As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Edit: Interesting! The author, Ree Soesbee, was pretty prolific with L5R.. and appears now to work with Guild Wars and ArenaNet.

She was actually the story lead after John Wick left.

cckerberos.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    #L5RLive should be kicking off here in a minute. They'll be doing Crab, Phoenix, and Unicorn talk... and also talking about GenCon events.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Hmmm.

Found today in the Crane clan previews...

TOEQbdUh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited August 2017
    Okay, that's kind of funny. They mentioned that the spoiler for the stream was already live on the website, and that you'd have to go find it yourself.

It was hidden in the Crane article, in the card fan. Scorpion personality: Favored Niece.

EDIT: Dangit.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Sorry man.

I wonder if they'd put previews into other games?

edited August 2017
    Nope. Even worse - buried in a link for Hida Tomonatsu.

gsNorvQ.jpg

I feel like my moment in the sun of being a Unicorn player is getting upstaged. :P

Athenor on
    Man, they're going to have to set off a bug bomb or something to flush out this infestation, aren't they?

persona4celestia.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    supposedly scorpion clan was designed largely by damon stone

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Shorty wrote: »
    supposedly scorpion clan was designed largely by damon stone
    So either it is a clan full of sifr/rumor mill strength cards or a clan of CI Fund/Chief Slee ideas.

Edit: that was a little unfair. Damon did some good things for Netrunner. Though I think the number of templating/rules issues the cards he designed was higher than average.

Ethea on
    edited August 2017
    Scorpion's always historically had a problem where their "game plan" to win the game... generally doesn't work. And when it did, it generally dragged the game out and made everyone playing that round want to find a dark hole to crawl in instead because it was miserable and often went to time and they would try to blackmail you into conceding the game so both players don't get hit with a double-loss. It'll be interesting to see if they are able to avoid that with this new iteration.

EDIT; I apparently didn't finish my thought. I figure Damon's probably a good source for ideas on how to get something strange like them to work. And it's not like he's the only designer that worked on Scorpion.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • KesterKester Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Scorpion's always historically had a problem where their "game plan" to win the game... generally doesn't work. And when it did, it generally dragged the game out and made everyone playing that round want to find a dark hole to crawl in instead because it was miserable and often went to time and they would try to blackmail you into conceding the game so both players don't get hit with a double-loss. It'll be interesting to see if they are able to avoid that with this new iteration.

EDIT; I apparently didn't finish my thought. I figure Damon's probably a good source for ideas on how to get something strange like them to work. And it's not like he's the only designer that worked on Scorpion.

What was their game plan? My impression from the rulebook was that they're an event-heavy faction focused on manipulating honour/dishonour, but nothing deeper than that. Did they end up as a kind of control deck that can prevent you from achieving anything useful but never had a way to turn that into a win?

edited August 2017
    Kinda-sorta, yeah. My memory's a bit hazy from the years, but what I remember was that dedicated Honor vs. Dishonor match-ups would often stale-mate, since the honor side could just gain honor at the same rate (or faster) than the dishonor player could drop it. And if the dishonor player swapped into military, they were often basically a crappier version of a military deck that the honor deck already had the tools to try to fend off.

Military vs. Dishonor went a bit better for them, but depended on the meta whether it was good or not. There was some definite bad feels having to seppuku a bunch of your expensive guys that got hit with dishonor, and that turned the big honor loss bursts more into a slow bleed. (Yay, I brought three personalities into play this turn! ...and had to seppuku them all on the opponent's turn. ...yay.) Also depended on what period of the game rule-set, since some decks had to worry about honor requirements. A key early dishonor could mean you don't get to play the game since you're now under your honor requirement and can't bring personalities in. (The "blood money" rule that eventually came helped out a bunch there, where you could pay more to get around it.)

And then they would rarely run into a Shadowlands match-up and just crumple when their opponent just didn't give a shit about losing honor, since they can't.

At some points, I think I remember them having a pretty decent dedicated military deck filled with filthy tricks to make your opponent's personalities suck. Poison debuffing things... throwing around negative chi counters... (back in the day, if a personality hit 0 chi they immediately died)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Towers of the Yogo made Scorpion military much more doable, especially when you threw the Ratling sensei on it.

I'd generally end a combat with the entire enemy army bowed and one of my units umbowed, hopefully with enough force to take the province.

I think making political conflicts a viable strategy will help differentiate the Scorpion and Crane clans without turning the game into solitaire.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Scorpion made sense in the early L5R years, when honor engines weren't as powerful and a dishonor win could be gotten to. They never revised its strat enough once the power engines showed up.

What is this I don't even.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The nastiest Scorpion deck I played was my friends. It was open so it had stuff that was from all releases and fell into our fun deck.

But it was a Scorpion discard deck. With his build he could discard your entire dynasty deck in like 10 turns or something. And when you had to cards to replace you were basically dead. It was vicious and super Scorpion in play style.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The nastiest Scorpion deck I played was my friends. It was open so it had stuff that was from all releases and fell into our fun deck.

But it was a Scorpion discard deck. With his build he could discard your entire dynasty deck in like 10 turns or something. And when you had to cards to replace you were basically dead. It was vicious and super Scorpion in play style.

I expect that to be a viable strategy for the Scorpion in the new game. 5 honor hit per deck cycle is no mean feat, and mandating an upper deck size limit means no one can fight that style just with strength of numbers.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The thing I'm most curious about with Scorpion is what tricks they will have to avoid their own loss through dishonor.

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I only ever played after Gold Ed and the design had moved the clan to military instead of dishonor. I never knew dishonor decks but I knew why they were problematic. First turn Breach of Etiquette and all your people have Honor Reqs equal to your starting honor - not fun to play against. Yogo Towers, Bayushi Paneki, Shosuro Yudoka, Bayushi Kamnan was the game I knew. Just cheap effective personalities for days and the ability to bow to bow from the Stronghold was ridiculous. Load in some control like Kolat Assassin and Ambush, you were good to go.

Based on what we've seen for Honored and Dishonored status with bonus/penalties for Glory, I expect new Scorpion to be a debuff faction rather than pursuing victory through dishonoring opponents out. Though it's also possible they might pursue dishonor victory by leeching honor from opponents during bids then going for the kill with the Dishonored status.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
    Not sure which page this one was hiding on, but a card fan had a new Scorpion conflict-deck Character preview: Adept of Shadows.

persona4celestia.jpg
    I think that fan was spoiled a ways back, but it is still a very interesting card. :) Lots of people on the L5R facebook group talking about using it with Togashi Yokuni.

edited August 2017
    PONIES!

My clan arrives.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/9/wandering-warriors/

Edit: Oh shit they play like Criminal - strike fast and strike hard before your opponent's defenses are set. Hoooo yes... this will be good.

Athenor on
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Definitely look cool, but they also seem pretty expensive. Probably allying with Dragon to get some good attachments.

edited August 2017
    Woooow, there's a lot of good stuff in there. The Moto Partybus is coming to your town!

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Definitely look cool, but they also seem pretty expensive. Probably allying with Dragon to get some good attachments.

This was my first thought. As a criminal player, my goal is to make money... Lots of money... to fuel my blitz.

With this not being about building economy engines, I'm really not sure how to be aggressive early-game. I'm listening to Nate French talk about them with Team Covenant now.

Cavalry Reserves seems like it's going to be a thing, especially if you happen to pick up some extra fate across the battle segment to spend for it.

I *will* laugh the first time a Doji Gift Giver's present is what tips the scale and lets you fire the Reserves to just level a province now.

Also just noticed that they mentioned Scorpion week starting "early" next week, so they really are cramming it all in there.

persona4celestia.jpg
    The Dragon just got ambushed.

l5c01_p6_cardfan.png

Hrngh. I want it. Maybe if I ask nicely they'll just give me a copy for my birthday next week?

I want full details from GENCON goers.

Okay. I couldn't resist anymore, especially if the Kolat demo deck for Unicorn is put up tomorrow.

pKdFV5yh.jpg

• TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    There are a couple of decent looking Table Top Simulator mods people have done with the cards released so far. Buddy and I are going to give things a run through this weekend in prep for the Thursday inaugural tourney at Gencon.

I looked at TTS once.. and then I heard it was a physics simulator. I don't want to fiddle with that. :(

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I looked at TTS once.. and then I heard it was a physics simulator. I don't want to fiddle with that. :(

It isn't that bad at all. And is pretty good for playing with some bros.

u7stthr17eud.png
    A Heavy weight on the Hatamoto. Here is the story choice.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/10/smokeless-fire/

The Phoenix are basically human ouroboros, with their heads up their own asses in regards to magic affairs.

I do think it'd be fair if the Unicorn have to share their secrets with the Phoenix, that the Phoenix have to share some of theirs with the Unicorn.

persona4celestia.jpg
    That choice is pretty awesome. It has some weight to it from a story perspective and has a clear line to the theme of the second card cycle (I'm assuming the first would be too far into production) without causing an immediate, massive shakeup to the world.

The Unicorn peeps on Facebook are already asking about us being kicked as the little guy. Here was my rebuttal:

I don't see it that way. Binding spirits against their will can (and will) make them very, very pissed at you. It is dangerous, especially if you do not give back or make it worth their while. The impression I got from the story is that the spirits that have been bound from beyond the borders of the empire are hostile to those within... So the magic practice itself isn't necessarily bad, but the spirits we bound might be. Even moreso if spirits were collected as we were passing through the shadowlands.

Like.. imagine how powerful the magic would be if we worked with the spirits? Maybe that's something the other clans can help with?

How were story decisions made in the old game?

That's awesome and I'm so glad they're keeping living story and strong player/clan identity going.

Tomanta wrote: »
    How were story decisions made in the old game?

I believe they were made at the Koteis. Basically they asked a question of the winner, who then made a choice, and then the fiction writer would jack with it. :)

I'm not finding a good comprehensive source of the player choices made in the past. Let me ask around.