As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

DrakeDrake Edgelord TrashBelow the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
edited September 2017 in Games and Technology
Doom. Quake. These words evoke images of wrath and destruction. Cracked landscapes of whithered life and shattered civilizations. Across these worlds of smoldering destruction stride avatars of eternal conflict, shotguns in hand. These beings scan the bloodsoaked horizon, searching for the next conflict they can engage. Utilizing reconstructed engines they wage a war against the eldritch unknown, against hell itself. Or maybe they go on a Chex Quest. There's a lot of nuts stuff out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt8kGiFBe_I

Doom and Quake both have amazing communities that span decades of unceasing activity. Whether you are looking for single player or multiplayer content you have a realm of riches before you. So let's discuss source ports, map packs and mods. I'll list a few of my favs for each game to get things started.

Doom Source Ports

GZDoom: The cutting edge for single player content. GZDoom brings OpenGL graphics acceleration and a host of new features.

Chocolate Doom: If you are after a vanilla Doom experience this is it. Everything is lovingly recreated from color pallettes and lighting to bugs for exploitation. It even shows the endoom screen on exit. What nostalgia! This is also a great port for watching old demos that aren't compatible with ZDoom and its many branches and variants, recreating classic speed runs and playing ancient maps from the dawn of modding. They also provide binaries for playing Heretic, Hexen and Strife.

Zandronum: Once upon a time there was Skulltag. It was good and the people rejoiced. Then things happened. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth Zandronum was born, picking up Skulltag's abandoned code and moving forward.

Zdaemon: A ZDoom based client, with server browsing, IRC and other community features. Not just a great multiplayer client but a great community to play with. I'm not sure what the current activity levels are but I still see them promoting events on Doomworld.

PrBoom+: A limit removing source port with great features for speed running and demo recording. Doom with uncapped framerates. Need I say more?

Quake Source Ports

Quakespasm: A Fitzquake branch that is still under development. Lots of great modern features and some nice graphics upgrades. Great for running single player content.

Qbism Super8: An 8bit client for super crunchy pixelated carnage. It's a neat look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvNkK-7rdy4

eZquake/nQuake: A no nonsense quakeworld client for getting your frag on. nQuake is a preconfigured eZquake with some extras like bots.

classicQ: Another quakeworld client that uses Fodquake.

ProQuake: A NetQuake multiplayer client with tons of esport oriented features.

Doom maps, mods and conversions.

This is a partial list that highlights some of the newer stuff that doesn't get a lot of mention outside the Doom community.

Ancient Aliens: This masterpiece comes to us from Skillsaw, a formidable mapper. It's a complete Doom 2 replacement pack of 32 colorful maps and truly exciting gameplay.

Back to Saturn X ep1: A collaboration of community giants, this is the first part of a three episode Doom 2 total conversion. A delectable Doom experience for newcomer and gourmet alike.

Reelism: A total conversion for Doom 2. A little bit Invasion, a little bit Remix Mod. You pick your map and the slot reels spin. The first reel is a gameplay modifier like low gravity or heavy fog. Reel two determines the enemies you face and reel three picks the weapons pack. If fighting Sectoids from XCOM with Wolfenstein 3D weapons and zero gravity in a candy land themed map sounds like a good time then this is your jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BowvffJX68

Community Chest 4: A triumphant collaboration from the Doomworld community. This 32 map megawad has something for everyone.

Quake maps, mods and conversions

Mostly single player stuff here, once again highlighting the gems that don't get much mention outside community circles.

Quoth: Quoth's aim is to extend Quake modding so this is more a foundation for other maps. It does feature a good chunk of its own content, mostly remakes of maps from the classic episodes.

Arcane Dimensions: An alternate Quake universe. Gorgeous mapping and subtle tweaks and changes. A must play partial conversion.

Unforgiven: A three map pack featuring huge battles, new enemies (and some visitors from other games), runes, great geometry and scalding difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hyI1ltUFHo

Dimensions of the Past: A whole new official episode from Machine Games and Bethesda. Free stuff from Bethesda? I think my head might explode. :P

So there we have it. A very slight sampling of the vast vistas of pain that await. I know I didn't mention some stuff, so fill in the gaps. I don't know much about Quake 2 modding for example, more information there would be great. I've focused on the id games classics. Doom, Doom 2 and Quake, but if you have any good stuff for Doom 3, NuDoom or Quake 2,3 or 4 pile it on.

And Now For Some Useful Links
The Doom Wiki
The ZDoom Wiki
The Quake Wiki
Quaddicted
Doomworld
The idgames Archives at Doomworld
Doomshack.org (Their archive of ancient 90s Doom websites is beyond belief)
Doomed: Doom Wad Reviews

Drake on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I bought the new Doom this past weekend and I've been playing through it. I thought the first few levels were fun, but the game really blooms once you've gotten most of the guns and met most of the monsters. When it starts throwing lots of stuff at you and you have lots of stuff to throw back, it's some good old balls to the wall action. There were times when my desire to maximally upgrade my dude was a little frustrating because I'd be doing stupid bullshit to max out the runes or complete the challenges, but now that's all behind me and I'm just straight up murdering demons. Real nice. The game's also super pretty and the matter of fact "yeah so we're getting energy from Hell" is a fun little take on the story. Once I finish the campaign I'm looking forward to checking out this Snapmap thing.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm slowly getting back into this (I got distracted the first time through, and eventually decided to just start over).
    I think I'm on level 10? I've got all the runes, anyway.
    What's this last one about, though? Something about a second chance when you're on critical health? I've been ripping and tearing a little too well, apparently, as I've not come across anything but getting murdered instantly when I died.
    Since getting the runes giving me infinite ammo with 75 armor and armor drops on glory kills, fights haven't really been an issue. Enter room, shoot an unending stream of micro missiles, until the music changes, repeat. Most of my deaths have been from messing up jumps, which I guess that rune won't help with.
    What's a good way to grind out the upgrade for that rune?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Re: grinding out that rune, I haven't unlocked it yet but I worked on the armor one by letting the little zombie guys hit me if I was at full armor. There are also a few spots where you can take damage from fire or such.

I too started playing the new Doom this weekend. I never played the older ones much; I got the original on the 360 and had good fun with that, but that was about it.

This one really is a masterpiece, though. There is something so beautifully simple about Doom guy's wild ride: there are things in your way and so you must shoot them so you can get to more things to shoot. Do you help S. Hayden preserve the research at the risk of further harm to humanoh you've punched it to pieces. Can we shut down the demonic invasion without damaging theoh you blew it up. Portal to hell opens up? Run straight in because there are definitely more things to shoot on the other side.

I was downright irritated when you meet Hayden and aren't allowed to shoot him. I think if they really wanted to have that cutscene you should be allowed to blow him up and have him continue talking over the loudspeaker or something. It felt very jarring to be forced to not shoot something.

I'm already looking forward to the next run through on the higher difficulty; I figure it'll be slower going and thus better suited to combing through the levels for everything rather than just whatever is nearby.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I love QBism Super8. It's like how my heart remembers Quake.

I've always felt that Quake's SP was overshadowed by Doom before it and Quake's Multiplayer after it. There's something about the weird, grungy hodgepodge of Quake that no other game has been able to really capture for me.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

I've always felt that Quake's SP was overshadowed by Doom before it and Quake's Multiplayer after it. There's something about the weird, grungy hodgepodge of Quake that no other game has been able to really capture for me.

Probably because Quake 1's SP was kind of an accident where they meant to make an entirely different game but through creative squabbles, technical and time limitations, they wound up turning it into an FPS.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Quake and Doom have that in common. Both were planned to be RPGs. They all loved Dungeons & Dragons at id.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Probably because Quake 1's SP was kind of an accident where they meant to make an entirely different game but through creative squabbles, technical and time limitations, they wound up turning it into an FPS.

Well it was a wonderful accident that I never played until a few years ago. Once I started it up I didn't want to stop, so I put it on a thumb drive and played it every night at work until I finished both it and it's two expacs. It was so, so good.

JtgVX0H.png
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I always revisit these games time and again. Never get boring and the content is seemingly endless.

That map pack that was released last year by Machine Games was pretty good, maybe worth adding to the OP.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    Somehow I missed that, I'll have to check it out.

And I'll go ahead and add it to the OP.

Maybe we can combine this and the Quake Champions thread. I've been playing it off and on (FFA only) and I find it fun, but some of the champions seem difficult to use in FFA due to lower health/armor compared to some of the more beefier characters.

edited July 2017
    I don't have any problem with that. I just kinda left that alone because there is already a Quake Champions thread and I wasn't sure if the esports/online players would want to mix it up with the single player/legacy crowd.

Drake on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Tangentially related, I've been listening to the podcast I Don't Even Own a Television, which rakes over books of questionable quality, and it has an episode on the Doom novel. Having not been fortunate enough to read this thing back in the day, it sounds like the most hilariously batshit thing.

edited July 2017
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Tangentially related, I've been listening to the podcast I Don't Even Own a Television, which rakes over books of questionable quality, and it has an episode on the Doom novel. Having not been fortunate enough to read this thing back in the day, it sounds like the most hilariously batshit thing.

Oh man, do they go into the third and fourth books? Thise were some weird ass books to come out of the "Doom" franchise.

Undead Scottsman on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Nah only the first one. Though one of the items on my bucket list is to acquire the entire series and just drench myself in fine Doom literature.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I own all 4 of those! I actually enjoy them on some levels, but yeah, the 3rd and 4th went some... very strange places.

Literally and figuratively.

Edit; between the novels for Doom, Resident Evil, and Halo, I think there's a fairly distinct pattern in terms of what garbage I'm willing to read. Add in the Robotech novelizations and it comes into even sharper focus..

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    So I actually only had the third and fourth books for the longest time. I acquired the first two a few years back but only got around to reading the first. (The second starts off.. a little weird)

The first two books are basically version of Doom 1 or 2, and the first one was fairly faithful to the concepts, though they often go to hilarious levels to explain some of the game mechanics and designs.

The third and fourth books, not being directly based on any game, go completely off the rails and could have easily been rewritten to not have a damn thing to do about Doom. Like..

(Serious spoilers ahead. Don't read if your actually planning on reading the books, because this stuff is something you should see for yourself.
    In the third book, it's revealed that the "demons" were genetically engineered monsters designed after humanities boogeyman's from a thousand years prior, as part of a millennia long philosophical debate among aliens over the nature of existence. Basically, no sapient alien species actually "dies" they just become spirits and wait for a new body to be born. So they're all effectively immortal, but this leads to very slow evolution societal.

Enter humans, who CAN die. One group of aliens (Dubbed the Freds) decides to destroy humanity and creates the demons, as I said based on the monsters humanity believed in. But due to the fact that FTL travel is impossible (just near-light speed, and relativity still applies) so by the time they send their hordes to destroy humanity like a thousand years have gone past, so instead of a superstitious feudal agricultural society, there's a high-tech global society with guns and nukes who can put up a fight. The Freds got caught off guard because humanity's tech level grows at an accelerated rate (possibly due to the fact they actually die.)

The fourth book is even weirder than THAT.

There's a lot of crazy shit to read about Doom and its creation. Doomworld hosts a couple of neat things. The legendary Doom comic and the Doom Bible by Tom Hall. I should probably grab a copy of Masters of Doom sometime.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed Masters of Doom, and would recommend it.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I spent some time in DOOM multi this past weekend, having reset everything after the 6.66 update.

Cool to get to play on the new maps. Had never seen the low-grav one before.

I really, really wish that, considering it's an ongoing joke how many things you can play classic Doom on, I could play classic Doom on my PS4. Where's my Doom collection?

Have a screenshot from Quake mod Arcane Dimensions.

?.jpg

It has that Ep3 Stroggy feel that's the basis for Q2. Nice pacing between exploration and combat too.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Sounds like this map is worth checking out

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-most-ambitious-quake-map-ever-built-has-just-been-released-in-2017/
    Called The Forgotten Sepulcher, the map is a modern reinterpretation of the original Quake map E1M3: The Necropolis.

Put it this way: while the original E1M3 is made up of around 1,000 brushes, which is the term for each individual shaped block that makes up a map, The Forgotten Sepulcher features 60,000.

steam_sig.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Sounds like this map is worth checking out

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-most-ambitious-quake-map-ever-built-has-just-been-released-in-2017/
    Called The Forgotten Sepulcher, the map is a modern reinterpretation of the original Quake map E1M3: The Necropolis.

Put it this way: while the original E1M3 is made up of around 1,000 brushes, which is the term for each individual shaped block that makes up a map, The Forgotten Sepulcher features 60,000.

holy stones. Like, this right here is basically all I really want when it comes to doing something with Quake 1.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Here is the new trailer for Dusk
    http://www.pcgamer.com/the-new-dusk-trailer-is-all-about-high-speed-violence-and-loud-music/

https://youtu.be/tsu9uDMlIMM

Looks like it's leaning right into the Quake and surprisingly Rise of the Triad side of things. Getting pretty excited for this one! Still no release date yet outside of "2017"

steam_sig.png
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    The mod scenes that exist for classic games make me really sad that modern games rarely come close. Minecraft is the one game that comes to mind as being close.

Also, while it's not Doom or Quake, Deathwish is a pretty slick episode pack for Blood.

https://youtu.be/Ruyu8aL4vPs

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    This is a pretty interesting comparison between Doom 2 and Doom 4 (SnapMap) level design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffcNqv3HV9Y

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The mod scenes that exist for classic games make me really sad that modern games rarely come close. Minecraft is the one game that comes to mind as being close.

Also, while it's not Doom or Quake, Deathwish is a pretty slick episode pack for Blood.

Big releases that are easily moddable would cut far too much into the contemporary trend of churning out sequels with minor modifications every year or two. If people can just mod in good new content, why would they bother to release the 1.1 version of the game being released as a sequel?

Gotta keep that shit locked down so people don't have any choice about where the content comes from.

Not to mention that assets in modern games require a stupid amount of work and can still look like crap compared to the commercial product. You only have to look so far as Skyrim mods to see that sort of thing. Games like Doom and Blood don't require an army of artists to create cool new assets. That extra bandwidth enables collaborations to become truly massive community projects like Back To Saturn X.

Big releases that are easily moddable would cut far too much into the contemporary trend of churning out sequels with minor modifications every year or two. If people can just mod in good new content, why would they bother to release the 1.1 version of the game being released as a sequel?

Gotta keep that shit locked down so people don't have any choice about where the content comes from.

Eh, I dunno. I mean the 90s were pretty good time for game developers plopping out sequels. Doom 2, as great as it is, is pretty much that.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    But SSG! That alone is worth a whole new game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0IpNxqt34s

Chocolate in my peanut butter peanut butter in my chocolate...

Other than that, it kinda speaks for itself.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    When I saw the thumbnail I was actually hoping for the opposite combination: a first person shooter with DooM movement/weapons/etc. but with roguelike features (randomly generated levels and enemies, loot, etc.).

edited August 2017
    Yeah that sort of thing would be more up my alley too. I wonder if there is anything like that, I seem to remember a random wad generator. I'm sure it generates a bunch of nonsense but that could be fun in its own way.

But I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of attempt to rogue-up a Doom game out there some where. Maybe something like a random wad generator, that Arsenal mod and DoomRPG would do it.

edit: Yeah DoomRL Arsenal looks like a good place to start. And you can go to Soulsphere.org to grab an Automatic SLIGE Megawad. A new one is generated every day, so you can get that whole daily run thing going. I bet if you wanted to get fancy you could use something like Oblige and some scripting to make a bat file that would roll up a level and then fire it up in ZDoom along with DoomRL Arsenal.

Drake on
    Ever since update 6.66 hit, I've hit multiplayer hard. I am now three trophies away from "re-platinuming" it.

Drake wrote: »

Pretty cool!

I also played some of that Forgotten Sepulcher map, it's pretty good. It's a little confusing because the health pickups have been completely changed in look so I didn't even know they were health pickups. They also like having monsters break walls, including tiny pissant ones.

Drake wrote: »

Seems kinda nice, but needs strafing. And, although I know this would be a lot more work, more unique animations for the DoomGuy now that he's third person would really help.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    The new Doom was so good

When is id going to release the rebooted Quake 1 I so obviously deserve

I hear Champions is good, but since it's likely never coming to consoles, I doubt I'll ever get to play it.

desc wrote: »
    The new Doom was so good

When is id going to release the rebooted Quake 1 I so obviously deserve

I just don't know. The owners of the IP obviously disagree and I'm not trying to start an IP discussion, but I feel that the spirit of Quake 1 belongs in the hearts of the community that continues to support it.

There's so many ways to do a remake of the original Quake, in truth the unofficial permutations of the original are the best reboot we can have. I just don't see a way to make some definitive, especially since some people see the aesthetic as a brilliantly precise thing that's difficult to define, whilst others see it as something cobbled together from disparate parts, and it's hard to resolve that difference of opinion.

It's like...Doom is 70's arena rock, and Quake 1 is black metal. Quake 2 is thrash metal when it crossed over, and Quake 3 is like...well, the analogy falls apart a little but I think it holds in respect to Quake 1. It's divisive and weird and ahead of its time, and would take significant retooling and revamping to be made into something with enough mainstream appeal to be the kind of triple A title Bethesda would want it to be.

It should be like the Dark Souls of FPS games with its cthulian heritage and medieval industrial sense of things, but at the same time, there's all these weird things that hold it up for me. Like, I don't think that Quake 1 should have furniture. Like there may be some freestanding braziers in parts of it, but you won't see a table or a chair. The human technology that exists is broken, malfunctioning at best, and always inelegant, bulky and unclean. It gets very weird the further I go, trying to determine what can and what should not belong in something attempting to advance and revisit the distinct vibes of what made Quake work as a place and a feeling, and set it apart from the gormless also-rans of aspiring FPS titles with monsters and dungeons and also guns.

In short, Quake 1 is a mountain, and chasms at its many feet yawn and throb in hopes the unwary attempt to scale it. I love it and fear for anyone attempting to undertake remaking it as the odds of honoring it 'correctly' and with sufficient passion are almost impossible in my eyes.

At best, I'd go for a spiritual successor, that can define itself on its own terms, and with a soundtrack by Sunn 0)))

Intresting take, but what would say it said that we could double, nay triple the polygon count on those monsters. How about colored lighting and curved surfaces? What say you now?

edited August 2017
    That crunchy low poly pixelated cubism is just part of the horror for me now. Kind of like how Doom's 2D sprites just enhance that feeling of being in a comic book (for me anyway).

Give me all of the cool lighting though, which is already happening with sourceports and mapping.

Drake on