As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heaven 'n Hell, Plug 'n Play (Super NES Classic, etc.)

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    "Significant amount" = "Not enough to prevent the SNES Classic situation from becoming a clusterfuck"

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I feel it's odd that the Atari and Genesis handhelds have SD card ports so you can add your own Roms. Like "Hey, please put pirate content on our systems!" Stranger still, the console versions of them don't keep that feature. It's bizarre to so blatantly encourage this in a licensed consumer product - and that they do it selectively only in the portable space.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    This month meaning August from that quote earlier?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    To be honest, I hope they announce specifically when as we get closer. Yes, it prompts scalpers to ready their guns, but I really don't want to stare at the NowInStock page any longer than I have to. Even if it was like, "Hey, Preorders will be live this Friday. We're not going to disclose the time to discourage scalping items, but yeah. Definitely Friday."

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    This month meaning August from that quote earlier?

I think it'd have to be, since July already came and went.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    EB told me flat out that they weren't doing SNES pre-orders, so I wonder if anyone else in Canada will be.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    It would be real cool to just walk into a store and pick one of those NEScs off a shelf, but I know it'll never happen lol.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    Wow, they're giving away as many as they sold.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Apparently the new Genesis mini-console is absolute garbage, but the new Atari one is pretty good.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Huh that Atari one looks really nice.

Nice video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgY0WtTg4jw

I might have to get that.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I'd put up with the bad sound/iffy controllers on the Genesis one for HDMI if they hadn't completely crapped on the library. No Ecco, Sonic 3 or Streets of Rage is just crazy. The Atari one is tempting though.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Don't forget there's actually FOUR versions of the Atari Flashback coming. Here's a guide to which games are in what. (The portable one has some Namco games the others don't, but it doesn't have Activision.)

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Apparently the new Genesis mini-console is absolute garbage,
    Bah, apparently that site won't lead for me at work, but that comes as zero surprise.
    but the new Atari one is pretty good.
    This is less surprising since Atari emulation is much easier. On the downside, I really don't have interest in an Atari console because most of the games of that era are things I get bored with after 10 minutes or one play session.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    Apparently the new Genesis mini-console is absolute garbage,
    Bah, apparently that site won't lead for me at work, but that comes as zero surprise.

Not only is the emulation on that system iffy, the game collection is weird (it's slim, missing some big names like Sonic 3, and padded out with non-Sega homebrew that's crappy) and the controllers are frequently unresponsive and require a screwdriver to replace a AA battery.

You're better off getting the collections released way back on the 360/PS3.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    http://kotaku.com/genesis-flashback-review-units-were-faulty-maker-says-1797484326

AT Games claims the review units were all faulty, it's not a bad product we swear!

• Options
    I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, they want a second go at it and CNet seems to have a caveat that they're getting a second round of legitimate consoles to test and review. So *shrug* maybe it'll be better.

• Options
    I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, they want a second go at it and CNet seems to have a caveat that they're getting a second round of legitimate consoles to test and review. So *shrug* maybe it'll be better.
    Or, like, a fifth go at it if you count all the other dud Genesis Flashback releases.

• Options
    Apparently the new Genesis mini-console is absolute garbage, but the new Atari one is pretty good.
    Someone should tell the author the site isn't "Gizmondo."

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Or, like, a fifth go at it if you count all the other dud Genesis Flashback releases.

Well yeah... I'm not saying that they're not completely full of shit, I'm just hoping that maybe the other ones are better. I almost assuredly won't get one anyway because that games list is pretty lame. More competition is good for the market though, I just want better competition so Nintendo doesn't cancel their production the day after release.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Well yeah... I'm not saying that they're not completely full of shit, I'm just hoping that maybe the other ones are better. I almost assuredly won't get one anyway because that games list is pretty lame. More competition is good for the market though, I just want better competition so Nintendo doesn't cancel their production the day after release.

"you think I'd release this if I thought there was a chance you could get one? I cancelled production twenty minutes ago"

I'm glad they're actually putting HDMI on the AtGames stuff now, at least. I will be waiting for that second round of reviews to see if they were really dealt a bum hand by bad review units.

• Options
    Even if they do magically fix things, you've still got to deal with the pain-in-the-ass battery swap situation as well as a shittier list of games than in past collections.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    "Screwed on battery cover" is right up there with "Switch carts taste like ass" on the list of things I appreciate as the parent of a two year old.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Even if they do magically fix things, you've still got to deal with the pain-in-the-ass battery swap situation as well as a shittier list of games than in past collections.
    Yeah, there were some criticisms in the review quotes that I can't possibly fathom how "old firmware" is responsible for. It'll be fun to see the reviews of the "fixed" version in a few weeks talking about how it still sucks.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    "Screwed on battery cover" is right up there with "Switch carts taste like ass" on the list of things I appreciate as the parent of a two year old.

The original N-Gage made you remove the back cover and battery to change games. No kidding, look at this shitty design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNQYVZGYnSg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    And that wasn't even the most absurd thing about the original n-gage.

pic2.jpg

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

The original N-Gage made you remove the back cover and battery to change games. No kidding, look at this shitty design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNQYVZGYnSg

I remember. I had one for a long time, though I never really used it. But that's still a different level of annoyance. Unless those controllers only last a few hours, the battery cover shouldn't be a big deal.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Even though I grew up with the NES, the SNES is one of, if not my favorite system of all time.

I must find a way to own a SNES Classic because the list of games one it is as close to a best of list that you can get. It has a few omissions but any list of games will. I'm just glad that Square has such a fantastic representation on it considering just how many classics they created for the SNES.

I'm hopeful that I will get ahold of one considering I managed to snag an NES Mini and Nintendo seems to be touting that this one will have a higher production.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    N-Gage looks like the craziest thing ever, but I'd love to find one cheap just to mess around with it. Apparently it actually did have a couple good games for it.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Even though I grew up with the NES, the SNES is one of, if not my favorite system of all time.

I must find a way to own a SNES Classic because the list of games one it is as close to a best of list that you can get. It has a few omissions but any list of games will. I'm just glad that Square has such a fantastic representation on it considering just how many classics they created for the SNES.

I'm hopeful that I will get ahold of one considering I managed to snag an NES Mini and Nintendo seems to be touting that this one will have a higher production.

All I would need is King Arthur's World for it and I'm set.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      ZythonZython Registered User regular

I hope I can get two. I want to give one to my brother for Channukah.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
      Steam: pazython
    • Options
      anoffday wrote: »
      N-Gage looks like the craziest thing ever, but I'd love to find one cheap just to mess around with it. Apparently it actually did have a couple good games for it.

Pocket Kingdom was alright as a Dragon Force style game. And the system had a RIFTS game that was pretty decent and still the only video game adaptation of the universe.

• Options
      webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
      Man I saw that Japan is getting Legend of the Mystical Ninja. I rented the shit out of that game growing up. I would have LOVED to have another opportunity to play it. I know I can either get a cart and system or whatever else. Still wish it was coming on the new mini SNES.

Steam ID: Webguy20
      Origin ID: Discgolfer27
      Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Man at this rate, I'm pretty excited for the Mini VirtualBoy

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
        webguy20 wrote: »
        Man I saw that Japan is getting Legend of the Mystical Ninja. I rented the shit out of that game growing up. I would have LOVED to have another opportunity to play it. I know I can either get a cart and system or whatever else. Still wish it was coming on the new mini SNES.

Mystical Ninja was great! I bought it not long after it came out. I remember being confused because some stuff I saw in a preview in Nintendo Power or some other game wasn't actually in the game, despite my searching everywhere. I guess it was either cut from the American version or cut entirely. I don't even remember what it was; probably just some minigame that was at the carnival level.

• Options
        anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
        anoffday wrote: »

Pocket Kingdom was alright as a Dragon Force style game. And the system had a RIFTS game that was pretty decent and still the only video game adaptation of the universe.

It also got that elder scrolls game that has never been released on anything else. That blew my mind when I heard about it, and seems like it was way before it's time. I never played it, but it didn't look bad.

Steam: offday
      • Options
        shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

You can get Mystical Ninja on Virtual Console if you're jonseing to play it.

• Options
        Don't you only have one soul to trade with the devil?

• Options
        With only 21 games, I can kind of see why LotMN wouldn't have made it on the U.S. list.

I loved the game but was never any good at it. I always just hoped to make it to the Carnival stage where I would goof off for at least an hour with all the minigames until I ran out of money. Never could beat the in-game Gradius either.