As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    ok, thanks! I thought they were all supposed to be available, but I was having trouble finding anything but the legacy war scrolls available online. I grabbed to app and can see them there. I will keep looking online, as it'd be nice to print out the warscrolls I intend to use.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Is the Spire of Dawn box a decent starter set for AOS Skirmish? I have played a couple games of it (one with Skaven, one with Khorne Bloodbound) and thought it was fun, and there is a guy who might be interested in splitting the box with me (I'd take the Skaven, he'd take the Elves).

The price of splitting the box and picking up the book would be cheaper than getting one of the $65 warband/whatever boxes, so it has me curious.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Is the Spire of Dawn box a decent starter set for AOS Skirmish? I have played a couple games of it (one with Skaven, one with Khorne Bloodbound) and thought it was fun, and there is a guy who might be interested in splitting the box with me (I'd take the Skaven, he'd take the Elves).

The price of splitting the box and picking up the book would be cheaper than getting one of the $65 warband/whatever boxes, so it has me curious.

I'd say it will get you going. Next week they are releasing a version of the starter set for 80 that has more than enough stormcast/khorne to have variation in skirmish. Its same as the big box set, but I think without the 2 large leader units. It also comes with a mat, the rulebook and the box will work as terrain (meh). The main rulebook, if the same, comes with a bunch of stuff for narrative play, which would technically make it a better deal. (this is not the skirmish book or the generals handbook)

The skaven you get are diverse but I am not convinced it would make a good skirmish force. But I only know pestilens and the box isnt pestilens. Both boxes should be more or less balanced against the forces it comes with.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Right on, thanks for the info. I'll wait until Thunder and Blood drops and then make a decision, maybe see if I can find someone in my meta to split the box with.

Kinda cool that they're doing it in red/gold plastic and including some cardboard terrain though. Seems like they are really pushing the "get a game started with minimal effort" thing.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    It's the AoS GT Heat 3 this weekend, being streamed over Warhammer TV, I caught today's 3 games, I've not had the opportunity to play versus Kharadron yet, so it was interesting to see what they're capable of, they were just showing interesting match-ups today, tomorrow should be top table games (or 2nd/3rd tables if the top table is featuring an army they've already shown.)

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    If you want to start Skaven, and can get the Skaven half of the isle of blood set, it's literally the best possible way to start the faction.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Huh, the final game of Heat 3 was Ironjawz versus Moonclan Grots, with barely a ranged attack in sight, quite unexpected.

Spoilers for results I guess.
    The grots won quite handily, squigs are pretty dangerous in cave, mangler and colossal varieties, as it turns out.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Cross-posting because of common interest:
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    So, figured I should mention this here, but Steam has a big sale on pretty much any GW-licensed games. Not sure how long it lasts.

I'd love to hear any recommendations (positive or negative) people have. I'm a big fan of the Dawn of War series, and I liked Space Marine (though I've only played a small part of it so far). I've got a key for the first Total Warhammer. I have Space Hulk but found it kind of underwhelming.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    -Loki- wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/fXxe897bW-A

press release:

LONDON – March 31, 2017 –SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced the next game in the best-selling Total War: WARHAMMER trilogy. Total War: WARHAMMER II will be the second release in an ongoing partnership between globally-acclaimed developer Creative Assembly™ and Games Workshop®, creators of the world-renowned Warhammer® Fantasy Battles tabletop wargame and miniatures.

Total War: WARHAMMER II unveils the mystery-shrouded continents far to the west of The Old World. Featuring four iconic new races from the Warhammer Fantasy Battles world – the High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, and a fourth yet to be revealed – players will battle across enchanted isles, bleak hinterlands, treacherous swamps and perilous jungles.

In a Total War campaign like no other, players will struggle for dominion over the ailing Great Vortex that has swirled for millennia above the elven homeland of Ulthuan. Performing a series of arcane rituals, each race must save or disrupt the Vortex according to their motivations – a struggle culminating in a cataclysmic endgame. Territorial conquest is no longer enough… this is a race for control that will define the fate of the world!

Total War: WARHAMMER II will offer hundreds of hours of immersive gameplay in this epic new campaign. Furthermore, a huge combined campaign map featuring the old and new world regions will be available for free shortly after release to players who own both Total War: WARHAMMER I & II.

“Total War: WARHAMMER II represents the next step in our trilogy, our vision for the most incredible fantasy strategy series ever made,” said Game Director, Ian Roxburgh. “The success of the first game has increased our ambition; we’re not only going to deliver a thrilling campaign in the sequel, but also an additional combined campaign, the biggest so far, for owners of both.”

Once they've released the third game and end up with the full combined Old World and all playable races... yeah. It's the sort of PC game Warhammer players dreamed of ever since Shogun was released.

Its the first Total War I bothered to get past the tutorial for.

I approve of these Dwarfhammers. They contractualize vengeance and honor with a Book of Grudges; metal as fuck.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

press release:

LONDON – March 31, 2017 –SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced the next game in the best-selling Total War: WARHAMMER trilogy. Total War: WARHAMMER II will be the second release in an ongoing partnership between globally-acclaimed developer Creative Assembly™ and Games Workshop®, creators of the world-renowned Warhammer® Fantasy Battles tabletop wargame and miniatures.

Total War: WARHAMMER II unveils the mystery-shrouded continents far to the west of The Old World. Featuring four iconic new races from the Warhammer Fantasy Battles world – the High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, and a fourth yet to be revealed – players will battle across enchanted isles, bleak hinterlands, treacherous swamps and perilous jungles.

In a Total War campaign like no other, players will struggle for dominion over the ailing Great Vortex that has swirled for millennia above the elven homeland of Ulthuan. Performing a series of arcane rituals, each race must save or disrupt the Vortex according to their motivations – a struggle culminating in a cataclysmic endgame. Territorial conquest is no longer enough… this is a race for control that will define the fate of the world!

Total War: WARHAMMER II will offer hundreds of hours of immersive gameplay in this epic new campaign. Furthermore, a huge combined campaign map featuring the old and new world regions will be available for free shortly after release to players who own both Total War: WARHAMMER I & II.

“Total War: WARHAMMER II represents the next step in our trilogy, our vision for the most incredible fantasy strategy series ever made,” said Game Director, Ian Roxburgh. “The success of the first game has increased our ambition; we’re not only going to deliver a thrilling campaign in the sequel, but also an additional combined campaign, the biggest so far, for owners of both.”

Once they've released the third game and end up with the full combined Old World and all playable races... yeah. It's the sort of PC game Warhammer players dreamed of ever since Shogun was released.

I approve of these Dwarfhammers. They contractualize vengeance and honor with a Book of Grudges; metal as fuck.

One of the coolest bits of lore about the Book of Grudges that isn't always mentioned explicitly - the name actually refers not to one tome but to an entire library of tomes, all of it collectively viewed by the dwarfs as a single book. As of two hundred years before the current era, the Book of Grudges consisted of at least four hundred and sixty-nine volumes, each with over 3500 pages in them, and has no doubt grown since then. The tome carried into battle by the high king is presumably simply the latest volume being worked on.

Dwarfs take this shit seriously.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

press release:

One of the coolest bits of lore about the Book of Grudges that isn't always mentioned explicitly - the name actually refers not to one tome but to an entire library of tomes, all of it collectively viewed by the dwarfs as a single book. As of two hundred years before the current era, the Book of Grudges consisted of at least four hundred and sixty-nine volumes, each with over 3500 pages in them, and has no doubt grown since then. The tome carried into battle by the high king is presumably simply the latest volume being worked on.

You know something else that's interesting but also not touched on much and really kind of explains Slayers as a thing too? Warhammer Dwarfs have perfect recall. For example a prospective King is required, as part of the coronation ceremony, to recount from memory the entire history of his city-state, as recorded on the walls and pillars of the throne room, and making a single mistake means he either has to start again on the next coronation day, or abdicate. In theory at least: not one King-elect has failed yet¹ in seven thousand years.
    Why does this explain Slayers though? Think about it: imagine the most painful or embarrassing (or both because Dwarf Pride) moment in your life. Now imagine that the memory of that event hasn't faded with time and the feelings are still as fresh as they were then, and that they never, ever will fade or be processed into the background of your psyche… yeah, you'd go berserk too.

N.B. this is also why they take oaths so seriously and don't really use written contracts; between Dwarfs the idea that either side would misremember the deal is absurd to the point of being insulting.

¹ as of the End Times. The history of the Dwarfs since then is unclear.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Seriously, what does the government put in the water in Nottingham?

https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/videos/414836972244620/

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

press release:

They literally kick ass and take names.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

press release:

You know something else that's interesting but also not touched on much and really kind of explains Slayers as a thing too? Warhammer Dwarfs have perfect recall.
    Okay so recall can be a noun synonymous with recollection.

I owe my boss five bucks.

EDIT - So how dead is Age of Sigmar? It must be bad if Total War won't acknowledge it.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017

press release:

You know something else that's interesting but also not touched on much and really kind of explains Slayers as a thing too? Warhammer Dwarfs have perfect recall.

EDIT - So how dead is Age of Sigmar? It must be bad if Total War won't acknowledge it.

I've seen more frequent and better attended AoS events than old warhammer ever did, and GW recently announced profits were up by 126%, without taking into account the new edition of 40k.

So I'd say it's doing pretty good.

Edit: I imagine it's less a case of ignoring it, more that AoS and fantasy battle are probably seperate licences.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Seriously, what does the government put in the water in Nottingham?

https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/videos/414836972244620/

Powdered 80's vintage Blockbuster and Top of the Pops posters, I think.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

press release:

By all accounts I've heard AoS is doing splendidly well. Total War was in development before AoS hit, and more importantly the game fundamentally relies on a global map which the AoS setting doesn't really fit with. It's a sad missed direct cross marketing opportunity that TW hit just as the setting it was based on was heavily revised, but no more than that.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Yeah, AoS is a lot easier to get into (and probably more fun) than the old Warhammer game. Plus some of the new stuff that is coming out in that range is awesome.

Pirate Dwarfs riding around Airships or jetpack balloons? More of that please.

I can't wait to see what GW do with Clan Skyre.

GW have been on fire lately.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

AoS makes money; WHFB was bleeding it. It was right to shift that setting to video games.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I'm still kind of bugged that Fantasy's setting got scrapped for the (far more accessible) AoS ruleset.

8th edition 40k is almost exactly what I wanted to happen to Fantasy after the End Times.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    As a retailer, without saying anything specific, I can say that Age of Sigmar is doing pretty well. Personally once I got over my initial hang ups I really enjoy it and I think I prefer it to 8th Edition Warhammer (it's complex).

I especially enjoy my new Slaanesh army too. Seekers getting 2d6"+1 advance on top of 14" move and then a charge of minimum 3" makes me so happy.

Also the new Start Collecting Boxes are amazing. Slaanesh feels like amazing value especially.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Yeah, after a pretty rocky start I've really come to like AoS, more than I ever enjoyed 40k probably, I'm really looking forwards to the new General's Handbook.
    Thinking I might start up a Slaanesh army if they get a fun allegiance ability.

• Options
    I've played a fair few games of 8th at this point, and I just got to play another game of AoS last night.

It may be that my AoS army is just "better" than my 40k one, but that seems unlikely. I do know my AoS army is more fun to play, because I actually get to move guys around and I do decent damage (albeit through mortal wound spam but....still). I played 1k Take and Hold (two objectives, each 9" away from the back edge. You control an objective if you have 5 or more models within 6", and more than your opponent. If you control both at the end of the third round, you win.)

My list was a 1k Clan Skryre list against a 1k Kharodron Overlords. Lists in spoiler.

Skaven
    Arch Warlock
    10x Acolytes
    10x Acolytes
    3x Stormfiends
    2x Warpfire throwers teams
    1x Warp lightning cannon

Sky Dwarves
    10x Arkanaut, 3x Skyhook
    10x Arkanaut, 3x Skypike
    3x Endrinriggers
    3x Endrinriggers
    3x Skywarden
    1x Frigate
    1x Admiral

It was an amazingly close battle, coming down to me being left with my Arch Warlock and one weapons team and my opponent being left with the Admiral and two Skywardens....both of us too far from each other at the start of the 5th and final round to get close enough to finish the other off.

He won on kill points, defeating 780 of my units to my killing 760 of his.

I...had an amazing time, and haven't really enjoyed my games of 8th edition 40k as much. I think there's just too many finicky rules (even still!) that get in the way and make my army unfun to play.

For instance, taking Stormfiends vs Kastelan robots (since I use the same unit for both in both systems): The Stormfiends can move and shoot just fine, and actually still have a decent melee threat even if not kitted out for melee combat. They are squishier than the robots, but I feel that they actually get more work done in all phases....plus they don't potentially kill my own units of they die.

Comparing acolytes to vanguard, again, I think the acolytes are a better unit. Sure they have a tiny shooting range, but they do work, hitting and wounding on 4s, but with a -2 rend and d3 damage as compared to the (admittedly) 30 shots, hitting on 3s and usually wounding on 4s (but sometimes a 5 or 6!) with no AP and oy one damage unless you get lucky....

The reason I'm saying all this is because my AoS army is also setup to be used in 40k, and the lists are almost identical not only in which physical model I bring, but in their general playstyle...except, and I can't stress this enough, the fact that I actually get to move my models around is enough to make me enjoy Sigmar more, since most of my army is packing heavy weapons in 40k, and can't afford the movement penalty.

Anyway, just wanted to share some thoughts about the two systems since I get to double dip pretty easily.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2017
    Oh shit, I didn't realize they released a star collecting box for Fyreslayers. That is such a good deal as that is like $200 worth of models for $85. I probably don't need the 2nd Magmadroth, but that will allow me to basically have every variation of that kit I could want.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm a big fan of the start collecting boxes, if only the Beastclaw one had been around when I was building those up. Ah well.

Having played a bit of a mix of AoS and 40k 8th I do appreciate that the sigmar missions are more, er, deliberate, I guess? With the pre-arranged objectives it's clear how they work out, but with enough variety in how to score points that you'll want to make a fairly balanced army to score those major victories (I especially like that there's no kill points mission, I never find those to be as much fun), hopefully the missions in the new handbook follow suite!

I wonder if there's going to be a Daughters of Khaine book coming down the pipeline, as mini-factions go they are one of the larger ones, and I didn't see them in the GH2 contents page they showed off.

• Options
    Yeah, I'll get the Beastclaw start box eventually so I can have my 11-model 2k point list. 8->

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Norsca DLC for Total War: Warhammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbrbDa9EBR0

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I like 8th Edition 40k Warhammer a lot, but I still prefer playing Age of Sigmar and I have a lot more fun overall in Sigmar than I do in 8th Edition.

Although when my Khorne Berserker army works in 8th Edition 40k it's hilarious. I do admit that it's fun having an army that works in both games and Khorne demons seem to work pretty good overall - even if it's a bit one note. Minding, I am thinking of getting 3 Bloodthirsters....

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8EQ1KNkpmw

You guys have probably seen this already bit seeing a Doom Wheel actually moving is pretty fun

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, speaking of (squeaking of) Skaven... turns out they're gonna be in Total Warhammer II! I can't believe it.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    That video made me want to buy a bunch of doomwheels even if they aren't that great on the table because

Doomwheels

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Nurgle!

https://youtu.be/RbI8T37eEvU
    Nurgle rises in the Mortal Realms

In the Realm of Chaos, Nurgle musters his forces, and a new cycle of decay begins. In Azyrheim, a chosen champion arises to meet the threat. War is coming to the Mortal Realms…

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Huh, I guess there has to be at least one Nurgle kit being released for the current 40k Deathguard wave that's compatible with Fantasy then. The snail monster things I guess.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    One of the preview armies is what was Dark Elves?
    I have no idea what AOS is anymore but it has the dreadlord I am meh about since I liked these two
    ce1e25c8h0b5.png
    I have three of them because of GW's miscast policy of keep it we will send you another
    And another dreadlord from the late 90's riding a cold one
    I also have a NON GW one that I picked up because I wanted a female dreadlord
    But still Aos is one of those things I am wary of because I knew what a deep pocket thing Warhammer was

• Options
    A new way to play Warhammer Age of Sigmar is coming – get ready for Firestorm.

But I haven't even had time to play the last "new way to play" yet!

• Options
    I'd guess there's perhaps gonna be GUO model coming down the line at some point then, similar to how the Lord of Change showed up after Magnus.

• Options
    Yeah, they clearly have some new models in that teaser video.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    So today they posted some teasers from the new General's Handbook, which included Allegiance abilities for Clan Skryre, which is what I play in AoS.

These abilities include the amazing hilarious ability to generate Warpstone Sparks at the start of the battle, that you can spend to get rerolls or buff a unit's damage...with the caveat that you have to roll a d6 each time you use it, and a roll of a 1 causes d6 mortal wounds to the model that ate the Warpstone. It's amazing and hilarious, and I did some theorycrafting....with one of my typical Clan Skryre 1000pt lists, I can potentially, in one turn, do 24 mortal wounds to myself, if I really piss off the dice gods.

Here's the list
    Arch Warlock (140)
    Warlock Engineer (100)
    Warlock Engineer (100)
    3 x Stormfiends (300)
    5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
    1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team (60)
    1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team (60)
    Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

So the warpstone chunks can only be used once per Phase, and specifically can be used by a wizard to reroll a casting or unbinding roll, be used by a hero to reroll a failed hit or wound roll, or be used by any model to double the damage of one successful attack. With these restrictions coupled with Skryre's ability to cause mortal wounds to itself already, if I really pissed someone off the following could happen:

Hero Phase

Arch Warlock uses Warpstone to reroll his spell, rolls a 1, rolls a 6 for damage, dies. (6 mortal wounds)
    Warlock Engineer overcharges his spell with his ability, fails the cast, rolls a 6 for damage, dies (12 mortal wounds)

Shooting Phase
    Both Warpfire throwers fail their overcharge rolls, roll 3 for damage each, killing themselves (18 mortal wounds)

Fight Phase
    Either the remaining warlock engineer uses a warpstone chunk to reroll a failed hit or wound, or a Stormfiend uses a warpstone chunk to double the damage of an attack, rolls a 1 for warpstone, rolls a 6 for damage....and surprisingly lives through it, since some of the stormfiends have 7 wounds (24 mortal wounds total).

This is the best thing I've ever heard.

Arch on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    AoS-Blightwar-Image2ltbz-e1503084124293.jpg
    Lady Stormcast

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Also adorable snail:

AoS-Blightwar-Image3ntoixs-e1503084982282.jpg

Deamon Charactes just have the most...character.

This discussion has been closed.