As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Xanathar's Guide to Striking a Nerve

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    The average number of 1s you can expect is 8/12, the probability of having zero 1s is (11/12)^8 or 49.9%, and naturally the odds of at least one 1 is 50.1%.

Math - it works, bitches!

• AmarylAmaryl Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So how do you deal with the only one long rest per day? If the party stops after their morning adventuring and says: Time to sleep guys

Do you just let them roll the random encounters, and then once they "wake" you tell them they obviously not get the benefit of the long rest?

Or do you have them roll 16 or 8+X times on the random encounter for just staying in place until they get tired?

At-least what I do is just say: Hey Party, its been four hours you can't have a long rest now.

Amaryl on
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Original D&D didn't care if you took a rest after every encounter, because the benefits of resting were not as pronounced (iirc), and because wandering monsters were a thing. I remember reading some adventure that basically said if the players took too long to clear a dungeon, other adventuring parties would show up to fight them over the gold. The rewards for resting were low, and the risk of poor time management was high.

The simplest way is to state that you can't get the benefit of a long rest more than once in a 24 hour period, starting with when the rest began. That, however, doesn't stop the wizard from blowing spellslots, casting Teleport, sleeping at an inn, and teleporting back. Or casting Leomund's Tiny Hut/Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion in the middle of a dungeon.

I would say you should mix up encounters/plots to be time sensitive or not. If you're raiding a tomb filled with dire apes, then yes, go ahead and TP back and abuse long rests. But then, if the mayor's daughter is kidnapped by goblins, or a town catches on fire, the players have a clear and present danger to contend with.

• LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    I'd just say 'The book says you can have one rest every 24 hours, otherwise you're not tired enough.'

If they then insist on waiting for the rest of the whole day until they've hit the 24 hours, I'd probably start talking to them about verisimilitude and heroism and how resting all the damned time doesn't jive with that. And also about the spirit of the rules. If they still insist on resting, I'd start putting time sensitive things in the adventure - 'if you don't reach X before Y time, bad things will occur!'

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Make the party role-play what they do in the long rest

In real time

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Alternately, waiting 24 hours between encounters means that whatever group of enemies the party killed will have missed several check-ins with the boss, and result in everyone being on high alert and also a bunch of new reinforcements because patrols keep being found dead and looted.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

In real time

During the long rest, their characters bring out crudely draw statistics sheets on papyrus, wooden dice, and a hand-drawn grid.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »

In real time

During the long rest, their characters bring out crudely draw statistics sheets on papyrus, wooden dice, and a hand-drawn grid.

It's time to play Faerun's favorite RPG: Labyrinths and Lasers.

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Amaryl wrote: »
    So how do you deal with the only one long rest per day? If the party stops after their morning adventuring and says: Time to sleep guys

Do you just let them roll the random encounters, and then once they "wake" you tell them they obviously not get the benefit of the long rest?

Or do you have them roll 16 or 8+X times on the random encounter for just staying in place until they get tired?

At-least what I do is just say: Hey Party, its been four hours you can't have a long rest now.

In the beginning, the dungeon went on forever.

Like, no joke, original D&D put into itself a random dungeon generator that legit went on forever, limited only by as much graph paper as you were willing to draw it on.

When you retreated from the dungeon to spend the night back in town, some of the infinite dungeon that you couldn't see crept into the cleared-out dungeon that you could see. Well, with a couple important differences. Any hidden treasures that you'd found and looted stayed found and looted, and any monster lairs you'd cleared out and looted stayed cleared out and looted.

When you traversed the old space again, you had random encounters, and since gold was the vital ingredient in actually getting levels, a random encounter was at best a vague point at the next actual wealth store and at worst a bunch of damage that wore you down and got you no closer to leveling up.

When it went up into the wilderness, the same paradigm kind of applied. There could be hidden caches and monster lairs in the wilderness, but by and large you could not make a significant dent in it, and when you retreated to civilization it filled in from the edges.

But then there was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, which made its steps toward being a vehicle for stories, and, well, infinite dungeons don't play too nice with stories. Just ask your roguelike of choice. But while the idea of a dungeon as a contained place with a primary list of keyed encounters grew up, got legs, and ran around, the refresh mechanic never really advanced in parallel to that. Health and spell slots take the time they take to get back, and when time passes, the dungeon you abandoned in order to recover does... ?? ??? ??????

The intended pace of D&D 5E goes about like two encounters - short rest - two encounters - short rest - big encounter - long rest.

But, what happens if you have the idea for a genuinely big dungeon that's not going to fit inside that pace? Where are the PCs going to get their long rest? What's going to happen in the meantime?

But, what happens if somebody burns off most of their spell slots on encounter 1? How do you tell them it was just encounter 1 of 5 without looking like some arbitrary dick holding three-fourths of their character sheet hostage? Because ultimately, as the person playing the entire rest of the world, it's up to you whether the PCs get a short rest or a long rest no matter where it is they are?

By the time D&D realized it would have to be responsible for helping you come up with those answers, the gap had already gotten unbridgeably large.

Glazius on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Pretty sure some of the 5e official campaigns deal with the backfill. I remember reading through Princes of Apocalypse and the big elemental evil temples would have things for rooms like "6 cultists hang out here, and a patrol of 3 cultists comes by every 2 hours, relieving 3 cultists already there. If the patrol finds the room empty or dead they go to <other room> and put the whole place on alert. Original room refills with 6 cultists from the barracks and summons are sent out that in 24 hours result in every room having 2 more cultists."

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Belated high-five to @Denada for the thread title change.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I really like the Icons of the Realm player minis. Are there more than just this six pack? Most of the D&D blind box ones seem to be for monsters, unless I'm missing something. Or something similar pretty cheap, plastic, painted.

captaink on
    captaink wrote: »
    I really like the Icons of the Realm player minis. Are there more than just this six pack? Most of the D&D blind box ones seem to be for monsters, unless I'm missing something. Or something similar pretty cheap, plastic, painted.

The is also an Epic Level of the same characters.

steam_sig.png
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017

I never cared about minis much, I didn't own them so I tried not to use them, but my buddy has hundreds. So I started to use his for games, and it was great!

Then I started buying a few minis just for the characters my wife and I played. Then I started just buying cool character minis and familiars, because who doesn't want a pseudodragon or flying imp?

Then I got some monsters, too. Now I kickstart CMON games and Reaper and get 100 minis at a time, and I haven't painted any. On the bright side, I will have minis for almost any type of character.

Edit: For efficiency of money I'd recommend looking at ebay for bulk sales. For the Kickstarter stuff the minis end up costing $1-2 a piece, but if you just buy in onesies, twosies you'll end up paying more.

https://wizkids.com/dnd-unpainted/

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/1315?&resultsperpage=25&sb=price|asc

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/2689?&resultsperpage=25&sb=price|asc

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/collectible-miniatures/dungeons-dragons.html#/?sort.price=asc&amp;page=1&amp;_=1&amp;filter.stock_status=In Stock

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Going to be playing in a new 5th ed game starting this week. My buddy who ran our Strahd game is going to be running Out of the Abyss or whatever the module is called. A twist though is that we will be playing without feats. He really didn't like how powerful my polearm fighter was, so this should be interesting! Monstrous races are allowed though, so I think I'm going to try to be a minotaur druid who instead of aspect of the bear has aspect of the bull. Just reskin the bear stuff to be like a bull and when my character shape changes he will be like a dire bull.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    The neat thing about that campaign is that you start out as prisoners of the drow, with a ton of NPCs of all sorts of odd races who are also prisoners. So that's probably the most perfect campaign of all the official 5e ones to play a monstrous race in.

steam_sig.png
    Disallowing feats really sucks for fighters. There's only a few that are real cheesy and they aren't even that bad.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Disallowing feats basically makes every martial class designed to be a tank instantly useless, as sentinel is basically mandatory to do any kind of job protecting weaker allies.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I feel like if you have a group of people with whom you can openly talk to, can't you just ask, "hey, let's not cheese the feats to death, ya?"?

• FryFry Registered User regular
    It's way easier to make a rule of "no feats" than trying to get everyone to agree about which feats are "too good."

No Sentinel does feel like it's eliminating one of the most tactically interesting bits of gameplay, though.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    It's way easier to make a rule of "no feats" than trying to get everyone to agree about which feats are "too good."

No Sentinel does feel like it's eliminating one of the most tactically interesting bits of gameplay, though.

i'll be honest, in the time that my store has been hosting 5th I've yet to see a single person take sentinel. Seen a lot of great weapon fighters, initiates and sharpshooters, but never a sentinel.

I rolled up a variant human vengeance paladin this week, with Polearm Master. Is it really that cheesy?

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Gaddez wrote: »

i'll be honest, in the time that my store has been hosting 5th I've yet to see a single person take sentinel. Seen a lot of great weapon fighters, initiates and sharpshooters, but never a sentinel.

This happens in a lot of games. People love the hard to kill part, but they rarely trade offense for soft control. Gotta put those numbers out.

• AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    I rolled up a variant human vengeance paladin this week, with Polearm Master. Is it really that cheesy?

Depends on if you want to try and get away with taking Tunnel Fighter as your fighting style too.

Opportunity attacks when an opponent enters your reach+take every opportunity attack that is provoked with spending your reaction+shift half your speed whenever you hit with an opportunity attack (so you can move 5 feet backwards and force them to enter your reach again if they keep approaching) is pretty close to "immune to melee attacks as long as there's room to maneuver"

But mostly no, it's about as good as a great weapon master build, with the caveat that as a paladin you benefit more than normal from the bonus action attack (and easily-triggered reaction-speed attacks) because you can staple extra smites to them if you want to max out your burst damage.

It's a top-tier build, but does not especially stand out from the other top-tier builds.

edited August 2017
    Abbalah wrote: »

Depends on if you want to try and get away with taking Tunnel Fighter as your fighting style too.

Opportunity attacks when an opponent enters your reach+take every opportunity attack that is provoked with spending your reaction+shift half your speed whenever you hit with an opportunity attack (so you can move 5 feet backwards and force them to enter your reach again if they keep approaching) is pretty close to "immune to melee attacks as long as there's room to maneuver"

But mostly no, it's about as good as a great weapon master build, with the caveat that as a paladin you benefit more than normal from the bonus action attack (and easily-triggered reaction-speed attacks) because you can staple extra smites to them if you want to max out your burst damage.

It's a top-tier build, but does not especially stand out from the other top-tier builds.

No, no Tunnel Fighter. That's one I can definitely understand banning, it breaks the action economy that they otherwise carefully maintain. I guess you could do something similar with Polearm Master+Sentinel, though only against a single enemy at a time. They step in, provoke an opportunity attack, you hit, they stop, you take a step back, they don't get an opportunity attack since you have reach, rinse and repeat.

captaink on
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Just remember you need to move 15 foot back each time. In 5e you only provoke when leaving (and entering with PM) range, so you can dance around all you want in the 10ft area of someone with reach and not have an issue.

Assuming that they are basing you that is.

iguanacus on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »

This happens in a lot of games. People love the hard to kill part, but they rarely trade offense for soft control. Gotta put those numbers out.

I think a lot of it has to do with how the edition really seems to prioritize offense over defense; during temple of tamoachan the party fought a vampire and his handful of minions (bat swarms) and were able to obliterate them in a turn and then the vampire in two.

Now, if the edition made it so that individual monsters were harder to handle (lord knows breath weapon is about the only thing dangerous about a dragon on the ground) I could absolutely see the value of sentinel which is certainly a decent skill in it's own right but as it stand the logic of More damage=monster dead faster is a hard one to ignore.

The best CC is more DPS.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    "Dead" is still the best status condition to inflict

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular

Which is why playing tank is always insta-queue.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Einzel wrote: »

Which is why playing tank is always insta-queue.

Nah, that tends to occur because playing tank generally means being worse at soloing and other content. To use WoW as an example, the availability of tanks was directly proportional to how useful those specs were in other aspects of the game and the addition of dual specs.

In a tabletop RPG this shouldn't be a factor, and I think it just always comes down to how good the control is. A rules system almost always makes you trade a lot of damage for the battlefield control, is it worth (or perceived as worth) giving up?

D&D editions typically make that choice easy for wizard types ("so it takes the same resources to magic missile for 1d4+1 as it does to knock all the enemies unconscious...?") but for a fighter type it can be tricky, especially if the control is obfuscated by a feat tree.

I think 4E did this best by explicitly labeling their roles so that everyone besides a Striker knew they probably should be using some tricks besides just doing damage every round. But then I'm pretty heavily biased towards 4E in most regards!

Lanlaorn on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    Nah, that tends to occur because playing tank generally means being worse at soloing and other content. To use WoW as an example, the availability of tanks was directly proportional to how useful those specs were in other aspects of the game and the addition of dual specs.

If that were the case then wow these days wouldn't have tank queues be any faster than dps queues. But they still are! Fact is, people like to play aggressive, damage dealing roles more than they like to play support roles. The issue is certainly compounded when you have to choose a role at square one and stick with it forever, but it's still the case even when you don't.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »

If that were the case then wow these days wouldn't have tank queues be any faster than dps queues. But they still are! Fact is, people like to play aggressive, damage dealing roles more than they like to play support roles. The issue is certainly compounded when you have to choose a role at square one and stick with it forever, but it's still the case even when you don't.

Well, I finally quit earlier this year so I don't know about right now, but the tank queue wasn't that much better than DPS (after 10 years of iteration lol), just the difference between instant and like a minute or two. Ironically I always played a tank because I enjoyed being able to set an aggressive pace in 5 man content and raid trash, lol.

But even now soloing world content as a tank vs. non-tank is a wide disparity, even with free spec changes there's collecting two sets of gear (the new artifact system certainly didn't help - two things to level up if you want to have a DPS offspec for non-group stuff) and I always thought it was weird that in 5 man content the ratio of Tank:Healer:DPS is 1:1:3 but in raids it's 2:5:18 - so if you have enough dedicated tanks for 5 mans you have too many for raiding.

Anyway my point ultimately is that I think there are plenty of people who enjoy the fantasy of being that martial figure holding the frontline, surely at least 1 in 5 people IMO, but that game mechanics let them down in expressing it so they just go with what works.

• RendRend Registered User regular
    Anyway my point ultimately is that I think there are plenty of people who enjoy the fantasy of being that martial figure holding the frontline, surely at least 1 in 5 people IMO, but that game mechanics let them down in expressing it so they just go with what works.

It always depends on the group. In my circle of friends we are incredibly disproportionate toward support roles, with nearly everyone preferring tank or healer. But I've met lots of groups of 3-5 people for whom everyone in their group was so unwilling to do anything but damage that they had to queue for random healers and tanks and such.

In ff14 these days, where each class has one and only one role to play (and where the T:H:D ratio is 1:1:2 in both 4 man and 8 man content) a dps queue for a normal daily dungeon run is often north of 15 minutes. Tanks instant, healers usually under 3, always under 5.

Yeah there are a lot of people who enjoy the support roles as much as or more than the damage roles, but those people tend to be less common. I'd be shocked in my group if people didn't take any utility or control stuff, but I also wouldn't be at all surprised to meet a group of dnd players who had trouble getting anyone to build as a tank, or choose options which didn't directly improve their damage output.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to annoying my DM by being as unkillable as possible. My goal is to be able to Tank in a way that lets me slog through the front line toughs to get to the juicy casters.

I want to get that barbarian trait that lets you pretty much super jump. That sounds like a great way to get around.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to annoying my DM by being as unkillable as possible. My goal is to be able to Tank in a way that lets me slog through the front line toughs to get to the juicy casters.

I want to get that barbarian trait that lets you pretty much super jump. That sounds like a great way to get around.

I like the Eldritch Knight as a tank.
    Very little annoys my GM more than saying "My AC is X, so looks like you hit me? Well, I use my reaction to cast shield so my AC is X+5. Do you still hit me? Didn't think so."
    Of course, having the shocking grasp cantrip to take away your targets reaction to prevent the same thing from happening to you is pretty fun as well.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2017
    see317 wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

I like the Eldritch Knight as a tank.
    Very little annoys my GM more than saying "My AC is X, so looks like you hit me? Well, I use my reaction to cast shield so my AC is X+5. Do you still hit me? Didn't think so."
    Of course, having the shocking grasp cantrip to take away your targets reaction to prevent the same thing from happening to you is pretty fun as well.

And at some point you'll have Blur! Lets see if they can hit AC 20+ with disadvantage!

A duck! on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I want to make my miller's son turned fighter an Eldritch knight, but I am not sure how to tie it in with my narrative for the kid. Best I can come up with is a kind of jedi-bullshit where my old mentor turns out to be an Eldritch knight and he first wanted my character to grow up a bit before explaining to him that the force was always with him.

Use the foooorce, unlock thyne potential, become a master of thyne destiny. *hand wave-y motions* *die dramatically by the hands of the BBEG*

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Maybe the Miller's son always wanted to apprentice to the local wizard, but was never quite good enough for Wizbang the Mediocre to take on. Lack of talent and all that

You know, until [impetus for the adventuring life] happens and it turns out he had it in him the while time.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Fairies.

Blame the fairies.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
This discussion has been closed.