As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] Thank God I Finally Have A Table For Cannabis Potency.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Hey, I'm writing up a setting that's basically the 2016 real world except the public found out magic exists back in the 1960's.

Problem is, I don't have a good name for it yet. Anyone got a good name for a modern magical setting?

Hard mode: don't have it be an "alliteration and ampersand" (e.g. Dungeons and Dragons, Mutants and Masterminds, etc.) title.
    • Urban Arcana sounds great, but I'm pretty sure that's already a thing.
    • LSD (Let's Summon Demons)
    • Toad the Wet Sprocket

Urban Arcadia was a d20 modern module that added races like elves and dwarves to a modern day setting.

For a second there I read that as Urban Furcadia.

Animal noises and horrible flashbacks sprang into my mind.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Grey_ChocolateGrey_Chocolate Registered User regular
    [joke] Can everyone please stop giving me the names of drugs every time I post on this forum? [/joke]

Hitting the broken computer does not fix the broken computer. Fixing the broken computer, fixes the broken computer.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    [joke] Can everyone please stop giving me the names of drugs every time I post on this forum? [/joke]

Blind-box miniatures!

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Blind-box miniatures!

Fuck you, Heroclix!

gimmie moar

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Grand Theft Alchemy
    Auralynx wrote: »
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Do we every have any games running on Discord or Roll20 etc?

Play by Post is fun, but so slow. I'd totally be down to play something live in a chat environment. Even if it was every-other-week or something for a couple hours in the evening.
    We (That DnD Podcast) play Dungeon World, Apocalypse World, Blades in the Dark, and Star Trek Adventures over Discord/Roll20. We recently finished a Dresden Files Accelerated game, and will be firing up Marvel Heroic Roleplaying soon.

I've been mulling over a crazy MHRP idea if that's the sort of thing that interests you.

I am open to pretty much anything and everything so long as my schedule matches up. Is Marvel Heroic the one where you play established characters, instead of generating your own?

There is a think in the Civil War books for making your own. But for the most part you play established characters. I made a thing for one of my games long ago where I had some character creation rules in place, The Young Avengers game.

Honestly, every MHRP game we had going here play-by-post had some good ideas. I was having a great time as Mr. Freeze when we tried the Arkham game.

E: and a pretty good one as Avalanche in dresdenphile's game, which I hadn't remembered quite as vividly.

The worst part of MHRP's cancellation is that they never got to do the Age of Apocalypse/Exiles sourcebooks. I really wanted official datafiles for those characters! Also, I really want to do an Exiles game where everyone's from a different Earth and having to Sam Beckett everything to make their ways home again.

steam_sig.png
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Grand Theft Alchemy
    Auralynx wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Do we every have any games running on Discord or Roll20 etc?

Play by Post is fun, but so slow. I'd totally be down to play something live in a chat environment. Even if it was every-other-week or something for a couple hours in the evening.
    We (That DnD Podcast) play Dungeon World, Apocalypse World, Blades in the Dark, and Star Trek Adventures over Discord/Roll20. We recently finished a Dresden Files Accelerated game, and will be firing up Marvel Heroic Roleplaying soon.

I've been mulling over a crazy MHRP idea if that's the sort of thing that interests you.

I am open to pretty much anything and everything so long as my schedule matches up. Is Marvel Heroic the one where you play established characters, instead of generating your own?

There is a think in the Civil War books for making your own. But for the most part you play established characters. I made a thing for one of my games long ago where I had some character creation rules in place, The Young Avengers game.

Honestly, every MHRP game we had going here play-by-post had some good ideas. I was having a great time as Mr. Freeze when we tried the Arkham game.

E: and a pretty good one as Avalanche in dresdenphile's game, which I hadn't remembered quite as vividly.

The worst part of MHRP's cancellation is that they never got to do the Age of Apocalypse/Exiles sourcebooks. I really wanted official datafiles for those characters! Also, I really want to do an Exiles game where everyone's from a different Earth and having to Sam Beckett everything to make their ways home again.

Do this. Now. I will have your babies!

• dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Do this. Now. I will have your babies!

Hmm...babies are pretty cool...

steam_sig.png
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    I would be enthused about a MHRP game, though not to the point of infants being involved.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I've always found it surprising that Weis Productions never took the MHRPG system and spun it off into something generic.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    Cortex Prime finished its Kickstarter a month or so back and is by the same guy what did Marvel Heroic and will basically be that and more.

Maclay wrote: »
    Cortex Prime finished its Kickstarter a month or so back and is by the same guy what did Marvel Heroic and will basically be that and more.

Oh, cool. I haven't really been checking kickstarters in a while.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    a
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I've always found it surprising that Weis Productions never took the MHRPG system and spun it off into something generic.

Didn't they turn it into the Valiant RPG?

rRwz9.gif
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    No it's based on cortex which is used in Firefly, Leverage, Smallville, and probably something I'm forgetting.
    Valiant uses the Cue system from Cosmic Patrol.

Neaden on
    I've poked through Valiant, and while it's definitely similar in some ways, it's not the same thing.

• Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    just a heads up, anyone who is interested in the Blades in the Dark Special Edition that didn't back the KS, Evil Hat has a limited # available on the webstore

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    just a heads up, anyone who is interested in the Blades in the Dark Special Edition that didn't back the KS, Evil Hat has a limited # available on the webstore

buy that book

Is it just a prettier version, or is there more to it?

Is it just a prettier version, or is there more to it?

It has a bonus setting -- U'duasha, an Iruvian city. Not as fleshed out as Duskvol but very different.

Mostly it's prettier. And has not one but two bookmark ribbons.

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Hey, I'm writing up a setting that's basically the 2016 real world except the public found out magic exists back in the 1960's.

Problem is, I don't have a good name for it yet. Anyone got a good name for a modern magical setting?

Hard mode: don't have it be an "alliteration and ampersand" (e.g. Dungeons and Dragons, Mutants and Masterminds, etc.) title.

Age of Aquarius
    Name has already been used for a Russian game in a different genre, but fits this idea better I think.

I went into last night's session with the intent of tying some plot threads together and trying to push the campaign onto a path that would lead to a satisfying climax in three or four sessions.

Then two of my PCs tried to kill each other before a third decided to end the fight by exploding both of them. And himself.

And thus endeth Season 1.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Wow

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    I went into last night's session with the intent of tying some plot threads together and trying to push the campaign onto a path that would lead to a satisfying climax in three or four sessions.

Then two of my PCs tried to kill each other before a third decided to end the fight by exploding both of them. And himself.

Wow, I think this means you win the Best GM Award.

• OatsOats Registered User regular

In our defense, you did give my hunter of demons the stated goal of "protect this person from demons" and @TheRoadVirus' demon the stated goal of "get that nerd's soul".

It was a goddamn blast, and Blades in the Dark is good times.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    A campaign season that ends with half the party murdering one another is a good campaign season.

Iron Kingdoms 3.5(don't ever do this), the party consists of a Human Gunmage, his brother-in-law, an Ogrun from the Tome of Battle, a Paladin of Morrow, my Trollkin Fellcaller(think a bard, if bards exploded heads by shouting), and an Idrian mage/rogue.

So a while back, we had handled some Black Ogrun weapons, which are tainted with a berserker rage virus, and all got infected unknowingly. We also found an ancient evil carriage, which we hooked up to our draft horses and slowly mutated them into flesh eating monstrosities.

So we fight an encampment of dwarves that are sitting on a ruin we need access to, charging the carriage in and generally slaughtering them all, as adventurers do. The encounter is almost clear, when one of the horses takes an AoE hit and explodes, damaging our Ogrun and sending him into a berserk rage.

The Ogrun attacks the nearest thing, the Paladin's horse, sending her into an angry fit, and she attacks the Ogrun, thinking he's finally been corrupted by evil artifacts and needs to go down. She attacks with a Smite Evil power attack, crits, and sends him to the grave.

The Gunmage sees this and promptly enters his own berserk rage, shooting the paladin point blank, critting, and executing her. The rogue at this point wisely decided to turn invisible and leave forever.

Finally, my Trollkin flips out, fails his save against berserking, and savagely beats the Gunmage to death, only coming back to sensibility after everyone was dead. He determined it was evil magic and picked up the Paladin's holy greatsword to go on a quest of redemption.

Good times.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Our odd Savage Worlds Pirates & Dungeons is probably going to end in party murder.

It's very likely that I'm going to end up planting a very, very large explosive under the bunk of our 4 armed combat monster. I've threatened to blow up the entire ship in the past during some of the party disagreements.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze

Honestly, it didn't feel like GMing for most of the night. Even with my loosey goosey "go be awesome" style.

I felt more like a guest referee than anything else.

Honestly, it didn't feel like GMing for most of the night. Even with my loosey goosey "go be awesome" style.

I felt more like a guest referee than anything else.

Exactly.

It's incredible when you can just sit back and watch a whole session's worth of chaos unfold purely based on role-played inter-party conflict.

That was my latest session of Apocalypse World.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    A campaign season that ends with half the party murdering one another is a good campaign season.
    To be fair, the explosion I initiated against the two warring was nonlethal* because I rolled a crit.

* - for certain values of nonlethal. We're all in jail now, and one of us is probably gonna die. But I stopped the argument! :lol:

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Every time I see OptimusZed and DarkPrimus talking to each other in a thread, with their similar avatars, I start to feel a little dizzy.

• McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    Our Coriolis game about mystical archaeologists in search of answers on quantum-entangled laughing monkey idols and a space fighter from beyond time last finished at a shrine, where the Judge, one of the 9 gods of the Third Horizon, offered the characters a vision. So yesterday we played out the vision using 10 candles. It was very good. Most players are very traditional and experienced players, so the shift to a more collaborative experience was awkward at first but when it clicked it worked really well. The ritual aspect of 10 candles is just perfect: the encroaching darkness as play advances and doom approaches, the recording of last messages at the beginning of play which are played back when the last candle is snuffed, the repeated "These things are true, darkness closes in and we are still alive.", etc. A minor criticism is that the last two players were so lucky at the end that we had to artificially generate events past the point where they would have logically died until they failed a roll.

Delduwath wrote: »
    Every time I see OptimusZed and DarkPrimus talking to each other in a thread, with their similar avatars, I start to feel a little dizzy.

Hey, mine is only sometimes- yeah alright.

• Grey_ChocolateGrey_Chocolate Registered User regular

Which one decided to commit suicide because he sacrificed NPCs in a video game, and then his whole mind/self/personality/brain was preserved on a single floppy disc?

Hitting the broken computer does not fix the broken computer. Fixing the broken computer, fixes the broken computer.
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I'm sad. My Dungeon World game didn't happen.

We're definitely not the same person. Even if no one can quite remember which of us they're talking to at any given time.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Random Prompt: Powerful hobgoblins learn common and form Fantasy Switzerland.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    edited August 2017

We're definitely not the same person. Even if no one can quite remember which of us they're talking to at any given time.

Hey I thought you already responded to this post earlier on the page?

DarkPrimus on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    The last session of Dungeon World I played in last week ended with my wizard redirecting a flesh-to-stone ritual at a party member from a cult leader I had a grudge against at the last second because our rogue decided to complete their ritual on himself. It being Dungeon World and being more player-drive narrative, it was decided that the daggers that the party had been playing yakkety-sax keepaway from the cult in their sacrifice room were cursed in some way to make him want to do that. Next session is going to be interesting.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Our group is running a Blades in the Dark campaign, as much as "scrabble for territory among rival gangs" is a campaign. Our business model is a little unorthodox:
    The den is an abandoned wax museum (Madam Threetoe's Historiana and Simacularium), in which the two acanically inclined members have rigged up a blank dummy with wards and invitational enchantments to allow wandering spirits to possess it and come to us for help. We sell information to ghosts, and also offer our services in getting post-last minute revenge on murders, locating and distributing stashes that aren't mentioned in wills, that sort of thing. The church hates us.

The highlight of the campaign so far was attempting to summon one or two poltergeists in a apartment building in order to play Ghostbusters for cash and fame, and accidentally summoning a greater demon instead that killed about a dozen people before we were able to bring it down. Our next plot is to find a buyer for this demon's soul because we have it in a jar in the office after catching it and we sure as hell don't want it around for any longer than we have to and throwing it away is out of the question.

Result of the above:
    The team's information broker/fence provided us with three options for whom to sell the demon soul:
    a) A fairly major occultist group in the city who were already suspecting us of having summoned the thing in the first place and in no uncertain terms told us to stick to the kiddie pool of seances. Benefits: cash and a reputation boost with that faction.
    b) A nobleman who was dabbling in the dark arts as something of a hobbyist. Benefits: more cash, a potential contact in high society and maybe even patronage in the future.
    c) A third group about whom not much was known, but they apparently had the cash to spread around. Benefits: the same amount of money from option A, but no other known effects

We went with the first choice, since as noted before we were already on their shit list for summoning the thing and selling it to somebody else would probably just make things worse. Also, the group's summoner had had to briefly trick the demon into thinking he was its loyal servant at the instant of the summoning to avoid being gutted like a fish, so the betrayal during the final fight was something big. (Even in its jar, the GM was progressing a "Marked by the demon" project clock which that character's player was getting really antsy about.)

On the way to the meeting with group A, the team was jumped by a bunch of cloaked figures who demanded the soul jar. We were able to scuffle past them and fled to the headquarters of the occultist group, and our assailants backed off and fled rather than pursue us. The jar was sold, gold acquired, and the deal completed. Then we went on to carry out the actual intended mission of the evening, stealing an experimental "etheric amplifier" that would allow us to broadcast commercials for our services into the spectral plane, driving up future business among the city's ghost population ("Not even the sweet release of death is enough to escape ads!").

During the post-mission downtime, the leader of one of the area's largest factions barged into our den shaking a newspaper and demanding to know what we were up to; back-page news featured the brutal beating murder of an unidentified person who we all nonetheless recognized as the fence we'd relied on to broker the soul deal.

That revelation was the closer of the night, but we all automatically assume it's group C. Unfortunately, nobody knows who that group actually was, and the only person we know who had contact with them is dead. The good news is that we happen to be in the business of talking to spirits.

Our next plan is to stage a raid on the local Spirit Warden collection facility* to steal the fence's corpse and ensure her spirit is able to speak with us. Wish us luck.

*note for those unfamiliar with the setting and possibly our own table's world-building:
    Ghosts are generally really bad, and anyone who dies has their spirit become a ghost if their body isn't collected in three days and has some kind of process done to them. This process is believed to convert the soul into energy that powers a ghost-repelling fence that surrounds the entire city, keeping out the hordes of malevolent spirits that roam the countryside. Dead bodies get marked and located incredibly quickly by birds circling overhead, and the Spirit Wardens are usually able to collect a body reasonably soon after death.

We reasoned that such a sprawling operation had to be heavily bureaucratized, with satellite facilities sending out heavily guarded pickup crews to collect corpses when the birds appear. This meant that there had to be Spirit Warden offices in pretty much every neighborhood, keeping records of bodies collected and sending them on to a more centralized processing facility.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png