As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spec Ops: The Line] Good Story, Bro!

1212223242527»

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Before they made a Spec Ops game the Spec Ops franchise was almost literally the worst military shooter franchise in the world. So, maybe they'll do something interesting. But we'll see. Without the same writer as Spec Ops there's no reason to think things will be amazing, and I guess that guy isn't back for this game, is he?

Hey, Yager made two reasonably good games so far. Benefit of the doubt and all that. Also that is just downplaying the work of other people on that project.

C2B on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Yager announced their F2P title as well

BpuSLgXCIAYMK2L.jpg

Going somewhat back to their roots i see.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Dead Island 2 had a very comedic looking tone from the trailer and one I am not sorry to see actually.

I just hope we don't get another fucking torso statue...

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Hey all, @cB557 gifted me a copy of Spec Ops: The Line in the Steam thread so I could do a blind run for the thread community. He recommended that I post a link to it in this thread too. If you wanted to watch for whatever reason (assuming you all played it already), you can check it out here.

P.S. I immediately watched the Extra Credits episodes with the stream afterwards, very interesting stuff.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    What's Extra Credits?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    What's Extra Credits?

A youtube show where they give game design advice, critique games, and examples of interesting games that you might not have heard of.

Here's the Spec Ops episodes:

Part 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjaBsuXWJJ8

Part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJZIhcCA2lk

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    What'd you think of the game?

Or have you not finished it? I'm on my phone, so I can't do much with twitch.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    What'd you think of the game?

Or have you not finished it? I'm on my phone, so I can't do much with twitch.

I thought it was great. It was a pretty typical shooter, but after watching the extra credits episodes and talking about it with the steam thread and my viewers, I definitely appreciate it a lot more. I did notice all the things that it was doing but none of it really clicked to why it was doing it until the ending. I wouldn't call it a "feels" game as many stream threaders made it out to be, but it's definitely made me think which is good enough for me.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Thank you for the videos!

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    So I thought I'd resurrect the thread for this pretty excellent game because I'm just reading this piece from Cracked that has a good amount of interesting input from Walt Williams, the writer of Spec Ops:
    http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2172-no-trans-characters-6-realities-writing-video-games.html

although now I'm looking at the original title it had from that URL and that's absolutely not a topic that gets addressed. Wonder what happened in editing...

forumsig.png
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    That was a pretty good read!

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Has anyone played a game that was as gripping as spec-ops the line since it has been released?

Life is Strange is up there for me but certainly on a much less harrowing level.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darleysam wrote: »
    So I thought I'd resurrect the thread for this pretty excellent game because I'm just reading this piece from Cracked that has a good amount of interesting input from Walt Williams, the writer of Spec Ops:
    http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2172-no-trans-characters-6-realities-writing-video-games.html

although now I'm looking at the original title it had from that URL and that's absolutely not a topic that gets addressed. Wonder what happened in editing...

I sympathize so much with what he's written there.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Has anyone played a game that was as gripping as spec-ops the line since it has been released?

Life is Strange is up there for me but certainly on a much less harrowing level.
    Undertale, maybe? The genocide run in that reminds me a lot of spec ops, actually.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons hit me really hard to the point that i'm not sure i could play through it again.

• Options
    It goes without saying, but That Dragon: Cancer will utterly ruin your day. Firewatch also has a very good narrative, even if it arguably fumbles the narrative towards the end of the game.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    cB557 wrote: »

Undertale, maybe? The genocide run in that reminds me a lot of spec ops, actually.

Oh! Yeah dang Undertale definitely hits the mark in every regard. Takes typical gameplay and then subverts it in a way that points out the atypical nature of the deeds.

I wonder if there was any influence.
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons hit me really hard to the point that i'm not sure i could play through it again.

I just realized this game is not Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery. I never looked further into it because I thought it was a game I already played and couldn't get into.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

I just realized this game is not Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery. I never looked further into it because I thought it was a game I already played and couldn't get into.

well its available on Steam as well as both last gen and current gen consoles if you ever do feel like giving it a go. should be able to pick it up fairly cheap at this point to i think.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »

It's pretty ironically appropriate that a story about compromises with budgets, bosses, and time limits clearly had some heavy editing done to the point where the title doesn't make sense anymore.

• Options
    so this popped up and i thought a few here might be interested. the guy has done a few of these vids on the Mass Effect and Halo games and they've been pretty interesting all round.

https://youtu.be/8dzstxE_5Rc

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    43 minutes of Spec Ops retrospective?

Worth it.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky