As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX AUS 2017 Challenge Coin -All done!

fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin ManNewcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited December 2018 in PAX Australia
eOCCIvy.png
What is a PAX Challenge Coin? Click here for details.
Last year's thread (this OP will be frequently updated with the latest info on design/ordering/etc).

Second batch order form is now live: http://bit.ly/PAXAusCoin2017

Order form and production art:
Here's the order form:

http://tiny.cc/PAXAUS2017ChallengeCoin

Let me know if you have any issues.

Production art:

2TrHyrGl.jpg

Design:
So this should be near the final art for both sides.

The front "gaming" side design is based on a suggestion from @CuZZa in last years thread. I've substituted the wombat for an emu as I thought we could try evoking our coat of arms more directly. It was kindly illustrated by Kris Straub of chainsawsuit.com fame.

Front:

SAgu2tA.png

Colour version should look something like this. FYI I'm hoping to get a version of the design with outlines separate from the background so it will be easier for the conversion into 3D on the coin.

Back (featuring St Paul’s Cathedral, located across the road from Federation Square):

e3f2keM.png

I have contacted the production company and the order form should be live in a week or so. You'll have the option of ordering one via mail or pickup at PAX.

I'll let everyone know via email when it's ready.

Original OP content here:
Putting this up late (as usual) but we actually have less to do this year so it should be quicker to get going.

Things we worked out last year that we're sticking with this year:

The poll results last year were pretty conclusive, so we're keeping the Latin phrase as "NULLUS ANXIETAS" and doing a colour version of the coin alongside the standard one. We might revisit this in a few years if enough people ask about it in future threads.

Coins will have reeded edges and be antique gold like last years coins.

DESIGN:

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

Kris Straub has agreed to do the art for the gaming side of the coin this year!

J9vqQUK.png

That is not his art, btw.

The design is based on a suggestion from @CuZZa in last years thread. I've substituted the wombat for an emu as I thought we could try evoking our coat of arms more directly. Kris is a busy man so there's a small chance something could come up and he won't be able to do the design, but we'll cross that bridge when/if we come to it. Otherwise should have the final art in a week or two.

For the location side I'm suggesting St Paul’s Cathedral.

qdTi6yk.png

The sky's a bit gloomy in this pic I took, so I might edit that to be something a bit brighter if we go with it. I think close-up architecture like this works pretty well on these coins, but let me know what you think.

We're a ways from opening orders up obviously (thanks to @akidderz and his company btw!), but I'm going to start putting the form together in the next day or two on my end. We should have enough time this year to have a mail order option for the first batch of coins, as well as pickup at the show.

fishfishmonkeyhat on

• Capt WasabiCapt Wasabi AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Awesome!
    Thanks for manufacturing this not legal tender

• PDP11PDP11 Registered User regular
    I agree that the St Paul's sky needs a tweak but I would also remove the large grey building on the right of the cathedral.

For the other side I would like to suggest the Microbee logo. Should be simple to ask for permission to use their logo. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroBee

Given I never received two batches of coins I will have to sort out if I have a credit in their system.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    PDP11 wrote: »
    I agree that the St Paul's sky needs a tweak but I would also remove the large grey building on the right of the cathedral.

I dunno, I kinda like the juxtaposition of the old and the new.

I can't believe I spelt juxtaposition right on the first try.

• CryadisCryadis Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    I dunno, I kinda like the juxtaposition of the old and the new.

I can't believe I spelt juxtaposition right on the first try.

However, removing the building might help to frame the cathedral better (stand out more).

Anyway, super excited for this year's coin :3

wsfchvkv6bv1.png

• FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    I had totally forgotten the Cookie Brigade drop bear art was on last years coin :biggrin:
    But yay more shinees to throw my money at!

If you ever go with a coat of arms (kangaroo and emu) I would suggest they should be framed or overlayed with a knife and fork. what other country eats their national emblems?

• SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I agree with removing the grey building. Make the cathedral stand out more.

• Dark KingDark King Registered User regular
    Maybe the Royal Exhibition Building? Easier to get photos of it without other structures in the background.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Hey guys sorry I've been MIA for a little bit, life stuff etc.

I've updated the back with a better sky and removed the building (also brightened the cathedral itself, but that probably won't matter for how it will look on the coin):

e3f2keM.png

Let me know what you think.

If Kris can't get the front design completed by the end of this week (as expected he's a busy man, but he said he'd try!) I'm going to move onto my backup artist, as we need to get these going soon if we want a mail-out option included in the first batch.

While we wait for that I'm going to start putting the order form together in google. I might want to do 2 separate forms this year, but we'll see how complicated it looks once I get started.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
    Looking good.

Thanks.

Other than a few details the order form is pretty much sorted. I've managed to combine the pickup and shipping forms from last year into a single document. Should streamline the ordering process a bit.

Good people of the challenge coin thread, may I present to you:

SAgu2tA.png

sxuLNWl.png

Think they came out great.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    wow, that's really good!

RE: what's currently happening.

I have contacted the production company and the order form should be live in a week or so. You'll have the option of ordering one via mail or pickup at PAX.

I'll let everyone know via email when it's ready.

• Tangram11Tangram11 Registered User regular
    Looks good.

• tomandjebinspacetomandjebinspace Registered User regular
    This looks really good! Literally only just discovered this so how will ordering take place?

Art has been sent to the manufacturer so currently waiting on them to get back to me.

Once everything looks good and they start producing them I'll post the order form link.

• helgirlhelgirl Customer Champ Hobart, TasmaniaRegistered User regular
    It looks amazing!

This year will you be accepting payment for direct mail delivery as well as the option of pickup at PAX Aus?

That's the current plan @PDP11.

Just getting a few corrections to the art sorted now and we should be good to go soonish.

• InterestingMixInterestingMix A little bit of everything really Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Do we have an order form coming this week @fishfishmonkeyhat ? Can't wait to order another one of these beauties

m6s4s1d.png

Woosh!
    Hopefully. Still waiting on the new art.

Ok here's the art:

2TrHyrGl.jpg

And here's the order form!

http://tiny.cc/PAXAUS2017ChallengeCoin

I'll send an email out to subs tomorrow, but you guys get an early peek.

Let me know if there's any issues.

• agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Ordered! Thank you kind sir for making these bits of awesomeness!

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Will def check on pay day to see if any are available.

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• tomandjebinspacetomandjebinspace Registered User regular
    Ordered. Awesome stuff!!

edited September 2017
    My order for PAX Aus 2017 gifts and prizes done.
    Email with details also sent to Martin to sort out shipping of my outstanding orders held at Kidder Corp.

PDP11 on
    34 standard and 32 colour coins ordered so far. Not bad considering I haven't even sent out the group mail yet (next on my todo list, should be done tonight).

Ok sent.

If you think you should be on the mail list and don't get it in the next 24 hours let me know.

• DevereauxDevereaux Registered User regular
    Coins ordered!! 8-)

Check out my lanyard and let's trade ;)https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Devereaux
  • Tangram11Tangram11 Registered User regular
    Ordered, thanks.

Now have confirmation from Kidder Corp that my lost post-PAX Aus coin orders from 2015 and 2016 are going to be re-shipped with my 2017 order. They get to fly around the world yet again. It is a pity I don't get frequent flyer points for the distance they travel.

Typically PAX AUS provides the first prize in a range of tournaments and I donate a small number of coins as secondary prizes for RoboRally and Joust tournaments. The coins are just a small memento for the prize winners i.e. no cash value. There were only a small number of 2015/2016 coins in my post-PAX orders that went missing and the intention is they provide a small boost in this years prizes. This all depends on if:
    • The coins arrive before PAX Aus and I attend with the prizes
    • Tabletop area has the RoboRally game available in 2017.
    • There is a single RoboRally tournament (in past years this was run on Saturday night)
    • There is a tournament signup at the Tabletop Library Desk (typically only a very limited number of tournament seats available)
    • It is acceptable to PAX Aus to donate some Challenge Coins as tournament prizes
    • The prize envelopes don't go missing or get lost
    • The RoboRally organisers are willing to award secondary prizes.
    As you can see there are a large number of 'ifs' so 2015, 2016 and 2017 coins might not be awarded.There are no guarantees of any or all coins being awarded..

In 2016 there were Johann Sebastian Joust (typically just known as 'Joust') tournaments at 12 noon on each day and hopefully this year will be the same. If all goes to plan there will be some 2017 coins for secondary prizes. Again, no guarantees.

edited October 2017
    So your orders from the last 2 years were sent back to them? Did you work out what the issue was?

fishfishmonkeyhat on
    edited October 2017
    2016 is easy. I included all the info in the PayPal transaction such as the quantity of each type of coin, shipping cost, my address, etc. My guess is this order info was included with all the other orders so that the correct quantity of coins were produced. I had problems trying to update your online spreadsheet and never received any confirmation of success or failure. They used your spreadsheet address data for the mailing which means they had some leftover coins. When I supplied my PayPal transaction number the order could be completed.

2015 coins appear to have toured the world racking up frequent flyer points then returned.

PDP11 on
    So far 74 standard and 62 colour coins have been purchased.

Contacting KidderCorp now to see what our cut-off date should be and check how things are going.

I should be able to place an order tonight ;)

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• InterestingMixInterestingMix A little bit of everything really Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Done! I love this gorgeous lil things

m6s4s1d.png

Woosh!
  • FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Le Ordered!

Order Placed!

steam_sig.png

• AuzziePythonAuzziePython Registered User new member
    So where will we pick up the coins at PAX if we picked that option

GdjuMXd.png