As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] : The Colour Wheel - Day 9 - The Final Showdown - Cult Victory!

1789101113»

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Whoops forget to say

Thanks for running @discrider !

I echo JPants in that these two games have definitely ramped up my Phalla interest (though, I still shy away from attempting another hosting due to how my last one went. Maybe some day...)

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Gotta say, being able to silence someone for a day, but not stop their voting or actions, kinda felt like a useless ability. I did it to Baidol over the first weekend, and didn't really get anything out of it (I mean, we were all gonna vote him off anyway), and felt bad for taking him out of the game on a "long day".

I know it sucks to be on the receiving end of an ability that prevents you from doing anything, but I'm unconvinced there's much point to this limited silence. At least, as village. If it were a mafia/cult ability you could probably accomplish a lot more with it by targeting people who seem to be soft networking or have claimed roles. But I feel like this and a few of the other abilities the host described don't really work as villager abilities since they mostly seem to create confusion. Understanding of the game state is the primary objective for the village because that's how they win, whereas the informed minority (be they mafia or cult) want to obscure things as much as possible because they already know enough to win if they can keep the village in the dark. These abilities are counter-productive for villagers because they help the minority's wincon indirectly, and if you get converted they can be targeted and deliberately used to help it to much greater effect.

So your ability, chamberlain's whitewash, premium's mask swap, etc, didn't have a huge village bent.
    However they were active abilities and could have been used to confirm your PM to the village.
    Given that the original cultists had no powers, that's not nothing!

That said, both JPants and the cult were informed of the lack of vanillagers, but they were only squeezed to reveal their powers day 7.

Ah, I guess it could be used to make a role claim. Course, being a non-standard role there's no guarantee a random villager would accept that the ability meant you were village and not some type of opposition special. I could be misremembering, but I don't think the village was informed that the cult only had conversion to begin with.

Nope!
    But if you read the later days, like 6-7, people were zeroing in on Virgil and Preda because they didn't have claimed powers.
    Admittedly people also didn't believe premium about his, which is half the puzzle after the cult claims false roles.

I think RU also claimed his vote manip role to people early, by saying he had a role that got better with time, and then came out with his fake vig outerer power instead after conversion.
    So trying to unpick that is a good puzzle too.

Sounds like it played better when people knew what their roles are, rather than having to figure out what their roles were like in my previous game.
    However, I think this spread of roles really only works in a conversion or high-lethality game, as in a normal mafia game confirming your role PM proves you're not a mafia. So the game needs to end before co-ordination is assured, or people must always not be trustworthy for some reason.
    Or perhaps the mafia need powers too. (At which point they need to be able to use them without drawing attention from the village)

Mafia that have their normal "mafia" power and then also a (much) lesser "village" power would be interesting (can only use one per night obvs). Give them the ability to act like a villager for the night if they think they're being checked or action seered or something, at the cost of not using their stronger mafia power.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, thanks for running! I was totally not able to devote enough brainpower to this as it deserved. Unfortunate, really, could have maybe gotten something going. But it was fun :)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    With playing against your wincon...
    Obv @kime should've voted for himself when he was paled :P

But seriously, the two-step conversion made it hard to justify I think.
    If you play against your wincon and got voted out Pale, you were still a villager, and still lost with the village.

That and ending the game tonight where the village had no chance at winning, prevented many players being torn between the two.
    MrB, GG and Aura could have technically won with the cult, but at the point where they would have joined, the game was already decided, without any of their actions having helped the cult...

discrider on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular

If you play against your wincon and got voted out Pale, you were still a villager, and still lost with the village.

That and ending the game tonight where the village had no chance at winning, prevented many players being torn between the two.
    MrB, GG and Aura could have technically won with the cult, but at the point where they would have joined, the game was already decided, without any of their actions having helped the cult...

Well, I bring it up because I was tempted to pm blarney and tell him that if he changed his votes to premium, he would win the game with me. Or, he could keep his vote as is and extend the game a few days longer, which ended up not being true, but I didn't know that at the time.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531

Well, I bring it up because I was tempted to pm blarney and tell him that if he changed his votes to premium, he would win the game with me. Or, he could keep his vote as is and extend the game a few days longer, which ended up not being true, but I didn't know that at the time.

Sounds like a good way to get MrB to heal himself :rotate:

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Thanks, disc! Don't have much to say as I wasn't privy to most of the mechanics but I had a good time trying to figure out the first few days.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Because of the weird flavour of the game (my role PM said I could Seer someone "if I must"), the first night when I Seered MagicPrime and he ended up dead I was actually unsure whether I was secretly the vig or not.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    Because of the weird flavour of the game (my role PM said I could Seer someone "if I must"), the first night when I Seered MagicPrime and he ended up dead I was actually unsure whether I was secretly the vig or not.

I would have thought the result PM should have cleared that up...

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

I mean, you had me convinced you were the vig :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular

I would have thought the result PM should have cleared that up...

I'm not an exceptionally intelligent person...

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    I mean, the cult converted you because they thought you were the busdriver, so I guess it all came around in the end.