As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Obamacare repeal]: McConnell fails to pass disastrous bill. Country sighs in relief.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    so the senate vote on this mystery bill is in a day and no one has seen it?

no CBO score?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Bill Kristol is professionally wrong about things.

Now we are well and truly fucked.

Kristol's prediction could only be correct if a dozen Republican senators have decided they wish to publicly and clearly spit in McConnell's face.

That's not going to happen. Whatever McConnell puts on the floor at hour 20+ is going to pass.

Why a dozen? They have 52. They can't pass with 40, they can just block anything with 41.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I know other countries have political parties that are at odds, but are we the only one where a major one is populated by literally evil people?

Passage would also mean the one thing he's been commonly understood to be right about - if the GOP ever let Democrats pass a health care bill it would be almost impossible to repeal once it got established - would actually be wrong.

I would say that the ACA never actually got established. If every state made an exchange and focused on advertising and outreach to get people to sign up I think things would be very different today.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If he really wanted to kill the bill he'd have voted No today.

He didn't though, because he wants to pass.

Like I said, McCain will toe the line because he's McCain. If you want Cincinnatus in your senate, you have to vote for them, America, not hold up Lawful Evil to the stand and pretend like maybe they'll be it if you really wish them to not be.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    I know other countries have political parties that are at odds, but are we the only one where a major one is populated by literally evil people?

Passage would also mean the one thing he's been commonly understood to be right about - if the GOP ever let Democrats pass a health care bill it would be almost impossible to repeal once it got established - would actually be wrong.

I would say that the ACA never actually got established. If every state made an exchange and focused on advertising and outreach to get people to sign up I think things would be very different today.

The Majority Leader's (and Rand Paul's) home state is the great ACA success story.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Trump's hot take on the bill passing (ABC reporter)

He either forgot how many senators there are, never knew in the first place, or can't subtract.

He then went on to threaten the "no" votes.
    "We had two Republican that went against us, which is very sad, I think, it's very very sad, for them."

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

Kristol's prediction could only be correct if a dozen Republican senators have decided they wish to publicly and clearly spit in McConnell's face.

That's not going to happen. Whatever McConnell puts on the floor at hour 20+ is going to pass.

I could only see that being the case if it's the skinny repeal, then you get the far right on by saying "it's not what we wanted but it's a start."

Anything else? Especially since it needs to be an option that's already been scored, or they're stuck waiting.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

no CBO score?

Yeah.

What's the problem?

• Options

The Majority Leader's (and Rand Paul's) home state is the great ACA success story.

I know that. I mean every state.

• Options

no CBO score?

There's sort of a score on the 2015 bill, because it got scored back then so we have a rough estimate of what that would look like. And it's very, very bad. 32 million lose their insurance, premiums double in ten years, and it raises the deficit by about 60% from Obama's last year.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Would it? Even Texas who never did a single thing to help the ACA has over 2 million people who will lose coverage under the house bill.

That is greater than the margin of victory for both sitting US Senators from Texas. It wouldn't matter if it was 2 million or 10 million, a black man did a thing that raised taxes on the ultra rich and helped poor people and that means it must be stamped out at any and all cost.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

He either forgot how many senators there are, never knew in the first place, or can't subtract.

""We had two Republican that went against us, which is very sad, I think, it's very very sad, for them.""

Christ. It's like he has two options before him. Take a second to research a very-easy-to-find fact or just spout off something stupid. AND HE CHOOSES STUPID EVERY GOD DAMN TIME.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular

"We had two Republican that went against us, which is very sad, I think, it's very very sad, for them."

Also wasn't it 50 with pence breaking the tie?

It's fail all the way down

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

Por que no los dos?

Cog on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Cornyn says the first vote is BCRA + Cruz Amendment. Rand Paul got played for a sucker. (Surprise!)

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Costa realized he was being had after being hammered over those tweets

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Cornyn says the first vote is BCRA + Cruz Amendment. Rand Paul got played for a sucker. (Surprise!)

I'm sure he knew exactly what was going to happen. He doesn't actually care about his libertarian nonsense, it's just a useful prop.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I just called Graham. Got an actual intern or whatever for Scott. I didn't even know what to say.

I told her I can't even articulate what I'm mad about with this because NOBODY FUCKING KNOWS WHAT THEY JUST VOTED TO MOVE FORWARD ON.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    costa tweet

And still doesn't seem to understand the ENORMOUS hypocrisy.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

You know this is bullshit too Costa. We know what you really think, you loved the theater and only want to keep getting clicks from lefties. Ice up, you're done.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Who gives a fuck if its unpopular. Its not consequential, its murderous.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017

He is deeply embarrassing

I am feeling every ounce of the shame that he should be, but is not, feeling himself

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    im glad the democratic party's reaction to the house bill passing was to dance and sing because there's no way itll actually get passed into law

our senators seem to be having a more appropriate reaction

override367 on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    im glad the democratic party's reaction to the house bill passing was to dance and sing because there's no way itll actually get passed into law

Just think of all the seats they're going to win!

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

I'm sure he knew exactly what was going to happen. He doesn't actually care about his libertarian nonsense, it's just a useful prop.

I think he's just a moron.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Insert Nazi joke here only I can't actually make a joke because they're not a major party anymore while Republicans seem to be making a go at stealing their thunder.

The fact anyone can applaud this sort of thing is genuinely baffling. What logic supports it? How utterly twisted is their mind that facts and truth cannot penetrate? These people claim to be Christian even as they go against the teachings they claim to uphold at every possible opportunity. Yet they have no problem holding that stance, ignoring any evidence to the contrary, and when it all comes crashing down they'll ignore the ones responsible to point their fingers at those who tried to stop it.

How do you even begin to fight ignorance when people seem content clinging to it?

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Its one thing for him to not know how many people are in the Senate. I didn't know that when I was five, either.

But he just sent his VP down there to make a TIE BREAKING VOTE adding +1 to 50, and he can't figure out how many votes were against.

Viskod on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Christ, this is embarrassing.

Like we all heard that shit too, man.

God, I don't know. I feel like McCain could go up there and literally advocate a swift kick to the genitals for everyone in the US ... despite how terrible the process would be... :'( and get a cheering section.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Christ, this is embarrassing.

Like we all heard that shit too, man.

God, I don't know. I feel like McCain could go up there and literally advocate a swift kick to the genitals for everyone in the US ... despite how terrible the process would be... :'( and get a cheering section.

he did

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Well, if you're asking us...

95f92yxfgwqe.png
    Sorry, just me injecting a little international levity into the conversation. But there was a time where we in the United States considered them evil before the current ruling party entrenched itself.

That's an argument to make, but the problem is you can potentially apply that to any new law. There's no doubt that the ACA would look different very different had every state established an exchange, and every state gone through on the Medicaid expansion (that alone would've radically change the healthcare landscape of this country, even without the ACA), and if the exemptions to the individual mandate hadn't been implemented to compromise, etc.

But the last government was, I think, fairly pragmatic in that area at least. I don't think they really thought that they'd get their ideal vision of the ACA implemented in every state even at the beginning, much less when it ended up being passed without any Republican 'yes' votes. Given the way the ACA was structured too, and its essence as a state-to-state system, it's really hard to imagine it not being passed as at least some form of a geographic compromise (the kind that still makes its detractors fly into a spittle-emitting incoherent rage).

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Full disclosure, the Democrats' reaction to this shitshow is not really on my radar at the moment. Everything I'm currently feeling is pure, distilled rage at Republicans for having the gall to methodically mutilate our democracy so the 1% can afford their third blimp or what the fuck ever.

My thought process right now is basically "end those guys" and that's pretty much it.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Was.

• Options
    Full disclosure, the Democrats' reaction to this shitshow is not really on my radar at the moment. Everything I'm currently feeling is pure, distilled rage at Republicans for having the gall to methodically mutilate our democracy so the 1% can afford their third blimp or what the fuck ever.

My thought process right now is basically "end those guys" and that's pretty much it.

Friend, I have some bad news for you.

About who was cheering for McCain.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Was.

Yeah, was. The people of that state then turned around and said "Fuck me? No, fuck me!"

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular

no CBO score?

without a CBO score, they can't use reconciliation right?

which means they need 60 votes or to nuke the senate?

• Options

Seriously. They opposed it en masse in both houses, including their vulnerable members in Trump friendly areas. Fuck all the other stuff that theater critics love.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I wasn't following things as it went down live but in taking a quick peek at the net, am I to understand that the Senate, Democrats included, applauded McCain voting 'yes' to proceed?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Friend, I have some bad news for you.

About who was cheering for McCain.

He got an apparently awkward hug from Bernie Sanders.

Of course, Sanders is 76. At that age you may be obligated to awkwardly hug anyone who returns with to work with a diagnosis of brain cancer.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    NBC News person:

This is some of the most foolish shit. Treating a massive change to the law as something to get it over with as quickly as possible so they can immediately forget about it instead of taking the time to get it right.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Call your representatives.

Protest - actually disrupt and shut shit down, block roads, get your body in politicians' offices.

Divest from entities that support Republican elections or causes.

This discussion has been closed.