probably from being pretty much soaked in secondhand smoke for my entire childhood, I have never minded tobacco smells that much, even since I stopped being acclimated to them.

I'm not a super taster, but perfume gets me to. Or any chemical scent. I can't even use Lysol without letting the room air afterwards. Fruity or actual spicy (as opposed to chemically imitated spicy) scents are fine. But even a small amount of a chemical scent is overpowering to me. Just one dab of Old Spice on a person is enough for me to be able to fucking scent track them.

Also Old Spice becomes a horrible rancid abomination as soon as it comes in contact with human skin oils, why does anyone wear that shit?

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

I've actually gotten this one twisted a couple of times. I frequently say that I'm allergic to seafood, because the smell or taste of seafood will make me incredibly nauseous to the point of, well, you know. So I just say I'm allergic, and I'm fine, but every once in a while a waiter will overhear that, and get like, super vigilant about it, making sure there's no anchovies in their Caesar dressing and that there's separate cook spaces and stuff like that.

I always feel bad about that sort of thing, because I know I'm not sensitive enough to notice that.

I only rarely eat classy enough places for them to become real concerned about the allergy, but it's happened to me once or twice and did to my mother several times - I got it from her.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Decomposey wrote: »

I'm not a super taster, but perfume gets me to. Or any chemical scent. I can't even use Lysol without letting the room air afterwards. Fruity or actual spicy (as opposed to chemically imitated spicy) scents are fine. But even a small amount of a chemical scent is overpowering to me. Just one dab of Old Spice on a person is enough for me to be able to fucking scent track them.

Also Old Spice becomes a horrible rancid abomination as soon as it comes in contact with human skin oils, why does anyone wear that shit?

I like to use the soaps, but generally that involves scrubbing all of the oil off of my skin anyway, so.

• Options
    Decomposey wrote: »

THANK YOU

I always told my duder friends I could tell they're wearing old spice because they smell like rancid BO.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

Ahhh, that sucks. That's definitely a severe enough reaction to a food where it's totally acceptable for you to say something, but it's unusual enough where it sounds like it's hard to describe to them accurately (without freaking them out).

Luckily I only have to mention my allergy at restaurants rarely, since typically it only comes up for stuff like fruit sauces/salsas or sangria. Stuff in a salad or on a plate I can pick out. I make sure to let them know it's not at all dangerous, so they don't have to go crazy in the kitchen cleaning stuff down at all.

• Options

yes yes yes yes ick ick ick ick

i just loathe perfume now

• Options
    Girls really like to wear perfume on dates too, which kind of stinks. (ayyyyyyy)

This discussion has been closed.