As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark & Light] It's fantasy ARK, basically.

EliminationElimination Registered User regular
edited October 2017 in Games and Technology
nub5bqe08ua0.jpg

Welcome ! :D So what is Dark & Light you ask?

Dark & Light is a survival Sandbox in the vein of Ark, as in it's basically the same company. What is different here? Well ! It is set in a Fantasy world of dragons, giants, goblins, elves and dwarves. It has less of the weirdness that Ark has with its sort of sci-fi end-game stuff, it has NPC's with shops and their own towns with quests like an RPG. Basically, if you liked Ark you will probably enjoy what is to offer here, especially so if (like me) you didn't like Ark's end game sci-fi stuff or setting very much. If you are going to buy the game I highly suggest you install it to an SSD. You will save yourself a lot of headaches. This game is in early access, so of course expect a few patches and the occasional broken patch as well.

This video basically explains most of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGZcJv4C3zg

Steam link to purchase.

Do we have a server for PA?

Well, Sort of ! I have started and am hosting my own 24/7 server as of posting this thread. Server may go through hiccups as the game is still in Early Access, and whatever bugs come with that.

Server Name: Baldur's Gate - 2.5x XP - Server is currently down due to no donations or players.
IP: 216.244.93.100

Current settings are

PVP: On
2.5x EXP
8x Taming
1.5x Gathering
3x Damage resistance on buildings
0.5x Decay
0.5x Hunger/Thirst decay
0.5x Stamina decay.

You can find it via IP or through searching in game under Unofficial.

You can donate to the server via paypal to: pa.elimination@gmail.com

SERVER DISCORD HERE

Most people seem to be setting up on either the Dwarf of Elf race factions.

Other server:
Name: PADarkandLight
Password: The standard forum one IN ALL CAPS (early access weirdery means passwords only work in all caps) -- shoot me a message if you're unsure
IP: 107.142.164.107
Type: PvE
Faction: Elf
1.5x EXP
1.5x Resource Gathering
5x Taming
2x Spoil time
.5x Hunger/Thirst drain

Performance pro tip: Put this -USEALLAVAILABLECORES -novsync in your launch options under properties in steam, see your FPS rise.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
Elimination on

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Oh god it's like they made this game specifically for me.

Gonna be picking this up, wonder if I can copy my canyon fortress idea from Conan into this. Only with dragons.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I like this game a lot! I picked it up on Saturday and it's ridiculously pretty, though still unoptimized and you need a pretty solid PC to get the pretty as a result.

It's hilarious to me that this is even slightly related to the super bad 2006 Dark and Light, but they're completely different games. The marketing has been sort of wacky as a result, but it seems like the steam reviews are finally starting to recover as people realize what the game actually is.

The most important thing to know is that goblins are death.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I'm going to attempt to stream this tonight I think, I've played a grand total of 10 minutes but I think its gunna be a good fit for me...

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    How are the tame times in this game? What torpedoed ark for me was how they kept "increasing the difficulty" which was just code words for not increasing the difficulty at all and instead just increasing tame times by another order of magnitude.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Default settings for taming are in the ballpark of Ark, the plus side being that it has the exact same server modifiers as Ark -- it's really easy to tweak it to whatever rate you want in singleplayer or on a private server.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Been watching BikeMan play this (they seem to be switching between Citadel & D+L), and my god is it gorgeous, but damn does it look like they have to work on the animations/netcode/etc. to make it not look a bit janky. The skill system looks neat, and the fantasy aesthetic is really nice.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Because there are a lot of people who are very averse to PvP in this type of game (including me!), I wanted to share the info for the forumer-oriented PvE server I'm hosting too:

Name: PADarkandLight
    Password: The standard forum one IN ALL CAPS (early access weirdery means passwords only work in all caps) -- shoot me a message if you're unsure
    IP: 107.142.164.107
    Type: PvE
    Faction: Elf
    1.5x EXP
    1.5x Resource Gathering
    5x Taming
    2x Spoil time
    .5x Hunger/Thirst drain

A very important thing to note, is that as of right now different factions cannot be in the same House (ie guild) together. It may be added at some point, but you're not allowed to interact with humans or dwarves as an elf, and so on and so forth. As such, I strongly recommend being an elf
    as this is a PvE server. If you hate elves, the character creator lets you make your elf as tall, short, bearded or clean faced as you would like, and you can very easily make a not-elf that is technically an elf. As a consolation prize, the elf starting area is incredibly pretty:
    ?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A1152&background-color=black
    ?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A1152&background-color=black

As the Ark/Dark and Light server browser is fairly terrible, the easiest way to join the server is to open steam, click the "view" button on the top left and hit "servers". Click the favorites tab, hit "add a server" in the bottom right, and type in the IP. It should populate with the name PADarkandLight, and you can join through that server browser.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Players on Elims server, I have constructed a small homestead near the dwarf starting city, if the race/house thing is true then we should probably co-ordinate. Go left on the road from the city and over the river, you can't miss it.
    Edit I've set a pin code of 7410 so anyone here can open the door.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    How are the tame times in this game? What torpedoed ark for me was how they kept "increasing the difficulty" which was just code words for not increasing the difficulty at all and instead just increasing tame times by another order of magnitude.

I increased taming speed by 3x on my server, I can increase it more if people want. Everything is increased on my server by a little bit to make things less painful. I can also change any other settings as people want, I can make it a PvE server or keep it PVP as it is now. It's up to you all.

Current settings are

PVP: On
    2.5x EXP
    3x Taming
    1.5x Gathering
    3x Damage resistance on buildings
    0.5x Decay
    0.5x Hunger/Thirst decay
    0.5x Stamina decay.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Players on Elims server, I have constructed a small homestead near the dwarf starting city, if the race/house thing is true then we should probably co-ordinate. Go left on the road from the city and over the river, you can't miss it.
    Edit I've set a pin code of 7410 so anyone here can open the door.

Damn it, I made an elf. I can always go back and make a dwarf. I did see someone else as an elf earlier today on my server running away from a panther into the woods lmao.

Edit: SERVER DISCORD HERE

Elimination on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I don't have a PC powerful enough to run either Citadel or D&L, but I find it interesting how they've both entered EA at about the same time.

I have to wonder which will make it out of EA first, or end up with the largest player-base, being so (seemingly? IDK) similar.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I don't have a PC powerful enough to run either Citadel or D&L, but I find it interesting how they've both entered EA at about the same time.

I have to wonder which will make it out of EA first, or end up with the largest player-base, being so (seemingly? IDK) similar.

It seems like citadel is more PVP focused and dosnt have the same level of crafting and such, they seem different enough to both find player bases.

The race/house thing is pretty stupid. I went dwarf because well, it's a fantasy game where you can build castles, you bet your ass I'm going to build a literal dwarf fortress.

I dunno if people want to stick with elf or come be dwarfs or whatever, I do have a manor with bedrolls, cooking fire, mortar and pestle and a sheep making "fur" (the game must mean wool right?) already set up.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    I'm pretty sure the race thing is the foundation of PvP in this -- it's a 3 way faction vs. faction vs. faction. But they should totally let you join up on PvE servers regardless of race, hopefully that gets patched in soon! I tested it with Kooleagle this weekend and no dice -- I teleported his human character to me and it wouldn't let me bring up the interact menu with him.

I would assume you can only trade with your own race's NPCs too, but I haven't tested that.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017

It seems like citadel is more PVP focused and dosnt have the same level of crafting and such, they seem different enough to both find player bases.

The race/house thing is pretty stupid. I went dwarf because well, it's a fantasy game where you can build castles, you bet your ass I'm going to build a literal dwarf fortress.

I dunno if people want to stick with elf or come be dwarfs or whatever, I do have a manor with bedrolls, cooking fire, mortar and pestle and a sheep making "fur" (the game must mean wool right?) already set up.

Who's server are you playing on? I don't mind switching to Dwarf honestly if it's on mine. You seem further ahead than me anyways.

Elimination on
  • Options

Who's server are you playing on? I don't mind switching to Dwarf honestly if it's on mine. You seem further ahead than me anyways.

I am playing on yours yes.

• Options
    I was reading the forums a bit today, and it sounds like there's a fair amount of stuff that is broken in singleplayer, but works in multi. It sounds like shapeshifting is wonky, item drops may be acting up, and you can't tame Elementals and other stuff that requires you to tame them by killing/capturing in a stone instead of the standard grappling arrows method.

Hooray early access!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I might be joining you guys in this game this week, it looks exciting.

• Options
    So few things I've learnt playing this that might come in handy

Picks used on boulders give sulphur, you need an axe to get stone. Picks give the copper and iron when used, axes always give stone so I'm guessing that's "pick gives specific resources" is the logic.

The scythe gives fur when used on corpses. It gives straw/thatch/whatever it's called when used on shrubs. Spears give bone, swords meat, throwing daggers give hides.

Swords on shrubs gives grass, picks on trees give the rope stuff, staffs give a little of everything plus magic shards.

When using a recipe that needs a bottle, you have to fill it with water first.

Melee is real wonky atm, but magic and range works perfectly fine. Arrows do more damage than the basic fireball, and most monsters can be strafed a little. Except panthers who will murder you and your family.

There is no thatch stairs. Most monsters can wreck thatch though.

Beds are not respawn points, you have to build a ressurection alter for that.

• Options
    Yeah, the melee definitely has fairly small hitboxes, and the 3rd person makes it tougher. I've been able to adapt to it by watching the animation pretty closely -- the swing has a wind up, and if you aim to swing through the center of whatever you're fighting you can hit it reliably. I wandered around swording rabbits to death for awhile last night and it worked pretty well.

Kiting in general is super useful of course, except for the demon panthers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So I logged in last night to an ent inside my base, he then began to swing and destroy the whole thing. Another ent came and helped smash it all to bits. While I am watching in horror, a goblin sneaks up behind me and knocks me out, stealing all my gear. Then a panther came and ate me.

I decided maybe the game was telling me that was a bad place to make my house.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Thanks for starting the thread, Elim. Sounds like the game is little under-cooked at the moment, so I think I'll stick with CONAN for a while until they improve the combat.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Thanks for starting the thread, Elim. Sounds like the game is little under-cooked at the moment, so I think I'll stick with CONAN for a while until they improve the combat.

The combat is actually already better than Conan's. But yes, the game devs said the game in its current state is about "30% finished" so at least they were honest.

I built a house near Evidar's houses. That's who I found in Dwarf-land.

Elimination on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Hm. Honestly, I got into ARK especifically cause it had dinosaurs and there's fuck all games with dinosaurs, I'm very much not into survival as a genre. Dragons and stuff don't have the same appeal. Think I'll pass on this one.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Server went down for a bit while I was at work, but service has been restored. In a shocking twist, my horse did not die overnight.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fairchild wrote: »

The combat is actually already better than Conan's. But yes, the game devs said the game in its current state is about "30% finished" so at least they were honest.

I built a house near Evidar's houses. That's who I found in Dwarf-land.

So I'm Evidar in game, so me and Elim just did a little adventure. Tamed a boat, mounted it and promptly got it killed. We've got a small village in the works, and we're right next to a ton of basic resources so we're getting stuff done. We've formed a dwarven clan on Elims server, either of us should be able to invite, I think I set it right.

Also it's a little weird how stairs are a tier 2 building part, but so are ladders, which considering they make base design easier and theoretically PVP seem light a straight upgrade.

• Options
    My ranking of terrifying scourges in the game so far:

1) Panthers
    2) Goblins
    3) The grim reaper scythe skeletons that meteor down near my house

Honorable mention goes to the Treant that destroyed @TheKoolEagle's house, and all of the monsters that don't want @Aiserou to have a boar for some reason.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Panthers are pretty fucked up right now. So powerful. Though sometimes you can lure goblins to the panthers and they will fight them and knock them out

• Options
    I built my first house on the beach. When I logged in the next day a treant was inside my base and angry. He punched it to death.
    So I built a new house, on a mountain. I even tamed 3 sheep, a level 132 boar, and a longhorn! When I logged in the next day, all my animals were dead an my house was half destroyed. Oh, also there was a panther inside my house. He also tore the rest of it down.

Now I live in shitty peaceful sheep land.

• Options
    I built my first house on the beach. When I logged in the next day a treant was inside my base and angry. He punched it to death.
    So I built a new house, on a mountain. I even tamed 3 sheep, a level 132 boar, and a longhorn! When I logged in the next day, all my animals were dead an my house was half destroyed. Oh, also there was a panther inside my house. He also tore the rest of it down.

I just unlocked spiked walls, I'm hoping they keep the animals at bay.

• Options

Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Okay so the first two houses I built ended in death and destruction, the third however is alive and well! I've upgraded to wood now and the house is starting to look cool

• Options
    It would appear that @Elimination s server is down.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    This looks interesting. I will definitely be keeping an eye on it. But 30% is a little too early for me. Especially if optimization is as poor as reported.

I love the craft/build/survive genre and I'm still looking for that "perfect game." The fantasy setting is appealing and if they lean more towards PVE in the long run, this game might hold potential.

I honestly do not understand why this genre is so obsessed with PVP. You know what my favorite game in genre has been so far? Dragon Quest Builders. Because it is entirely PVE.

But that game has a lot of flaws of its own, and I know the genre can produce better.

So anyway... Dark and Light. When you say it's basically the same devs as ARK, does that mean Wildcard? Or do you mean same publisher?

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    People like pvp because in theory fighting other players in a war for resources is fun. Building your base with defense in mind to defend against attackers is fun.

In practice you wake up and 3 days of work us gone. And it's awful.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Taking my server offline to update -- they've been doing hotfixes that still let you login to the server without it updating, and I want to pick all of them up and see how it goes. Will update when everything is done!
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So anyway... Dark and Light. When you say it's basically the same devs as ARK, does that mean Wildcard? Or do you mean same publisher?

It's the same publisher, and the game is clearly built on some fork of the Ark engine -- the publisher bought Wildcard in 2015, so probably some point around then. As far as I can tell no one's totally sure how involved Wildcard is, but it seems like they are helping out with development at least.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind the PVP if it was actual player versus player, as in people fighting each other.

But in practice, that isn't what happens. What really happens is offline raids, griefing, and the same general douchebaggery that happens across all genres of games.

I wish people would fight like gentlemen in PVP. Then I might actually enjoy it.

• Options
    Server is back! It's been updated with all of the hotfixes from this week, and I migrated it from the 60 gig install (only way to do it at launch) to the new 3 gig dedicated server client they released, meaning future updates will be much quicker.

Updating the server fixed the really annoying issue where your character model would constantly try to face the wrong direction, and I am now happy again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    how does this run- I heard its on the ark engine?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    About as poorly as Ark, in my experience! They're still the only 2 games that really tax my 980 Ti -- I have them near max at 1440p, but at around 30 FPS.

This may be the prettiest game I own, but you will pay for it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    The real deal, not-hotfix patch dropped earlier today. Notes are below:
    General Updates

Animation and Sound:

Weapons / Magic:
    Wooden Bow - Improved animations.
    Ghost Scythe - Added new sound effects to light and heavy attacks.
    Horses - Added hit and footstep sound effects.

Characters:
    Evades (crouch + movement direction) - Added a forward evade and improved animations for all evades.
    Adjusted various female character animations.
    Adjusted movement animations during character creation.

Balance:

General:
    Slightly increased the time for rare resource nodes to respawn after being depleted.

NPCs:
    City Guards - Increased base stats.
    NPC health recovery speed increased.

Creatures:
    Divine Creatures - Added spell damage resistance.
    Boss Creatures - Increased health pool.
    Infernus Dragon - Added spell damage resistance and fire damage immunity. Temporarily removed Flame Breath attack. Reduced respawn rate.
    Frost Dragon - Added spell damage resistance and ice damage immunity. Reduced respawn rate.
    Wyvern - Added spell damage resistance.
    Elementals - Added elemental damage immunity based on the Elemental’s type (i.e. Fire Elementals are now immune to fire damage).
    Ice Elemental - Added new water attack.
    Water Elemental - Increased respawn rate.
    Dark Fallen - Added dark damage immunity.
    Ice Wolf - Added ice damage resistance.
    Hellcat - Added fire damage resistance.
    Bahamut - Added fire damage resistance.
    Centaurs - Adjusted animations.
    Wolf - Reduced the amount of Raw Meat obtained from harvesting a Wolf corpse.

Characters:
    Friendly fire constitution damage reduced.
    City Lords - Adjusted the amount of gold required to enforce punishments.

Equipment / Magic:
    All Projectile Magic (Fireball, Frostbolt, Lightning, etc.) - Increased projectile max flight distance.
    Wall of Lightning - No longer damages structures.
    Small Spell Tower - Increased targeting range by 50%.
    Iron Hammer - Heavy attack hit detection improved.
    Iron Pick - Added a power attack (right-click).
    Spear - Can now aim vertically, even if it looks a bit awkward for now.
    All Armor Types - Adjusted physical and magic defense, and added spell resistance to be more in line with the armor tier, type, and weight.

New Content:

General:
    Using certain items will now increase related Knowledge node experience.

UI:
    Added Health and Mana bars when targeting creatures, NPCs, and other players.
    Adjusted tooltips in the Knowledge interface.
    Added icons above objects that can be interacted with.
    Ice Chunk - Changed the item icon.
    Server Selection UI - Now allows for longer server names.
    Keybinds - Cleaned up the menu and removed unused actions.

Bug Fixes

General:

Resetting Potion - Using it will no longer reset your unlocked Schematics.
    Wall of Lightning - Schema crafting requirements, damage tick frequency, and spell duration have all had their values corrected.
    Spider Web - Players can now move immediately after casting.
    Firestorm - Fixed damage against metal structures.
    Fertilizer - Fixed a bug where fertilizer would disappear from a crop plot after a short period of time.
    War Flag - Fixed a bug where, occasionally, after making a war declaration, the House that received the declaration would not be able to damage the declaring House’s structures.
    Framework Triangle Foundation - Corrected HP values.
    Stone and Iron Pickaxe and Axe - Improved hit detection, making it easier to gather from smaller resource nodes without needing to crouch.
    War Declaration - Fixed incorrect War Declaration time, now persists through server restarts. Fixed an issue where one House was unable to attack another even after receiving a War Declaration.
    Focusing Potion - Fixed a bug where it was uncraftable if learned after level 10.
    Bedrolls - Can now be picked up after placing and will retain durability usage.
    Parachute - Fixed a bug where players were still taking full fall damage even when using a Parachute.
    Dragon Transports - Temporarily removed Estel and Ironfast’s Dragon Transports while the system is redesigned.
    Wall Torch - Fixed a bug where Wall Torches would defy all logic and expand to dozens of times their original size when demolished.

NPCs:

Guards - Fixed a bug where Guards would occasionally spawn with only 1 HP. Can now actually look up and target / attack flying creatures.
    NPC Vendors - Now respawn in their set location within their city after a set period of time after being killed.

The Sacred Path:

Adjusted terrain in a number of locations around The Sacred Path where characters and creatures were getting stuck. This patch is focused mainly on the area around Ironfast.
    Fixed issues with floating foliage in a number of locations around The Sacred Path.

Creatures:

Fixed a bug where a character dismounting from certain creatures would allow them to clip through walls.
    Longhorn, Hellcat, and Infernus Dragon - Fixed a bug where these creatures would move backwards when using their normal attack while riding them. Power attacks still have this issue, and will be fixed in a future patch.
    Frost Dragon - Fixed a bug where Frost Dragons could be ridden without a saddle.
    Light Elemental - Fixed a bug where Light Elementals could be equipped with a saddle.

Graphical:

Made adjustments to the Female Guard Armor and Male Traveler Suit models.

Note: we're aware that there are still some issues with the Quest system, and we appreciate your feedback thus far. We're working on those bugs and we'll have a fix out as soon as possible.

Two of the highlights being:
    • Evades (crouch + movement direction) - Added a forward evade and improved animations for all evades.
    • Added Health and Mana bars when targeting creatures, NPCs, and other players.

Also noteworthy:
    • Infernus Dragon - Added spell damage resistance and fire damage immunity. Temporarily removed Flame Breath attack. Reduced respawn rate.

Because the predominant PvP meta up until this point appears to be "use glitches to get through walls and raid protection, burn everything alive with dragonfire" -- dev commentary says they took out the dragon's breath for now until they can get it all under control. Hooray official PvP servers!

Just updated my server, aaand it's good to go.

Edit: Wow, the targeting is cooler than I had hoped for. You can actually see the levels of creatures from far away! One of my biggest unaddressed complaints in Ark.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png