As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Awesome Moments] Is My Business – NSF56K

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    teK5pHU.jpg
    tYDaJy1.jpg

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    "...Her middle name was Martha. Did you know that Batman? Nora Martha Fries.
    "Damnit Clark, I told you not to tell anyone...

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Of course, DC decided to ruin that genuinely emotional attachment in more recent comics by revealing that Freeze and Nora were never married at all, she's some random woman who's been cryofrozen that Freeze just randomly became obsessed with while he was still normal. She's something like twice his age now.

• SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Of course, DC decided to ruin that genuinely emotional attachment in more recent comics by revealing that Freeze and Nora were never married at all, she's some random woman who's been cryofrozen that Freeze just randomly became obsessed with while he was still normal. She's something like twice his age now.
    Yeah, sometimes Scott Snyder's and James Tynion's twists-for-their-own-sake are ill-conceived. That said, the change was of the New 52 era, so for all I know it could be put back by now.

Sneaks on
    hugiqoknuwbd.jpg
    f0utuhaakfct.jpg

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    John in Injustice was one of the best characters there. He is such a bastard and has Batman-esque levels of planning.

John Constantine is one of my favorite DC characters, mostly the original Hellblazer version, but the modern one isnt bad or anything. Though I never understood why everyone in DC hates him so much. He's turned back the literal Devil atleast twice, and freed the souls of all the kids trapped in Hell, he's arguably an even greater hero than Superman. I know he screwed up really bad in his early years, but jesus, get off his balls already.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    ...what

What seems like a really misguided and confusing thing to do. Like, I don't really understand, what is that supposed to accomplish, other than inverting a sympathetic villain into an unlikable creep?

Delduwath wrote: »
    ...what

What seems like a really misguided and confusing thing to do. Like, I don't really understand, what is that supposed to accomplish, other than inverting a sympathetic villain into an unlikable creep?

It was part of their near-universally reviled New 52 initiative, where they messed up a bunch of classic characters with change for the sake of change. Rather than, you know, RESOLVE any of the goddamn stories they've been running for over 20 years. Cant actually let any of the characters have a satisfying ending because then they cant keep writing the same stories over and over.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I remember that, I believe it was more Tynion's idea than Snyder's since he was the protege.

Good news is they can easily fix it by saying it's The Watchmen putting too dark a touch on the DCU's timeline.

Spoilered. From a recent Walking Dead comic. Gave me chills.
    c2a60ftt3jri.jpg
    u6nsimfwb9cd.jpg
    0ckbad8uxf13.jpg

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I want to like Walking Dead type stories, but the fact that a zombie apocalypse only works when mass idiocy is involved kind of dampers it. World War Z the book is the best attempt I think.

Literally all you need to stop a zombie horde is elevation and spears. And if swinging a spear is too heavy, you just make one of those pneumatic devices butchers use to kill cattle, that's assume you don't have access to thousands of guns and the internet (There would be an "IiZombie" app in DAYS showing horde movements, etc).

Literally all you need to stop a zombie horde is elevation and spears.

Spears?

cb813c0851719cb39c8be91374ea70ba--mexican-problems-zombie-movies.jpg

emnmnme wrote: »
    Literally all you need to stop a zombie horde is elevation and spears.

Spears?

cb813c0851719cb39c8be91374ea70ba--mexican-problems-zombie-movies.jpg

We really have to be more specific about the type of zombies we're talking about in our zombie apocalypse survival plan.
    Spears and a second story window would work fine for your traditional shambling dumb zombie horde like The Walking Dead, up until the stack of dead zombies reached the window, anyway.
    If you're talking the rage zombies from 28 Days Later or some Resident Evil type scenario where a certain percentage of affected will mutate into ever more powerful zombie forms, maybe not so much.

edited August 2017
    I'm a traditionalist, I admit.

*Groan* While that was a cool scene, the fact that it's physically impossible is kind of a buzz kill.

Again, buzzkill here.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I mean...rot. Humidity. Insect life. The heat of the midday sun.

I don't think about it a whole lot but when I do I find it hilarious that zombies are considered so unstoppable when the environment would do a fairly good job of containing and eliminating them.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I want to like Walking Dead type stories, but the fact that a zombie apocalypse only works when mass idiocy is involved kind of dampers it. World War Z the book is the best attempt I think.

Literally all you need to stop a zombie horde is elevation and spears. And if swinging a spear is too heavy, you just make one of those pneumatic devices butchers use to kill cattle, that's assume you don't have access to thousands of guns and the internet (There would be an "IiZombie" app in DAYS showing horde movements, etc).

Do you know how to make a pneumatic cow killing butcher gun?

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

Not exactly but in a pinch I can think of a way to design one. The hard part would be finding tanks of pressurized gas.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The next zombie apocalypse to capture my attention will have to be a magic one.

H9f4bVe.png
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

Not exactly but in a pinch I can think of a way to design one. The hard part would be finding tanks of pressurized gas.

I think you're vastly underestimating how easy it would be to be this resourceful. Also, if we have a zombie apocalypse we're not going to have an internet - let alone people designing apps for our iphones. You seem to be thinking of a zombie apocalypse as being some sort of minor inconvenience.

There's an artist called Ant Lucia who is really good in an Adam Hughes meets 40's pin-up style, so much that he's done a lot of the DC Bombshells covers and designs. He also has branched into some other retro style artwork but I got two of his prints at the comic shop the other day, and they're just the best and full of life and style:

O2PbWAU.jpg

6wSVXH5.jpg

Really good and nice for framing, the only thing I wish is they would be printed bigger than 16 x 20.

gq2i9um62tbq.jpg

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Awesome(?) moment of my week was my son asking if he can have my comic book collection when I die, then my younger son asking if he can have it, and then them saying can we go get it so they can mark which ones they each get when I die.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I'd start watching my back if I were you.

Marvel has been good to Darth Vader recently:

91d61bf758feafaf83021334224ab2b2.jpg

This is Kevin Maguire's cover for the upcoming JLI Omnibus vol. 1 (which has something like 50 issues in it), the way it goes from the core team to the JLE team and then the villains is such a nice way to show the team radiate through it's whole run:

xxKsYg3.jpg

I love Lobo, but Creeper looks like he is giggling about a wet fart he just dropped when the camera guy said "cheese"

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Awesome(?) moment of my week was my son asking if he can have my comic book collection when I die, then my younger son asking if he can have it, and then them saying can we go get it so they can mark which ones they each get when I die.

I got my dad's collection when he died and let me tell you it's the least convenient inheritence in the world, but it is a nice excuse to go back through taking photos of a bunch of comics we read together before I sell them because I don't need 20,000 physical comics taking up like a shipping container wherever I go.

He swore he was going to get around to arranging and CGCing and starting to sell them but...

Also I now have thousands of photos of old comic covers and they're universally amazing. I love the ones that are the first appearance of a villain no one cares about, because they're equally as bombastic as like the first appearance of Galactus.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    I love Lobo, but Creeper looks like he is giggling about a wet fart he just dropped when the camera guy said "cheese"

Mister Miracle is sleep deprived.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    There's an artist called Ant Lucia who is really good in an Adam Hughes meets 40's pin-up style, so much that he's done a lot of the DC Bombshells covers and designs. He also has branched into some other retro style artwork but I got two of his prints at the comic shop the other day, and they're just the best and full of life and style:
    O2PbWAU.jpg

6wSVXH5.jpg

Really good and nice for framing, the only thing I wish is they would be printed bigger than 16 x 20.

Oh hey! I met him and his wife at C2E2 about 3 or 4 years ago, super nice people and he signed that Spider-Man one for me and its been hanging in my office ever since. All their stuff is good!

uweqca2ggxrx.jpg

Are those all takes on well known Wolverine covers?

I found one of them googling "Wolverine Comic Cover":
    paq8q91du56s.jpg

Just curious if I would recognize more of them if I was a bigger comic nerd.

see317 wrote: »

paq8q91du56s.jpg

Yes, that was the joke. The one in the right corner is from Wolverines debut issue.

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

paq8q91du56s.jpg

Incredible Hulk 181 (his first appearance), Uncanny X-Men 173 and New X-Men #115.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    This is Pat Gleason's Action #1000 cover for a Newbury Comic chain and it is absolutely perfect, will need to get.

cPFS4jx.jpg

(if anyone has seen Krypto variants of Action #1000 please post them)

edited April 2018
    Oh hey, I wonder what's going on with BPRD WHAT
    Hellboy-coffin.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
    These are neat.
    jxaFiin.jpg
    4gsf5MX.jpg

I remember Spider-Man fighting a Mayan god who had a similar power.
    fdl8rxccrce9.jpg

Bonus warping shenanigans.
    yhqaks2ze6eb.jpg

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    That is amazing way to utilize the format for omnipresent characters, wow

Friends, you can't argue with science.
    jl8os54wxt7s.jpg
    od9ky7uvzeds.jpg
    lce58d8ev4dk.jpg

When Cap leaps into action to save lives, not only is there no hesitation, he pulls off his civilian clothes while falling two stories to save precious seconds.

6i66argav8cc.jpg
    opirl55lpm8v.jpg
    y1s435t0w3t3.jpg
    4jcr49ro9a3j.jpg