As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is there a place to run a D&D one shot at PAX?

lazercatlazercat Registered User new member
I went to PAX last year and played D&D for the first time. When I came home, I immediately bought all the books and read through them, then put on my DM hat and introduced my gaming group to the game. I started out with LMoP, and transitioned into SKT, but throughout, I've been crafting little one shot adventures, all set in my own little world, for the weeks when we have absentees, or when we have guests and don't want to play the main campaign. Some of these one shots, I'm super proud of, and I've poured a bunch of time into fleshing them out and making sure to pack as much story, drama, dilemma and combat into a limited time as possible. I love using them both to introduce new players to the game, or to run through with veterans to give them something fresh.

I've been considering bringing my little (big) bag of tricks to PAX as I'm sure there will be many willing and appreciative participants there, but my question is, is there someplace where it would be totally acceptable to commandeer a table and lay out all my papers and props and invite random passersby to sit down for a casual 3 hour D&D sesh? I remember last year there was a large freeplay D&D and Pathfinder area, but if I remember correctly, those tables were all like an organised thing for Adventurers League. Is there an area, or an accepted time where people can just show up out of the blue and host games for randoms?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    You should be able to do this in the general tabletop freeplay area for sure. I'm not sure if there will be an area within the D&D or pathfinder space to do this, but enforcers at the show would know best.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    You might want to try to find interested people here before hand so you don't spend a lot of time on site trying to convince people to join you.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • PDP11PDP11 Registered User regular
    Do you know or can find other people to DM these modules so that you can fill certain time slots? Run a competition or campaign?

In other words, determine what you can reasonably arrange then talk to the enforcer(s) running TableTop this year.

• MerricBMerricB Registered User regular
    Space is certainly at a premium for role-playing at PAX. There were 24 tables set aside for organised role-playing events; 8 for D&D Adventurers League, 8 for Pathfinder Society, and 8 for Other RPGs. These are typically all arranged and booked beforehand. (I know all the D&D tables are assigned, since I'm responsible for them).

There are free-play tables, for boardgaming or role-playing, which fill up very quickly at the best times. These are rectangular, and aren't great for role-playing with more than about 4 players.

Your best option is to try contacting the Tabletop people at PAX Aus in advance and see if you can be assigned an "Other RPG" table; I don't know if Andrew still has slots available but it can't hurt to ask!

Cheers,
    Merric

• BruceLGLBruceLGL Registered User regular
    I also would be interested in running a one shot or two, but not D&D. I have found that there is a player base who wants to play a game that doesn't involve magic (or space magic, super power magic, etc), so I have run a series of Scarlet Pimpernel games that have gone down well.

I am also currently running an Age of Rebellion campaign, might come up with something for that.

Either way, unfortunately I cannot confirm my attendance at this stage, so I will have to go with the informal session option.

• PDP11PDP11 Registered User regular
    Is their any chance the small group, role playing DMs could get their space in the Queue Room after the morning rush?

I always thought the vacant space could be used for LARP.