As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Over the weekend I learned my friend owned Food Chain Magnate. We have scheduled a 3-4 player game for next Tuesday, which I'm really looking forward to.
    Is there anything I should look up before then to help ease the learning curve?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    I'm waiting to open Pandemic Legacy when we actually get it to the table. I want that to be a real moment, I think.

This is a good idea.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    We're about to start Pandemic Legacy too. So I'd like to say how thankful I am to everyone here with how well you've kept Legacy details in spoilers. I sincerely appreciate it.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Over the weekend I learned my friend owned Food Chain Magnate. We have scheduled a 3-4 player game for next Tuesday, which I'm really looking forward to.

Just know it's very easy to screw yourself out of the game. If someone is going for one of the achievement cards, make sure you go after it the same turn otherwise they're gone 4EVS

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Does Century Spice what have heavy weighted poker chips as a component? (y/n)

If no, not better than Splendor.

I recently made a purchase or two... Inis, Yokohama and finally Pandemic Legacy. I've cracked open the other two, I'm waiting to open Pandemic Legacy when we actually get it to the table. I want that to be a real moment, I think.

It has metal coins. Metal.

And bowls. Bowls, for goodness sake! Bowls you can touch.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    7th Continent shipping notice!

All the way from France so could be a while yet.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

I recently made a purchase or two... Inis, Yokohama and finally Pandemic Legacy. I've cracked open the other two, I'm waiting to open Pandemic Legacy when we actually get it to the table. I want that to be a real moment, I think.

No but theres like a zillion candy colored cubes, lots of trading them around and no fighting over them.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    We're about to start Pandemic Legacy too. So I'd like to say how thankful I am to everyone here with how well you've kept Legacy details in spoilers. I sincerely appreciate it.

The surprises are what make the game fun! We like experiencing it along with you guys as much as we did running through it ourselves.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

Got mine too. 6 days from Texas to Missouri, I could drive there and back and have gotten it in one. Oh well.

While poking around BGG, I stumbled across this nifty little wallet-slayer:

http://www.boardgamepricenotifier.com

Short version is it lets you link your BGG wishlist and emails you a daily summary of the current best prices of each.

Chiselphane on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

Yes I also had mine today. Guess who is going on vacation for a week tomorrow..

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular

Touchable bowls = GOTY

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Now I find myself wondering what an untouchable bowl would look like.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

Kevin Costner with a bad haircut?

• Options

612LG6zaqKL._SX355_.jpg

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

612LG6zaqKL._SX355_.jpg

That's an awesome bowl for Get Bit

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular

That's nice and all. But I'm personally of the opinion that poker chips are the finest component. I even replace money in games with the very nice poker chips I own whenever the rules allow, like Lords of Vegas.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Touchable bowls = GOTY

I will say that sleeving the cards makes the immaculate tray worthless.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Every time this all comes up I feel the need to go buy nice poker chips and a bag of metal coins to make my games nicer.

Then I balk at the prices and not do it.

One day.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Yeah I would do some moderately shameful things for some nice metal coins

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Damn. I completely missed the pledge manager for SUPERHOT and only just realized. I guess they didn't email/message, relying only on updates. Damn, y'all, if I stayed subscribed to EVERYTHING I Kickstarted, I'd never get anything done.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Speaking of neat game accessories that cost way too much, I just put in an order with these guys for some Movement Trays: http://www.litko.net/

All sorts of expensive goodness at that website.

• Options
    Darric wrote: »
    Damn. I completely missed the pledge manager for SUPERHOT and only just realized. I guess they didn't email/message, relying only on updates. Damn, y'all, if I stayed subscribed to EVERYTHING I Kickstarted, I'd never get anything done.

wait really?

updates is the way 99% of them give out information. i've only been on one that used messaging

• Options
    edited August 2017
    I went into a panic after I noticed and checked on the other outstanding 15 games I've backed, and every single one had an email (usually from their pledge manager) or message (which goes to email and can't be disabled). :?

SUPERHOT was the only one that used exclusively a Kickstarter Update to notify about the pledge manager.

Darric on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

In terms of learning the rules:
    The one rule that we missed our first two games - you can't have a manager under a manager in your org chart. Only one level is allowed, directly beneath the CEO.

In terms of learning strategy:
    Don't forget you can train someone the same turn you hire them.
    Always keep achievements in mind, especially in the early game. For me personally though, I would say don't rush for the advertising or food producing achievements (because people can easily piggyback off your advertising, and you may have to fire your fancy cooks)
    It may be a while before you actually start producing or selling food. Remember that selling happens before advertising creates demand in a turn.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I went into a panic after I noticed and checked on the other outstanding 15 games I've backed, and every single one had an email (usually from their pledge manager) or message (which goes to email and can't be disabled). :?

SUPERHOT was the only one that used exclusively a Kickstarter Update to notify about the pledge manager.

oh oh ok i see what you mean. yeah i usually get some kind of extra notification about the pledge manager.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »

oh oh ok i see what you mean. yeah i usually get some kind of extra notification about the pledge manager.

I'm not gonna pretend this isn't entirely my own fault though. :D It's just been frustrating realizing people have been receiving theirs and mine isn't even en route. ><

Darric on
  • Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    If it helps (I know it probably doesn't), I filled out the pledge manager info early on but mine still only got sent on its way a couple of days ago, so you could have been waiting this long anyway.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Star Realms just passed 1 million dollars on their KS with hours left to go. That unlocked all the stretch goals. Damn!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Well alright, alright, alright. 7th Continent tracking shows it due to arrive next Thursday, but it's in Chicago as of today so should actually arrive either tomorrow or Monday. This War of Mine is due to arrive by Tuesday. I'm having a game night with friends on Saturday where I plan to try Century Spice Road and Tigris & Euphrates for the first time, along with re-visiting Ethnos and some old favorites. And next Wednesday I make the drive to Indy with a friend for Gen Con.

Should be a pretty damn good week+ of gaming.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Going to be going on a retreat with my new job this upcoming week, it's an overnighter and I know we are essentially free past 7pm so I thought I'd bring some games in case folks want to play.

Thinking Hive and Love Letter for sure, wondering if there are any other camping style games you folks recommend.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    The usual party game suspects:

- Mascarade
    - Codenames (team building!)
    - Cash and Guns (box a bit too big)

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    We somehow managed to get our Fear game rolling, though, and snatched our first Terror victory from the jaws of a seemingly-inevitable blight defeat (literally one remaining on the card) when Nightmares found the big lightning major power that let it generate a whopping 10 fear (3 from the card, and the card's damage would have destroyed a town and a city so that generated 7 more via Nightmares' ability).

Upon further review, we actually lost this one. We misplayed the Blight Card and wound up adding an extra 3 blight to the pool that we shouldn't have had. Our first loss!

• Options
    The usual party game suspects:

- Mascarade
    - Codenames (team building!)
    - Cash and Guns (box a bit too big)

Cash and guns can be downsized considerably if you do finger guns instead of the foam ones, but it's not quite as fun feeling.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Going to be going on a retreat with my new job this upcoming week, it's an overnighter and I know we are essentially free past 7pm so I thought I'd bring some games in case folks want to play.

Thinking Hive and Love Letter for sure, wondering if there are any other camping style games you folks recommend.

Arboretum is small

Sushi go

Coup

Skulls and roses

sig.gif
  • Options
    Fate of the Elder Gods showed up yesterday. It's so pretty, they actually ink washed the minis.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Second game I have ever backed, but I love me some Flashpoint, so this new expac is right up my alley ++link to kickstarter removed, apologies++

I was disappointed in the game of Flashpoint they ran on Tabletop, because they set the difficulty way too high for a group of novices who didnt even go for an optimal team or strategy. Even before they started I could tell they didnt have a chance to come out on top.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Aldo wrote: »
    Second game I have ever backed, but I love me some Flashpoint, so this new expac is right up my alley

I was disappointed in the game of Flashpoint they ran on Tabletop, because they set the difficulty way too high for a group of novices who didnt even go for an optimal team or strategy. Even before they started I could tell they didnt have a chance to come out on top.

Thanks for the heads up! Flash Point is one of the first designer games I purchased and has a special place in my heart. I haven't been able to back every Kickstarter, but I've been able to collect all but one expansion (Dangerous Waters) so far.

And yeah, when they mentioned the difficulty they were playing at I knew they were trying to lose. I hated that they played the game in such a way that would likely turn people away from it as being too difficult when it really scales nicely for kids and adults and people who've played the game over and over.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    @Aldo as a heads up it's against the rules to link to active kickstarters

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Second game I have ever backed, but I love me some Flashpoint, so this new expac is right up my alley

Be warned that indie cards and games are famous for not being able to match card sizes or colours between prints (or even believing it's possible) so expansion materials can't be blended invisibly with base copies that weren't produced during the same print run. I'm not super familiar with the game so maybe it doesn't matter but it caused a bit of drama with the coup and the resistance expansions.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    9ywv62v2kw5e.jpg

Rumours of TI4 are stirring up.

Hot. I shouldn't buy it. I probably will.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule