As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2017 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2017
    NeutralC wrote: »
    Sooo.... this is going to be my most left field question; does anyone have an uncle who works at Nintendo? See, Im not a big streamer or have the funds to make a Reggie Fils-A-Mech 2.0, but I would really, really, really, really, really, like to go IN that building while Im in town.

(Dont be too harsh as this would be a check on the bucket list, but I know my chances are slim; then again that is saying there IS a chance.) ;-)
    This isn't really the place to try to make that happen, sorry. I do wish you luck though.

zerzhul on
  • kangaroobanditkangaroobandit Registered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    First time going to PAX this year. How early do people usually get there? I don't want to miss out on anything.

You will miss out on things, we design it specifically so that people can't do everything and have to make choices because we are mean can't fit everyone in one space and need to spread you all out.

I knoww lol Thanks! =]

• BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    My Bobcats have shipped!!!!!!

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    Bluemeane wrote: »
    My Bobcats have shipped!!!!!!

did you order any merch with yours? On reddit yesterday someone said theirs was shipped as well but the person didn't order any merch. I haven't gotten any email yet and I ordered the blanket.

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • oldskoolboarderoldskoolboarder Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    This'll be my 2nd time w/ my son.

Last year was our 1st time and I researched ahead of time to figure out the scene. Yup, there's too much to see/do. So pick your battles. Check the maps and know where you want to hit. Make a list of all your top hits and prioritize it. Check the schedules, that'll determine where/when you have to be. Realize that sometimes it isn't meant to be. Last year, we lined up 1 hour early every day, just to sprint to the Rick and Morty VR demo. And EVERY day, we made it in 10 min to the booth and lines were booked for 3 hours. Big titles will have long lines.

The Sony app is great, I kept forgetting to schedule. I also forgot my friend works at PS and realized he could hook me up, but only after I got home.

Visit the indies. We did that and I eventually picked up those games, like Old Man and 1979 Revolution. In both cases, I spent some time talking to the devs.

Follow every one of your favorite devs, gamers, etc on Twitter/IG/FB so know where they are and what swag/promos they've got. I used HootSuite to search #PAX and #PAX2016 on a bunch of sites to keep an eye on the traffic.

Find panels to watch. My son's a Pokemon gamer so we brought all our Pokemon games and he battled some of the PAX Pokemon League while waiting in line. We attended his now favorite podcast 'It's Super Effective'. We watched the TellTale Panel even though we already owned/played Batman. Then they gave the ENTIRE audience the whole season for free. We went to the Double Fine one and my son ended up on stage w/ Tim Schafer after playing their new title.

Check out the board games too. We sat w/ the Headhunters devs and played a round. Very fun, sadly still waiting for release.

Get restaurant reservations in ADVANCE. We tried to drop in a few places and the wait was crazy. We had to make do then. I made dinner reservations near each of the panels once I knew where/when they were. This year we're in an AirBNB nearby so we have access to a kitchen and that'll make life easier vs eating crappy convention food.

Suffice to say we had an FANTASTIC time.

PLAN PLAN PLAN. Otherwise, you'll be lost and frustrated, waiting in a ton of lines.

oldskoolboarder on
  • sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

We went to the Double Fine one and my son ended up on stage w/ Tim Schafer after playing their new title.

Offtopic: Was that your son who was playing Headlander at the Double Fine party last year? He was so good!!

sedirox on
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

Last year, we lined up 1 hour early every day, just to sprint to the Rick and Morty VR demo. And EVERY day, we made it in 10 min to the booth and lines were booked for 3 hours. Big titles will have long lines.

Word is, exhibitors were lining up for the Rick & Morty demo before anybody was let in. People with medical badges who were allowed in early also failed to get spots in line. I believe PAX is aware of this.

• diggity_dogdiggity_dog Registered User new member
    With ONOG no longer around, will there still be a Hearthstone tournament at PAX West?

sedirox wrote: »

We went to the Double Fine one and my son ended up on stage w/ Tim Schafer after playing their new title.

Offtopic: Was that your son who was playing Headlander at the Double Fine party last year? He was so good!!

It was actually 140 at the bar near the water. Can't recall the venue name.

YoungFrey wrote: »

Last year, we lined up 1 hour early every day, just to sprint to the Rick and Morty VR demo. And EVERY day, we made it in 10 min to the booth and lines were booked for 3 hours. Big titles will have long lines.

Word is, exhibitors were lining up for the Rick & Morty demo before anybody was let in. People with medical badges who were allowed in early also failed to get spots in line. I believe PAX is aware of this.

If that's true, that BLOWS.

With ONOG no longer around, will there still be a Hearthstone tournament at PAX West?
    what is onog?

• H4W7DuhmanH4W7Duhman Registered User regular
    Will returned/scalped badges still be available even though badges have been shipped?

• diggity_dogdiggity_dog Registered User new member
    zerzhul wrote: »
    what is onog?

One Nation of Gamers - they organized the Hearthstone tournament last year. I don't know much about the details of it, was it not officially connected to PAX?

• CKingCKing Registered User regular
    Will medical badge pick up be where will call is? This is my second year needing a medical badge (first with a mobility device) and just want to make sure it's going to be at the same place as last year.

• krae_mankrae_man Registered User regular
    H4W7Duhman wrote: »
    Will returned/scalped badges still be available even though badges have been shipped?

Yes. Tickets have already been cancelled and reclaimed badges will be on sale "Soon"

Also they specifically said merch would ship separately from badges, so don't expect anything other then bobcats in your packages.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular

Medical badges were able to get a spot in line just fine if you researched what to do. I had a medical badge last year and made the Rick & Morty demo my first stop each day. If you stood in the normal medical badge line you did not make it up to the 6th floor in time. You had to ask the Enforcers to move you to the 6th floor medical line. Some Enforcers did not know what was going on so you just had to keep trying until you found someone who was informed.

Part of the line problem was also the space, it was just too small for how popular it was. There just was no room for a long line so it filled up before the hall official opened. Exhibitors did take up line space the first few days, but after that the Demo started opening for them much earlier to get people through. On the last day they even opened up for Medical badges a half hour early to try and help with the line.

IhtGIyi.png
    SkeleVader wrote: »

Medical badges were able to get a spot in line just fine if you researched what to do. I had a medical badge last year and made the Rick & Morty demo my first stop each day. If you stood in the normal medical badge line you did not make it up to the 6th floor in time. You had to ask the Enforcers to move you to the 6th floor medical line. Some Enforcers did not know what was going on so you just had to keep trying until you found someone who was informed.

Part of the line problem was also the space, it was just too small for how popular it was. There just was no room for a long line so it filled up before the hall official opened. Exhibitors did take up line space the first few days, but after that the Demo started opening for them much earlier to get people through. On the last day they even opened up for Medical badges a half hour early to try and help with the line.

I don't have a medical badge myself, I'm just repeating what I've heard from others. Having looked at the medical badge paperwork, it doesn't mention a 6th floor line at all. I imagine some badge holders don't know about it. Especially since some Enforcers don't know about it.

CKing wrote: »
    Will medical badge pick up be where will call is? This is my second year needing a medical badge (first with a mobility device) and just want to make sure it's going to be at the same place as last year.
    Medical badges are handled by registration still, as far as I know, so yes.

zerzhul wrote: »
    what is onog?

One Nation of Gamers - they organized the Hearthstone tournament last year. I don't know much about the details of it, was it not officially connected to PAX?
    I don't know, unfortunately. If it was on the pax tournament or pax arena schedule it was probably at least related. If not, it was likely set up separately. I guess we'll have to wait and see when the schedule is released.

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular

I don't have a medical badge myself, I'm just repeating what I've heard from others. Having looked at the medical badge paperwork, it doesn't mention a 6th floor line at all. I imagine some badge holders don't know about it. Especially since some Enforcers don't know about it.

I recommend always verifying if there is a more appropriate line if you want to go somewhere other than the expo hall.
    I know at South I've overheard discussions in the queue hall, and then told them there was another line specifically for that thing.
    Ive never asked about lines at West though... I'm usually trying to reach that one booth in the hall before it caps.

Doesn't hurt to ask :)

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular

The 6th floor medical line last year was not something that was pre-planned for each day. It was something the Enforcers set up on the fly in response to the demand. It is always a good idea to do your research if there is a specific area you need to get to and keep asking questions throughout the weekend because things will change. Every year there are line issues because it is hard to manage so many people and get everyone where they want to be. People should not expect every Enforcer to know everything and need to make it their own responsibility to know where to go. Enforcers are tools that can be used to make your experience better, but are not baby sitters.

IhtGIyi.png
  • BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular

The 6th floor medical line last year was not something that was pre-planned for each day. It was something the Enforcers set up on the fly in response to the demand. It is always a good idea to do your research if there is a specific area you need to get to and keep asking questions throughout the weekend because things will change. Every year there are line issues because it is hard to manage so many people and get everyone where they want to be. People should not expect every Enforcer to know everything and need to make it their own responsibility to know where to go. Enforcers are tools that can be used to make your experience better, but are not baby sitters.

You said 'Tools' hehehe.

Carry on.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    Get restaurant reservations in ADVANCE. We tried to drop in a few places and the wait was crazy. We had to make do then. I made dinner reservations near each of the panels once I knew where/when they were. This year we're in an AirBNB nearby so we have access to a kitchen and that'll make life easier vs eating crappy convention food.
    My two suggestions on this topic.

Eat dinner at off times (early or late).
    Wander more than a couple blocks away from the convention center, and not down Pine/Pike/Union towards the market. The crowds will drop off every block further East, North or South you travel.

• RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    OK I have a serious question about PAX: where is the mythical kitten room? I've heard about it (always after the fact) and I MUST FIND THIS ROOM. One enforcer I asked last year looked at me like I was crazy, but then another one said it closed early afternoon (around 1ish).

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
    RiDE wrote: »
    OK I have a serious question about PAX: where is the mythical kitten room? I've heard about it (always after the fact) and I MUST FIND THIS ROOM. One enforcer I asked last year looked at me like I was crazy, but then another one said it closed early afternoon (around 1ish).
    Cards Against Humanity put together a kitten room once as part of their space that was sort of pax-adjacent. I'm not sure if they've done it more than once.

edited July 2017

Cards Against Humanity teamed up with Exploding Kittens for Pax 2015 and set up a kitten petting room in the ACT theater (connected to the convention center, but not actually part of Pax). It was available from Noon - 3pm each day, but they only did it for Pax 2015. I did not see it last year, but looks like other did.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • IncarnadineIncarnadine Registered User regular
    They've done it the last two years. Last year it was along the path CAH set up to get people from behind the main escalators to their retail space.

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

Everyone is correct on this regarding the location. I believe they do it to benefit a local cat shelter/sanctuary (at least they did last year).

If you do go, they accept donations so be sure to bring cash if you wish! You don't have to pay to play with the kitties but it is a nice incentive.

And given my avatar, I will always encourage others to donate for the benefit of animals (especially fellow cats that haven't had their shot at the business world yet).

IncreaseBlue on
  • dm_magicdm_magic Registered User regular
    I have been seeing online that we should not post pictures of our badges because it shows the serial numbers. Is this true? And if so, what can the serial numbers be used for?

bn4KEyz.png
  • vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    I'd imagine that posting pictures of your badges just makes it that much easier for counterfeiters to work their nefarious arts. Besides that, you probably don't want other people using your PAX XP QR code if you have any interest in playing the meta-game.

55ymlH2.png
  • kangaroobanditkangaroobandit Registered User regular
    dm_magic wrote: »
    I have been seeing online that we should not post pictures of our badges because it shows the serial numbers. Is this true? And if so, what can the serial numbers be used for?

Yes all badges have serial numbers on them. I made sure when I posted mine that my serial numbers or the QR code were not showing. Just be careful if you do post pictures. Im not 100% sure what they are used for yet. I've heard that the QR code can be used to win prizes? But don't quote me on that lol.

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    The serial numbers are used to register for prizes in PAX XP. I figure folks could register serials in photos under them as a way to get more shots at winning prizes.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    The serial numbers are used to register for prizes in PAX XP. I figure folks could register serials in photos under them as a way to get more shots at winning prizes.

It's not just PAX XP. I know at South there were a couple of exhibitors doing giveaways that used the XP as well.

So yeah, try not to post photos with that showing.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • KdawgKdawg Registered User new member
    So my son and I are going to PAX west this year. However, I have no idea what to expect. What will I be spending my day doing? Do we actually get to play games or just look at stuff and go to panels? Thanks for information you can give us so we can better plan when we get there.

• SilverspudSilverspud Registered User regular
    Kdawg wrote: »
    So my son and I are going to PAX west this year. However, I have no idea what to expect. What will I be spending my day doing? Do we actually get to play games or just look at stuff and go to panels? Thanks for information you can give us so we can better plan when we get there.

Depends on what your goals are. If you plan on trying the bigger titles (Des2ny, Super Mario Odyssey), then plan on spending a lot of time in lines and to play their demos. Smaller indie games will be spread around and mostly readily playable with relatively little waiting required.

A panel schedule will be available several weeks before the event, so you can plan out which ones you want to attend with the same rule for waiting in lines as games (Bigger title/guests = longer wait in line/earlier cap). Following the @PAX_Lines will keep you informed as to what panels are filling up and what % of space is already taken.

• sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    Kdawg wrote: »

Yes to actually playing games, yes to looking at stuff, yes to panels.

You'll most likely spend the entire day on your feet/in line for stuff so pack comfy shoes and/or a collapsible stool.

Expect a lot of people but also the friendliest people you'll possibly ever meet.

• jetuserjetuser Registered User new member

That's actually not quite true, in all the years I've gone with a medical badge there's always been a 6th floor medical lineup. This is especially true on Friday and for sure Friday is on the 6th floor due to medcial early access. Its not put down on the paperwork as they do'nt want a rush of people trying to line up there and keep it "need to know basis" from what I was told. I found out about it by being told by my reed expo contact (I request ASL interpreters) where to go for lineup every day. All the building security and enforcers by the elevator and on the 6th floor know to let you in and I've never had issues in the past.

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    So I've been seeing information passed around about prop guns requiring an orange tip.

Is this a new law passed in Washington?
    When I attempted to google it, I only saw mention of airsoft guns requiring an orange tip - and airsoft guns are not allowed at PAX anyhow.

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    It might be a PAX-specific rule or a con-centre specific rule.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
This discussion has been closed.