As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android: Netrunner and Project Nisei

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    IDs lead to some dumb situations. I do wish they didn't exist. I played in a regional where I made the cut with a bye, a sweep and then 2x ID. Which isn't what the game is about.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Yeah I got into the top cut at my regional as #1 seed with bye, sweep sweep ID and felt kinda dirty for it.

Don't believe anyone there begrudged me for it, though.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    You can't force people to play their games, is the real problem. They can shuffle, draw, and not really actually play to still go 1-1. MAYBE every few times someone at least has second thoughts and backstabs, actually trying to win after all, but that's not really the desired result of the whole affair either.
    It's really shitty, and you can't do much about adding rules to fix player mentality.
    (I will laugh in the face of anyone who tells me they earned their tournament win if they didn't play every game they were assigned.)

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    If judges see a pairing not actually playing their game they can give both players a double loss. It's only really a problem on the top tables after the first couple of rounds, so it's not like judges have to keep an eye on 60 games at once.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    You can't force people to play their games, is the real problem. They can shuffle, draw, and not really actually play to still go 1-1. MAYBE every few times someone at least has second thoughts and backstabs, actually trying to win after all, but that's not really the desired result of the whole affair either.
    It's really shitty, and you can't do much about adding rules to fix player mentality.
    (I will laugh in the face of anyone who tells me they earned their tournament win if they didn't play every game they were assigned.)

so my 2nd place finish in my regional wasn't earned because I took a legal ID in the last round, despite playing my heart out both during the swiss and the top cut? frankly that's kind of a shitty thing to imply unless I am misunderstanding you
    Bogart wrote: »
    I wish they'd just make IDing worth less than splitting a match you actually play. I can't blame anyone for doing it while it's there (I've done it myself), I'd rather it just wasn't there at all.

yeah I feel like they should be worth 2 points each rather than 3 points each.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    Anzekay wrote: »

so my 2nd place finish in my regional wasn't earned because I took a legal ID in the last round, despite playing my heart out both during the swiss and the top cut? frankly that's kind of a shitty thing to imply unless I am misunderstanding you

You are not misunderstanding me, and I don't care if you did it once or four times, it's shitty. Cerberus has done it too, and he's still my friend and I respect him, and he's done it because everyone else was, and I get that, and I expect you've come at it from the same angle, and I don't care because it's still really fucking shitty.
    I'll absolutely have more respect for someone who loses playing out their games than wins by not. That events like regionals put so much on the line means you're dumb to not take the ID. Again, I get it. Again, I kinda don't care. I'll lose because I won't. That's my hill to die on. I'm still going to roll my eyes at you for taking an ID even if it's the right move.

• Options
    Alright, I understand. I suppose it seems like a bit of a pointless exercise to just say that sort of thing when folks are clearly going to feel insulted by it, though, but no harm done- I'm not really upset.

• Options
    Yeah, it's mostly relevant to what I was suggesting that it's weird to police because even "forcing people to play" is haphazard since "who are you to judge if someone is playing to their full capacity?" and that a big part of the current state of things is a mentality dichotomy (of which I definitely have an extreme stance). I just really hate it when shit gets political.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Yeah I think the complex part about IDs is that once people have a taste of them, no matter what game they were playing at the time, the temptation is always there regardless of whether they were legal or not.

And then the other issue is concessions. I think having concessions in the game is a good thing, especially with lock out decks or prison decks or whatever. Sometimes playing the game out and just clicking for credits or draws or whatever is a waste of time when you could move onto your next game, as well as fatigue that could be avoided.

But having concessions legal makes it even easier for people to secretly ID, so ffg making IDs legal sort of feels like a logical progression from there.

Probably the best solution, at least in my opinion, would be to have concessions legal, IDs legal but at 2 points each (rather than 3) and fake IDs punishable by being banned. That way all it takes is for a cheat to try and get a fake ID out of an honest person once, and they get reported and all eyes will be upon them from there- which hopefully discourages them from ever trying again. Of course, then that doesn't stop two cheats doing it together, and they get a leg up over everyone else at that tournament etc etc

it's sort of a catch 22, I certainly do not envy the people making the decisions for this.

I just tend to get frustrated with people presenting extreme views on this with heavy language. I get enough of that with actual real world politics, I'd rather this card game I play stay pretty cheerful and light-hearted where possible.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I think the current situation is best - unenforceable rules against IDs just penalizes people who want to follow the rules. I don't think you could actually enforce a distinction between going 1-1 and IDing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Part of me wonders how it'd look if the Cache Refresh-style single game rounds was pushed to be the standard so you couldn't split. I mean, it's already single game rounds in the cut right? (I wouldn't know, since I've never made it due to a crippling addiction to jank.)

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Part of me wonders how it'd look if the Cache Refresh-style single game rounds was pushed to be the standard so you couldn't split. I mean, it's already single game rounds in the cut right? (I wouldn't know, since I've never made it due to a crippling addiction to jank.)

this is kinda fiddly because then you have to double the number of swiss rounds and that means more downtime between rounds (extending the time frame of a tournament further) and also means that some people might end up playing one deck far more than the other in the swiss as well as the cut rather than both their decks needing to perform well

• Options
    And yet, any of that (if true) would still be preferable to people ID'ing.

Honestly, I don't think side balance really matters as long as the players don't get to choose sides. If it's random, or determined by the OP software, eh. Heck, it'd probably go faster because you'd still have the same number of Swiss rounds but the rounds themselves could be shorter. Maybe trimmed down to 45 minutes or so.

Unrelated, I feel completely dirty playing OOPS! All Barriers?! Skorpios, but it's pretty hilarious. Kill the barrier breaker, win? Sure.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Same number of swiss rounds means half the number of games which kinda feels like a worse determination for player skill and also means people who don't make the cut get to play half as many games and that kinda sucks for the casual folks who just want to come play games

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Oh hey, Crimson Dust's status just changed over to Shipping Now.

No official release date yet, oddly.

So goddamn close to rotation...

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Sheffield regional tomorrow. I faced an awful lot of Sync at the last one, so I'm tempted to take Smoke with NACH and Film Critic, but there are also the various brands of Whizzard which have a far, far better matchup against Moons, of which there will no doubt be an awful lot.

• Options
    Preston was moon light and Ag heavy so hard to predict what you'll see.
    Expect Moon, Ag, SYNC, CI at the top mostly

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    I thought that lot of the Ag at Preston were people enjoying glacier's last gasp before Moose ;)?

• Options
    Okay, I think I've found my perfect j.net wallpaper. :D

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Kind of a dumb idea I've been playing with that seems to do a surprising amount of work in my BoN deck: Data Loop. Yes, I know, I don't need barriers... it's all about the encounter ability coupled with the ID. It's actually kind of mean and can just chew through a runner's grip.

Actually had a game where I went a runner to SPACE CAMP, though. :D Although I was sad and GT ended up being the last card in my deck. Again.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    You know, I'm just going to throw this out there...

Employee Strike should go away if a agenda was stolen as well.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    God I wish I had the time for this game. Damn FFG for thinking electronics are the devil.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Went to the last regional of the season on Saturday. Only 4 rounds, and was 4-2 going into the last round but ended up 4-4. Again, more than one person got into the top cut after ID'ing twice and using a bye, which meant they played 1 game of Netrunner before the knockout stages. It's just dumb.

Spectacularly stupid play of the day was when I faced a Moons deck and forgot that John Masanori running a server whose contents disappear (JH, Moon) doesn't take a tag, as the run is neither successful nor unsuccessful. I ended up letting the Moon get too many counters and lost horribly, when the Despie Whizz I was running should have been able to shut the deck down. You live and learn.

Favourite play was when I fast advanced a GFI out of FA HB.

• Options
    This is my Aginfusion list that has been terrorising the UK meta. It's really good, you should check it out (and give it a like)!

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/44662/hydra-1st-place-preston-regional-

• Options
    Should we talk about how a certain someone made the Netrunner Hall of Fame?

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    I'm actually really quite happy with how that hall of fame turned out

• Options
    Me too!

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Is it wrong I'm considering slotting Corporate Town to just murder the shit out of Bloo Moose?

EDIT: That feeling when you Couriers onto a Vanity Project 14 counters.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    I have a Cache Refresh GNK coming up and haven't looked into the format much. I know the prevailing wisdom when it was announced was that Smoke and SYNC were the obvious choice, with HB asset spam also being good because of the lack of Whizz and other asset hate in the format, but does that still hold up?

Reg Crim looks fine to me. You can have a Paperclip, Inversificator, Na'etc rig with support from Femme and Abagnale or Passport. You can go into C&C for Casts, Laundry and SoT if you don't mind dropping Legwork (ouch). You can run Bloose, Temujin and Aaron, and Aenas if you're worried about assets. One Desperado and no Andy sucks, but Gabe, Los and Steve are all ok.

Corp side, Aginf that taxes cards might be alright? Obokata and Ben remotes protected by Kakugos, abusing the lack of Film Critic?

• Options
    I have a cache refresh tournament on Wednesday night as well, and I was thinking AgInf and Smoke, but haven't looked into building the lists yet. Something to do tonight.

• Options
    I ran against a Cache Refresh Tennin deck that was quite rude. Felt like net damage was just everywhere.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I have a cache refresh tournament on Wednesday night as well, and I was thinking AgInf and Smoke, but haven't looked into building the lists yet. Something to do tonight.

How did it go?

I think I'm locked into Reg Los/Steve and either AgInf or HB asset spam. I haven't tested HB yet, but the AgInf seems good. I've packed all the money into it and it still gives you some tough calls to make on rezzing - I miss Celebrity Gift!

• Options
    I ended up taking netdecked Smoke and Skorpios. I went half the first game totally forgetting about Skorpios' ability, even when I was trashing my opponent's sacrificial construct, Blackstone and Temujin. When I finally realised he'd just Levied, and I ended up losing a game when I had painstakingly shut him out of my servers. An absurd mistake, and it made me want to walk into traffic out of embarrassment. The Skorp deck won my other two games handily. Seems pretty strong.

The Smoke didn't fair quite as well, losing to a PU deck (I suspect net damage is much more prevalent in cache refresh tournaments, but didn't tech for it) and a Making News deck that did the Knocking on Doors thing turn one. It beat a Sync deck, though the Sync player didn't notice the Aaron Marron with four counters when he went all in on a HHN.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Man, it's been so long since I've gotten hosed by That Asshole Batty, that I kind of forgot about him.

Until I ran into one being ran in a Skorpios deck that fired a upgraded Colossus's trash a program & resource sub. When I was in the middle of encountering that Colossus, so I now lost *another* program (my barrier breaker), and the next piece of ICE in R&D was a Ice Wall.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    After a very long break from this game I was feeling nostalgic and figured that Terminal Directive would be a fun way for me and a friend to get back into the game, so I just picked that up.

I remember hearing something about them updating the suggested decklists for it and something about an FAQ? But I'm apparently failing at google and finding it.

I've got 3 copies of the corset though so card availability shouldn't really be an issue.

• Options
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Ah, I didn't think it would be in the general FAQ.

Thanks!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I'm actually really quite happy with how that hall of fame turned out

yeah when I saw that jake morris wasn't in the first round of nominees I thought it was going to be pretty silly but he made it in there on another pass

it wound up being a pretty credible selection, imo

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Ugh, Apocalypse should have never been printed with a influence bar.

EDIT: Also, CardgameDB, of all things, has the official English spoilers for Crimson Dust.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Huh, that was a interesting deck I just played against. Kate with a Yog packing a Dedicated Processor and a bunch of Egrets to make everything code gates.

And a bunch of Rigged Results. Which did a surprising amount of work.

EDIT: Next year, when Leela rotates, will be a happy day.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg