As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SchlitzKrieg 2017 - Walking Brewery Tour in Seattle

LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
edited August 2017 in PAX West
8/29 UPDATE: @JobiwanKenobi has put together a walking tour of breweries around the Ballard/Fremont neighborhoods for tomorrow, Wed. Aug 30 See the posts at the end of this thread for details.

8/15 CANCELLED
We just didn't have enough signups to justify the cost of an all-day tour and the bus rental this year. That's how shit happens sometimes, but stick with the thread if you're interested in a smaller beer-group meetup on the Wednesday before PAX.

7/15 ORIGINAL POST
Washington State has almost 200 craft breweries, many with small-scale artisan brews that you're not going to find anywhere else in the world. Seattle is truly Beer Geek Heaven. The SchlitzKrieg is a beer tour for locals and out-of-towners alike, and focused on tiny up and coming nano-breweries that you probably won't find in the store. Throw in a little local history, an interesting scenic ride, and you've got a great way to spend a day outside of the Convention Center, where you can see more of the city than just the downtown.

Washington State Brewery Map

2012 was the first ever SchlitzKrieg at PAX Prime, where 30 Beer Geeks were loaded onto a big yellow bus and we toured 12 local craft breweries in the greater Seattle Area in 12 hours. You can check out that year's thread here and photos courtesy of @courtneyj from the first year here.

2013 was a Cycle Saloon tour around the breweries in the Seattle neighborhood of Ballard. It was fun but too much work.

2014 was a little strange, as we didn't get enough people to fill up a full bus so we all crammed into a van and a car. It wasn't terrifically comfortable.

2015 was the year we got a motherfucking party bus, bitches!

2016 was our Fifth Annual Schlitzkrieg, where we headed South and threw in some cideries and distilleries to mix up the beer a bit. Also, party bus.

2017 will be a revisit of the South Sound area, with focus on Tacoma or Olympia, and definitely a revisit to a couple of our favorite 2016 spots (we're looking at you, Sidetrack Distillery).

We're getting the badass party bus again, and a banquet permit so you can drink on the bus again, AND there's a gaming laptop hookup to the video screens on the bus so we can play while we're traveling again. It's seriously an amazing time.

Big Ass Bus Photos
DSCN1036-20--20Copy.JPG
DSCN1051.JPG

Where and When
Wednesday, August 30
9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
2016 Tour Map (you may gaze upon 2016's magnificence until the 2017 map is ready)

Itinerary
7:30 am Pre-Funk Breakfast at Lowell's in the Pike Place Market
9:00 am Van Leaves from the Seattle Sheraton
9:10 AM 3 Howls Distilling
10:05 AM Brewery Stop #1 (Either Lower Case or Machine House)
11:35 AM Tacoma Loop: 4 hours in the Tacoma brewery district. The bus will make a continuous loop of the following breweries:
Engine House 9 (food)
7 Seas Brewery and Tap Room (food)
Sluggo Brewing (food)
Harmon Brewery and Eatery (food)
Wingman Brewers (opens at 2) (no food)
Odd Otter Brewing (opens at 2) (no food)
There are some additional breweries that open at 4:00pm. I'll see if any'll open early, but without a fixed stop and number it's unlikely.
16:05 PM Cockrell Cidery
17:20 PM Sidetrack Distillery / Happy Hour Snacks
18:20 PM Opegaard Meadery
19:05 PM Odin Brewery (Dinner)
20:35 PM Return to Sheraton

Tickets and Registration
Ticket Link will be posted in July
Tickets will cost $100 per person to reserve, and covers:
- The awesome bus (expensive but awesome)
- Beer Passport
- Driver Gratuity
- Happy Hour Snacks at Sidetrack

The ticket price goes down as we get more people on board to share the fixed cost of the bus.
22 people = $100 per ticket (minimum signups required)
25 people = $88 per ticket
27 people = $82 per ticket

It's recommended that you budget approximately $75 in additional money for the day to use for tastes, swag, snacks, and dinner.

Teams - will compete against each other for fun and the knowledge that you’re a winner.

Team Not Appearing in This Film
Mexican Jumping Llamas
Norwegian Blues
Crunchy Frogs

Questions? Answers!

What is it?
A tour of an area around Seattle for beer lovers - whether you're local or coming in from out of town. Some more unusual, hidden gems will be included for any locals who might want to tag along and find new spots. It will also include some awesome area history, scenic rides wherever possible, restaurant stops, and the opportunity to see more than just the city.

What isn't it?
This is not a low-budget event. Also, much like the Pub Crawl, this is not a frat boy event. We're trying to pace the liquor so that everyone has a good time, including the guy that you didn't puke on.

When is it?
Wednesday 8/30 from 9am - 9pm

What's included for the price?
• Transportation
• Happy Hour snacks
• Beer Passport
• Driver Gratuity

What's not included?
• Pints and Tastes
• Dinner & snacks
• Souvenirs
• Brewery Swag, bottles or Growlers
• Pre-Funk Breakfast, Lunch

Where Are you Going?
South to Tacoma. See the itinerary section above for specifics.

How much will it cost?
$100 to reserve.

If we reach our quota of 25 people, the price will drop to around $88 or less and I'll refund you the difference or you can donate it to Child's Play. Most of the price is based on splitting the cost of the bus evenly and I'd rather give people money back than ask for more if we don't make our quota.

How is the cost calculated?
Bus - $1850
Happy Hour Snacks - $11 per person
Water and snacks on the bus - $20
Beer Passports - $50

There simply aren't any inexpensive group transportation options in Seattle anymore. In 2015, we discovered that the approximately $25/per person increase in price between a school bus and a party bus made a HUGE difference in the comfort and fun of the ride. Just the bus costs $1800 for the day but it's worth the money, trust me.

Can I change my mind/plans/existence and get a refund?
Yes but it's discouraged after August 15. People change their travel plans to attend this tour, so it's tough to fill in vacancies at the last minute. Also, since the ticket price is largely dependent on dividing the cost of the van between everyone on the tour, cancellations that we can't fill with a warm body makes a huge headache for everybody on the day of the tour, as I try to recalculate the cost and figure out exactly who owes what. Of course, I understand that shit happens but please make every effort to stick to your reservation.

Can I attend just a portion of the tour?
Sure, if you have your own car and designated driver. We'll be in a rural area pretty far out of the city and won't be accessible by bus or taxi.

I have a better/different stop/place/brewery to suggest:
Suggest away! All suggestions are welcome but keep in mind that stops will be decided on the following criteria:

- Proximity to the tour route
- Hours (they need to be open, or willing to open for us)
- Size (macro breweries are discouraged)
- Willingness to accommodate the tour

How do I sign up and/or pay?
The ticket link will be posted at the very beginning of the thread.

Do you need any helpers?
We always need helpers.

Why a Beer Tour?
Seattle loves its beer. There are a ridiculous number of macro, micro and nanobreweries in and around the Seattle area, from small garage operations that sell growlers on the weekends, to large factories pumping out nationally distributed brews. Most Seattleites either home brew or know someone who does and the options here are amazing.

I can't go/It's out of my budget: Will there be another event later?
If you can't make it to any of the tours, just check out the Washington State Beer Lovers (WABL) Brewery map and make up your own tour.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
LexiconGrrl on

• dm_magicdm_magic Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    edited

dm_magic on
    bn4KEyz.png
  • JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    Early vote for a South Sound Mk2 tour that includes the breweries of Tacoma (or at least Engine 9 which makes delicious sours)... well, as long as we get to go back to Mt Head Brewing again... and maybe Cockerel Cidery will make the tour next year since that Blackberry cider was great.

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    I'm really sad I missed schlitzkrieg 2016 after having enjoyed 2015 so much, on account of not planning for it in advance. I shall plan this time.

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    *I'm* really sad I'm going to miss 2017. Even so, you all HAVE to give more time (and money) to Sidetrack Distilling next year. The place was lovely, the people were lovely, the liquor was lovely.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    I plan to be present for this event and agree that going south again is a good plan. Not sure about the place that makes sours though, not a big fan.

In all fairness they do more than just sours (delicious-delicious sours).

PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • DasJesterDasJester Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Greetings! The SchlitzKrieg 2016 just wrapped up, but a couple of people missed out because scheduling info wasn't posted early enough. So this post is embarrassingly early, in order to give folks a chance to plan. The SchlitzKrieg all day brewery and distillery tour will happen on the Wednesday before PAX West. We typically leave around 9am and get back between 7 and 9 pm. So plan your travel accordingly.

Here's the 2016 thread with details about the tour and where we went *last* year: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/205950/schlitzkrieg-2016-in-seattle-beer-drinks-you/p1

This thread will change title and content as we get closer to PAX West 2017.

(BTW: there's a good chance we'll do the same South-Sound tour again in 2017, but refined with more time at the better stops and hopefully better weather for viewing Mt. Rainier. "SchlitzKrieg 2017 Redux: The ReBeerinating!")

#ThereWasAnAttempt

All seriousness though, thanks for trying to get that view for us Lexi. The awesome Spirits & Beer made up for Washington’s random ass weather. We thank you for all that you do to make sure we're all drunk on a bus before Pax lol.

03xl5iyh5q4q.jpg

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Seeing this thread up already was a pleasant surprise. 2016 was such a good time, I have to second the shot out to Sidetrack Distilling, the raspberry liquor was amazing! And not to mention the snacks they gave us, oh the snacks...so good!!! I would love to go back to spend more time (and $) there.

• ZardozZardoz Registered User new member
    Looks like I'm hitting up PAX West next year. I'll see if I can fit this in.

PAX Aus: 13, 14, 15, 16
    PAX West/Prime: 15
  • BermardAKABBermardAKAB Registered User regular
    I am trying to make plans to make it this year.

This post is brought to you by the letter 9
  • MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    Ok epic bump because East is over and this is getting ever closer.

For the pre-planning: Who is interested in taking over a hotel room for Tuesday and Wednesday nights?

Ideally we have a downtown room so we can stumble out of our rooms, down the street a bit, hit the Pre-Funk Breakfast with everyone else, then get on bus. After kreig is over, we stumble back to room and sleep again. Come Thursday morning everyone goes to a more normally organized pax-time room. Agree-react if you are interested.

• SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I need to remember to get an extra day off for these pre-Pax events. At West is this tour and on East is the pig roast I keep missing. Will try to do it this year.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Hello! The OP has been updated with informational information.

I suppose I'm an honorary member of Team Not Appearing In This Film.

The good news is that, by the time this happens, I should be fully bionic and just about ready to go back to work.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

Booked a longer stay in Seattle this year. Will be joining the tour :)

Huh, I gotta say that I actually expected The Spanish Inquisition for a team name... Even their absence is a surprise!

• Immunity2youImmunity2you Registered User regular
    Okay I'm in, I want to drink beers with fellow paxers

Huh, I gotta say that I actually expected The Spanish Inquisition for a team name... Even their absence is a surprise!

Well, I figured nobody would expect it.

We are setting up Skype or FaceTime or something so I can at least check in on you guys this year, right?

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• VintageEyesVintageEyes Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Is the maximum amount of people 27? It's my buddy's bachelor (PAXchelor) party and we are thinking about doing this to kick things off.

VintageEyes on
    WuShock wrote: »
    We are setting up Skype or FaceTime or something so I can at least check in on you guys this year, right?

I suspect that arrangements can be made.

Is the maximum amount of people 27? It's my buddy's bachelor (PAXchelor) party and we are thinking about doing this to kick things off.

I'm a bit terrified to ask... how many people are going on the PAXchelor party? How many of them are PAX'ers?

• VintageEyesVintageEyes Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Just 6 of us. All going to PAX. :) -- if seats were tight, though, there is certainly other stuff we could do. This just looked like a fun way to see Seattle and meet fellow PAXers.

VintageEyes on
    My $0.02:
    6 is a fine number, given the search for tourists in the last couple of years (my limited involvement). Please read the old threads and educate yourselves on the rules of the trip. Drunken jackassery will be handled with extreme prejudice, and Lexi organizes these because she likes them and wants to share the local flavor with her fellow PAX-goers. (As fellow PAXers, I have little actual concern you all will bro out like a stereotypical bachelor party, but it should be stated regardless)

In short: Don't make Lexi mad. And don't make the bus driver mad. If it's the guy we've had the last two years, he's a mix of Agent Coulson and Jason Statham, and he deserves your respect.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

We will probably be able to fit your group in. The max amount of people is flexible and we can always get a bigger bus if needed. And @WuShock is right about the driver. He's pretty kick ass.

We may have a puppy on board. Anybody have an issue with that? Srsly.

No issue w/ a puppy on the bus from me :) Puppies are cute <3

We have to miss PAX this year - so not only will I miss out on the SchlitzKrieg and another awesome visit to Sidetrack...now there will be a puppy onboard!?! ARGH!

• nixternixter roughly Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    We have to miss PAX this year - so not only will I miss out on the SchlitzKrieg and another awesome visit to Sidetrack...now there will be a puppy onboard!?! ARGH!

Oh noes! I will miss you guys!!

aka Avidguru from Twitter and elsewhere

O1vSeKm.png
    Awright! The tentative first draft tour is below. Questions/Input via you guys...

1. This schedule ends the tour at 10:00pm. It's a long day and we really should get back to Seattle at 9pm. If you ditched a stop, which would it be?
    2. This year includes a 3-hour continuous hop-on/hop-off bus loop of the Tacoma Brewery District, hitting 6-ish breweries. Would you rather do that, or make one fixed stop in Tacoma and keep the rest of the fixed stops?
    3. Black Rock Distilling isn't as small or crafty of an operation as 2-Bar or Letterpress (last year's stops) but they make Bacon Vodka* and import Tequila, which are both interesting educational items. Keep, Toss or Switch?

7:00 am Breakfast at Lowell's
    9:00 am Bus Leaves the Seattle Sheraton
    9:10 am Black Rock Distilling
    10:05 am Jellyfish Brewing (Alt: Machine House, Lower Case)
    1:05 pm Narrow's Brewing / Lunch
    1:25 pm 3-Hour Tacoma Loop (the bus will make continuous loops around the Tacoma Brewery district for three hours)
    4:45 pm Cockrell Cidery
    6:00 pm Sidetrack Distilling / HH Snacks
    7:45 pm Opegaard Meadery**
    8:30 pm Odin Brewery / Dinner
    10:00 pm Return to Seattle Sheraton

*Full disclosure: I'm not personally a huge fan of their bacon vodka, but it's a novel item and lots of people like it.
    **I'm inclined to toss this one, as it will be pretty late and though a meadery would be cool, we'll probably go to Aesir again next year.

Soooo... Black Rock Spirits doesn't have a production facility in Seattle, only a tasting room with Tequila, potato vodka, and bacon vodka. How important is it to everyone that there's a production distillery stop in the morning? Sidetrack has a working distillery and we'll be stopping there in the afternoon for sure, but there are three other distilleries on the way out of town that we could hit instead that do production on site.

Also, I'm a little concerned about the lack of participation on the thread and whether that indicates a lack of riders. If you're planning on coming, please weigh in. Thanks!

• PuddlemakerPuddlemaker Registered User regular
    This would be my first time attending this event so i don't know how much my opinion makes but as far as seeing a production distillery that is not so concerning to me as other stops will have them. As for the rest of the schedule look good to me as this is all new to me but the 10pm return time is a bit concerning but i'm down with whatever you plan.

This would be my first time attending this event so i don't know how much my opinion makes but as far as seeing a production distillery that is not so concerning to me as other stops will have them. As for the rest of the schedule look good to me as this is all new to me but the 10pm return time is a bit concerning but i'm down with whatever you plan.

Cool, thanks for your input!! I just made a crash executive decision that changed the return time to 8:30. Check out the OP with the updated schedule.

Seeing the schedule up, even in draft, it looks like you guys will have a hell of a time!

Ticket purchased :)

• locutos359locutos359 Registered User regular
    Sorry I can't make it this year. Need to work that day. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time, and I'll see you around the con.

• MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    I'm still in. Square is being as local as it normally is though.

• PuddlemakerPuddlemaker Registered User regular
    Ticket purchased and ready to go

We've lost a lot of our regulars this year, and ticket sales are way down from where they should be at this point. I have serious concerns about the viability of the tour this year. It's nobody's fault - sometimes that's just the way things play out.

We need 20 sign ups by August 15 to confirm the bus. If we do cancel, everyone will have their $$ refunded.

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    I have to work this time. :(

ufq9gj8383nh.png