As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] 8th ed Incoming! New Profiles, new rules new stats quo.

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I'm probably using the Ultramarines or Salamanders CT with my Blood Ravens.

I briefly considered the Iron Hands as sort of a nod to "None shall find us wanting," but it doesn't feel as engaging.

Edit: And yes, I do need that awesome Angelos.

Nealneal on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    From the Iron Hand preview, the Flesh is Weak and Unyielding Ancient from Venerabl Dreads stacks.

So for every wound you take you get two 6+ rolls to see if you can ignore that wound.

• TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    From the Iron Hand preview, the Flesh is Weak and Unyielding Ancient from Venerabl Dreads stacks.

So for every wound you take you get two 6+ rolls to see if you can ignore that wound.

That's how it is for every 8th FNP equivalent. There's a few factions that can layer 2 of them.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

That's how it is for every 8th FNP equivalent. There's a few factions that can layer 2 of them.

As someone pointed out, Mad Dok Grotsnik can get three, plus regeneration and regular/invulnerable saves, if you make him the Warlord.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Yeah, I played against an opponent who had a demon of nurgle that had an invulnerable save, disgustingly resilient, and the warlord trait

He was tough to bring down : (

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Yeah, I played against an opponent who had a demon of nurgle that had an invulnerable save, disgustingly resilient, and the warlord trait

He was tough to bring down : (

Typhus so incredibly hard to kill with this warlord trait. Especially as he can cast a spell on himself to make himself -1 to hit

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I Hope they clarify the fortune psy power a little in that regard as to what is a “similar“ ability.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I got married two weeks ago, and this week, my wife, who lives in Atlanta, took me to a Hobbytown and the GW store. Hobbytown was great. The GW store had the one employee who greeted me, but then kept doing what he was doing and ignored me.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Cross-posting because of common interest:
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    So, figured I should mention this here, but Steam has a big sale on pretty much any GW-licensed games. Not sure how long it lasts.

I'd love to hear any recommendations (positive or negative) people have. I'm a big fan of the Dawn of War series, and I liked Space Marine (though I've only played a small part of it so far). I've got a key for the first Total Warhammer. I have Space Hulk but found it kind of underwhelming.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Regarding the Crimson Fists; if you're going to do it, please give them the cool dark blue scheme, like this:
    0d4i1ukobmt5.jpgm3drtl5fh0jz.jpg
    and not a bright blue or Ultra Marines blue scheme.
    upgjktgzluky.jpgi3va4ptlkcnm.jpg
    I mean, it's up to you. I'm just saying

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    If I was going to go with a football team there would be orange in there.

20150224_022915_broncoshelmet_400.jpg

But that is what test models are for.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'm still in a daze. I lost my league match this week on turn 2 because he killed everything I had. The only damage I did on my single turn was bring his voidraven bomber down to one wound and kill my own psyker with perils of the warp

• VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    I'm still in a daze. I lost my league match this week on turn 2 because he killed everything I had. The only damage I did on my single turn was bring his voidraven bomber down to one wound and kill my own psyker with perils of the warp

What were you fighting?

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
    I was fighting Dark Eldar as Death Guard. It was a 1000 point relic game and we got the corner deployment that comes up to 9 inches from the center. He got to go first for having fewer units and I couldn't keep anything out of LoS with his movement. They just flew around the terrain and cleaned house

• VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    Ouch!

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
    I was fighting Dark Eldar as Death Guard. It was a 1000 point relic game and we got the corner deployment that comes up to 9 inches from the center. He got to go first for having fewer units and I couldn't keep anything out of LoS with his movement. They just flew around the terrain and cleaned house

360 firing arcs on supersonic fliers is bullshit.

Playing on tables without solid LOS blocking in every possible deployment area and at least 1 large piece in the middle of the board is also bullshit.

Damage comes hard and fast in 8th edition, people need to be playing with lots of good terrain.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    360 firing arcs on fliers is fine.
    Lack of terrain is not.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    McGibs wrote: »
    360 firing arcs on fliers is fine.
    Lack of terrain is not.

It's really not, the movement restrictions are basically no penalty at all, when you can fire any direction.

So first I am trying to think of how to play my CSM for the first week of Konnor as I will probably be attacking. See the rules in the link.

https://warhammer40000.com/mission-1-invasion/

I am thinking LR plus two rhinos of aggressive CSM moving up the board. A Daemon Prince, Lord, and Sorc with them. And a Hellbrute and Vindi. Some havoc fire support with termis and if I have the points raptors deepstriking for support.

Sons of Dorn preview is up. Fist of Imperial and Crimson stylings and BTs.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    So @nax and I had what I consider our first "real" game of 8th wherein I think we pretty much got everything right?

Was fun, It's interesting the change in dynamic of marines/characters being pretty survivable if you have overlapping buffs also Bjorn is just... goddamn. I didn't realize that his dread statline is buffed over normal dreads.

Two Questions: One thing that came up that was a new concept for me in the close combat phase is consolidating into 1" of another unit (that isn't in combat already), thereby being able to be swung at by that unit, HOWEVER this now means the unit is in close combat with you so they have to fall-back on their turn to withdraw from combat...

Secondly: Cover. It is so odd to me, that if you are firing at a unit behind a ruin, that the unit does not get cover because it is not IN the ruin. Is that right? I mean, intervening cover doesn't seem to DO anything. Likewise, it also seems like vehicles get no coversaves for being obscured at all. I.E. "I can see a sliver of the back tread on that rhino" means Im shooting it at 0 cover.

Is this confusing for anyone else?

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    Two Questions: One thing that came up that was a new concept for me in the close combat phase is consolidating into 1" of another unit (that isn't in combat already), thereby being able to be swung at by that unit, HOWEVER this now means the unit is in close combat with you so they have to fall-back on their turn to withdraw from combat...

Even if you consolidate into 1" of an enemy unit you cannot attack them during that combat. This is one of those rulings that annoys me a ton with my beserkers who get two fight phases but only verse the unit they charged.
    Secondly: Cover. It is so odd to me, that if you are firing at a unit behind a ruin, that the unit does not get cover because it is not IN the ruin. Is that right? I mean, intervening cover doesn't seem to DO anything. Likewise, it also seems like vehicles get no coversaves for being obscured at all. I.E. "I can see a sliver of the back tread on that rhino" means Im shooting it at 0 cover.

Yup, there are two rules with cover for vehicles:
    1) Must be in/on the terrain
    2) Must be obscured by 50% to receive a bonus.

The rules are more abstract now. You can't have a rhino wall give cover to other units for example. Now technically if you have a rhino in front of a dread and both are in terrain that provides cover and the dread is at least 50% obscured? It gets cover.

It is a big simplification of the cover rules and such but at the same time you get some odd this is super silly game moments.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I still don't understand the cover rules, even after your description. I hate that they didn't just make cover footprint based, because I despise the arguments around putting your face at table level and arguing whether 40% or 60% of the model is obscured from LOS of that one model.

What is this I don't even.
  • LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    Yeah my friends have basically thrown out the actual cover rules because they're actually pointlessly complicated and confusing (and frankly, nonsensical). We've just gone with 'are you 50% obscured by things? You get cover. Are you infantry in area terrain (i.e. a crater or a wood or a ruin base)? You get cover.'

I mean, how are you 'in' a ruin if it doesn't have a base? Are you in it if you're directly behind the wall? Then why not if you're quite a way behind the wall? It's still obscuring the shot.

edited July 2017
    ^ all of my games so far have also been using that general ruling for cover.
    Not having intervening terrain/models give cover is a massive limitation to the entire terrain/cover mechanic.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Yeah, when 8th dropped we realized that although my LGS has an absolutely enormous selection of both GW and home made terrain, pretty much 99% of it was practically useless with the new rules because it didn't provide cover.

It really feels like GW is making things inconvenient for all players just to stop a few arguments from hypercompetitive WAAC douchebags at tournaments.

SmokeStacks on
    I figure there will be feed back at some point. At least the FAQs look like they are willing to change things as the game progresses.

The terrain rules don't bug me. But I have been out of the game for a bit so it is all new. Still think the basic idea of use your brain works especially for ruins if it is an open building and no base. What is inside is pretty straight forward.

There are rules in the back of the main rule book for other terrain types though I am meh on them.

The whole obscuring using units thing though I am fine with seeing gone. I mean I use to use my rhinos as basically mobile terrain all the time and really it was silly in a different way.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I mean, using tanks as rolling cover is a legit historical tactic.

But, playability over realism everyday for 40k.

I need to thoroughly read the 8th ed cover rules, been so busy I haven't had a chance to spend quality time with the rulebook yet.

I need to thoroughly read the 8th ed cover rules, been so busy I haven't had a chance to spend quality time with the rulebook yet.

Basic cover rules in the quick play rules is simple:

1)If infantry and the unit is fully with in the terrain you get +1 to your cover save.
    2)If a vehicle and fully with in cover and are 50% obscured you get a +1 cover save.

The advanced rules for forest, ruins, and so on though are more complex. Like infantry can get cover from a crater but a tank can't and so on.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

1)If infantry and the unit is fully with in the terrain you get +1 to your cover save.
    2)If a vehicle and fully with in cover and are 50% obscured you get a +1 cover save.

The advanced rules for forest, ruins, and so on though are more complex. Like infantry can get cover from a crater but a tank can't and so on.

I'll honest most peoples issues with cover is solved by the advanced cover rules in the rule book.

The other thing, though cover is pretty huge it isn't like when I last really played where a cover save could be like 4+/5+ invuln save and I think people got really obsessed with that. +1 to your armor is good. But also doesn't negate stuff like AP weapons.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I'll honest most peoples issues with cover is solved by the advanced cover rules in the rule book.

Er, that's where the majority of the problems come from. Especially after the FAQ, which rules out any sort of intervening bonuses.
    Each type of terrain piece has its own particular rule for cover requirements. Some require 25% obscuring, others require 50%? Some types (like a forest) reduce charge range, but others (like rubble strewn ruins) don't? Are you going to spend 10 minutes before every game assigning which 'bespoke' cover rules apply to which type of terrain feature? There's no good blanket ruling that exists to easily fill in the gaps, which is why people are coming up with the simple "if the entire unit is 50% obscured, its in cover"

website_header.jpg
    Hmmm...avoiding work I am playing with lists for the Invasion of Konnor on my phone. Some needing new units some with just what I have.

One of my thoughts is getting two seeker chariots as I classically run Slaanesh armies.

The idea is the landraider with a daemon prince behind it and filled with a lord, a sorc, and zerkers (elites) flanked by the two chariots to absorb fire. Carrying the back line 3 5 man csm squads with plasma. They are supporting a lascannon helbrute and there are two lascannon/hb havocs squads behind that giving more long range fire power.

There are also a termi drop squad to support folks as well and also for waprtime+deep strike combos.

It feels pretty good in my head. Chariots are decently tough with a T5 6W with a 5++ and 12" movement. Also 8 attacks plus the thresher rule so that every model in 1" when they charge can take a mortal wound if you roll a 6 on a die. Top it off they always strike first.

It seems pretty good in my brain but no clue if it would be on the table. Thoughts?

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited July 2017
    https://imgur.com/a/J8agS
    Some leaks for the marine codex:
    -Repulsors are in fact, big-ol primaris rhinobackpredatorraidspeeders (litterally all the SM vehicles rolled into one).
    -A whole mess of cool stratagems that bring back some of the formation abilities for synergizing units (linebreaker bombardment), and some lost unit abilities (cluster mines, orbital bombardment), and even neat army-building things like upgrading a captain to a chaptermaster, or bringing extra relics.
    -Return of most of the old relics.
    -6 psychic powers, so no more having to worry about too many redundant librarians.

A good peak at what's in store for codexes. I think the stratagem stuff is brilliant, and gives me hope for other armies.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    https://imgur.com/a/J8agS
    Some leaks for the marine codex:
    -Repulsors are in fact, big-ol primaris rhinobackpredatorraidspeeders (litterally all the SM vehicles rolled into one).
    -A whole mess of cool stratagems that bring back some of the formation abilities for synergizing units (linebreaker bombardment), and some lost unit abilities (cluster mines, orbital bombardment), and even neat army-building things like upgrading a captain to a chaptermaster, or bringing extra relics.
    -Return of most of the old relics.
    -6 psychic powers, so no more having to worry about too many redundant librarians.

A good peak at what's in store for codexes. I think the stratagem stuff is brilliant, and gives me hope for other armies.

Going through some thoughts on what I can read:

1)Repulsor tanks are basically huge land raiders that reduce charge range.
    2)The raven guard strategy is still really good but not as insane as I thought. It is 1 cp you use when setting an infantry unit in deployment. Before the first turn they are set up more than 9" away from the enemy.Really good if you know you should have first turn to set up those assault termis in someone's back line as they will get to move and assault. But also means no dreads disguised as fridges.

Also they got a Jaws of the wolf wolf.

Roll 3d6. If a unit is in that range draw a straight line, all models under that line suffer a mortal wound.

Some interesting stuff there though.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Roll 3d6. If a unit is in that range draw a straight line, all models under that line suffer a mortal wound.
    Hold on there. Each enemy UNIT that the line passes over suffers 1 mortal wound. No more of this 5th ed laser sniping BS.

website_header.jpg
    Hold on there. Each enemy UNIT that the line passes over suffers 1 mortal wound. No more of this 5th ed laser sniping BS.

I can barely read the pictures I thought it said models. Still it is basically a baby wolf wolf.

u7stthr17eud.png
    3hxzj9oqr9hj.png

Good for pinging a bunch of little units in a row. For putting wounds on a single target, smite is still better.

website_header.jpg
    edited July 2017
    I'm pretty sure berzerkers can attack a second unit that they consolidated into if they declared it as a second charge target in the charge phase and took the overwatch fire from both

TIFunkalicious on
    I'm pretty sure berzerkers can attack a second unit that they consolidated into if they declared it as a second charge target in the charge phase and took the overwatch fire from both

The difference is you declared the charge in that one. If you just consolidate and don't declare then you don't get to attack. But I am not sure if it counts if you failed to reach that second unit as well. Also I am pretty sure there is an FAQ discussing this stuff but I am still at work for about 5 minutes and won't have time to check for about an hour.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    The game on the Warhammer TV stream with Tau vs Khorne, I'm sure the commentators said that if the berserkers charged 2 units but failed to reach one but ended up consolidating into it, then they would get to attack for their 2nd combat.

It's certainly possible they were wrong, but they did have the writers of the rules playing that game and I'm sure they took a break to figure this out.

PSN Fleety2009
This discussion has been closed.