As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Go find the new Shadowrun thread, this one has been hacked by elves

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    APEX was a cakewalk.
    Then again, i also had decking 7, a fairlight excalibur, and esp at 5 along with 3.0 apps.
    Anything the AI threw at me was nuked and gaining control of the turrets let me turn meatspace into meaty space. Eiger was kitted at a sniper, Deitrik was healing and aimbotting and Mercy was tanking, rarely, because those APEX cultists exploded when they rounded the corner.

What difficulty? That's almost my exact setup but cultists had 50+ HP and the robots had 90+.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Normal difficulty. Hard might be different. I also try to save it for the last mission as possible before story progression segments so i can have enough karma and money for it.

But thats the thing. You get ahold of a turret and it chunks everything

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Ah, yeah I was on Hard. The turrets are only semi effective at that point because the enemies are all hella tanky.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Hardest mission for me was the timed stealth hacking with isobel. Had to save scum to get through that mess.
    Much easier with a pc decker.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Hardest mission for me was the timed stealth hacking with isobel. Had to save scum to get through that mess.

Is0bel just isn't, baseline, a good hacker for a lot of missions, compared to PC. This is, of course, intentional.

You can give her better stuff, but I feel like making investments into net running kinda defeats the purpose of not playing a decker yourself.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Also resources are pretty limited in Hong Kong.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

I managed once I figured out how to navigate. It forces you to learn the new Matrix systems inside and out.

Also, Overwatching was a lifesaver.

wVEsyIc.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Also resources are pretty limited in Hong Kong.

They're not if you're mainly going street samurai while dipping into other things. I was mainly a pistoleero (building towards the revolver bc revolvers are cool) who dipped into Shamanism for totem bonus and some utility spells, and after those spells and the occasional armor and gun upgrade I was swimming in dough. Ended up kitting myself out with unnecessary but nifty cyberware with the extra funds.

Though this was all still on Normal difficulty.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Mages go through nuyen like candy.

And for the record, I've seen the light of the ley lines, but they're still few and far between. I'd rather they were less OP and normal spells weren't so nerfed.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »

And for the record, I've seen the light of the ley lines, but they're still few and far between. I'd rather they were less OP and normal spells weren't so nerfed.

I felt like I almost always had a Large or Major Dragon Line to cast on. The only fight I can think of where you don't have ready access to one is the fight outside Shangri'La.

3clipse wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I felt like I almost always had a Large or Major Dragon Line to cast on. The only fight I can think of where you don't have ready access to one is the fight outside Shangri'La.

Seems like quite a few in Bonus didn't have one. Thankfully Detention did.

wVEsyIc.png
    Bonus is a LOT longer than I expected. It's reminding me of Wing Commander IV now, what with
    getting a more run down base to escape traitors from the fancy one.

wVEsyIc.png
    Phew. Bonus cleared. Full Circle, indeed.
    My boy goes back to Seattle where it all began. Something about an old friend offering him some money...?

Screw Duncan. He was a jerk, like hell I'm ditching Racter and co because he has a complex about being a runner. Have fun with the HKPF, gunshow.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Just started using the cyber murder whip for the first time.

Holy shit.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Isane was a cool dudette and I empathise with anyone who has their sandwich fucked with
    What kind of fucker just slaps someone's sandwich out of their hands

edited July 2017
    I love how I have a cannibal on my team and he's still not the creepiest guy on the boat.
    Rachter has been slowly revealing himself to be a future super villain in the making.

First time I met him, thought he was kind of boring...Boy, was I fucking wrong on that.

Dr. Chaos on
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I love how I have a cannibal on my team and he's still not the creepiest guy on the boat.
    Rachter has been slowly revealing himself to be a future super villain in the making.

First time I met him, thought he was kind of boring...Boy, was I fucking wrong on that.

See, viewing post-humanists as villains is exactly the sort of thinking that will doom humanity in the end.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

He's the best character on the boat.

wVEsyIc.png
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular

See, viewing post-humanists as villains is exactly the sort of thinking that will doom humanity in the end.

I mean, he is a sociopathic cyborg with a murder robot. I don't really foresee him saving humanity.

Neaden wrote: »

I mean, he is a sociopathic cyborg with a murder robot. I don't really foresee him saving humanity.

He'll save humanity from themselves.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

From where I'm in the game so far..
    He's a psychopath who developed a disturbing lack of empathy early on, doesn't actually care about anybody, is a ruthless killer, and wants people to completely detach themselves from humanity and become machines with his same sociopathic tendencies. He's brilliant but also glorifying his own mental instability.

Transhumanism is an interesting concept but I don't want anything to do with Rachter's vision of it.

He's a great character and a mainstay in my party now but I would absolutely be afraid of him in real life.

He's a psychopath who developed a disturbing lack of empathy early on, doesn't actually care about anybody, is a ruthless killer, and wants people to completely detach themselves from humanity and become machines with his same sociopathic tendencies. He's brilliant but also glorifying his own mental instability.

Transhumanism is an interesting concept but I don't want anything to do with Rachter's vision of it.

He's a great character and a mainstay in my party now but I would absolutely be afraid of him in real life.

I was being just a little tongue-in-cheek :P

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited July 2017
    To be fair though, as much as I implied I'm against all that, I would probably shed a lot of essence without a lot of second thoughts.

I'd be the first in line to get my arm cut off for some sweet chrome. Always been fascinated with the concept of cybernetic augmentation in fiction like Deus Ex and Shadowrun.

Dr. Chaos on

He isn't quite ruthless, he does have some humanity, as you'll see in some missions.

But no doubt, if you cross him, you'll die screaming while Koschei dissects you.

wVEsyIc.png
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Soon. Bionics are very very soon. This was last year by the way.

What's notable about this arm is that he's the first guy ever to get a metal-in-bone graft. A lot of the arms before this were basically sleeves you put on the nub and thus couldn't carry anything because there was no support. He's cooking dinner and holding a 3lb crockpot with confidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JcM6eel9Q0

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    edited August 2017
    Been a long time since I tried any user created campaigns. Tried a few around the time of Returns but thats about it.

Anything worthwhile popped up since then you guys would reccomend after I'm done with HK?

Dr. Chaos on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Been a long time since I tried any user created campaigns. Tried a few around the time of Returns but thats about it.

Anything worthwhile popped up since then you guys would reccomend after I'm done with HK?

one thing to note is that different campaigns are compatible with different games (Returns, Dragonfall Director's Cut, or HK.

Nightmare Harvest is a pretty cool one for Returns. It's a solo story, so bear that in mind during character creation, and the writer figured out some pretty clever ways to give Shadowrun a bit more of an open-world approach. A lot of segments in the game can be tackled in any order and have multiple solutions in a very Deus Exy way. It's a pretty good story with an interesting setting (a mysterious wasteland town), some good humor, and a solid plot based on "Red Harvest."

The Penumbra Saga is for Dragonfall DC. It's a full campaign, with runs and hirable runners, that takes your character through the battle against the Tir elves for Northern California's independence. It has a degree of nonlinearity (like Dragonfall, you have several objectives and can choose which missions to go on in which order), some memorable characters, and a few really challenging combats. I found it pretty satisfying as a story and a tactical exercise.

The Caldecott Caper - a shorter sequel campaign to the Penumbra Saga made for Shadowrun HK. It has most of the virtues of its predecessor, it's just a bit tighter and more focused.

These are the best UGCs I've played, and I absolutely recommend them to anyone looking for more Shadowrun, but the thing to bear in mind is that basically every user campaign is at least one of the following three things
    • doomed to be forever unfinished (these are the exceptions but in each case you can see bits that the designer probably wanted to expand on but didn't)
    • full of technical issues
    • sparse and empty-feeling. I haven't played any fan work that feels quite as fully-fledged as the real games in terms of how many people you can talk to, how many places you go, etc. It really makes you appreciate the degree to which even a small studio like HBS can crank out content faster than one person somewhere.

rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2017
    Finished the main campaign of Hong Kong. Very good like Dragonfall (but not quite as good), the hours just melt away when playing. Its one of those games you sit down to play and don't even realize two hours have passed.

Could have done without things once again devolving into
    Saving the world again. Wish Harebrained Studios would just stick to the shadowrunning. Magic bullshit is fine but they always go too big at the end.

Its like playing GTA and then finding out in the last act you have to stop Godzilla from destroying a city.

Much easier than Returns and Dragonfall too. Last few missions of Dragonfall were straight up murder on me but here, I had a relatively easy time with my vindicator and Gobbet, both of us roleplaying as Heavy and Medic from Team Fortress 2 with her using her support spells to charge me up into a roving death machine.

Started the bonus campaign, premise seems really interesting.
    Already firmly in "fuck you, pigs!" mode with my angry 80s action hero wannabe dwarf.

Dr. Chaos on
    edited August 2017
    Saving the world again. Wish Harebrained Studios would just stick to the shadowrunning. Magic bullshit is fine but they always go too big at the end.

Its like playing GTA and then finding out in the last act you have to stop Godzilla from destroying a city.
    I've only played one GTA game all the way through, so I can't comment on the rest of the series, but San Andreas got pretty grandiose by the end. And I feel like the buildup to the 'save the world' thing in Hong Kong was a lot better than Dragonfall's, there was a much steadier buildup of the threat than "oh fuck the dragon itself is right here", and you could tell things were going to shit on a massive scale earlier.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Finished the main campaign of Hong Kong. Very good like Dragonfall (but not quite as good), the hours just melt away when playing. Its one of those games you sit down to play and don't even realize two hours have passed.

Much easier than Returns and Dragonfall too. Last few missions of Dragonfall were straight up murder on me but here, I had a relatively easy time with my vindicator and Gobbet, both of us roleplaying as Heavy and Medic from Team Fortress 2 with her using her support spells to charge me up into a roving death machine.

Already firmly in "fuck you, pigs!" mode with my angry 80s action hero wannabe dwarf.
    Ending:
    I'm not sure what you mean by save the world. The world is fine win or lose. I let her stay in the world and everything was fine. Lucky even!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited August 2017

Ending:
    I'm not sure what you mean by save the world. The world is fine win or lose. I let her stay in the world and everything was fine. Lucky even!
    Speaking of lucky, tried that first since it was by far the more interesting option before I reset since I fell like it didn't make sense for the character I've been playing to mow down 80% of his whole crew. He'll kill and steal from pretty much everybody but them. He looks out for his own.

Good old Rachter not giving no shits about killing everyone else, Gaichu doing it was surprising at first but then I remembered he can be pretty damn cold blooded.

Really curious how the hell that would have changed things in the bonus campaign though, whether the demon bug monster luck buff would change things, etc.

Dr. Chaos on

Ending:
    Speaking of lucky, tried that first since it was by far the more interesting option before I reset since I fell like it didn't make sense for the character I've been playing to mow down 80% of his whole crew. He'll kill and steal from pretty much everybody but them. He looks out for his own.

Good old Rachter not giving not shits about killing everyone else, Gaichu doing it was surprising at first but then I remembered he can be pretty damn cold blooded.

Really curious how the hell that would have changed things in the bonus campaign though, whether the demon bug monster luck buff would change things, etc.
    That would be a great way to end GTA, to be fair. And I picture demon luck MC ending up like a Looper victim.

wVEsyIc.png
    I can't recall a lick of anything y'all are talking about re: the ending (going back a few pages too) which means I either just totally forgot the ending or took a wildly different dialog path through it.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited August 2017
    Are there any new weapons/armor to buy in the bonus campaign?

The slow feed of nuyen in these games makes me paranoid about spending money.

if there isn't, probably going to just smash as much jazz and cram into my body as metahumanly possible.

Dr. Chaos on
    edited August 2017

Ending:

Good old Rachter not giving not shits about killing everyone else, Gaichu doing it was surprising at first but then I remembered he can be pretty damn cold blooded.

Don't think there is any new weapons/armor/spells. They give mono filament whips to the bad guys though.

Continuing ending talk:
    Yeah, see my mage would totally blow everyone up, just not on purpose. Darn bouncing fireballs/Ball Lightning OOPS!
    Also I couldn't get the good ending with her, because when isobel asked me to leave her alone and got cranky and didn't say anything else when pressed, I thought she was done with new stuff. I didn't think to try and press her again after another mission, so I missed the story about the person who beat the yama king.
    I haven't taken my mage past the intro of the bonus, but in that first quest where you have to recover the object from the bar, it conveniently falls off the shelf, and rolls next to your foot. Lucky!

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Are there any new weapons/armor to buy in the bonus campaign?

The slow feed of nuyen in these games makes me paranoid about spending money.

if there isn't, probably going to just smash as much jazz and cram into my body as metahumanly possible.

Not that I recall, the vendor just pretty much has everything from the endgame.

wVEsyIc.png
    This is random, but I don't see a way of accessing rewards from the first Shadowrun campaign. It used to be accessed from the HBS site, but you can't log into it anymore?

wVEsyIc.png
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Gosh, I need to finish the mini campaign.

But I've been playing Age of Empires III. :D

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    HBS was kind enough to email me back. It's on a dropbox now. :D

I have to say, I forgot how good DMS' OST is. Probably the best of the three.

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.