As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ninja [Chat] Party

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    navgoose wrote: »
    Nobody said you were lying Pony. I agree with what you are saying if you acknowledge you can't speak in absolutes like that. There have been panhandlers by choice. Do I think they have unfairly helped tarnish the opinion of homeless people in general? Yes...?

How are you defining "by choice"?

Did they have a house, a good job, decent standard of living, and say "y'know, fuck the rat race, I'm gonna panhandle down at the corner!"

Can you give me a single example of what you are talking about and elaborate?

Because this sounds very "welfare queen" to me bro

i had a roommate who paid rent for a summer by busking instead of getting a minimum wage job

but i don't really consider busking and panhandling to be the same thing

Nor do I.

he was also dating a one-legged stripper at the time and she would hop out between songs and have people put money in her fake leg

so like

it was a whole production kinda

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Argument from authority argument time!

I've worked in homeless shelters for years. I've also been homeless, as has my mother. There is no such thing as professional panhandlers, or professional homeless people, or people who "want to be homeless", or "rich hobos", or the homeless guy who makes hundreds of dollars an hour from begging, or any of that other fucking bullshit that people tell themselves or have been told to make themselves feel better about not giving a shit about the homeless.

A massive chunk of the homeless population are people you never encounter. They are not people on the street. They are people in shelters, hostels, halfway houses, and other charity institutions and social systems that support them. They are people crashing on their friends' couches for a little while until they get stuff together. These people are the "invisible" homeless and they represent mostly people who are just fuckin' poor or are in situations that are toxic or desperate and they ended up with no fixed address (leaving abusive situations, losing everything in a fire with no insurance, etc.). Most of these people have just gotten fucked over by life in some way and are trying to get their shit together.

But when you say "homeless" what most people think of is street homeless, people who live and sleep and beg on the street, and you encounter in your everyday life. The overwhelming majority of these people, like somewhere north of 90%, are mentally ill in some capacity. Co-morbid to this, many of them also have substance abuse problems, because you try living on the street like they do and not having a substance abuse problem.

Because most of these people are mentally ill, many of them have behaviors, mechanisms, issues, and problems that make it extremely difficult for them to function in "normal" society and for them to hold down jobs, acquire and retain a place to live, etc. Even if all these opportunities are presented to them by things like social outreach programs, without sufficient mental health support, their ability to actually utilize those opportunities in a lasting way is very minimal in most cases because the demons that put them on the street in the first place are still gonna be there.

There are people who, having been in this state for an extended period of time, have adapted very specific and sometimes quite elaborate survival strategies for doing what they can. When you see the guy who has a shopping cart full of cans to turn in for pittances, you might think "Why doesn't that guy just get a job, he clearly can do work and knows how to like, form a route and get paid and shit", you are missing the whole fuckin point of why that dude is at a point in his life of why he is comfortable digging through garbage to find soda cans to turn in.

Yeah I agree with all of this.

Yes, agree.

Was/am the poor dude staying with friends. Was the guy living in his illegal car.

I also watched a bunch of crustpunks from middle/upper-middle class homes ride trains and panhandle and busk over in Portland. It was trendy as hell in Eastern Oregon for a few years.

"I lived on the streets, maaaan, I know what it's like out there."

Not without mommy and daddy's plastic, they fuckin didn't.

Professional panhandlers exist. They're called Crusties.

That's a different thing.

That's "poor" like the fuckin' idiots in Rent are "poor".

That's poverty tourism. If that's a person's argument for the existence of professional panhandlers that's like saying Bigfoot exists because there's Bigfoot cosplayers.

Pony on
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I keep hearing good things about Pyre

@Evil Multifarious explain yourself! I know nothing about it, and attempting to learn more illuminates ... little.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Nobody said you were lying Pony. I agree with what you are saying if you acknowledge you can't speak in absolutes like that. There have been panhandlers by choice. Do I think they have unfairly helped tarnish the opinion of homeless people in general? Yes...?

Did they have a house, a good job, decent standard of living, and say "y'know, fuck the rat race, I'm gonna panhandle down at the corner!"

i had a roommate who paid rent for a summer by busking instead of getting a minimum wage job

Nor do I.

he was also dating a one-legged stripper at the time and she would hop out between songs and have people put money in her fake leg

so like

Was her name Ilene?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Brought up the idea of a composting toilet to my wife and a yurt and she was like "husband pls...."

it's a miracle she hasn't killed you yet. where did you find the foolhardy courage to even suggest this?

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    On a larger view, people who defraud various public services do exist (in disproportionately tiny numbers) but some people do latch onto these examples and imagine them as far more prevalent, I think largely to sell bumper stickers

I think this inordinate fear of people taking advantage of charitable leanings applies to homeless people quite naturally, if illogically (much like refugee talking points, "why would someone choose to live in such abject horror?" doesn't seem to cross people's minds)

See also: Welfare queens

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    i find it funny how many people who run thirty feet to their cars because it's drizzling out think it's easy being homeless

It's not that.
    It's the idea that a beggar also has a $200k house because begging is so lucrative, somehow

If begging is so lucrative why do only poor people do it?

I think you hit on an important factor, here

The same people who think begging is lucrative think that there's value in a minimum wage job above and beyond the pay; poors should be grateful that they're saved from the indignity of panhandling, even though they'd make more money, and are able to enjoy Honest Work.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

If panhandling were at all lucrative you'd think somebody on these boards would do it professionally. We have a pretty big slice of the anglosphere represented here

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Wow, Ozark is some really good, weird shit

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Nor do I.

so like

Was her name Ilene?

let's just say it was because i don't remember

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    yeah, deffo shouldn't blend the homeless and buskers.

Many buskers have permits and schedules and shit in NYC, it is a legit way to make money, if not very glamorous.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    there's a guy here who, if you get out early enough" you'll see him sprinting carrying a wheelchair to the median of atlanta highway and when you come by later he'll be sitting in it pretending to be paralyzed asking for money to the people stopped at the intersection. if people arent buying he'll roll himself out into the turn lane and block traffic until the police show up
    then he'll pick up his wheelchair again and book it.
    he's been doing it for years. someone will drop him off at the shopping center nearby and go from there.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Argument from authority argument time!

I've worked in homeless shelters for years. I've also been homeless, as has my mother. There is no such thing as professional panhandlers, or professional homeless people, or people who "want to be homeless", or "rich hobos", or the homeless guy who makes hundreds of dollars an hour from begging, or any of that other fucking bullshit that people tell themselves or have been told to make themselves feel better about not giving a shit about the homeless.

A massive chunk of the homeless population are people you never encounter. They are not people on the street. They are people in shelters, hostels, halfway houses, and other charity institutions and social systems that support them. They are people crashing on their friends' couches for a little while until they get stuff together. These people are the "invisible" homeless and they represent mostly people who are just fuckin' poor or are in situations that are toxic or desperate and they ended up with no fixed address (leaving abusive situations, losing everything in a fire with no insurance, etc.). Most of these people have just gotten fucked over by life in some way and are trying to get their shit together.

But when you say "homeless" what most people think of is street homeless, people who live and sleep and beg on the street, and you encounter in your everyday life. The overwhelming majority of these people, like somewhere north of 90%, are mentally ill in some capacity. Co-morbid to this, many of them also have substance abuse problems, because you try living on the street like they do and not having a substance abuse problem.

Because most of these people are mentally ill, many of them have behaviors, mechanisms, issues, and problems that make it extremely difficult for them to function in "normal" society and for them to hold down jobs, acquire and retain a place to live, etc. Even if all these opportunities are presented to them by things like social outreach programs, without sufficient mental health support, their ability to actually utilize those opportunities in a lasting way is very minimal in most cases because the demons that put them on the street in the first place are still gonna be there.

There are people who, having been in this state for an extended period of time, have adapted very specific and sometimes quite elaborate survival strategies for doing what they can. When you see the guy who has a shopping cart full of cans to turn in for pittances, you might think "Why doesn't that guy just get a job, he clearly can do work and knows how to like, form a route and get paid and shit", you are missing the whole fuckin point of why that dude is at a point in his life of why he is comfortable digging through garbage to find soda cans to turn in.

Yeah I agree with all of this.

Yes, agree.

Was/am the poor dude staying with friends. Was the guy living in his illegal car.

I also watched a bunch of crustpunks from middle/upper-middle class homes ride trains and panhandle and busk over in Portland. It was trendy as hell in Eastern Oregon for a few years.

"I lived on the streets, maaaan, I know what it's like out there."

Not without mommy and daddy's plastic, they fuckin didn't.

Professional panhandlers exist. They're called Crusties.

That's a different thing.

That's "poor" like the fuckin' idiots in Rent are "poor".

That's poverty tourism. If that's a person's argument for the existence of professional panhandlers that's like saying Bigfoot exists because there's Bigfoot cosplayers.

Its not poverty if you can end it at any time.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Nor do I.

so like

that is aggressively college

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    If your beef is with the term "professional panhandler" I retract my use of it.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Brought up the idea of a composting toilet to my wife and a yurt and she was like "husband pls...."

it's a miracle she hasn't killed you yet. where did you find the foolhardy courage to even suggest this?

1) I love the new avatar

2) I like to chum the water and then swim with sharks

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

If panhandling were at all lucrative you'd think somebody on these boards would do it professionally. We have a pretty big slice of the anglosphere represented here

quite aside from the panhandling: say what

where are the 49/50/51ish of trumpotrons/brexiteers etc on this board

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    there's a guy here who, if you get out early enough" you'll see him sprinting carrying a wheelchair to the median of atlanta highway and when you come by later he'll be sitting in it pretending to be paralyzed asking for money to the people stopped at the intersection. if people arent buying he'll roll himself out into the turn lane and block traffic until the police show up
    he's been doing it for years. someone will drop him off at the shopping center nearby and go from there.

maybe he's the next david blaine

• Options
    I am a welfare queen

The $9000 / year that I strip away from the state is all ill-gotten gains

We'd better crack down on my $9000 / year, and not the bloated costs encouraged by the military - industrial complex that often balloon into the billions

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    i find it funny how many people who run thirty feet to their cars because it's drizzling out think it's easy being homeless

It's not that.
    It's the idea that a beggar also has a $200k house because begging is so lucrative, somehow

If begging is so lucrative why do only poor people do it?

I think you hit on an important factor, here

The same people who think begging is lucrative think that there's value in a minimum wage job above and beyond the pay; poors should be grateful that they're saved from the indignity of panhandling, even though they'd make more money, and are able to enjoy Honest Work.

Health insurance?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    If your beef is with the term "professional panhandler" I retract my use of it.

It is, because it's a harmful one and insisting they exist hurts people.

So, we're good then.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Standard flush toilets operate off gravity, not pressurized water. Septic tanks are relatively low maintenance and not too bad for the environment if you plan and use them well. If there's one item that should be gorgeous and modern in your primitivist fantasy, make it the bathroom. Poop time is sacred.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    People at work complain about Oregon Trail card users (food stamp program) to no extent. The prevailing opinion is they are all scammers.

Is is harmful. My point is is that because you can't tell a scammers from a legit user from standing behind them in the grocery checkout you shouldn't assume the worst.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    TTODewback wrote: »

maybe he's the next david blaine

The police are here?!
    *waves magic wand*
    I CAN WALK AGAIN
    *sprints away*

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »

they keep getting themselves banned, lmao

• Options
    Standard flush toilets operate of gravity, not pressurized water. Septic tanks are relatively low maintenance and not too bad for the environment if you plan and use them well. If there's one item that should be gorgeous and modern in your primitivist fantasy, make it the bathroom. Poop time is sacred.

you can get compost anywhere

lots of other things poop and fall over and die

you don't have to use your own

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I saw a guy in Memphis park his corvette in a parking lot near an intersection, get out, take his stuff out, then setup in a chair with a "i'm homeless and need money" sign and a dirty jacket.

There's definitely people who do that to make money.

• Options
    Every time I see a legit homless person two things happen:

1) I want to see the gear in their pack

2) I want to give them one of my many packs

• Options
    ronya wrote: »

Aside from the fact that there aren't that many of those people in existence,

There are occasional thems what show up

They don't post in [chat]

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I am a welfare queen

We'd better crack down on my $9000 / year, and not the bloated costs encouraged by the military - industrial complex that often balloon into the billions

Well yeah but can I sail your lack of hunger around the ocean flipping off other countries?

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I saw a guy in Memphis park his corvette in a parking lot near an intersection, get out, take his stuff out, then setup in a chair with a "i'm homeless and need money" sign and a dirty jacket.

yeah, but they're con artists, plain and simple. There's no reason to give them a name that also lumps them in with legitimate homeless people.

They're just working a con

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Every time I see a legit homless person two things happen:

1) I want to see the gear in their pack

2) I want to give them one of my many packs

3) depending on how their clothes look, I sometimes want to ask if they are a hulk or a traveling kung fu warrior.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    People at work complain about Oregon Trail card users (food stamp program) to no extent. The prevailing opinion is they are all scammers.

Is is harmful. My point is is that because you can't tell a scammers from a legit user from standing behind them in the grocery checkout you shouldn't assume the worst.

i live in a lower income part of town and see a lot of EBT shoppers and i have been trying very hard to strike that balance of displaying that i don't judge and i am cool with it and also i'm just totally not even noticing so you aren't uncomfortable

i deserve an award

• Options

yeah, but they're con artists, plain and simple. There's no reason to give them a name that also lumps them in with legitimate homeless people.

They're just working a con

I thought that's what "professional panhandler" was a synonym for basically.

• Options
    Standard flush toilets operate off gravity, not pressurized water. Septic tanks are relatively low maintenance and not too bad for the environment if you plan and use them well. If there's one item that should be gorgeous and modern in your primitivist fantasy, make it the bathroom. Poop time is sacred.

Yeah the only thing a flush toilet really requires over a hole in the ground is a water source.

And if you need to get super conservationy about it graywater is fine for use in a toilet

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I don't even think I'd be okay with the idea of a septic tank; I need a complex infrastructural system that will be obliterated at first sign of societal collapse

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I am a welfare queen

Well yeah but can I sail your lack of hunger around the ocean flipping off other countries?

Yo

I should do that!

• Options

Sure, but I think there's an even stronger point to make, which is that the "scammers" don't actually cost that much.

Here's a little fun fact I like to bust out from time to time:

Back like 15 years ago, when Mike Harris and his Progressive Conservative party ran the Ontario government, Harris made "stopping fraudsters" of the social welfare systems a significant issue.

They introduced a bunch of reforms to the disability support system (ODSP) and the welfare system (Ontario Works) that made them both harder to get, harder to keep, and tried actively to get fraudsters out of the system.

Ostensibly, this was to lower costs to the government, bring down taxes, blah blah blah shithead Conservative talking points.

This dramatically increased workload for those government agencies and programs due to the increased scrutiny needed for current and prospective users of those systems.

Which raised the operating costs of those systems dramatically even while overall usage of those systems stayed the same or even went down because for ODSP especially, many genuine situations where people needed the system were declined.

12 years later, a study and review was done of the amount of money the government saved under the Harris reforms.

Not only did it have no measurable impact on the number of reported fraud cases, it ended up costing more money than had they done absolutely nothing at all.

The idea that the poor actively need to be fought is this insane capitalist idea that poisons nations.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    A formerly-homeless friend gave me the idea of keeping canned soup in the car for panhandlers

I mean, I give money sometimes as well, but soup has benefits. You can leave a can of soup at a panhandling spot for someone to find when they return, even.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    What are you all too good for outhouses now

Compost toilet is some hippie bullshit but I like the idea of a yurt

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.