As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hollow Knight] Sequel: Now has a store page; still no release date

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Here's my actual attempt at what I think is happening going into the endgame:
    There was a king and he did some stuff. Then something happened and three people sealed a thing away to stop the infection? maybe? But now they want you to break it because you, as a little beetle, can better contain the thing than the flawed whatever it was. And now you should go do that.

Oh and also now i'm the king I guess. That happened too.

That's broadly accurate, yes.
    The king of Hallownest created a perfect vessel for the infection, one that was meant to be keep it away from his kingdom. A sacrifice of three powerful beings was necessary to seal away the vessel. However, a flaw in the vessel has allowed the infection to slowly spread from its prison. A new vessel needs to be put in place to stop the infection from spreading and devouring everything.

Further lore does explain the true nature and origins of the vessel, the infection, the king, and the player.

The white tree lady, incidentally, was the queen of Hallownest, and has some connection with the origins of the little beetle. She offers the fragment as a means for the player to discover their true origins and open up the possibility of a different fate than becoming a replacement vessel.

The lore hidden throughout the game does explain everything, in greater detail, but it doesn't ever lay it all out in one go, and you need to search it out and piece it together yourself. Personally, I loved it and devoured every scrap of story. Brave little beetle person, and their quest...

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Argh, I want to buy this, but Steam Summer Sale is so close!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    All grubs saved, all charms gotten. I have about 70 or so essence I need to get before the final one of those things. All the monster logs I have access to have been filled so I assume i'm missing the last few bosses for there. I also have one more health shard thing I need to find somewhere.

Another npc died :(

I'll probably try for the third arena battle then go for what I assume to be the boss.

Of course it could just be a big switcheroo and there's still 10 hours of main story left to go.

E: It's absolutely worth full price if you like these kinds of games but yeah no reason to wait a couple days and see.

Aistan on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Waiting for it on another console is worse. I want this game on my Switch!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Waiting for it on another console is worse. I want this game on my Switch!

yes!

yesterday, preferably!

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    So if one were picking between this and Dead Cells, has anyone got some compare / contrast points to offer?

I'll probably end up getting both at some point but I'm trying to balance against the Crimson Court expansion for Darkest Dungeons and my as-yet-untouched Monks and Mystics-added CK2 time, plus Overwatch, so it's a one-or-the-other situation right now.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Dead Cells is a drastically better feeling action game, but the static, gorgeous Hollow Knight world trumps Dead Cells' by a mile. You'll probably get similar amounts of play time out of either.

• Options
    I beat the final boss, now i'm going back and trying to get the last few things I missed. I'm kind of stumped though. I'm at 98%, so I assume the last couple are that mask piece i'm missing as well as the last creature journal entry. I've no idea where to go to find them though.

There aren't any out-standing npcs I can think of to talk to, and no blank areas on the map. I've also returned to everywhere of note I can recall, trying to use the dream nail on stuff.

Would prefer to not look up a walkthrough since that would just miss the entire point, but i'm assuming it's something lore-related that has gone entirely over my head.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Well, if you don't mind suggestions, the last things people usually miss are:
    The Trial of Fools in the Arena counts for 1%, if you haven't done that already.
    The last mask piece people usually have to get is from the Grey Mourner, who is in the Resting Grounds to the far east. You gotta do a quest for her first.

The complete Hunter's Journal is not required for 100%, I got 100% without it.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I have done that. I don't know who that is for the other thing though, I guess I could go check. Earlier I went through and cleared the entire place out and there was nothing left but I probably missed something.

E: Yup, I missed a smashy ceiling block.

E E: Ahahah holy fuck, this quest. Goddamn. Well... here we go.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    And with the Hunter's Mark got, that's the end of everything I needed to do in Hollow Knight. Pretty great game, honestly. The aesthetic did a ton to elevate it above other similar games, but I also enjoyed the gameplay quite a bit.

Even if I never used a charge-up attack once in my entire playthrough.

Dang it sure makes sense why they put in that other achievement re: Zote. What a piece of shit. Doubt i'll start it up again just to get that one but it's nice to know it's out there.

E: Also not exactly accurate since after the final final boss I went back to do that other stuff, but:
    Dammit if only I had been one minute faster.

F3ADEE7923E806DE553A4F211BEDE408C4BF7550

Aistan on
  • Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    So I bought this in the Steam sale and am just starting it up. I'm trying to stay mostly unspoiled, but is there anything I should know to do or not do to avoid having to play through twice? I still recall finding out I had missed several steps in Cave Story to get the best ending and had to restart.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I also just 100% it. Great game, loved the art style and the gameplay, could have done without the pixel platforming of some of the last sections. Still a solid 9/10.
    9b24zj1dqujl.jpg
    rattletrap wrote: »
    So I bought this in the Steam sale and am just starting it up. I'm trying to stay mostly unspoiled, but is there anything I should know to do or not do to avoid having to play through twice? I still recall finding out I had missed several steps in Cave Story to get the best ending and had to restart.

Nothing required for the 'best' ending gets locked behind a door, you can get 100% at any point in the game.

• Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    rattletrap wrote: »

Nothing required for the 'best' ending gets locked behind a door, you can get 100% at any point in the game.

Perfect thanks.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My primary complaint is the player's DPS. I strained my thumb trying to beat this game. I will probably KBAM as much as possible next playthrough, switching to a controller when shit gets real.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Cantido wrote: »
    My primary complaint is the player's DPS. I strained my thumb trying to beat this game. I will probably KBAM as much as possible next playthrough, switching to a controller when shit gets real.

For games where you need to stab a lot, I like when they go the Ys III route and just make it rapid-fire as long as you hold the button.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i found playing it on kbam to strain my hands, to be honest.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I completed the White Palace

My poor thumbs . . .

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »

My poor thumbs . . .

Honestly, it's such a blight on an otherwise perfect game. I really was just not expecting that kind of difficulty in platforming from this kind of title. It gets difficult in other areas sure, particularly when getting grubs... but hot damn. Palace just kicks it up too high. Thank god that section is as short as it is.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I also got this during the steam sale. Have only played it about 15 minutes so far, but I liked how tight and well-tuned the jumping and melee game mechanics felt.

Don't like that you have to buy map sections and you don't just auto-map as you go.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I've been playing it since about a week before the steam sale...definately tickles my Dark Souls itch in some ways.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »

My poor thumbs . . .

Honestly, it's such a blight on an otherwise perfect game. I really was just not expecting that kind of difficulty in platforming from this kind of title. It gets difficult in other areas sure, particularly when getting grubs... but hot damn. Palace just kicks it up too high. Thank god that section is as short as it is.

That place would not nearly be aggravating if the checkpointing/save points weren't as terrible as they were. As it stand, you pretty much need Hiveblood to get through it unless you're some kind of masocore savant, and it just bogs the hole damn thing down something fierce. On top of that, while the game generally has good controls, it just doesn't feel that right for the kind of precise platforming WP demands (and that's probably due to some funky hitboxes). It's miserable.

When it's finished, instead of feeling accomplished, you're just glad the whole thing is over with.

• Options
    I used Hiveblood after getting to the halfway point, but I've read that Spell Twister, Grubsong, and Deep Focus is another good combo for White Palace. Two hits should give you enough soul to heal two health. I imagine it wouldn't be nearly as slow with that, and you'd essentially have unlimited attempts.

Really wish I'd stopped and considered what charms I was using before getting to the halfway point... took so long...

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    ...I enjoyed White Palace a lot. It was fun. Admittedly, I do enjoy Super Meat Boy, so I'm not exactly turned off by platforming.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    ...I enjoyed White Palace a lot. It was fun. Admittedly, I do enjoy Super Meat Boy, so I'm not exactly turned off by platforming.

I enjoyed most of it accept for those stupid tunnels.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MandresMandres Registered User regular
    I just picked this up too and I'm a couple hours into it. Enjoying it a lot so far. I wish there was a way to annotate the map so I can remember where inaccessible items are to return later.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I am on the final final boss, taking a break because they're just really a jerk.

I truly loved the white palace, it was frustrating but in a good way.

The one thing that I actually love about this game (this is not actually a spoiler other than for some background on the plague):
    The plot can be boiled down to some bugs being attracted to light. It's a really funny joke that's never overtly stated.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I spent hours struggling with the Trial of Fools

Decided to progress the main story, and inadvertently unlocked the Nailsage's charm

Which probably would've been pretty useful in the Trial of Fools -_-

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    As a reminder, keep an eye out for Hidden Dreams sometime this month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q-HWedUolo

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Hey, Colosseum of Fools? Go fuck yourself. More specifically, the damn bugs that shoot three directions at once can go fuck themselves. Not cool making me think I won the first (!!!) trial then throw even more enemies at me.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Yeah, sitting at 99% completion myself. The late game platforming? Blew through in 25 minutes. Optional bosses? Two or three tries and done. Arena of Fools? Five hours and still can't get more than halfway. The best strategy I have is basically spawn camping. Charged strike everything you can the second it pops. Aerial bounce from anything else.

After about an hour of attempts, my thumb hurts enough that I have to stop and do something else.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Watcher Knight is driving me crazy; suggestions?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    You can get above that room and drop the chandelier to permanently kill one of the bodies so you only face five. That made the fight for me, it was definitely one of the harder bosses to get past in my run.

• Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    You can get above that room and drop the chandelier to permanently kill one of the bodies so you only face five. That made the fight for me, it was definitely one of the harder bosses to get past in my run.

That might do it, thanks. I've been getting mostly through and getting punked, as with most of the bosses in this.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Hey, Colosseum of Fools? Go fuck yourself. More specifically, the damn bugs that shoot three directions at once can go fuck themselves. Not cool making me think I won the first (!!!) trial then throw even more enemies at me.

I think I've mentioned it in this thread before, but despite all the huge, powerful, or agile enemies you encounter in this game, somehow those fucking Primal Aspids are the most dangerous/irritating.

• Options
    edited July 2017

That might do it, thanks. I've been getting mostly through and getting punked, as with most of the bosses in this.

Also, when I beat them, the downward/bounce strike again seemed to just break the fight. Just look for the tell that they're bouncing up instead of rolling, and you can get them down pretty quickly.

Edit: It's interesting to see people saying the Colosseum was a blocker for them, it seemed really easy to me, although it went on a little too long. I had a lot of trouble with some of the bosses though, specifically Lost Kin and the Failed Champion. (and mantis lords, but that's because they're introduced too early imo) Oh, and soul master, he was a true jerk.

cursedking on
  • Options

Also, when I beat them, the downward/bounce strike again seemed to just break the fight. Just look for the tell that they're bouncing up instead of rolling, and you can get them down pretty quickly.

Yeah, the problem's been less killing them than lasting long enough to finish the last couple of guys. I think I may be too invested in charged attacks at this point, but they've worked real well on most fights besides Marmu.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I finally beat the Fools arena, after about 15 hours of attempts. I went with a pure nail strategy - Quick Slash, Mark of Pride, Nail Arts. I initially tried the magic build that can snipe the smaller guys in a shot, but I had trouble with lining them up. Switching to the nail, I charged shot everything and memorized the spawns. So, for example, on the platform part where primal aspids and the shooting mosquitoes alternate spawns, there is just enough time to charge a nail art and snipe them as they spawn moving back side to side. With a bit of timing on jumps, you can hit almost anything.

Once I had the spawns memorized, I prioritized sniping bugs - like the aspids - and anything aggressive, and I healed on the shield guys. For the minibosses like the ugly spitting bug, Quick Slash spam.

The spawn sniping nail arts was 100% crucial for the aerial section. Stay at the top, snipe as they approach, and use downward strikes to drive the four-shot diagonal bugs into the spikes. I think I died more to the spider spam right after the aerial section than the section itself; it was common for me to pass the aerials with two health left and get deluged in stupid spiders before I could heal. Eventually, I stopped bothering with healing and used charge shot there too.

The final boss killed me 5 times before I figured out the strategy there. Aerial downward strikes all day, every day. His spit only hits in front. Jump up, downward strike. When he starts to roll, land opposite. His return roll will perfect seek, so dodge out of the way and you know where he'll open up.

With 100% completion, time to go murder the final boss.

Edit: Final boss murdered.
    The Void will consume all!

gavindel on
    Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    The new DLC is out!
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/367520/announcements/detail/1327847269945274512
    So whaddya get? Here’s the rundown:

2 New Bosses - Leap into battle with the mightiest foes! These epic new duels will test even the most skilled of players. Each fight grants rewards to the victor, though note: Engaging with each imposing boss is entirely optional! Who are these enigmatic, impossible-to-discern figures? We’re not telling! It’s up to you to find out!

2 New Tracks - Epic battles need epic music and Chris’s been preparing just that, with stirring new boss themes for each encounter! He's gone all out on these ones!

New Upgrade: Dream Gate - Discover a whole new method of traversing Hallownest! Slice through the Veil and travel in an instant from one corner of the kingdom to another.

A New Stag Station Uncovered - Hallownest’s stags once travelled the breadth of the kingdom, but with the departure of the King, one station was walled away, hidden from bugs and forgotten by stags, until now!

Hollow Knight: Hidden Dreams content is accessible at any point in the game, whether starting fresh or scouring for completion.

HiT BiT on