As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Here a Kid, There a Kid, Everywhere there's a [Kids] Thread

19495969798100»

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Hey, Max and Ruby was one of the few shows that I didn't mind watching with my daughter when she was young. I wanted to strangle Caillou though so bad. Although I think I might trade for both to be rid of all the Minecraft Youtube watching. South Park was right, I'm a grandpa because I don't understand why she just doesn't PLAY Minecraft instead. It's not like we don't have it available on nearly every device in the house.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    My oldest absolutely loves unpacking videos, especially for Disney toys. There seems to be one woman specifically who does these, and does all the "voices" for the characters, and her voice cuts through me like a goddamn knife- I think she's a monster.

"And who's in this mystery egg...it's Owlette! She's got a pink cape, and she's super cute. Wow! Cool! Paw Patrol is on a roll!"

And my eldest ohhs and ahhs and I just want to die or put my head in a wall

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Nursery has just broken up for the summer and Freddie's report folder has come back with him for us to read through.

Apparently whilst he's doing generally ok (it must be hard to judge him as he just wants to spend his days playing outside and doesn't really like doing the proscribed stuff) he's apparently awful at technology. We've been trying to keep him off the iPad or our phones and always played with more traditional toys with him rather than rely on apps to keep him occupied but apparently whilst that's done wonders for his imaginative play he's now classed as being behind because he can't work a cd player or a remote control.

So I guess it's time to spend those rainy days in front of a TV so he's prepared for September? Emma's bought a bunch of the Toca Boca games on the iPad to get some practice in.

Maybe it's time that if he wants to watch something we need to let him figure out the remote? Last time that happened he ended up finding that awful cartoon about the rabbits constantly being left without adult supervision.

How old is Freddie? This is crazy to me, to think that a child needs more tech time because they can't use a remote.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    4 in September.

To be fair we don't own a cd player so that's one task he would never have had exposure to. And we watch TV through DisneyLife or Netflix, or when something isn't available on that off my Plex box where all my Blu-ray's have been format shifted into.

He can't use a remote but he can sure point the wireless mouse at what he wants to watch..

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    My daughter loves doing animal sounds. She can do cow, duck, cat, etc. But my favourite is 'shark', because I've taught her that sharks go 'na na, na na'. Which you might recognize as the Jaws theme.

She's also learned to pull up my shirt and poke me in the belly while going 'woo hoo', which I thought was hilarious at the time and I regret more and more as time goes on, but you can't have everything.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Mom2Kat wrote: »
    IkAq63w.jpg

So this is my oldest. She turns 16 in August. She has been shooting competitively for a year and a half now after finding out we have a sporting rifle club in town. As of Saturday she is on our provincial junior team. I could not be more proud of her. She starts her final 2 years of high school in September with a goal of getting a sociology or psychology degree then joining the RCMP. She will be the corps sergeant major of her army cadet corps this year as well. I love the young lady she's turning into.

am I crazy so is she shaking hands with Gordon Campbell

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Nope her coach Darryl Craig. Gordon Campbell is smaller but also from Powell river
    Edit I got Gordon Campbell and Gordon Wilson is from Powell river like us

Mom2Kat on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Parenting is weird. My six year old got pretty mad at me because I wouldn't get her Five Nights at Freddy's toys because she's never played the games and literally doesn't know what they are, except that she's seen the characters on a friend's shirt at school and they seem fun.

There's no good way to explain that yes, the animatronics look like they should be fun for kids, but the whole game is about them murdering you, so I just said that the games were too scary for her and there was no good reason for her to have the toys.

Truly I am history's greatest monster.

mrpaku wrote: »
    My oldest absolutely loves unpacking videos, especially for Disney toys. There seems to be one woman specifically who does these, and does all the "voices" for the characters, and her voice cuts through me like a goddamn knife- I think she's a monster.

"And who's in this mystery egg...it's Owlette! She's got a pink cape, and she's super cute. Wow! Cool! Paw Patrol is on a roll!"

And my eldest ohhs and ahhs and I just want to die or put my head in a wall

Ah yes, I forgot about those. My daughter hasn't watched any of those in awhile. Yes, some of the YouTube personalities have the most annoying voices to adult ears. Do children do this on purpose? I mean, I hear the Smurfs now and realize why my parents hated the show. Maybe I'm better off keeping my PC in the basement.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It's like a completely different child today.
    Yesterday she slept most of the day in my arms and wanted to do nothing else.

Today, she's trying to play with all her toys all at once.

Ah, the restorative powers of sleep.

She's even packed up her school bag and is waving bye to me.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My wife had an article published in The Spinoff Parents!
    I’ve got two young boys; the oldest is four and the youngest is 18 months. I love my boys to pieces, and they are demonstrably the most wonderful children who have ever existed (fight me!). I’m so proud and yes, grateful, to be their mum. But motherhood, well, sometimes that’s pretty rubbish.

To paraphrase Emily, “We are grateful, now give us the support we need to do our damn jobs!”

If you worked somewhere where the employment pay and conditions were as terrible as they are for motherhood, you would join your union and fight for better support and conditions. No one questions whether police officers or teachers love their job when they strike for more support so they can do their job well. But when mothers complain about how hard motherhood is, suddenly it is the mothers who are at fault and not society. Sadly there is no “Mothers Union” to fight on our behalf.

*The Spinoff is like a NZ web media news opinion thing. It's got a reasonable following, particularly amongst the tech-savvy and tragically hip.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Peen wrote: »
    Parenting is weird. My six year old got pretty mad at me because I wouldn't get her Five Nights at Freddy's toys because she's never played the games and literally doesn't know what they are, except that she's seen the characters on a friend's shirt at school and they seem fun.

There's no good way to explain that yes, the animatronics look like they should be fun for kids, but the whole game is about them murdering you, so I just said that the games were too scary for her and there was no good reason for her to have the toys.

Truly I am history's greatest monster.

I don't see any harm in her having them, if she doesn't find them scary.

Their associations with the game is clearly meaningless to her.

They're just toys to her.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'd love to keep talking about this, in case the thread locks shortly after this, buuuut:

You can't divorce a thing from its context, even for little kids. My wife and I have decided that our 6 and 4 year old are too young for Five Nights at Freddy's so they don't get to play the games or have the toys or wear the clothes or whatever. She may not like it but she at least knows that piece of media is Not Ok by Mommy and Daddy's standards, period and end of discussion (for now). I don't want a well meaning grandparent to download the game for her because she has the toys and surely that must mean we're ok with it, which my child is extremely capable of orchestrating and already has but with stuff like Sophie the First.

And that's not to say I think my daughter is somehow being malicious, I don't. But kids will absolutely try to manipulate the adults around them to get what they want and if you don't believe that's true then go hang out with some kids for a day or two because it is 100% true.

Every parent has to decide for themselves what their content standards are; my wife and I are relatively strict now, when the kids are young, because we feel like media should mostly have some benefit for them and there's so much that's good out there to choose from. We're letting them have more control over what they watch and wear as they get older and if she were 10 and not 6 this would be a completely different conversation but right now it's a firm no.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Huh, the new word of the day she's learned is 'clock'.

Which is fine, except she has trouble pronouncing the cl part.

Cue her repeatingly pointing to dial clocks and saying 'cock cock cock'

Must resist urge to laugh.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Niko does the same thing with his crocs

"Oh, my cock fell off!"

And my parents give me grief for making sure my daughter says "washer" not "wersher". This is why people! It starts with "wersher" and next thing you know cocks everywhere!

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Well we've been using the proper terminology with James and the other he was messing around with a toy car while I was getting him dressed and I told him "Quit driving your car on your penis."

So now he's absolutely delighted to tell people that "I'm driving a car on my penis."

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    We're at my wife's parents for a family reunion. They did a new version of a picture they took thirty years ago- that had nearly everyone in the family in it, and my wife as a baby. New version also had myself and my two sons

...as well as the third one. Couple days later, my wife calls me into the house to show me a positive pregnancy test. Two lines, although the first one was super faint, (more last night than this morning). So I guess our whole family was in the updated reunion shot, which should be a good story to retell :D

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Niko does the same thing with his crocs

"Oh, my cock fell off!"

Jaina misses"fox" all the time. It's hilarious.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular