As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2017 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So I've been seeing information passed around about prop guns requiring an orange tip.

Is this a new law passed in Washington?
    When I attempted to google it, I only saw mention of airsoft guns requiring an orange tip - and airsoft guns are not allowed at PAX anyhow.

The PAX weapons policy hasn't been that in the past. And on paper, it still isn't. I don't know anything about Washington/Seattle law though.
    Weapons Check Policies
    All prop weapons brought to the show MUST be approved at the Info Booth as soon as you arrive. We will be looking for the following criteria:
    • It cannot fire any sort of projectile. (Nerf guns are only allowed if they have been deactivated and cannot fire.)
    • It cannot be an airsoft weapon. (Yes, even if it’s deactivated.)
    • It cannot be sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce (for example, a Little Sister syringe made of wood would not be allowed)
    Upon approval, your weapon and badge will be tagged and cataloged.

YoungFrey on
  • The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Yea, I know it hasn't been.

I have a pair of guns I've brought to previous PAX without an orange tip - but I have orange tips made because it's a local law here. I was wondering if something's changed...

I'm not sure if the people passing the information are truly knowledgeable, or just based on their experiences (either airsoft or other locations.)

(The orange is so gross in photos... I really hope that it's some misinformation and not a new Seattle/Washington/WSCC rule...)

The Aviatrix on
    x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's also possible that it's confusion from folks that go to PAX East, where there is a local law that requires orange tips.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    @Beker answered this over on the PAX subredit,
    yeah orange tips are not part of pax policy and don't appear to be part of any local laws for West.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • KdawgKdawg Registered User new member
    When does the PAX West schedule typically get released?

Kdawg wrote: »

I believe it was on August 12th last year.

Kdawg wrote: »
    Soon™

seriously though, I would expect within the next week. It could be later, but that's been pretty standard for the last few paxes (a month out).

• KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I'm sorry if this is posted elsewhere or has been asked but when might we expect to receive the extra goods we purchased along side our badges? I saw a notification that they would be shipped separately from the badges.

I purchased both a dice set and a blanket. I'm mostly concerned for the dice set because I want to roll a D&ND character to be prepared to play some D&D and I'm hoping to do this before my flight.

KopeAcetic on
  • PirateTruckPirateTruck Registered User regular
    My flight is due in around 5:00pm on Thursday. Will traffic be a problem getting from the airport to my hotel near the convention center? Should I look into taking rail instead? Thanks!

• sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    My flight is due in around 5:00pm on Thursday. Will traffic be a problem getting from the airport to my hotel near the convention center? Should I look into taking rail instead? Thanks!

Take the rail. Much easier.

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017

Seriously, take the light rail. It costs 3 bucks, leaves direct from the airport, takes you right downtown and you dodge ALL the traffic.

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png

Seriously, take the light rail. It costs 3 bucks, leaves direct from the airport, takes you right downtown and you dodge ALL the traffic.
    Sometimes you end up standing on the light rail for a long time, and it is the better part of an hour. But it is so cheap and easy.

KopeAcetic wrote: »
    I'm sorry if this is posted elsewhere or has been asked but when might we expect to receive the extra goods we purchased along side our badges? I saw a notification that they would be shipped separately from the badges.

I purchased both a dice set and a blanket. I'm mostly concerned for the dice set because I want to roll a D&ND character to be prepared to play some D&D and I'm hoping to do this before my flight.
    uncertain! I would email pax_questions@paxsite.com for an update on this, and post here if you get one so others can find out :)

• blindnoirblindnoir Registered User regular
    I'm getting in around 5 as well. However I'm staying at an Airbnb. I should check Google if there is a light rail that will take me close to my destination. I was just going to use an Uber or Lyft.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    There isn't "a light rail", it's "the light rail".

Map

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Sometimes you end up standing on the light rail for a long time, and it is the better part of an hour. But it is so cheap and easy.

True, but if you're coming off a flight- you've been sitting for quite a while. Stretch those legs, yo.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • blindnoirblindnoir Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    There isn't "a light rail", it's "the light rail".

Map

Thanks! I'll check out the link.

• KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

uncertain! I would email pax_questions@paxsite.com for an update on this, and post here if you get one so others can find out :)

Just a heads up I received a response from customer service and they said "They should be coming soon!"

• helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    sorry, I'm not super familiar with pinny stuff, but can anyone please tell me when do info on pins normally come out? it is like mid-month thing like the schedule?

48vla9t2j9ff.png
    helen0rz wrote: »
    sorry, I'm not super familiar with pinny stuff, but can anyone please tell me when do info on pins normally come out? it is like mid-month thing like the schedule?

Recently, the Pinny info comes out about a week before the event. But when the schedule comes out, it lists which vendors are have Pinnies, so you get to play the guessing game of what they will have until the info dump.

• oldskoolboarderoldskoolboarder Registered User regular
    Anyone know when the Sony app is live? I kept forgetting to use it last year to schedule and I'd like to be more diligent this year.

• NyanNhanNyanNhan Registered User regular

Just a heads up I received a response from customer service and they said "They should be coming soon!"

Recent tweet from PAX states that prepurchased merch is starting to going out this week.
    Not sure if I can post links but this is the tweet:

• firemaplefiremaple Registered User new member
    Does anyone know if there will be a shuttle running between buildings again this year? I'm currently doing PT to recover from a broken ankle and surgery. I'll get a med badge to help in the convention center, but getting to some of the other buildings could be challenging for me; I'm especially concerned about the distance and hill between WSCC and Benaroya Hall.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but if we're looking to buy a set of PAX badges secondhand, what's the least sketchy way to do so?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited August 2017
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but if we're looking to buy a set of PAX badges secondhand, what's the least sketchy way to do so?

It is not OK to try buying/selling them here. But Reddit has a PAXPassExchange. Which got even better this year. They now sell (closer) to cost. Now it's cost + shipping + Paypal fees. So for a full set you'd be facing a max of ~$205.

YoungFrey on
    firemaple wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there will be a shuttle running between buildings again this year? I'm currently doing PT to recover from a broken ankle and surgery. I'll get a med badge to help in the convention center, but getting to some of the other buildings could be challenging for me; I'm especially concerned about the distance and hill between WSCC and Benaroya Hall.
    It's likely that the shuttle for the Benaroya will continue, but I have no concrete information on that yet.

YoungFrey wrote: »
    It is not OK to try buying/selling them here. But Reddit has a PAXPassExchange. Which got even better this year. They now sell (closer) to cost. Now it's cost + shipping + Paypal fees. So for a full set you'd be facing a max of ~$205.
    That pass exchange is likely your best bet for the un-supported exchanging of badges for monies. However, just like any other third party source, there's no perfect way of validating the badges without having them checked by PAX in person at the show.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    It's likely that the shuttle for the Benaroya will continue, but I have no concrete information on that yet.

I do. Shuttles will run from 11am-8pm (6pm on Monday) with fully ADA-compliant vans running every 10 minutes. Vans will go between WSCC, Benaroya, Westin and Paramount.

whypick1 on
  • alansmith52alansmith52 Registered User regular
    please don't let me down pax.. ive told my kids how magical this is. please pax,, please...

• BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »

I do. Shuttles will run from 11am-8pm (6pm on Monday) with fully ADA-compliant vans running every 10 minutes. Vans will go between WSCC, Benaroya, Westin and Paramount.

Where do we pick up these magical rides?

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
    For WSCC it should be in the tunnel and in front of the building for the other stops.

• rickhunter100rickhunter100 Registered User new member
    I was only able to get a Monday badge. When the badge came in the mail, there was a flyer in it that said the Bungie venue at the Paramount would only be open Friday thru Sunday but not Monday. Anybody know if this is true, and if so is there another way to get in with a Monday badge?

Yes, the Bungie area is only open F-Su. It is still a part of PAX, which means you need a valid pass for that day for entry.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    I was only able to get a Monday badge. When the badge came in the mail, there was a flyer in it that said the Bungie venue at the Paramount would only be open Friday thru Sunday but not Monday. Anybody know if this is true, and if so is there another way to get in with a Monday badge?

DeeJ even confirmed it in a tweet

IhtGIyi.png
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    RiDE wrote: »
    OK I have a serious question about PAX: where is the mythical kitten room?

Can confirm that this is coming back to the ACT Theater on behalf of the Indie MegaBooth. http://indiemegabooth.com/indie-megabooth-pax-west-2017-lineup-announced/

This has been your important cat programming informational reminder of PAX West.

• sediroxsedirox Registered User regular

Can confirm that this is coming back to the ACT Theater on behalf of the Indie MegaBooth. http://indiemegabooth.com/indie-megabooth-pax-west-2017-lineup-announced/

This has been your important cat programming informational reminder of PAX West.

Alright, time to stock up on allergy pills so I can play with the kitties!

• Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I recall a few exhibitors doing appointments for game demos. Any idea if this is happening again and where signups will happen?

• DarkNutKDDarkNutKD Registered User regular
    I recall a few exhibitors doing appointments for game demos. Any idea if this is happening again and where signups will happen?

I believe that Sony does demo appointments through their PlayStation experience app. It might be best to keep an eye out on any social media of the companies whose games you want to demo at Pax.

• RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular

I literally just sat and went 'hehehehehe' gleefully for like 30 seconds after reading that, I am seriously stoked to find the cat room this year

I CAN'T GAME THERE ARE KITTENS TO PET

#priorities

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    For those who are waiting, my PAX blanket arrived in the mail yesterday (I live North of Seattle, so if it was shipped local I'm really close).
    It's very soft and is a pretty good size!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
This discussion has been closed.