As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Dumber Camp, Part Three

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Dumber Camp, Part Three

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• d.TFFoSd.TFFoS Registered User regular
    He better not be dissing maple bars.

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    "Mine was way worse, because it happened to me" is the most Gabe line ever. Indeed, the Gabiest.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    When I saw it earlier, I didn't notice the trickle of blood. Is Gabe about to go all Scanners on us? Firestarter, maybe?

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    When I saw it earlier, I didn't notice the trickle of blood. Is Gabe about to go all Scanners on us? Firestarter, maybe?

Why do psychic powers always make your brain bleed? I mean, it's not like thinking super hard makes your brain bleed.

Sadgasm wrote: »

Why do psychic powers always make your brain bleed? I mean, it's not like thinking super hard makes your brain bleed.

Yeah, but no matter hard I've tried when I was a kid, I've never managed to set anything on fire with my mind. I'm not sure it's comparable. Maybe it's a bit like saying that running a marathon is "walking really hard."

• taodetechtaodetech Registered User new member

First time caller, long time listener: great topic, love the show (first post, hope I'm doing the quote thing correctly).
    I'd have to hear the podcast for this, but do you suppose it was meant to be an inverse of this one: https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/04/09 ?

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Maybe he just caught a glimpse of a harem in the hot springs unwittingly?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular

Yeah, but no matter hard I've tried when I was a kid, I've never managed to set anything on fire with my mind. I'm not sure it's comparable. Maybe it's a bit like saying that running a marathon is "walking really hard."

It just seems like kind of a massive drawback to a beneficial mutation. I get maybe getting really bad migraines or something, but rupturing your blood vessels every time you exert your powers seems like it'd cancel out their effectiveness.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Before I noticed the donuts in the picture, for whatever reason I didn't even think of that kind of maple bars. I was thinking he had been sat down with blocks of wood with the intention that eventually he would learn to whittle. Although I don't think anyone calls wood "bars".

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Before I noticed the donuts in the picture, for whatever reason I didn't even think of that kind of maple bars. I was thinking he had been sat down with blocks of wood with the intention that eventually he would learn to whittle. Although I don't think anyone calls wood "bars".

And yet many bars are wooden by design.

Really makes you think.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure this is Gabe's view on him crying at camp and the counselor's not knowing how to make him feel better, so just letting him sit in the kitchen with treats in the hopes it calms him down.

Which in child Gabe's view was some sort of punishment torture. Perfect.

What is this I don't even.
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

First case I know of it is Firestarter, which came out in 1980. There sure could be earlier examples, but that one very likely popularized it.

It just seems like kind of a massive drawback to a beneficial mutation. I get maybe getting really bad migraines or something, but rupturing your blood vessels every time you exert your powers seems like it'd cancel out their effectiveness.

Enh, psychic powers are pretty much magic. I'm not sure evolutionary logic applies. :biggrin: It's mainly just a literary/theatrical device to take some of the edge off of godlike powers, keeping the protagonist a vulnerable human you can relate to.

Of course, if you did want to go that route, plenty of beneficial mutations have downsides. Because of our big brains, humans are much more dangerous to birth. Sickle cell anemia is the result of having two copies of a beneficial mutation that protects again malaria. There's research to suggest that color blindness may make it easier to spot food and animals that would otherwise be camouflaged.

• likesorangelikesorange Registered User new member
    A plate of maple bars? Sign me up for that camp right now!

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

Enh, psychic powers are pretty much magic. I'm not sure evolutionary logic applies. :biggrin: It's mainly just a literary/theatrical device to take some of the edge off of godlike powers, keeping the protagonist a vulnerable human you can relate to.

Of course, if you did want to go that route, plenty of beneficial mutations have downsides. Because of our big brains, humans are much more dangerous to birth. Sickle cell anemia is the result of having two copies of a beneficial mutation that protects again malaria. There's research to suggest that color blindness may make it easier to spot food and animals that would otherwise be camouflaged.

My grandad had a version of color blindness that ended up giving him an uncanny tier of nightvision; seriously, he could count the leaves on a tree that other people couldn't even see after nightfall.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

My grandad had a version of color blindness that ended up giving him an uncanny tier of nightvision; seriously, he could count the leaves on a tree that other people couldn't even see after nightfall.

That's way better than my tier of colorblindness which just makes me unable to read the logo for the production company of the new kingsman movie.

Seriously, who thought an actual Ishihara test was a good way to present information you presumably want people to know?

steam_sig.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

How did anyone check to see if he was right?

H9f4bVe.png
    Golden Yak wrote: »

What, you're suggesting someone's granddad might play a trick on them? Surely you jest, sir.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

What, you're suggesting someone's granddad might play a trick on them? Surely you jest, sir.

Being colorblind let him see ghosts too.

YoungFrey wrote: »

Being colorblind let him see ghosts too.

Well, certain ghosts. If you catch my drift.

• Adam DuckieAdam Duckie Registered User regular
    Summer camps are darned wild.