As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Coming to Pax West - Pinny Pals After Dark: Let's Draw! Panel

Sammy.SamSammy.Sam Registered User regular
edited September 2017 in Pinny Arcade
Update 9/19/17: For those of you who couldn't make it but still want to see how the panel went, we have a poorly manufactured recording of the event available on YouTube

https://youtu.be/5CUu9P_JIts

Pinny Pals After Dark is proud to announce a live Let's Draw panel coming to Pax West 2017! Featuring community artists as well as special guest artists who you might actually know, we'll create some digital art as enamel pin design concepts based on wacky prompts. This is an absolute can't miss event for those who love pins, art, laughter and love.

Confirmed schedule:
When: Friday, September 1st at 9:30PM
Where: Hyatt, Hippogryph theater
Who: Pinny Pals After Dark and guests

PPAD hosts Adam Bargmeyer and Hingo will moderate the action with community artists Sam Hartford and Chelsea Austin (thefawnn). Special guests include Amy Falcone (The C-Team/Clique Refresh), and Kris Straub* (The C-Team/Chainsaw Suit).

*Kris' attendance is dependent on scheduling availability the day of.

Sammy.Sam on

• Options
    InterestingMixInterestingMix A little bit of everything really Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Amazing, please stream or record this for those of us on the other side I've the world

m6s4s1d.png

Woosh!
  • Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Amazing, please stream or record this for those of us on the other side I've the world

The current plan is desktop video capture with OBS of the artists' drawing tablets, GoPro of the panel, and audio straight from the mixing board. I won't promise to have Toast's turnaround time, but we should be able to get a decent quality video cut and posted of the event for people that can't attend!

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Hingo wrote: »

The current plan is desktop video capture with OBS of the artists' drawing tablets, GoPro of the panel, and audio straight from the mixing board. I won't promise to have Toast's turnaround time, but we should be able to get a decent quality video cut and posted of the event for people that can't attend!

Any chance this will be out before the Prime 2016 panel footage?

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Or the Aus 2016 panel footage?

HAHAHA oh wai

EDIT: This sounds awesome btw.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • Options
    Hingo wrote: »

Any chance this will be out before the Prime 2016 panel footage?

Good question, @TheAggroCraig.

Yes.

Pins for trade!
  • Options
    Practice Round 1 went fairly well. Some drawing prompts fell flat on their faces, others produced gold.

Behold, ye mighty, and despair:
    Prompt: Lovecraftian styled Kemper == Shoggoth Kemper
    i1t427rogdd0.jpg

Practice Round 2 is coming up! If you have some prompt ideas you want to throw at us for a chance to see them brought to life in horrible fashion, let me know here! The best prompts are along the lines of <discriptor> <thing> (i.e. Shoggoth Kemper). Keep in mind that @sammy.sam is a terrible person and didn't know who Chris Perkins was, yet has no problem visualizing a Shoggoth. What a strange world we live in. Getting back on track - prompts! I will pick some (or all) of them from here and give them to the artists during our next Practice Panel, and post results here!

Much Love,
    PPAD GM

Pins for trade!
  • Options
    InterestingMixInterestingMix A little bit of everything really Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    It's probably more fun when @Sammy.Sam has no idea what the prompt is and therefore has to go off a vague reference image with no real context :biggrin:

m6s4s1d.png

Woosh!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    To clarify, I know who Chris Perkins is, I just haven't memorized what his chiseled visage looks like (although apparently @hingo has). My standard response to caricature drawing requests is just to draw a balloon with eyeballs.

Sammy.Sam on
  • Options
    Sammy.Sam wrote: »
    To clarify, I know who Chris Perkins is, I just haven't memorized what his chiseled visage looks like (although apparently @hingo has). My standard response to caricature drawing requests is just to draw a balloon with eyeballs.

Then why did you give him a shotgun and a hood, and instead of normal human legs you gave him genie feet!?!?

Pins for trade!
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Perkins is well know for his genie feet!

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Kemper riding a bicycle.

Div eating a pizza.

• Options
    adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular
    @Qumaden Pickle Craig
    AcN95yc.jpg

ChMDm4Y.png
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    God damn it

• Options
    adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular
    A lot of drawings have been posted in the West forum thread! Looking for more practice prompts!

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/212832/coming-to-pax-west-pinny-pals-after-dark-lets-draw-panel

ChMDm4Y.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Thanks to everyone that showed up and had some fun with us at the panel. We hope the audience had as good a time as our guests!

If there is usable video+audio, we will post the video later for those who were unable to attend West this year. For those who went to the panel, what did you like about the format? What would you like to see in a future Let's Draw panel? Let us know!

Sammy.Sam on
  • Options
    Updated the OP with the YouTube link to the panel recording. Enjoy vicariously, or re-live the non-stop thrills!

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    I don't make it to a lot of panels these days. Thanks for making this one I did get to tons of fun. I hope to see more in this style.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    I'm glad you liked it! We're tighening up the format and hope to be back at a PAX soon.