As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Sometimes story decisions were made by tournament winners. Sometimes they were made by all dues paying members of a clan. Whether or not a clan would accept certain temptations and cut their imperial throne scores in half was a big thing later on.

What is this I don't even.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Oh hey, looks like they DID keep good records. :)

http://www.jadehand.com/tourneys/index2.php?year=1996

Edit: Good lord. Even at an accelerated pace, I guess I didn't realize just how much the story was being driven. That's... man, it would be maddening to write by committee by that.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    So single individuals or clans, for the most part? That's the impression I had. Which makes this choice more interesting as well, and more thematic. The Emperor (FFG) is going to make a decision. His advisors from various clans (players who earn the opportunity) give their recommendations. The tie-breakers are thematic as well.

It seems really well thought out from both player interaction, future story impact, and design/development impact.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    And already there are folks talking about raising money and posting bounties to get the vote to go a certain way. :/

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I think it would be interesting to see a Scorpion character with negative Glory, so that they only get a bonus if they're dishonored. Would be a neat way of taking advantage of the mechanic!

edited August 2017
    Okay. Played my first game - not to completion, but with the Kolat demo decks, teaching a friend who was very tired (so it went slow).

I was Phoenix, he was Dragon.
    • I forgot how much of a pain in the ass it is to sleeve L5R decks.
    • The fate economy is so wild. Choosing rings to get more fate, choosing rings to remove fate, trying to keep your characters honored, trying to dishonor your opponents..
    • I love pulling tricks from the conflict deck.
    • It is not easy to teach the timing windows to people - the learn to play doesn't even introduce the action windows outside of the dynasty phase!
    • To me, it was very simple to keep track of which actions had been used or not. My opponent wanted tokens.
    • He called it a game of "all Martell, All the time." As he is a Martell player, he loved that kind of shenanigans!
    • I'm not sure I was winning. He dumped a ton of fate on one character early and started loading it up with attachments. Then the champion card stole my champion's ability, causing her to go home way earlier than she should have.
    • It's weird seeing two copies of the same card in your provinces. I hope I played the "As an action" to get fate on it properly.
    • I want to play again. Which reminds me, I need to see if the Unicorn demo deck is available.

Edit: IT IS!

Athenor on
    Guess what time it is. It's Shoju time.

(With friends.)

persona4celestia.jpg
    Good lord is he scary.

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    If the clan does focus on debuffs like I think, he is even scarier.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Oh hey he's Daenerys Targaryen.

Athenor wrote: »
    Oh hey, looks like they DID keep good records. :)

http://www.jadehand.com/tourneys/index2.php?year=1996

Edit: Good lord. Even at an accelerated pace, I guess I didn't realize just how much the story was being driven. That's... man, it would be maddening to write by committee by that.

The amount of information available is amazing. The scale of player involvement was way larger than I expected.

Played another game against a local GoT champ. This time I played the Unicorn demo deck, and he played Dragon.

Observations:
    1. Provinces break fast if you aren't able to defend... let alone if the province self-destructs.
    2. Man it sucks to tie strength and not be able to rout someone.
    3. I committed everything.. EVERYTHING I had and couldn't break the final stronghold because of his champion.
    4. It really did come down to stronghold vs. Stronghold, which was an awesome feeling.
    5. It's important to remember that just because you don't commit defenders at the beginning of a battle, doesn't mean you can't declare them via actions later. *cough*Unicorn*cough*
    6. EVERYTHING IS A BATTLE WITH THE UNICORN! WHEE!

Yeah. I love this game.

The Unicorn fiction news post was updated, with that link replacing the pdf download link that was previously there.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    Mantis clan forever here, had a themed deck box and all. Played through the end of Gold, all of Diamond and some Lotus.
    Will be SO happy to go back to my precious Tsuruchi... can't wait!

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
    Yay, our first example of why it is good the Rules Reference isn't printed in the box -- Borderlands Fortifictions got clarified.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/256267-rules-reference-update/

The Scorpion stronghold's shown up in a review as well. Don't have a clean picture to link, but..
    City of the Open Hand. +1 PS. 10 starting honor, +7 Fate, 10 Influence. Action: If you are less honorable than an opponent, bow this stronghold - take 1 honor from that player.

persona4celestia.jpg
    PMAvers wrote: »
    The Scorpion stronghold's shown up in a review as well. Don't have a clean picture to link, but..
    City of the Open Hand. +1 PS. 10 starting honor, +7 Fate, 10 Influence. Action: If you are less honorable than an opponent, bow this stronghold - take 1 honor from that player.

Ooh, I like that effect.

The stage is set, and the curtains are about to open.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/14/masters-of-deception/

Yup, definitely going to give Scorpion a try. I don't know if I can actually handle the challening playstyle but I love the flavor for the clan and the mechanics look fun.

Scorpion looks powerful but exhausting to play well, which is exactly what I imagine being a clan member must feel like.

edited August 2017
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Not surprising as review copies are hitting peoples hands. Still, good stuff in there.

• TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Buddy and I played with the L2P guide's starter Lion and Crane decks last night. That was a lot of fun. The back and forth actions during a conflict make each battle quite tense, never quite sure what your opponent may have in their hand to throw wrenches into the gears. I can't wait for Thursday.

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Can't wait to actually buy this game and try it out.

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Scorpion looks powerful but exhausting to play well, which is exactly what I imagine being a clan member must feel like.

This is pretty much how Scorpion has always played, outside of Scratlings.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
    edited August 2017
    Article up talking a little bit more about the Crys Festival. The Kiku Matsuri.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    You know, thinking about it, I'm actually surprised there aren't some basic +1 or -1 skill tokens in the box.

Doing some digging around to see if I can find any of my old shitty lantern ones. At least I found one of the old Emperor Edition starter deck boxes, which were super nice and should act as a handy deckbox for the Thursday event.

Also something I'm surprised I still have.

zvIJDHn.jpg

persona4celestia.jpg
    Ah, that's right. I just got a new Unicorn dice bag that I couldn't find while packing. I need to find that.

edited August 2017
    Oh, there they are.
    jFsKod2.jpg

I kinda forgot how much of a pain they were. Thought they came with more hats.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited August 2017
    Don't forget, the rules involve clearly calling out your political/military strength in conflicts when they change. The scorpion may manipulate it, but don't be a dick and hide the values.

Athenor on
    Definitely going to be using dice for this game. Might even invest in a spindown d20.

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Oh, there they are.
    jFsKod2.jpg

I remember getting those when I joined the Imperial Assembly. Never actually used them, though.

The tokens that came in the Emperor Edition boxes were a lot more useful.

cckerberos.png
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Probably a bit late but if anyone going to Gencon somehow happens to get a core set theyre not going to use, and if that core set were somehow sent to my address, that person might somehow end up with some extra dollars in their pocket.

edited August 2017
    cckerberos wrote: »
    Oh, there they are.
    jFsKod2.jpg

I remember getting those when I joined the Imperial Assembly. Never actually used them, though.

The tokens that came in the Emperor Edition boxes were a lot more useful.

Yeah, I've been digging around trying to find the EE ones, but I can't seem to find any. Only have this EE box because I used it to store something I print & played a while back, and so it was available. All of my really old stuff is buried in a lot of really old boxes that have no rhyme or reason how they're sorted. Might look around and see if I can find one while on the GenCon floor?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    The actual page for the Scorpion fiction went up.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/16/the-world-a-stage/

Also it's mentioned that they're going to be doing new fictions every other week?

persona4celestia.jpg
    ::vibrates::

L5R mats are going to be for sale, because of course they are.

Guh, someone get me a sweet mat. :(