As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chapter 1: The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe - A [13th Age] PbP

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Initiative!

Initiative!:
    1d20+2 14 [1d20=12]

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Kasben attempts to interject with Firigin to inquire about the "last person" who came asking about Inigo, but is himself interrupted by the erupting chaos.

"Never a dull moment in the Empire..." he sighs loudly, unshouldering his bow and widening his stance.

I keep forgetting to share the sketch of this character I had done. I'll try to do that this week.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Initiative

Initiative:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]

Gathered and ordered rolls so far since we page wrapped

MagicPrime/Mikhail: 20
    Elvenshae/Tomas: 19
    Nullzone/Kasben: 18
    Hedge Wizard: 16
    Club Thug: 15
    Brody/Bragg: 14
    Swordbearer: 13
    Dart Thrower: 5
    Swordbearer: 4

@Reynolds I believe you are the only one left for initiative.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    You will have less than 12 hours to post when it is your turn, at which point we will pass to the next in order. If you are passed, feel free to jump in interrupting the order. You're initiative will reset to this new place in order. After you complete a turn, please @ the next person in the order to notify them.

@Reynolds Roll initiative and I'll slot you in.

Initiative Order!
    @MagicPrime 20
    @Elvenshae 19
    @Nullzone 18
    Hedge Wizard 16
    Club Thug 15
    @Brody 14
    Swordbearer#1 13
    @Reynolds 9
    Dart Thrower 5
    Swordbearer#2 4

@MagicPrime is up first!

@Nullzone you must share arts with meeeee! I want to see!

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    With a hop and a slide Mikhail moves back putting a few of his allies bodies between himself and the thugs. He throws his arms out and the embers within his eyes become brilliant golden orange flares. His teeth clench down into a menacing grin, and for a moment the playful and sarcastic facade pulls away to reveal something disturbing and sinister.

He pulls his hands together, fingers spread, the burning gaze set upon the 'Hedge Wizard' in the distance. A voice speaks in his mind, as if Puck was choking on broken glass.

"Teach this rabble a lesson... freeze their blood, burn flesh from bone, bless the sands with ashes."

Energy begins to coalesce between his palms.

Results:
    Energy for Chaos Bolt will be Thunder until the end of the encounter.
    I will use my Racial ability to make my 13 a 12 and activate the spell's Chaotic Benefit.

Damage:
    Swordman1 - AC16/PD13/MD12/HP27
    Swordman2 - AC16/PD13/MD12/HP27
    Club Thug - AC16/PD13/MD12/HP27
    Hedge Wizard - AC16/PD12/MD13/HP15
    Dart Thrower - AC16/PD12/MD13/HP27

Geth roll 1d4 for Random Element
    Geth roll 1d20+4+1-2 for Chaos Bolt (Far Target) vs PD
    Geth roll 1d8+4 for Chaos Bolt Damage

Random Element:
    1d4 4 [1d4=4]
    Chaos Bolt (Far Target) vs PD:
    1d20+4+1-2 16 [1d20=13]
    Chaos Bolt Damage:
    1d8+4 9 [1d8=5]

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    edited August 2017
    Geth roll 1d6 for Chaotic Benefit

Results:
    Deal damage equal to your level to all nearby staggered enemies. Not applicable currently.

That's my turn. @Elvenshae

Chaotic Benefit:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]

MagicPrime on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Once she'd had a peek inside, Kirst decided to loiter outside by the entrance, leaning against the wall of the domed hovel. She rolled her eyes at the conversation. "Boys." The half-orc stood up with a snort at Mikhail's comment. "Nice try, Sparky. He's not my type. I'm like 'em tall, dark green and handsome. And loaded."

As the group of ne'er-do-wells appeared, she straightened up, hands sliding towards her hidden weapons once again. And, this time, something else. "Around here somewhere..." She mumbled to herself as she searched her pockets...
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Initiative.

Initiative:
    1d20+5 9 [1d20=4]

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Go ahead , @Nullzone - On my way to the airport, will be able to post in ~an hour.

EDIT: Okay - I've got some time to maek poast before my flight. I'll go now!

Elvenshae on
    edited August 2017
    "No, Mikhail - we are not going to go easy on these ... peasants." Tomas plants his staff on the ground before him, recognizing the dangerous light in the eyes of his opponents. And, since Tomas is Tomas, he also notices how sloppily the Crusader's sigil is emblazoned on the shields, and how the knife-thrower's belts cause his shirt to hang awkwardly on his frame.

Although Mikhail judged the wizard to be the most dangerous target, Tomas was confident in his ability to shut down the lesser mage's attempts to harness magic - for a short time, anyway. Instead, the large, particularly ugly one with the club appears to Tomas be the - ah, hah - largest danger, and he conjures a jagged shard of ice. Tossing it with skill long-practiced at late-night darts sessions, the shard hits the club-wielder in the throat, and he goes down choking on his own blood.

Tomas then pulls a mote of blue light out of the air, and sends it towards the knife-thrower. When it reaches the target, it wraps around one of his throwing blades, and attempts to pull it from its sheathe to toss aside. With that, Tomas adjusts so that Bragg is between him and the sword-wielders.

Standard action to cast Frost Bolt
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 vs PD13
    Geth, roll 3d6 for Cold Damage

Result is a crit for double damage, so 28 to the face for Club Thug. He goes down!

Quick action to Mage Hand and attempt to reduce the knife-thrower's ammo count / distract him. Not sure what you want me to roll here? Move action to get somewhat-ish behind Bragg. If the hedge wizard attempts a spell, I'll attempt to counter-spell it; it would be a roll at +5 vs. 13, and please roll it for me if it comes up.

MagicPrime / Mikhail:
    Elvenshae / Tomas: AC12/PD12/MD16/HP21
    Nullzone / Kasben:
    Club Thug - AC16/PD13/MD12/HP-1
    Swordman1 - AC16/PD13/MD12/HP27

vs PD13:
    1d20+5 25 [1d20=20]
    Cold Damage:
    3d6 14 [3d6=5, 6, 3]

Elvenshae on

@Nullzone Your go!

edited August 2017
    Kasben focuses for a moment, collecting his bearings as spells and screams erupt around him. Not really sure what to make of these attackers, he falls back onto his training and nocks an arrow, firing up and over the heads of the charging rabble, aimed squarely at the one in the back with a glowing palm.

Standard action to attack at range. No penalty for far range with a longbow that I'm aware of.
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 Attack the Hedge Wizard (AC16)

Kasben ducks an incoming dart right as he looses the arrow, causing the shot to go wide. He quickly stands and moves to engage one of the rushing swordsmen, pulling out his kama and using his illusory power to make the weapon appear much larger, feinting his opponent into blocking early.

Move to engage Swordsman #1, and make a Comeback Strike with Power Attack (both free actions).

to Attack the Hedge Wizard (AC16)!:
    1d20+5 11 [1d20=6]

Nullzone on
    edited August 2017
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Melee Attack
    Geth, roll 1d6+1d4+2 for Melee Hit
    Geth, roll 1d4+2 for Melee Miss

The swordsman sees through the illusion just in time to block, but flinches as the blade seems to "jump" - the Empire's weapons training at its finest, allowing a flick of the wrist to change the trajectory at the last second. The kama finds purchase, scraping across his clothes and leaving a gash in his arm.

I forgot my Grim Intent maneuver dealt damage on an even miss, and I also messed up the math on the miss damage. So I'm not triple posting, I'm just going to take the d6 result from the hit roll and use it as my Grim Intent bonus; total damage then is 1d4+1d6+1, using whatever d4 result is on the miss line.

MagicPrime / Mikhail:
    Nullzone / Kasben: AC19/PD14/MD11/HP33
    Club Thug - AC16/PD13/MD12/HP -1
    Brody / Bragg:
    Swordman1 - AC16/PD13/MD12/HP16
    Reynolds / Kirst:

Updated the HP/defense chart to include Kirst and Bragg in turn order so we can just keep refreshing it :D

Melee Attack:
    1d20 10 [1d20=10]
    Melee Hit:
    1d6+1d4+2 12 [1d6=6] [1d4=4]
    Melee Miss:
    1d4+2 5 [1d4=3]

Nullzone on
    Nooo! My club man got bitched immediately.

So sad.... I'll take vengeance. Hedge wizard attack incoming tonight.

edited August 2017
    The hedge, witnessing his clubbed friend drop like a stone in the sand and dodging arrows, charges up the dune for higher ground spraying sand in his wake. Planting himself up there, he tears a page from the book which immediately ignites in blue flames. He holds the burning paper aloft, the intensity of the fires growing then begins to cackle madly.

"Let me show you the power of FIRE!" he howls like some cheesy 80s metal singer, hurling a blue searing jet of flames at Mikhail.

Geth roll 1d20+4 vs Mikhail's PD 13

Damage 4
    Miss Damage 1

MagicPrime / Mikhail: AC13/PD13/MD12/HP23
    Brody / Bragg: AC18/PD15/MD10/HP36
    Swordman1 - AC16/PD13/MD12/HP16
    Reynolds / Kirst: AC14/PD14/MD11/HP21

vs Mikhail's PD 13:
    1d20+4 19 [1d20=15]

Mikey CTS on
    edited August 2017
    The coldfire catches Mikhail in the leg as the half-elf, half-efreet attempts to avoid it, scorching him behind the knee.

Up next ... @Brody

Mikey CTS on
    edited August 2017
    With a thrilled shout (if slightly delayed), Bragg draws his sword and charges right in, hot on the heals of the icicle, swinging like a madman for the nearest swordsman.

With a manic grin Bragg drives his sword hard into the cultists side to a resounding crack of breaking ribs. Resetting his shield and rolling his mechanika arm, Bragg looks into the swordsman's eyes and blows him a kiss.

"Your turn, sweetie."

Move action: close distance to nearest cultist.
    Action: Melee Basic Attack
    Damage=10
    Odd roll triggers Carve an Opening, crit range at 19+
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Swinging at the Swordsman
    Get roll 1d8+4 for Damage?

Swinging at the Swordsman:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]

Brody on

edited August 2017
    I guess I need to add Geth to autocorrect

Geth roll 1d8+4 for Damage!

Damage!:
    1d8+4 10 [1d8=6]

Brody on

Sorry, phone posting is hard >.>

I'd also like to state the intent to use Skilled Intercept if Swordsman 1 or 2 attempts to attack our backline. Roll an 11+ save, pop free of up to 1 enemy, and move into the line of attack and become the target of the enemies attack. Go ahead and roll for me if this comes up please

@Mikey CTS gets the next move.

Brody / Bragg: AC18/PD15/MD10/HP36
    Swordman1 - AC16/PD13/MD12/HP6

edited August 2017
    The swordsman stumbles back, clutching the wound so fiercely delivered. He snarls "You should have stayed in the pits, tiny. In real combat, we aim to kill!" Shield in hand, he looks to create an opening from which to strike back at Bragg with a fatal blow. The clever halfling, however, can see straight through the swordsman's feint and deftly avoids it. He feels no need to respond. He has nothing to prove to this fool, after all. Action speaks louder than words.

Geth roll 1d20+4 vs Bragg AC 18

Damage on hit 4
    Miss damage 1

@Brody attempting to disengage from a swordsman will result in automatically taking 1 damage. Just a heads up.

Brody / Bragg: AC18/PD15/MD10/HP35

vs Bragg AC 18:
    1d20+4 12 [1d20=8]

Mikey CTS on
    Up next... @Reynolds

edited August 2017
    "Emperor, Priestess...Crusader, there we are." Kirst was mumbling under her breath as the others fought, half-watching the fight, finally freeing her hands once she'd found what she was looking for. One hand was holding a knife, but not for long. It went flying towards the swordsman that Bragg was keeping busy, while Kirst herself began moving towards the other, unoccupied swordsman. She wasn't brandishing a weapon in the other hand, though. Instead, she flashed a wooden seal of some sort towards the ruffian, trying to keep it out of view of the others.

The symbol of The Crusader.

"Your friends are as good as dead. But, follow my lead, and you can live. And maybe we can finish our mission." The half-orc stage whispered to the bandit to be heard over the sounds of battle, jerking her head meaningfully towards the nearest dune, where they might possibly find some cover and a potential escape route.

Quick action to draw the knife and very fake symbol.
    Standard action to use Flying Blade on the injured swordsman Bragg is Engaged with.
    Move action to approach the uninjured swordsman that hasn't acted yet.
    Free action to Smooth Talk the swordsman.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Flying Blade Attack
    Geth, roll 1d4+4 for Flying Blade Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Smooth Talk
    Edit: I think these dice are broken...but at least a Miss still does 1 damage to Swordsman1, taking him down to 5 HP.

Flying Blade Attack:
    1d20+5 7 [1d20=2]
    Flying Blade Damage:
    1d4+4 6 [1d4=2]
    Smooth Talk:
    1d20+4 12 [1d20=8]

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited August 2017
    The other swordbearer decides determines that his ally could use some assistance now that it is two-on-one. He hesitates for a moment, then see his opening. He then forces himself between Krist and Bragg, engaging them both as he slips his blade between Kirst's rips. Kirst sees the glint of the blade, elbowing the swordbearer's wrist so that the blade won't be driven into her heart, though it still carves deep in her flank.

Meanwhile, the man straped with throwing knives darts (hehe) up the opposite dune his hedge wizard companion. He pulls a curatorial selection of blades from his person, then loses them toward Tomas. Tomas, scoffs and simply steps aside the incoming projectiles. He is less than impressed by these foes, thus far.

Geth roll 1d20+4 vs Kirst's AC14

Damage 4
    Miss damage 1

Geth roll 1d20+4 vs Tomas's AC12

Damage 3
    Miss damage 1
    Secondary effect: ANYONE WHO MOVES TO ENGAGE THE DART THROWER WILL AUTOMATICALLY TAKE ONE DAMAGE!

Escalation: +1
    Elvenshae / Tomas: AC12/PD12/MD16/HP20
    Reynolds / Kirst: AC14/PD14/MD11/HP17

Up next... @MagicPrime Escalation Die is set at +1

vs Kirst's AC14:
    1d20+4 14 [1d20=10]
    vs Tomas's AC12:
    1d20+4 6 [1d20=2]

Mikey CTS on
    edited August 2017
    The lance of coldfire strikes Mikhail in the leg, making a hole in the fine fabrics covering his legs. Mikhail shows no sign of discomfort or lack of focus.

He throws his arms up into the sky and a swirl of magic heat incases him causing the sand at his feet to glow and glass over. His eyes smolder and leak fire, his hair rises on the thermals and glows like molten steel, his skin glows from within.

Geth roll 1d6 for Gathering Power

That's my turn. @Elvenshae

Results - Chaotic Benefit for 'Gather Power': You gain a +1 bonus to AC until the start of your next turn.

Note: 'Gathering Power' allows me to cast my next spell for double-damage and gives me a random benefit.

Gathering:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

MagicPrime on
    @Mikey CTS
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Quick action to Mage Hand and attempt to reduce the knife-thrower's ammo count / distract him. Not sure what you want me to roll here?

Did this accomplish anything last round?

My bad, I forgot to respond to that. As a quick action, absolutely not. I'm not the kind of GM interested in granularly tracking ammunition. Snatch a knife or two off this guy ain't gonna make difference. If you want to use a Standard Action and make an Int roll vs PD, well then it'd have some tangible effect. As to what that effect might be, you'll have to make that roll to find out. Might be pretty cool, though.

Well, the only reason it's a quick action is because my talent Cantrip Mastery drops it from a Standard for me. Since I'm getting on a plane, I'll drop a roll here for that one and do the rest of my turn later today ...

Geth, roll 1d20+5 vs PD12

vs PD12:
    1d20+5 14 [1d20=9]

Oh I get you and I've read your character sheet. I'm just presenting you with options should you wish to play with them. Since you can remove a single knife or two for little effect with a Quick action, imagine what you could do with a Standard action!

But I'll tell you what, if you're not interested in pursuing that option instead I will offer the option to negate his auto-damage on pursuit ability as the Quick action. You can either do the real cool thing I offered, or this boring little trick that'll save you guys 1, maybe 2 damage over the course of the battle. Your choice.

For now, we'll assume @Elvenshae choose to do the first last turn so anyone pursuing the dart thrower won't take damage. He can decide to do the cool thing this turn if he wishes.

To keep things move, @Nullzone is up.

Yeah - plane taxiing. Go with the first for now, and will adjust when I take my real turn. :)

Now I'm not sure why I stayed up late to post...

uyvfOQy.png
    As the line of scrimmage quickly converges on Kasben's position, he takes the opportunity to loose another arrow at the spellslinger who has foolishly planted himself in the open on high ground.

I forget how exactly Engaged works and whether the Swordsman can still OA me since he's now also scuffling with Bragg - it's fine if he can, my AC in that case is 21.

Geth, roll 1d20+5+1 for Longbow vs Hedge Wizard (AC16)
    Geth, roll 1d10+4 for Longbow Damage
    Miss damage 1

Longbow vs Hedge Wizard (AC16):
    1d20+5+1 15 [1d20=9]
    Longbow Damage:
    1d10+4 7 [1d10=3]

edited August 2017
    The shot wobbles and misses its mark, but kicks up enough sand as it lands to cause the Hedge to yelp in surprise.

Hedge Wizard - AC16/PD12/MD13/HP14

Wizard time, @Mikey CTS!

beeteedubs, here's Kasben in the digital flesh!
    pa29b3toe40j.jpg

Nullzone on
    Landed! I'll hop in now.

edited August 2017
    The mote circling around the dart-thrower flickers and dies, and, with a grin, Tomas sends another his way. It was not supremely effective, as far distractions went, but it kept the ruffian slightly occupied and, more importantly, it amused Tomas.

With a more serious cast to his features, Tomas turns his attention to a much more dangerous target: the second swordsman. Another deadly icicle forms in Tomas's hands ... and is propelled on its way accurately, striking the foe in the chest and radiating magical cold through his body. His movements slow dramatically!

Quick action to Mage Hand at the knife-tosser, standard action to cast Ray of Frost on Swordman2, and prepare to counter-magic the Hedge Wizard if he's tossing something ugly our way.

Geth, roll 1d20+5+1 vs PD12
    Geth, roll 3d6 for Cold damage
    Miss damage 1

10 damage, and corrected Swordman1's health from Kirst's attack.

Swordman1 - AC16/PD13/MD12/HP5
    Swordman2 - AC16/PD13/MD12/HP17

vs PD12:
    1d20+5+1 13 [1d20=7]
    Cold damage:
    3d6 10 [3d6=2, 5, 3]

Elvenshae on
    edited August 2017
    @Mikey CTS

Hedge wizard up!

Also, digging the picture of Kasben!

Elvenshae on
    Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Sorry for the delay. It's been a busy few days. I'll have a post up sometime this afternoon.

edited August 2017
    Defiant to the end, the hedge wizard cackles madly as he tears yet more pages from the tome that burst in to flames. He sprinkles the burning ashes around Kasben snickering with delight as the blue flames illuminate the dark of night. The halfing warrior seems more annoyed by the display than anything else.

Geth roll 1d20+5 vs PD

Damage 4
    Miss Damage 1

Nullzone / Kasben: AC19/PD14/MD11/HP32
    Swordman1 - AC16/PD13/MD12/HP5
    Swordman2 - AC16/PD13/MD12/HP17

Up next... @Brody

vs PD:
    1d20+5 8 [1d20=3]

Mikey CTS on
    edited August 2017
    Flavor text in the following post so its not botp.

Melee Basic Attack against Swordsman 1.

Geth roll 1d20+5 for MBA vs Swordsman 1 16AC
    Geth roll 1d8+4 for Damage on Hit

MBA vs Swordsman 1 16AC:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]
    Damage:
    1d8+4 10 [1d8=6]

Brody on