As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Pokémon NO Fest, Part 2

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Pokémon NO Fest, Part 2

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    William Jennings Bryan lookin' pretty good for 157.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I gay-ron-tee that the ("simple country") lawyer has a Southern accent.

"You, suh..."

Commander Zoom on
  • cjmoore25cjmoore25 Registered User new member
    edited August 2017
    If you're wanting to compare someone to a much more skilled Pokemon trainer, I seriously doubt that Ash is the best example to use.

cjmoore25 on
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Ash suffered a stroke/heart attack while trying to capture Pikachu in the very first episode and everything after that has been the vivid fantasy of his comatose mind. It is the only way the show makes any sense.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular

"You, suh..."

Is he though? How can you tell?

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Yeah, Ash is a great Pokemon trainer. His undefeatable strategy of using Pokemon against types they're weak against, refusing to evolve the ones he does catch and letting half of them go really captures the essence of the games. Not to mention the way he always loses at the end of every season.

Sadgasm on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Ash suffered a stroke/heart attack while trying to capture Pikachu in the very first episode and everything after that has been the vivid fantasy of his comatose mind. It is the only way the show makes any sense.

Yeah. Everything else just totally wrecks my suspension of disbelief for this world of magic lightning mice and psychic cats.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    More to the point, Ash normally doesn't actually try to catch anything.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

"You, suh..."

Is he though? How can you tell?

He's wearing suspenders, he's overweight, and sweating. What more do you want? He couldn't be more southern without an RC and a MoonPie.

• rcattrcatt Registered User regular
    It's the sweat that sells this for me. The droplets in panel 3 are perfect.
    Thank you.

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    The lawyer is saying Mr. Niantic isn't even Ash, and that's with the latter's flaws. :P

76561197966849367.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    That's not Mr Niantec on the stand. The lawyer is clearly the defense attorney.

steam_sig.png
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    You're right. I totally assumed. Is this normal procedure in court? I'm confused.

76561197966849367.png
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »
    You're right. I totally assumed. Is this normal procedure in court? I'm confused.
    Yes, typically the poketrainer takes the stage.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The defense attorney is interviewing a Go-Fest attendee, and his defense is that the attendee was "doing it wrong."

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The defense attorney is interviewing a Go-Fest attendee, and his defense is that the attendee was "doing it wrong."

Now you know how anyone who plays Dark Souls feels.

YoungFrey on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The comic is best when read in the voice of Frank Underwood.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    William Jennings Bryan lookin' pretty good for 157.

Reminds me more of Lloyd Bentsen, though he certainly doesn't look the part.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-7gpgXNWYI

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • DarthEnderXDarthEnderX Registered User regular
    cjmoore25 wrote: »
    If you're wanting to compare someone to a much more skilled Pokemon trainer, I seriously doubt that Ash is the best example to use.
    Seriously this.

Ash has been "trying to catch 'em all" for twenty years now, and he's caught a total of, like, 80 of them. And he's released/given away half of those.

Any real trainer with Ash's track record should throw themselves into the sea.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't think he cares that much about catching them all. He just wants to be a good trainer, which has a variety of possible outcomes and is more of an ethos than an actual goal.

• donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    Yeah, the English tagline "Gotta Catch 'Em All" was never really used by Ash in the series. And it really still hasn't been. He's always wanted to be a "Pokemon Master" which is a vague term that basically just amounts to being a very skilled trainer and maybe becoming a league champion.

steam_sig.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Look it's right there in the theme song
    "To catch them is my real test"
    Are you saying they lied to us through song?
    I hate it when people do that.

steam_sig.png
  • GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    He might have amounted to something, if they didn't reset him to zero(+Pikachu) every time a new season is made. I don't know why he had to be constant, while the other character rotated. A new protagonist every season would have made more sense.(But executive meddling is a trope for a reason.)

• PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2017/08/10/warren-spector-is-kicking-off-pax-dev
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-08-10-devs-must-define-success-for-themselves-spector

Poor Spector. No matter what he wants at this point, it's likely that his legacy is going to be mostly Deus Ex and talking a lot. I wish his team the best of luck with their work on SS3, though.

• DarthEnderXDarthEnderX Registered User regular
    GDT1985 wrote: »
    He might have amounted to something, if they didn't reset him to zero(+Pikachu) every time a new season is made.
    He might have amounted to something if, in every episode, when they introduce a new Pokemon(which is almost every episode), if he caught one of those Pokemon.

• GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    Meh, why catch more pokemon, when Pikachu wins most fights?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Ash's Pikachu is hacked.

• shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    Not being ash is a compliment not an insult.