As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I might have finally caved and spent disturbing amounts of money on Onslaught 3 of Cthulhu Wars if Magic Pink hadn't posted about some issues with Petersen Games of late. That turned out to be just enough to hold back once again.

So, Magic Pink saved me hundreds of dollars by swaying me from backing a game he loves. And I begin to question the nature of our reality.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink giveth, and Magic Pink taketh away

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Hey @Sokpuppet this Card Thief game seems real good but my next cloak upgrade requires beating a level at -3 stealth or more and I don't get how
    to do that.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hey @Sokpuppet this Card Thief game seems real good but my next cloak upgrade requires beating a level at -3 stealth or more and I don't get how
    to do that.

Guards only catch you if they can see you, or if you try to mug them, even if you are negative stealth.
    So like, you can get into situations where you can wander around snuffing lanterns to your hearts content and then have the exit show up in the dark.

And I literally did it on my next game before reading your post! Thanks for the info though :)

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Played fourth game of Terminal Directive last night. I was hoping to get more games in but my friend just got a new phone with VR capability and we were checking that out a bit and he wanted to get a game of Doomtown in as well.

I won the game, and I feel like the runner is pulling ahead a bit. It honestly is making me consider throwing the next game so he gets some storyline and extra bits as well. It's weird having that feeling.

Gameplay spoilers for sections 2, 3, and 5.
    So I had two cautions that were restricting my game: keep 3 credits at end of turn, and run at least once per turn.

They were seriously rough some turns but I did my best to not mess up for the first 3/4 of the game, and then I found myself at tick 3 and I had forgotten to run and I had 2 credits. I used my last tick for credits and ended up having to open section 3.

Fortunately it didn't affect my current game much because the cards they add go in between games, but it was at least nice to get some fun flavor with them. Its an interesting idea, putting cards in the runners deck that can help the Corp.

However, taking the penalty removed the run every turn caution and allowed me to focus on money and installing cards which equipped me to handle the server the Corp just installed a likely agenda into.

I took a chance and 3 tags to get into it, but successfully scored the 3 point agenda and won the game. I had the officer in my agenda pile as well so I got to open pack 5.

The Corp has only won 1 game to my 3, so he hasn't opened anything but pack 1 and I've opened 1, 2, 3, and 5. If he wins a single additional game he'll open pack 2, and honestly I'm thinking of doing it. I have been running smart, avoiding the snares and traps and tags (his win came from scorched Earth killing me after taking a tag), but maybe if I play a bit more loose he'll be able to win.

The decks seem even enough, but I think he just plays too conservatively and can't bluff me well enough to catch me on a snare unless I pull it from R&D or HQ.

It's been fun though.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Played a learning first age of Through The Ages last night and man that game seems real awesome. The guy was saying that a 2p game is about 2hr (one you're both familiar with the game) and man now I want to buy TTA real bad

Edit: annnnnnd bought. A reputable seller on Amazon had a copy for $20! I'm excited!

Ah_Pook on
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Through the Ages is civilization

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Finally got a few guys together for games last night.
    I brought Unlock! Squeak & Sausage (which I played with my wife and her sister last weekend), so I kind of supervised while they played it. It's actually kind of fun to know all the things and watch how they try to figure things out and where they do or don't run into the same traps we did. They ended up finishing with 3 errors and 3 hints with a few minutes to spare, 2 star performance.
    Then we played Tyrants of the Underdark, which I think is my favorite deckbuilder at the moment. I sleeved up the expansion groups while they played Unlock, so we played with a deck of Aberrants and Demons. Our end scores were all within about 20 points of each other. I really like the dudes-on-a-map portion of Tyrants, it feels like it lends a much more strategic element to the game so it isn't "just" a deckbuilder. And the variety of the market deck is nice (I prefer the original cards to the expansion, luckily I sleeve so they all shuffle together without much trouble).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Played fourth game of Terminal Directive last night....

I won the game, and I feel like the runner is pulling ahead a bit. It honestly is making me consider throwing the next game so he gets some storyline and extra bits as well. It's weird having that feeling.

Interesting, I felt that the campaign was weighted in the corp's favor. Which matchup are you playing? Are you using the deck lists in the rulebook, or did you build your own?

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    I might have finally caved and spent disturbing amounts of money on Onslaught 3 of Cthulhu Wars if Magic Pink hadn't posted about some issues with Petersen Games of late. That turned out to be just enough to hold back once again.

So, Magic Pink saved me hundreds of dollars by swaying me from backing a game he loves. And I begin to question the nature of our reality.

... mission accomplished?

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Through the Ages is civilization

No, those are different titles. Similar, though.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Fry wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Played fourth game of Terminal Directive last night....

Interesting, I felt that the campaign was weighted in the corp's favor. Which matchup are you playing? Are you using the deck lists in the rulebook, or did you build your own?

Playing Weyland vs Ayla (shaper). Rulebook decks and last night runner deck was updated to the one in the FAQ that respects the one core set requirement.

First game went to runner, but I forgot to play investigator card to advance storyline.
    Second game went to Corp by killing the runner before they had scored the evidence agenda.
    Third game went to runner, scored investigator and it was second win so advanced story.
    Fourth game went to runner, but also triggered secondary event during game, and scored investigator to advance story.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    The suggested Skorpios deck does look a little tough to pilot. Could win if it lands Hunter Seeker at the right time, but yeah, "make smart runs" is going to be pretty good against it, and it will have a tough time actually scoring agendas if the runner is paying attention.

What's the worst matchup for the decks, not to be conceited but I should probably pilot thr most unfavorable deck possible on order to make the campaign function well against my friends.

• KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    What's the worst matchup for the decks, not to be conceited but I should probably pilot thr most unfavorable deck possible on order to make the campaign function well against my friends.

Shaper has a rough time against HB. It's the weaker of the runner decks and even without HB using it's good identity, it still has good enough ice and economy to win out over the runner. The shaper deck has some cute tricks but it's built around trying to make a very bad set of breakers less bad and the pay off when you get setup isn't there.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Got Tiny Epic Quest out with the wife.

It's very cute. Just over the strategic complexity barrier to be a favoured choice for her, but will run nicely in my gaming club nights I reckon. I can see the dice based push your luck element will be a much more risky affair with more players as well.

MhCw7nZ.gif

The SEIDR deck is playing fast advance with boatload of 3/2 agendas and means to recur SanSan City Grid or Biotic Labor. I would not recommend you pilot that one. On the flip side, as mentioned a little ways above, it seems like it would be hard for a new player to thread the needle and get wins with Skorpios, so don't give that one to your friends.

edited August 2017
    Got to the second castle in card thief, not sure how these damn dogs and torch guards work yet but it's fun figuring it out.

Inquisitor on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Got to the second castle in card thief, not sure how these damn dogs and torch guards work yet but it's fun figuring it out.

Primarily by the torch guards in particular being real frustrating until you have items to mess with them, which mostly unlock with the emblems from that castle.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Is there a better description of how to play card thief than the in game tutorial?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    Is there a better description of how to play card thief than the in game tutorial?

I think it's supposed to be a learn as you play kinda game.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

Bizarrely the tutorial doesn't really explain your goddamn goal in a sensible fashion.

In Card Thief, your goal is to run out the deck. As you move around the grid, you'll remove cards, leaving gaps that will be filled in from the deck. At the end of the deck the level exit card is revealed. Most of the time, moving onto cards costs you Stealth points. You're trying to get through the deck and reach the exit without running out of Stealth points.

The other key goal is to pick up the treasure cheat at some point. It appears once the deck is halfway gone and grows in value the longer you leave it alone.

Every time you take a turn, you make a path through at least two cards, spending Stealth points as you go. Then cards with gaps underneath them fall; gaps are filled from the deck; and certain card statuses change.

The rest is how specific cards work. (Important note: tap and hold on any card to trigger an explanation of that card.)
    Basic cards are chests, loot, guards, torches, Stealth moves, Hiding Places, and the exit.

All cards have a Stealth value (usually a cost, sometimes a plus). Some cards also have an arrow that means that when you enter that card, all Stealth values on all current cards are doubled. (Important: which cards have arrows shifts during every refresh phase after you take your turn, so if an arrow is blocking you, it might not be next turn.)

Cards that cost Stealth: chests, loot, guards, torches.

Chests I covered.

Loot is your score.

Torches light adjacent cards. Lit cards may expose you to guards; when lit, the level exit can't be used. Step on torches to put them out.

Guards have a Stealth value and a gaze direction. The opposite of the gaze direction is their weak spot. Move into the guard card from the weak spot direction and you pay no Stealth cost. (It has to be the exact opposite cardinal direction, so moving in diagonally doesn't work.) Step into a lit card in a guard's gaze direction and you'll be caught.

Cards that don't cost Stealth: Stealth moves, Hiding Places, the exit.

Stealth move cards have you executing a tiptoe or whatever. Sometimes this adds Stealth, other times (I think when lit?) it may cause guards to shift their gaze in your direction (while costing zero Stealth).

Hiding Places refill your Stealth points to 10, even if you've gone negative during this turn so long as you end your turn there. Seems to generally be one of these in the deck.

The exit is free to enter but it must be unlit.

(Also, there's a card type out there that will give you a couple Stealth points at the expense of a couple of your collected loot points. Usually worth it, I think.)

Finally for game rules, the Stealth mechanic is not quite "run out of points and the game is over". If you run out or go negative, you can pass through some cards without actually claiming them, giving you a chance if there's a card on the board that increases Stealth. (If there isn't I think you do just lose.)

In terms of the metagame, which is also not explained well...

There are four levels, or Castles, in the map. To unlock more levels you need to collect a certain number of sigils, which you get from treasure chests.

Sigils also unlock equipment cards; you can carry up to three into a level (really two, because you need a slot to carry the chest). You can upgrade equipment cards by completing achievement-like challenges during a run.

--

That's everything I've gleaned from the tutorial and a few runs on the first Castle. Presumably there are new cards in later levels, and probably I've missed a subtlety here or there. Hope this helps!

ACsTqqK.jpg
    edited August 2017
    Astaereth wrote: »

Bizarrely the tutorial doesn't really explain your goddamn goal in a sensible fashion.

In Card Thief, your goal is to run out the deck. As you move around the grid, you'll remove cards, leaving gaps that will be filled in from the deck. At the end of the deck the level exit card is revealed. Most of the time, moving onto cards costs you Stealth points. You're trying to get through the deck and reach the exit without running out of Stealth points.

The other key goal is to pick up the treasure cheat at some point. It appears once the deck is halfway gone and grows in value the longer you leave it alone.

Every time you take a turn, you make a path through at least two cards, spending Stealth points as you go. Then cards with gaps underneath them fall; gaps are filled from the deck; and certain card statuses change.

The rest is how specific cards work. (Important note: tap and hold on any card to trigger an explanation of that card.)
    Basic cards are chests, loot, guards, torches, Stealth moves, Hiding Places, and the exit.

All cards have a Stealth value (usually a cost, sometimes a plus). Some cards also have an arrow that means that when you enter that card, all Stealth values on all current cards are doubled. (Important: which cards have arrows shifts during every refresh phase after you take your turn, so if an arrow is blocking you, it might not be next turn.)

Cards that cost Stealth: chests, loot, guards, torches.

Chests I covered.

Loot is your score.

Torches light adjacent cards. Lit cards may expose you to guards; when lit, the level exit can't be used. Step on torches to put them out.

Guards have a Stealth value and a gaze direction. The opposite of the gaze direction is their weak spot. Move into the guard card from the weak spot direction and you pay no Stealth cost. (It has to be the exact opposite cardinal direction, so moving in diagonally doesn't work.) Step into a lit card in a guard's gaze direction and you'll be caught.

Cards that don't cost Stealth: Stealth moves, Hiding Places, the exit.

Stealth move cards have you executing a tiptoe or whatever. Sometimes this adds Stealth, other times (I think when lit?) it may cause guards to shift their gaze in your direction (while costing zero Stealth).

Hiding Places refill your Stealth points to 10, even if you've gone negative during this turn so long as you end your turn there. Seems to generally be one of these in the deck.

The exit is free to enter but it must be unlit.

(Also, there's a card type out there that will give you a couple Stealth points at the expense of a couple of your collected loot points. Usually worth it, I think.)

Finally for game rules, the Stealth mechanic is not quite "run out of points and the game is over". If you run out or go negative, you can pass through some cards without actually claiming them, giving you a chance if there's a card on the board that increases Stealth. (If there isn't I think you do just lose.)

In terms of the metagame, which is also not explained well...

There are four levels, or Castles, in the map. To unlock more levels you need to collect a certain number of sigils, which you get from treasure chests.

Sigils also unlock equipment cards; you can carry up to three into a level (really two, because you need a slot to carry the chest). You can upgrade equipment cards by completing achievement-like challenges during a run.

--

That's everything I've gleaned from the tutorial and a few runs on the first Castle. Presumably there are new cards in later levels, and probably I've missed a subtlety here or there. Hope this helps!

I don't think treasure costs any stealth to move on top of. Also you didn't mention doors, which cost nothing to move on top of, but can only be moved on top of if unlit. Also, based on how much you move in a turn the value of cards can shift.

That's the main stuff, really. A lot of it is just experimenting. Don't be afraid to draw out multiple different moves for a turn and see how it shifts the numbers around.

Edit: I just beat a level at -45 stealth. I feel like that should be an achievement.

Inquisitor on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Card Thief tips:

A full table clear resets your stealth to 10. So if you can take any actual threats (guards, dogs etc) early and then clear the board of traps and torches etc with a massive negative stealth, it's all good.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I think you only lose if you step into a guard's line of sight while your stealth is zero or less.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    The doors can be opened when unlit, OR if you come at it from the right direction as indicated on the card, in which case you'll pick the door.

OrokosPA.png
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I don't think treasure costs any stealth to move on top of. Also you didn't mention doors, which cost nothing to move on top of, but can only be moved on top of if unlit. Also, based on how much you move in a turn the value of cards can shift.

That's the main stuff, really. A lot of it is just experimenting. Don't be afraid to draw out multiple different moves for a turn and see how it shifts the numbers around.

Edit: I just beat a level at -45 stealth. I feel like that should be an achievement.

Doors can be moved through - "lockpicked" while lit, from one direction. They have an icon on them which indicates the correct direction.
    Same goes for the exit.

When you backstab a guard, you get loot equal to the guard's current value (what would be its stealth cost if approaching from a different direction). A way that you can build up a good score is to intentionally keep alerting the same guard over and over to build it up to a very high number, then backstab it at the end of a turn where you've built up a massive multiplier by moving around to lots of spaces that are far from where you started. Risky, though!

Oh yeah, I don't think anyone explained the multiplier, yet? Whenever you enter a space that was not adjacent to the space you started the turn in, it increases the multiplier for the current turn. If you're spending stealth taking down guards or picking up the chest, that's bad, but if you're collecting loot and stealth, it's good! If you start the turn in the center of the map, everything is adjacent to you, so the whole turn will be at multiplier 1, whereas if you start in a corner there are five squares that can increase the multiplier, or if you start in the middle of an edge there are three squares that increase the multiplier. Finishing your turn in the center is a nice "safe" play, ending a turn in a corner is a "risky" play.

Did not know that about doors. Or the full blown reset.

Still not sure what makes traps trip or not though.

You guys have completely addicted me to card thief.

I just unlocked the daily challenges and about halfway through unlocking the second castle.

Seems they value money over the level chest you pick up, which I wish they'd at least add the values together.

Also, I dislike owls.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Huh. FFG announces Legacy of Dragonholt.

If I'm reading this right... it sounds sorta like a cross between Consulting Detective and a fantasy RPG?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Managed to get all my pieces down in Blokus. That gets me a knighthood and a life of idle luxury right?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Huh. FFG announces Legacy of Dragonholt.

If I'm reading this right... it sounds sorta like a cross between Consulting Detective and a fantasy RPG?

It reads as closer to a multiplayer CYOA book set in the Runebound universe.

E: so come to think of it, though I haven't played it, closest to Time Stories perhaps?

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I saw Splendor for ten bucks in Target today if you don't own it and/or you haven't jumped on the Century spice train yet.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Is Century Spice that good?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Is Century Spice that good?

Yes, yes, yes. Good enough that I plunked down coin for the official play mat and am fully considering buying sleeves for the first time.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I should be getting my first game of Century Spice Road in on Saturday, and I'm looking forward to it given what I've heard thus far. That new box o' Splendor expansions is out in two weeks though, and I'm hoping to get a look at them at Gen Con.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    I've played many games of Splendor and a handful of Century: Spice Road. Of the two, I'll pick the latter and day of the week. It's just more and better of similar, to me. Splendor is checkers, Spice Road is chess.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    edited August 2017
    Target still listing Splendor as $35 for me. :(

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
This discussion has been closed.