As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Random, maybe weird question.

So, I have muscular dystrophy, so due to the muscle control in my hands, I may still be able to be a great fighting game player....but there's no way I am painting.

I recently got pulled into trying Warhammer 40k.

Do you think if I went to a local hobby shop or looked around, people could be hired to pain the figures? I may not have muscle control, but I DO have a job and no need to buy Nike Sneakers :).

No idea how much I'd pay them / they'd want, but yeah...grey = eww.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    There's a sizable cottage industry for mini painting commissions.

However quality and ability to execute within a deadline is extremely hit-or-miss.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Nisi wrote: »
    Painting stuff for a Malifaux League. The League seems to be really casual, main goal is to paint a certain number of models a month, and play with the "wurst" crew boxes.

So far I haven't quite kept up with the painting requirement as I am extremely slow to paint, partially due to lack of free time.

OsYNy6L.jpg

I'm really interested in that Shang model because I would love to paint one up as Ninetales from Okami. Are Malifaux minis metal? I've heard people complain about them being difficult to put together... Was Shang?

As Jam Warrior said they are primarily difficult due to the number of tiny pieces. Shang is mostly straight forward but the tail can be a little tricky, because of how it fits together. Once you can visualize it though it fits together pretty easily. This blog explains about the tail https://malifauxshadow.blogspot.com/2014/02/malifaux-shang-tail.html I did have to use a little green stuff for gap filling on a spot or two.

If you're looking for just Shang and not the whole box your best bet is trading or buying from Gadzooks (https://www.gadzooksgaming.com/products/shang-the-thunder-wyr20701). Shang isn't particularly good gameplay wise so I imagine you might be able to buy/trade from someone who has purchased the box and doesn't use him.

Nisi on
    There's a sizable cottage industry for mini painting commissions.

However quality and ability to execute within a deadline is extremely hit-or-miss.

Mmm. I don't have an enormous deadline, per se, but would prefer it not be ass. To the Google machine, I suppose.

Thanks.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    I ordered directly from CMON, so I got hit with import fees for that. Still haven't found a Euro-friendly webshop that stocks Dark Age.

So probably not picking up any more Dark Age until that happens.

Have you tried Element games at all?

I'm from the UK but I've had no issue with them and neither have my friends. You could always get in touch with regards to when stock arrives or shipping to Europe.

giphy.gif

• BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Painting stuff for a Malifaux League. The League seems to be really casual, main goal is to paint a certain number of models a month, and play with the "wurst" crew boxes.

So far I haven't quite kept up with the painting requirement as I am extremely slow to paint, partially due to lack of free time.

OsYNy6L.jpg

I'm really interested in that Shang model because I would love to paint one up as Ninetales from Okami. Are Malifaux minis metal? I've heard people complain about them being difficult to put together... Was Shang?

As Jam Warrior said they are primarily difficult due to the number of tiny pieces. Shang is mostly straight forward but the tail can be a little tricky, because of how it fits together. Once you can visualize it though it fits together pretty easily. This blog explains about the tail https://malifauxshadow.blogspot.com/2014/02/malifaux-shang-tail.html I did have to use a little green stuff for gap filling on a spot or two.

If you're looking for just Shang and not the whole box your best bet is trading or buying from Gadzooks (https://www.gadzooksgaming.com/products/shang-the-thunder-wyr20701). Shang isn't particularly good gameplay wise so I imagine you might be able to buy/trade from someone who has purchased the box and doesn't use him.

Zero interest in the game. Just saw your mini and immediately wanted to do up my own! Thanks for the Gadzooks link!

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Random, maybe weird question.

So, I have muscular dystrophy, so due to the muscle control in my hands, I may still be able to be a great fighting game player....but there's no way I am painting.

I recently got pulled into trying Warhammer 40k.

Do you think if I went to a local hobby shop or looked around, people could be hired to pain the figures? I may not have muscle control, but I DO have a job and no need to buy Nike Sneakers :).

No idea how much I'd pay them / they'd want, but yeah...grey = eww.

I've got some gnarly hand problems as well, and it's still possible to paint okay to decent looking miniatures with little brush control. You depend a lot more on washes and drybrushing but it will look good with practice and more importantly you can say that you made this. What you might need is someone to help clean and assemble the models, as especially with more modern kits there's some really fiddly bits involved.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'll wait till I get my gloss before working on the rest of the posse but I did go ahead and finish up the two I had already put washes on.

Finished_Dark_Wash_1.png

Finished_Dark_Wash_2.png

Finished_Light_Wash_1.png

Finished_Light_Wash_2.png

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I would not apply any gloss or matte finishes until I was done painting.

No no no. Gloss varnish at certain points in the process is a useful tool for getting washes to flow correctly (especially on surfaces that are supposed to be smooth) and for helping decals not look terrible. They are a required step in any sort of oil or pigment wash.

I did not know that.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Is a spray box a good investment when starting out with airbrushing and how much should one cost?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2017
    I have this one. (Just the first hit on Amazon, could probably find it cheaper.)

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Portable-Painting-T-shirts/dp/B00BMUH8L6/

On that note, I should get a new filter for it.

Echo on
    I use one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NLQ019A?psc=1 It works pretty well and is easy to pack away. I've also heard of people making their own spray booth.

My painting area is pretty small and I don't want overspray getting all over everything. I also wear a face mask so that I'm not inhaling paint.

edited August 2017
    The second one is the same as the first but with LED lighting, right? Do you make good use of the lights?

Would that also be usable to use a spray can with in a rush.

honovere on
    I do actually use the lights, they're not great though. I use a desk lamp on a swivel in addition. I actually was writing my post at the same time as Echo and didn't see his reply till just now :)

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Really slow progress at this end but I'm fairly happy with the results so far:
    jqclpfi8mlap.jpg

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    Badablack wrote: »

I've got some gnarly hand problems as well, and it's still possible to paint okay to decent looking miniatures with little brush control. You depend a lot more on washes and drybrushing but it will look good with practice and more importantly you can say that you made this. What you might need is someone to help clean and assemble the models, as especially with more modern kits there's some really fiddly bits involved.

....you know what, maybe I will take a stab at it. They're just Primaris Marines, what's the worst that could happen, right?

• 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    honovere wrote: »
    The second one is the same as the first but with LED lighting, right? Do you make good use of the lights?

Would that also be usable to use a spray can with in a rush.

I have the one minus any LED lighting. I use a light above the hood, and one that shines through the back of the hood. The hood is worth it, and lights are cheap.

n4cj0llx1uwz.png

6yz1k04yxya3.png

I've been busy.

3lwap0 on
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    I also started airbrushing using that spray booth. It is really helpful as it contains the paint and gives you a safe place to position your model for painting. A lot of paint will end up off the model, so I would say it is an important thing to have.

I wouldn't recommend it for spray cans though - they do not spray with the control of air brushes and will come back at you (I've experienced this using a box as a booth).

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

....you know what, maybe I will take a stab at it. They're just Primaris Marines, what's the worst that could happen, right?

I'm not sure what your level of control is like, but honestly any paint job is better than bare gray plastic, and the worst case scenario is that they take a dip in some isopropyl alcohol/Simple Green/whatever. It's worth a shot.

Hand positioning might help too, one of the ways I minimize movement is to hold the mini in my right hand (reverse this if you're right handed obviously) and the brush in my left with my fingers fairly close to the ferrule. The pad between my thumb and wrist on both hands are pressed together for stability.

Hopefully you can find a method that will work for you, but if not you could always say you tried before going the commission route.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm assembling 10 Mk III marines without instructions. Or I was until I thought to Google it.

These are pretty cool, but will definitely look different than my regular Tac marines. I'm just not sure how to equip them. I don't have a lightning claw, so the sergeant will probably get that. But I really like that thunder hammer. And the Melta fun looks weird, but they're useful. Decisions, decisions.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

It's also honestly shocking how good a group of painted miniatures looks when assembled. It almost doesn't matter how well they're painted, at arm's length. Space marines, with their armour design, also take a monochrome or dichrome colour scheme really well.

I'm assembling 10 Mk III marines without instructions. Or I was until I thought to Google it.

These are pretty cool, but will definitely look different than my regular Tac marines. I'm just not sure how to equip them. I don't have a lightning claw, so the sergeant will probably get that. But I really like that thunder hammer. And the Melta fun looks weird, but they're useful. Decisions, decisions.

If I'm not mistaken, I can build several different sergeants using these ten figures... hmmm.... that might give me options.

Let me see if I can build the Melta gun and the plasma gun too.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Finished my first ever Infinity model:

2NFkgJi.jpg

Made some definite mistakes, not used to doing skin. I wanted her to be pale but man, vallejo pale skin needs tons of thinning. Thought I did enough but still came out chalky. Have to get used to the slightly more military style of Infinity as opposed to the super cartoony style of 40k.

Only thing left to do with the model is topcoat it, haven't ever done this to a non-gunpla kit. Any tips to make sure I don't screw the pooch on this last step? I've got an airbrush, if that helps.

I'm super happy with how she can out holding her at arms length, but up close I have a lot of little things to nitpick. But I'm not going to obsess over it so I can move on to the next model.

Inquisitor on
    You could probably get away with just matte varnishing it, infinity models aren't really heavy or lopsided enough to fall over all the time so just the usual wear of being handled would be covered by some matte. A thin coat over the whole thing by brush would be okay, just don't let it pool in any crevices.

edited August 2017
    I finished my IF captain after two years of thinking about him. I'm not sure if the colors on the chest piece are too Christmas-y, but I'm calling him done.

20170806_011411_zpso8hprae5.jpg

20170806_011440_zpss7apr9zc.jpg

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    DGjQ4zrVYAA3d8K.jpg
    guys i tried to make a wet palette and i got too much wet and not enough palette whoops

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Paper's always gonna curl.

Flip it and wipe off excess with a dry paper towel.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I tipped out the excess water and tried again, but the paper i'm using is wrong i think. Its Palette Paper my wife used for oil painting.
    I'll pick up some baking paper next time i'm out

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I tried the same thing and had much the same result as you. Too much wet, not enough palette. Although I'm using Model Air paints, so they're already pretty thin. Even the slight thinning from the palette made them an ink rather than paint.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    I just ended up buying a palette kit with sponges and paper off amazon. I overpay for everything else involved in this awful hobby, why not my palettes too.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I've got some MDF terrain coming. I don't have an airbrush and I'm not suuuper inclined to pick one up. But I'm not really sure if a brush is going to be up the task. Hrrm,

What is this I don't even.
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Get an airbrush only if you will use it for more than that, or if you will use it often for that task.

I'm glad I got into it, and being able to prime and basecoat with it has made me enjoy the hobby much more. However, it's a big up front cost with a lot of clean up needed. I'm okay with the clean up now, as I find it interesting to pull apart and maintain the airbrush, but it will take a little time to get used to it.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Nah, I'm not getting an airbrush. I have an unventilated place that is essentially a condo for space purposes. There is nowhere I could set up a hood to safely spray. I just WISH I could airbrush the terrain.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    How long does gloss varnish usually take to dry, should I be letting this for like an hour or two, or a day?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    I painted things

Sc8OCIth.jpg
    Rae8JoOh.jpg

Gorgeous!

Only thing that doesn't quite measure up to the rest of the models is the one highlight down the middle of the sword. It looks a bit wonky in the picture.

That black armour :eek:

So here is my first, probably awful, attempt at doing a wash after applying a gloss layer. I suspect I might have diluted the wash a bit too much, or maybe the wash just needs to be darker? I dunno.

Gloss_Wash_1.png

Gloss_Wash_2.png

You don't need to dilute the wash at all. Normally you add water to thin it and make it seep into cracks better, but if it's varnished it's gonna slip into those cracks faster than that hiker in Utah that sawed his arm off. Also if it's a GW wash, sometimes those don't play nice with water anyway.

edited August 2017
    Oh, when I do a wash I mean I dilute paint with water not that I use a premade wash, and I remember someone mentioned the wash should be thinned more for after the gloss so it gets in crevices better but I think I might've overdone it, I think I might do another less diluted wash.

Edit: also I have another question on procedure. So, when the base coat is white, and I've added a wash that darkens the base coat a bit, should I dry brush on a slightly darker shade than the base (like light grey) so I can drybrush a second layer of white onto that and make it more vibrant, or should I just be drybrushing white?

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Oh, when I do a wash I mean I dilute paint with water not that I use a premade wash, and I remember someone mentioned the wash should be thinned more for after the gloss so it gets in crevices better but I think I might've overdone it, I think I might do another less diluted wash.

If you're making your own washes, add a little dish soap to the mix.
    Very little. Like, dip a toothpick into the soap, then dip that into your wash mix. This will help break up the surface tension so it can more easily flow into the details.

This discussion has been closed.