As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Roleplaying Games] Thank God I Finally Have A Table For Cannabis Potency.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Ardent wrote: »
    But D&D doesn't outline that as necessary or even a good idea. It just assumes you'd make them roll for every murder.

"Wow, so you roll for every murder, huh?"

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    DMing D&D 4E for my kids has been a similar kind of re-education for me. They don't have this over-rolling mindset, so most of the time they're just telling me what they do rather than what they want to do. They only roll when I ask them to, and even if the roll is low they don't assume it's a failure. I also quickly realized that I was calling for rolls just out of habit, rather than to see if anything interesting happened. Recognizing both of those things has made for a much better time practicing fail-forward, because there's considerably less improv fatigue on my end of the table.

It's really eye-opening to look at these games through the lens of someone who truly hasn't had any kind of RPG experience before. I almost feel like every game should be playtested by children just to expose what kind of paradigms you're working from that you might not have realized you had.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My friend Bull suckered me into doing this RPGaDay thing. https://rpgaday.com/

I don't do stuff like that. But.. seems like it would be fun.

1) My heart is always in Shadowrun. But my passion games are Fading Suns and Legend of the Five Rings. Luckily Coreolis has a Very "Fading Suns" feel, so maybe that will help!
    2) I'd love to see something Final Fantasy esque.. with dragons. More RPGs need to let you ride dragons and mechs and such.
    3) My FLGS, Red Raccoon Games, has some very knowledgable people that I turn to for advice. Otherwise, I follow gaming news on the Penny Arcade forums, specifically Critical Failures.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Are there any resources out there for L5R Rpg communities? It's something I've been meaning to look in to

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Are there any resources out there for L5R Rpg communities? It's something I've been meaning to look in to

The L5R communities I've joined on Facebook are all-encompassing - CCG, LCG, and RPG.

I think everyone and their brother is expecting an L5R RPG announcement at GenCon (either Genesys or its own system), so you'll see more traction then.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    I kinda wish they would just continue with the system as it exists. Sure, the CCG was a hot mess of half-baked ideas. But honestly, the RPG was rough at the start but they nailed it down with each new edition. 4th Ed really got that chambara action thing well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what FFG has planned.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any opinions on Traveller? Mostly because they just dumped a big mega campaign and as far as buying RPG's for reading material goes that would carry me quite a while.

• Options
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    I kinda wish they would just continue with the system as it exists. Sure, the CCG was a hot mess of half-baked ideas. But honestly, the RPG was rough at the start but they nailed it down with each new edition. 4th Ed really got that chambara action thing well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what FFG has planned.

We know they bought the IP and art assets, and by looks of it the rights to publish the old books. I do not know if this encompasses the rule systems though. It probably does, but given the story reboot they likely want to start fresh. It worked well for Disney and Lucasfilm, after all.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any opinions on Traveller? Mostly because they just dumped a big mega campaign and as far as buying RPG's for reading material goes that would carry me quite a while.

The character generation is the best aspect of the whole game.

But I want a copy of it just for the character generation.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I said Traveller not Shadowrun :rotate:

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Do we every have any games running on Discord or Roll20 etc?

Play by Post is fun, but so slow. I'd totally be down to play something live in a chat environment. Even if it was every-other-week or something for a couple hours in the evening.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »

Play by Post is fun, but so slow. I'd totally be down to play something live in a chat environment. Even if it was every-other-week or something for a couple hours in the evening.

I've been mulling over starting a Star Wars game over Discord in a few weeks. I need to see how my social life settles out.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2017

We (That DnD Podcast) play Dungeon World, Apocalypse World, Blades in the Dark, and Star Trek Adventures over Discord/Roll20. We recently finished a Dresden Files Accelerated game, and will be firing up Marvel Heroic Roleplaying soon.

I've been mulling over a crazy MHRP idea if that's the sort of thing that interests you.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Marvel Heroics?

:(

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

jdarksun wrote: »

We (That DnD Podcast) play Dungeon World, Apocalypse World, Blades in the Dark, and Star Trek Adventures over Discord/Roll20. We recently finished a Dresden Files Accelerated game, and will be firing up Marvel Heroic Roleplaying soon.

I've been mulling over a crazy MHRP idea if that's the sort of thing that interests you.

They're not the only game in town but at least CF-wise they're the main one / the nexus of it.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

I am open to pretty much anything and everything so long as my schedule matches up. Is Marvel Heroic the one where you play established characters, instead of generating your own?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    God I want to play Star Trek Adventures

My two of my three given names are for Star Trek shit

I need this

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options

I am open to pretty much anything and everything so long as my schedule matches up. Is Marvel Heroic the one where you play established characters, instead of generating your own?

There is a think in the Civil War books for making your own. But for the most part you play established characters. I made a thing for one of my games long ago where I had some character creation rules in place, The Young Avengers game.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    The Young Avengers game was awesome and I'm still sad it stalled out.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Me too. I really want to do another MHRPG game, maybe the Marvel Noir game, but I'm not doing Pbp. It's really hard to keep interest and it hurts when the game falls and it's something you really love. I think something over Discord but my current internet isn't going to be able to handle that.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017

There is a think in the Civil War books for making your own. But for the most part you play established characters. I made a thing for one of my games long ago where I had some character creation rules in place, The Young Avengers game.

Honestly, every MHRP game we had going here play-by-post had some good ideas. I was having a great time as Mr. Freeze when we tried the Arkham game.

E: and a pretty good one as Avalanche in dresdenphile's game, which I hadn't remembered quite as vividly.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I occasionally reinstall the old dos Traveller games and never make it out of chargen.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

I need this

I am really happy with the one session I've done so far and am looking forward to session #2 tomorrow

I'm going a little crazy with this. I'm looking into making an intro for our series in Blender.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

I need this
    I am really happy with the one session I've done so far and am looking forward to session #2 tomorrow

I'm going a little crazy with this. I'm looking into making an intro for our series in Blender.
    Have you checked out the SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERIES AND DEVELOPMENTS rules? I feel like I'm missing something when I read them.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

I need this

Have you checked out the SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERIES AND DEVELOPMENTS rules? I feel like I'm missing something when I read them.

I have! I think I understand most of it. Which parts are bugging you?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    My one session with Star Trek Adventures has been excellent! It's funny how quickly the players fall into playing a Star Trek role and thinking like a Starfleet officer. They had a philosophical discussion about the Prime Directive! Although, given the nature of my group, we skew a bit more toward "Galaxy Quest" than "Star Trek", at times.

The main thing is getting them used to the idea of exchanging the narrative currency and buying dice/rerolls, since none of them play FATE on the regular. They didn't even touch their Determination pools. But they easily got a handle on the teamwork mechanics and how to support each other with complementary tasks.

There was one point where the First Officer was making a video log entry into the computer, and the Andorian said "I'm going to photo-bomb her entry by raising my head slowly behind her until my blue antenna appear in the video, then slowly lower back down." To which she went "*sigh* First Officer's Log, supplemental. As you can see, my ship is manned by assholes."

They also named their first "redshirt" Supporting Characters as Ensign Calvin (human medical officer) and Ensign Hobbes (Caitian security officer, naturally). :D

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    My one session with Star Trek Adventures has been excellent! It's funny how quickly the players fall into playing a Star Trek role and thinking like a Starfleet officer. They had a philosophical discussion about the Prime Directive! Although, given the nature of my group, we skew a bit more toward "Galaxy Quest" than "Star Trek", at times.

The main thing is getting them used to the idea of exchanging the narrative currency and buying dice/rerolls, since none of them play FATE on the regular. They didn't even touch their Determination pools. But they easily got a handle on the teamwork mechanics and how to support each other with complementary tasks.

There was one point where the First Officer was making a video log entry into the computer, and the Andorian said "I'm going to photo-bomb her entry by raising my head slowly behind her until my blue antenna appear in the video, then slowly lower back down." To which she went "*sigh* First Officer's Log, supplemental. As you can see, my ship is manned by assholes."

They also named their first "redshirt" Supporting Characters as Ensign Calvin (human medical officer) and Ensign Hobbes (Caitian security officer, naturally). :D

oh my god

• Options
    Grey_ChocolateGrey_Chocolate Registered User regular
    Hey, I'm writing up a setting that's basically the 2016 real world except the public found out magic exists back in the 1960's.

Problem is, I don't have a good name for it yet. Anyone got a good name for a modern magical setting?

Hard mode: don't have it be an "alliteration and ampersand" (e.g. Dungeons and Dragons, Mutants and Masterminds, etc.) title.

Hitting the broken computer does not fix the broken computer. Fixing the broken computer, fixes the broken computer.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I need this

I have! I think I understand most of it. Which parts are bugging you?

It doesn't feel like science and the die rolls seem secondary to the player based random guess? Like, assume a player always generates infinity successes on the die rolls. They can still fail if they pursue the wrong topics?

Feels like it needs to loop back and either meaningfully incorporate player input or give some guidance after each round.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Hey, I'm writing up a setting that's basically the 2016 real world except the public found out magic exists back in the 1960's.

Problem is, I don't have a good name for it yet. Anyone got a good name for a modern magical setting?

Hard mode: don't have it be an "alliteration and ampersand" (e.g. Dungeons and Dragons, Mutants and Masterminds, etc.) title.

Clearly LSD should be the system acronym

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Woodstock: The Reckoning

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Clearly LSD should be the system acronym

Lovers, Spellcasters, and Dreamers? Seems pretty hippy-esque.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular

But There's Magic

It sums up the premise pretty well I think. I'm not being facetious I think that's actually kind of a clever name.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »

But There's Magic

It sums up the premise pretty well I think. I'm not being facetious I think that's actually kind of a clever name.

Do You Believe In Magic?

From the Lovin' Spoonful song of the same name in the 60s. Thematic and evocative:

https://youtu.be/y23WN9t_WVU

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular

• Urban Arcana sounds great, but I'm pretty sure that's already a thing.
    • LSD (Let's Summon Demons)
    • Toad the Wet Sprocket

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Sorry, now I'm just thinking about the impact this would have on the Cold War and Vietnam without filling the blanks with scenes from The Watchmen and the newer X-Men movies.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Fuselage wrote: »
    Sorry, now I'm just thinking about the impact this would have on the Cold War and Vietnam without filling the blanks with scenes from The Watchmen and the newer X-Men movies.

The big question, honestly, is who has the magic in this concept.

• Options

• Toad the Wet Sprocket

Stealing this

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Magic Dungeons & Mystic Adventures

or MDMA

• Options

• Toad the Wet Sprocket

Urban Arcadia was a d20 modern module that added races like elves and dwarves to a modern day setting.